Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

You also don't have to show up to a cooking thread and proclaim you don't like the food they're talking about cooking, but here we are

Rinse the glass, pour the extra into a shot glass and serve it as a little sip on the side

i'm sorry for making a comment? i literally mentioned going all in on cocktails last year when i had money and i had fun, but now i don't have money and i found i'm still able to enjoy myself regardless. my bad i guess lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

Re: Sazerac chat, I really think glass-rinsing with absinthe or whatever is silly. Absinthe doesn't have enough sugar content to coat the inside of a glass; it'll just pool at the bottom. Just add a teaspoon of absinthe to the cocktail when you're building it, then spritz the top of the drink with an atomizer.

This sounds like a great excuse to drink some Sazeracs and test it out! I definitely notice it coating the glass when I atomize, I haven't swirled in a minute so can't speak too precisely there. Thread project is to do a blind taste test and see what the preference is!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sarrisan posted:

i'm sorry for making a comment? i literally mentioned going all in on cocktails last year when i had money and i had fun, but now i don't have money and i found i'm still able to enjoy myself regardless. my bad i guess lol.

Don't engage with turds

I'll give you some practice: hey asshat, learn to use your shift key!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I’m gonna side with fart car on this one. It’s weird to come into this thread and completely ignore the discussion at hand just to say “Hey everybody, there are some cocktails I like and there are some cocktails I don’t like. Can’t wait to go back to bars again, right? Well, bye!”

Also my Sazerac opinion is largely informed by practicality behind the bar. No one rinses a glass the same way, and a teaspoon plus a few spritzes is much more duplicatable between bartenders. At home, definitely make it whatever way makes you happy.

Have y’all explored absinthe alternatives much in that cocktail? The owner of the restaurant I work at wants me to work on one with Malort and I think it could work nicely.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t even realize atomizers were a thing with cocktails. Mind blown. I’ll have to try that with the absinthe instead of the typical rinse.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Malort would be interesting that's for sure. I could see chartreuse working or at least being interesting.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Atomizers suck

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Atomizers suck

Counter point: no u

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Atomizers suck

I think you'll find they also blow.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Maestro posted:

Atomizers suck

fancy lipstick case looking purpose made atomizers do suck and are overpriced--but you can buy generic tiny glass bottles with plastic spray tops for super cheap and they work really well

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally got my hands on some cherry Heering, and tried it in an Aviation subbed for Luxardo: ehhhh. The cherry fights with the violette more than complementing it as with maraschino; and the color is even worse. I guess I expected the Heering and violette to make a nice cool purple, but instead it's more of a brain-vat brown.

Ah well, at least now I know. And now I can do slings, which I do like.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what's pretty good? A Chartreuse caipirinha.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Data Graham posted:

You know what's pretty good? A Chartreuse caipirinha.

:vince:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Omg yes that is a thing.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Please elaborate because that's sounds incredibly intense.
Sub out all the Cachaça for chartreuse? Green or yellow?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah it's pretty heady, but the sugar and lime does a good job of cutting it. Besides I actually quite like Chartreuse just on its own, though a little does go a long way.

(that's after I'd already drunk a bit)

Usually I'm happy enough just going the cachaça route, but this time I thought I'd change it up, and green Chartreuse does go nicely with lime, so it seemed a good fit. (Plus it's already green.) But yeah, sub it all. Apparently there are lots of variants where you fully sub in vodka or rum or even Campari.

Just be sure to use fine sugar and muddle out all the juice from the limes so it fully dissolves before you top it up (large grain sugar just sits there mocking you), and then you gotta do one of those "stir with ice in it" maneuvers which is hard to do gracefully. You don't want it to be incompletely mixed with this one.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Tried it. It's fantastic :tipshat:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Tried it as well, what a fun concoction! I was worried the lime might dominate but it's quite balanced and fun.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mmmmm yeah, I am on board the Chartreuse Caipirinha train. Very nice. I greatly prefer this to The Last Word even though I thought what I didn't like about that one was the lime juice. I've been looking for good vehicles for Chartreuse since I really love the flavor (and yet drinking it neat just feels like some of the flavors are "locked away" somehow) so thanks.

Now I just need other vehicles for Maraschino. But not Aviation...

Edit: Although I am reminded again of what a lightweight I am, wow Chartreuse is strong

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 12, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Now I just need other vehicles for Maraschino. But not Aviation...

I suggest the Elixir Tropical.

2 oz rum
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz orgeat
1/4 maraschino
3 dashes bitters
Mint or basil leaves

Shake it all up, fine strain, garnish with a cherry and more leaves.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I suggest the Elixir Tropical.

2 oz rum
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz orgeat
1/4 maraschino
3 dashes bitters
Mint or basil leaves

Shake it all up, fine strain, garnish with a cherry and more leaves.

Saving for later!

Last night I had an Ancient Mariner, which is a prime example of a quintessential tropical drink. It keeps the rum profile front and center but renders it round and smooth.

3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/4 oz allspice/pimento dram
1 oz demerrara rum
1 oz Jamaican rum

Shake over crushed ice and dump serve. The recommended garnish is a mint sprig and a lime wedge, but I opted for a mint sprig and a flamed grapefruit peel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm also liking the "Arbitrary Nature of Time", mostly because of the name, but also it's nice and complex and uses the Heering well.

1.25 oz bourbon
1 oz Campari
3/4 oz Heering
1 dash orange bitters
2 dash xocolatl mole bitters

It's like a chocolate cherry dunked in a boulevardier.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Next month, once my partner and my vaccines have run their course, we’ll be traveling to Chicago to visit an aging relative. A lot of the bars I might have been interested in visiting will be closed, but I’ve reserved a table at The Office and am planning to swing by Lost Lake as well. If anyone has other recommendations let me know.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Do you think I could substitute Lillet Blanc for Cocchi Americano in this cocktail and have it work? My understanding is that the Cocchi is more bitter, but I wonder if it would be an ok substitution. The grapefruit juice provides the bitterness as well, perhaps an adjustment there?

NECROMANCER
1 1/2 oz Rhum agricole
3/4 oz Grapefruit juice
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Falernum
1 dash Absinthe

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Anyone got a favorite commercially available orgeat?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

I had always used Small Hand Foods before, but I recently tried Liber & Co’s and I’m a convert. It’s richer tasting and less given to separation.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I also like the Liber and Co stuff.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

Do you think I could substitute Lillet Blanc for Cocchi Americano in this cocktail and have it work? My understanding is that the Cocchi is more bitter, but I wonder if it would be an ok substitution. The grapefruit juice provides the bitterness as well, perhaps an adjustment there?

NECROMANCER
1 1/2 oz Rhum agricole
3/4 oz Grapefruit juice
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Falernum
1 dash Absinthe

I’ve used them interchangeably and it’s never spoiled a drink. Also that drink looks good, in fact I’m gonna make one right now while I repaint my bar.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I don't claim to be the authority on anything, but I put about a half oz of Pernod or Herbsaint right in for a sazerac. Just seems the best use of it. Tried real absinthe but buy the more straightforward anise liqueurs. I like it that Herbsaint has the New Orleans heritage.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

tonedef131 posted:

I’ve used them interchangeably and it’s never spoiled a drink. Also that drink looks good, in fact I’m gonna make one right now while I repaint my bar.

Yeah I would agree, they are a little different, but I really don't imagine in that cocktail it'll be a huge difference.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

I don't claim to be the authority on anything, but I put about a half oz of Pernod or Herbsaint right in for a sazerac. Just seems the best use of it. Tried real absinthe but buy the more straightforward anise liqueurs. I like it that Herbsaint has the New Orleans heritage.

Sometimes I do that too, but with ouzo. Because when you marry in to a greek family, there is always ouzo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone have recommendations for a durable Lewis bag?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a durable Lewis bag?

I bought one of the Bulliet branded ones off eBay for $10. Good sturdy bag. I have nothing to compare it too though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The brand I bought isn't available any longer, but just look at reviews and check the description for "triple stitched"

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I bought some Pierre Ferrand 1840 on a whim today, and, wow, that stuff is good. On the rocks was nice, but I made a sazerac with cognac and I thought it shone through.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's my favorite mid-tier cognac for a reason. It's so rich and flavorful.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Trying to enhance my own at home cocktail experience and was going to try and reproduce cocktail I recently had but not sure on ratios. Drink was described as: Del Maguey vida mezcal, Cynar, green chartreuse, orange (oils and garnish).

Any suggested starting points?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Trying to enhance my own at home cocktail experience and was going to try and reproduce cocktail I recently had but not sure on ratios. Drink was described as: Del Maguey vida mezcal, Cynar, green chartreuse, orange (oils and garnish).

Any suggested starting points?

Up, rocks?

If it's up, its probably imo

1.5 mezcal
.75 cynar
.5 chartreuse
.25 simple
Express and drop orange peel

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Up, rocks?

If it's up, its probably imo

1.5 mezcal
.75 cynar
.5 chartreuse
.25 simple
Express and drop orange peel

Yes, up. Thanks! Just out of curiosity how would you modify for on the rocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

lifts cats over head posted:

Yes, up. Thanks! Just out of curiosity how would you modify for on the rocks?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s
1.5 mezcal
1 cynar
.5 chartreuse
Either up or on the rocks. I think it might be on the sweet side already, I’d do cynar 70 to dry it out a touch