Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Benedictine on the rocks is a bit too sweet and thick for me. The brandy / cognac balances it just right for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

LionYeti posted:

So I got some Johnny Walker Black on deep discount that made it only like 4 dollars more then my standard cocktail scotch Monkey Shoulder. Anyone have ideas for a good drink that can leverage Black Label specifically?

Honestly, no. JW trades on their name alone and doesn't really make very good scotch compared to the newer brands. All their bottles are exceedingly middle-of-the-road.

And speaking of Benedictine, my bar has had a liter bottle of it haunting us for a year now so we rolled out a modified Chrysanthemum this month to use it up.

2oz celery leaf infused Dolin Dry vermouth
1oz Benedictine
1tsp Malort

Stirred and garnished with orange peel. It's beautiful. The tiny amount of Malort brings a crisp bitterness that really rounds out the impression of fresh celery. Low ABV stirred drinks with richness and depth of flavor are a fun challenge, y'all should give it a shot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha that's awesome. I love seeing Malort used in ways that are not a joke.

Lemme just check if Bar Mixel suggests any recipes

e: yes, but mostly jokes

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I got the unleaded kind, on the assumption that if I want benedictine + brandy I have brandy

Is B&B good in its own right, vs the regular?

B&B just has basic brandy mixed in, if you've got brandy you like you'll make a better B&B than the bottle. I think plain Benedictine is way more flexible even though I never drink it alone.

prayer group posted:

Honestly, no. JW trades on their name alone and doesn't really make very good scotch compared to the newer brands. All their bottles are exceedingly middle-of-the-road.

Agreed except Green Label is legit good; since this is the cocktail thread I imagine it would make a fantastic Rob Roy or whatever (granted, it would be totally cost-prohibitive for a bar). Red Label's awful, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Black Label if you can get it for cheap enough (= eq to lower-middle-shelf blends), it's just overpriced. I do think it's $4 better than Monkey Shoulder (which I find has some weird off-flavor I hate), anyway, even if it's not something that has a unique personality worth highlighting.

That celery leaf cocktail sounds great also. Underused ingredient!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

LionYeti posted:

So I got some Johnny Walker Black on deep discount that made it only like 4 dollars more then my standard cocktail scotch Monkey Shoulder. Anyone have ideas for a good drink that can leverage Black Label specifically?

Are you sure you mean JW Black? I like it well enough for what it is, but a) its usually cheaper than Monkey Shoulder near me and b) Monkey Shoulder is more well-regarded overall.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I was at the Hard Rock Puerto Vallarta they had JW Black on tap in my suite. That was pretty cool and boy did I get my money's worth.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Data Graham posted:

Hahaha that's awesome. I love seeing Malort used in ways that are not a joke.

Lemme just check if Bar Mixel suggests any recipes

e: yes, but mostly jokes

if you haven't already, you need to try the best malort cocktail, the

Hard Sell
3/4 oz gin
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz Malort
3/4 oz St. Germain

it tastes exactly like bitter grapefruit juice. i have made this for many people, both wittingly and un-. among more than a dozen malort-haters, only one person didnt like it (and she was one of my former coworkers who insisted she could never like any gin drink, so I made her a Singapore Sling . . . and she didnt like it! so i made an abomination just using vodka instead, and she did like it. to have that discerning and wrong of a palate...?!)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any recommendations for absinthes to drink on its own?

I know the classic ratio is around 1:5 with water, but the dripping things takes so long I'll probably just use simple syrup instead, any recommendations for how much to add?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've always found La Clandestine to be the best starting point for "I'm interested in drinking absinthe"

https://www.absinthes.com/absinthe-la-clandestine-53-70cl/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Pacifique or St Georges

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Last I had Pacifique it was made with neutral grain spirit and not brandy. You can tell it’s lacking in richness. Vieux Pontarlier was my go to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
St George’s is a brandy base

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
La Muse Verte is probably my favorite of all I've tried.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Oh yea I like St George too. Hell I like just about everything they make.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In honor of the thread title, I'm calling this one the Swedish Jefe

2 oz tequila blanco
1 oz lemon
2 big spoonfuls of IKEA lingonberry jam

Shake hard, strain coarsely, serve with chips & salsa

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My easter drink:

2 oz earl grey tea infused gin
1 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz maraschino
1/4 oz elderflower liqueur

Shake over ice and serve up.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

My partner made a Street and Flynn tonight with magnolia syrup instead of ginger syrup. very nice; the cardamom note of the magnolia blossom complements the allspice dram well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

My easter drink:

2 oz earl grey tea infused gin
1 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz maraschino
1/4 oz elderflower liqueur

Shake over ice and serve up.

I really liked this, thanks for sharing. I have a bottle of St. Germain just sorta sitting around so fun things like this are a great find.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I kind of went a little crazy last year with regard to trying all kinds of cocktails and bought a bunch of various ingredients. Que me losing my job, not being able to afford liquer, and a lot of those ingredients going to waste. Now I'm realizing that I really enjoy simple cocktails; frankly I don't think I ever enjoyed a really complex drink more than I do a cuba libre or mojito. One of these days when it's not stupid I need to go to a tiki bar and try some of those drinks; I've had dinners with smaller ingredient lists than those things.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Does anybody else have a full "season" of mint cocktails based on their gardening? Just a me thing? I do a julep inspired whiskey thing boosted by menta fernet and a mojito with Jamaican white overproof.

Anyway it's coming up now and I'm psyched.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 7, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sarrisan posted:

I kind of went a little crazy last year with regard to trying all kinds of cocktails and bought a bunch of various ingredients. Que me losing my job, not being able to afford liquer, and a lot of those ingredients going to waste. Now I'm realizing that I really enjoy simple cocktails; frankly I don't think I ever enjoyed a really complex drink more than I do a cuba libre or mojito. One of these days when it's not stupid I need to go to a tiki bar and try some of those drinks; I've had dinners with smaller ingredient lists than those things.

OK

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Man, these forums are filled with inane posts from people just chilling and shooting the poo poo. You don't have to be an rear end about it lol.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Made my first sazerac last night and....Absinthe is not for me. If anyone lives in MN I’ll give you a good deal on a bottle lol. I had a bunch of total wine gift cards, which I normally use for bottles I wouldn’t normally spend the money on, in this case, a bottle of Pernod.

I also made a ‘board shorts’:
Bourbon
Luxardo
Orgeat
Pineapple juice
Lemon juice
Peychaud

That was quite good! But man, a little luxardo really goes a long ways doesn’t it? I think this called for 1/4 ounce and it was definitely heard on the palate!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drinking margaritas with Teremana Blanco, I know celeb liquor is often gimmick, but it makes a drat fine margarita. That is 2/1/.75 Marg.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Must be Sazerac week because I just discovered that this week. I usually only drink Screwdrivers and Harvey Wallbangers so I’m trying to get the hang of brown liquors against every natural instinct. Apparently the secret is sugar cubes because I do like Sazeracs.

I do have reservations with rinsing a glass with literally the most expensive booze in my liquor cabinet (absinthe).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You gotta learn how to do the thing where you put like a teaspoon of absinthe in the glass, then toss it into the air while spinning it with a bit of wobble to coat the glass that way. It's not as hard as it looks with practice, and is cool as hell. Only do it for the first round tho.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah absinthe definitely might not be for you, so I don't want to come across as telling you I know better than you, but how did you try it? I find it's very different in a frappe vs a corpse reviver #2 vs a sazerac. A little can go a long way, but a little can also really change a drink and not be noticeably absinthe in a way that you might dislike.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I was playing around more with gin sours last night, and I made the most refreshing one ever after getting hot working in the backyard all evening. 2oz london dry (beefeater in this case), 1oz lemon juice, 1/2 simple, 1/2 campari. Shaken and then over ice in a rocks glass, It was pink like pepto bismol but not thick. Good balance and thirst quenching. Like, I'm sure there's an actual name for this that I don't know but I'm happy I stumbled upon it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Carillon posted:

Yeah absinthe definitely might not be for you, so I don't want to come across as telling you I know better than you, but how did you try it? I find it's very different in a frappe vs a corpse reviver #2 vs a sazerac. A little can go a long way, but a little can also really change a drink and not be noticeably absinthe in a way that you might dislike.

I’ll definitely try something else with it, because I don’t give up that easy! The first tiki recipe I saw with absinthe called for 1.5 oz, which is a big nope for me right now, but that corpse reviver looks intriguing.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Most tiki drinks call for measurements dosed by eyedroppers. You were right to be weary, anything calling for 1.5oz of absinthe is going to taste like nothing but absinthe.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah. Even a half teaspoon of absinthe in a drink can dramatically change the flavor of it, often in a nicely pleasant and complex way.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

Man, these forums are filled with inane posts from people just chilling and shooting the poo poo. You don't have to be an rear end about it lol.

You also don't have to show up to a cooking thread and proclaim you don't like the food they're talking about cooking, but here we are

Krispy Wafer posted:

I do have reservations with rinsing a glass with literally the most expensive booze in my liquor cabinet (absinthe).

Rinse the glass, pour the extra into a shot glass and serve it as a little sip on the side

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 8, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

get an atomizer

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Just learn to love absinthe, if you can. It’s perfectly normal to not like something the first time you try it. I hated Campari at first, but now it’s one of my favorite things.

Even trying a new cocktail or beer or whatever, I always give it at least two sips before I make up my mind.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Re: Sazerac chat, I really think glass-rinsing with absinthe or whatever is silly. Absinthe doesn't have enough sugar content to coat the inside of a glass; it'll just pool at the bottom. Just add a teaspoon of absinthe to the cocktail when you're building it, then spritz the top of the drink with an atomizer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

prayer group posted:

Re: Sazerac chat, I really think glass-rinsing with absinthe or whatever is silly. Absinthe doesn't have enough sugar content to coat the inside of a glass; it'll just pool at the bottom. Just add a teaspoon of absinthe to the cocktail when you're building it, then spritz the top of the drink with an atomizer.

I had a feeling this sort of thing was the case, there's got to be a ton of woo-magic/traditionalist incantations and poo poo in cocktail making that are really just there for show anymore

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The absinthe is there for the aroma more than anything.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

prayer group posted:

Absinthe doesn't have enough sugar content to coat the inside of a glass; it'll just pool at the bottom.

It coats just fine when I chill the glass first. Coating the glass definitely makes a difference in the aroma compared to just adding it to the drink, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When I make corpse reviver #2s I just throw some absinthe in a coupe and swirl it before pouring the rest in.

Don’t fill the glass and throw absinthe away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

prayer group posted:

Nah, it definitely works. If I don’t have an atomizer available I’ll add 1/8~1/4oz of absinthe and a few cubes to my glass. Stir to chill and coat while stirring the cocktail. Get two birds stoned at once