Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I wouldn’t bother refrigerating my St. Germain unless I had a ton of extra fridge space. It’s a purely cosmetic change if it happens at all afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I refrigerate some of my liqueurs that are low ABV and don't get used very often as well.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t bother refrigerating my St. Germain unless I had a ton of extra fridge space. It’s a purely cosmetic change if it happens at all afaik.

I once back to back'd an oxidized STG with a fresh one and found some slight difference but it was theorized that one bottle was from before the full Bacardi buyout and the flavor may have slightly changed because of different suppliers, so

It's also murmured that it's UV and not temperature that does it, but again, no controlled tests to my knowledge.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just bought Fee Brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters that were 50% off at the grocery store, and they’re actually okay. I do like the orange tictac fake flavor of their orange bitters and their black walnut is pretty good too so I gave these a chance. Only 17.5% abv vs Angosturas 44.7%. Very mild spice, no burn, smells great but deeply single-note of cinnamon. Barrel aged bitters are generally milder since the point of barrel aging is to take the harsh corners off, so I find these are an acceptable substitute for Ango. That said, I know that Fees flavor profile won’t be for everyone.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 17, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I also like Fee’s candy orange flavor, though I don’t care for their other bitters. I’ve mostly switched over to ango orange just because I can usually buy it at the grocery store.

Drinking on a bottle of batched mai tai’s with super lime tonight. Pure bliss. If I make any drink perfectly, this is it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I finally located a 16 oz Angostura. :getin:

My experiment with doing a Trinidad Sour with only Amaro di Angostura was disappointing, but a 50/50 amaro/bitter mix was fine so I'm going to be doing that. The amaro isn't bad it's just missing some of the harsher notes of the bitters, which turned out to be important.

I love variety too much to be a one drink guy but the Trinidad Sour is a strong choice for my favorite. Never going to be unhappy with a margarita or whiskey sour (with egg) though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I also like Fee’s candy orange flavor, though I don’t care for their other bitters. I’ve mostly switched over to ango orange just because I can usually buy it at the grocery store.

Drinking on a bottle of batched mai tai’s with super lime tonight. Pure bliss. If I make any drink perfectly, this is it.

The orange is the one in their line that stands out to me, but I generally don't care for the glycerin based formulas. If you're particular or go through a lot, the 50-50 mix of Regan's and Fee's ("feegan's") is a wonderfully versatile mix.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I’ve made Bobby Burnses a lot over the holidays while entertaining but haven’t drank much this month. I thought since a Bobby Burns is basically a La Louisiane but with scotch instead of rye I made one tonight and added a dash of Peychauds. Great twist to a great drink!

2 oz Dewars white label
1 oz Cocchi di Torino
.5 oz Benedictine
1 dash Peychauds
Meyer Lemon peel twist

Still drinking Bobby Burnses but put a dash of black walnut bitters in it instead, makes such a great drink. I finished off the bottle of Dewars too.

Any suggestions for a nice mixing scotch to get, I’ve been thinking about trying Cutty Sark again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Famous Grouse and Dewars 18 are my favorite mixing Scotches. They have enough body to stand up to other ingredients but don't overwhelm. Teacher's is also great if you can find it (the US distribution isn't so good).

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally located a 16 oz Angostura. :getin:

My experiment with doing a Trinidad Sour with only Amaro di Angostura was disappointing, but a 50/50 amaro/bitter mix was fine so I'm going to be doing that. The amaro isn't bad it's just missing some of the harsher notes of the bitters, which turned out to be important.

I love variety too much to be a one drink guy but the Trinidad Sour is a strong choice for my favorite. Never going to be unhappy with a margarita or whiskey sour (with egg) though.

Yeah, the Angostura Amaro is great but is way too soft to be an effective sub in a Trinidad Sour. However, it is legitimately a good Amaro that is fun it a lot of recipes (e.g. try subbing half or all the vermouth in a manhattan with it.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I use it in a lot of rum drinks. It's good stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

there's probably names for each one but generally bourbon or rye/amaro/appropriate bitters in the Manhattan 2-1-2 ratios is a winner no matter what Amaro you use, it's actually pretty much my default Amaro consumption method by now lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's apparently called a black Manhattan, I'm absolutely trying that sometime.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think that's with Averna, it's really good.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
To my mind the Black Manhattan is with any amaro, not specifically Averna. It's a good fit for it, sure, but it's getting expensive. You should also try splitting the vermouth side! Do a half ounce vermouth and a half ounce amaro. Handy for making more assertive amari play well with others. Then split the spirit side between whiskey and, say, an overproof rum, and now you've got a very complicated Manhattan.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I tried milk-washing a batch of Paper Planes this past weekend and uhhh... it did not go well. Poured the cocktail into the milk, let it sit for half an hour, poured it into a very fine mesh strainer bag over a big container and let it sit... it's cloudy as gently caress. It's worse than when I began. I got all the larger particles of milk solids out but it's this fine suspension that settles in the fridge after a few hours, but even if I poured the top off, it's still cloudy. Is there a way to fix this?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The only way I've found to fix that is a coffee filter. You have to pour it and wait for it to drain through. I'll often have multiple coffee filters going to help speed things up.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, it takes a long time and numerous filter-throughs.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So there's a few places where you can fix your technique. First of all, I get better results by pouring the milk into the batched cocktail, not the other way around. No idea why. Also, let the batch sit and curdle for longer, ideally a few hours. I strain mine through a very fine mesh nutmilk bag, coffee filters aren't 100% necessary, but what is necessary is pouring back and forth a few times to get the curd bed to form. Remember that the curds are what does the filtration, getting those to settle at the bottom of your strainer makes it strain much more efficiently. Stirring the punch before pouring into the strainer is helpful because it distributes the curds throughout the liquid and allows you to start building the curd bed quickly, instead of just pouring the mostly-already-clarified liquid off the top and through the filter, which doesn't really get anything done.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Ok, good to know, I've got it in a coffee filter in the fridge now, slowly trickling. Hopefully there are enough curds to make the filtration work.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ATK has a good article on this for the future. Scroll down to Dan talking about his findings. Punch to milk he says works best because you're slowly acidifying the solution, so that you can get better clarification. It is what's worked best fo rme. Also at this point I'm able to generally get a decently clear first pass through by using the curds themselves, but it took more than a few batches to really get the feel of it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Carillon posted:

ATK has a good article on this for the future. Scroll down to Dan talking about his findings. Punch to milk he says works best because you're slowly acidifying the solution, so that you can get better clarification. It is what's worked best fo rme. Also at this point I'm able to generally get a decently clear first pass through by using the curds themselves, but it took more than a few batches to really get the feel of it.

That is easily the best-written explanation for how to do this, thank you.

It looks like it's clearing up after another day of going through a coffee filter in the fridge - really glad I didn't lose the whole batch. I just hope it doesn't taste like coffee.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

That is easily the best-written explanation for how to do this, thank you.

It looks like it's clearing up after another day of going through a coffee filter in the fridge - really glad I didn't lose the whole batch. I just hope it doesn't taste like coffee.

If anything, it might taste vaguely of paper.

Assuming the coffee filter isn't, y'know...used.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up
I've been using coffee filters as a finisher for milk punches for a couple years. If you rinse out the filter like you would before making coffee it gets rid of any paper-y flavor.

Even without curds a coffee filter is fine enough to get rid of that particulate matter that can gather at the bottom. I like to do two passes through curds, then a final one through a coffee filter to catch anything remaining.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone tried rice washing? this is new to me but really curious how this would turn out. I wonder how much it adds? Haha sorta blowing my mind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I mean, if you want rice dust as an ingredient in your cocktail, go for it. Unless you are going to thoroughly rinse the rice before this. But even that isn't going to get rid of it all.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The site hides all user comments except for one, and that one basically says "Thanks everybody in the comments for convincing me not to try this at home!"

A ringing endorsement.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Obviously the point of the technique is to get the rice dust into the cocktail.

Have you ever drank the water from washing rice? It’s good. I just simmered some daikon in water from washing rice for part of dinner yesterday. Using rice washing water to cook is a traditional East Asian technique for some dishes.

OP try it and report back. I wouldn’t rice wash everything all the time, but it’s a cool and legit technique.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Apparently it was with sushi rice initially. I'm curious if it works now with all types of rice, as well I was always thinking to wash my rice because you were getting rid of not just starch on the outside. Well I definitely think I need to try it, will do some ab testing, maybe see what happens if you cook that rice afterwards, I can't imagine much, but you never know.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Chartreuse. If you're in Rochester NY, I can let you know who had it (one more bottle left)

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kinda want to get back into brandy. But I don't want stuff that tastes mostly of raisins. Would Ararat from Armenia be good?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Comb Your Beard posted:

Kinda want to get back into brandy. But I don't want stuff that tastes mostly of raisins. Would Ararat from Armenia be good?

Applejack or Tuica

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Armenian stuff is pretty good, though typically a little less aged than European styles.

My favorite brandy is slivovitz. Go for that.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Counterpoint: don’t go for that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Try to find chacha

It’s Georgian and oh my god

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I ended up getting St-Rémy Signature since the VA ABC is more limited. Pleased with it. Next trip to MacArthur beverages in DC I'll keep a look out for these more exotic ones.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2024

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Counterpoint: don’t go for that.

Lookit dis guy who don't like balkan white lightning.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
St Remy is excellent value for the price. Make all the cognac cocktails with it, it’s excellent.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it okay to prep drinks in advance?

I mean, for a tiki drink, prep the alcohol and syrup and let them sit a couple hours? It seems like it should be okay but google isn't much help. I know you don't want juice sitting out, but syrup is more stable, in sitting in a container with the booze seems safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it okay to prep drinks in advance?

I mean, for a tiki drink, prep the alcohol and syrup and let them sit a couple hours? It seems like it should be okay but google isn't much help. I know you don't want juice sitting out, but syrup is more stable, in sitting in a container with the booze seems safe.

Yes, this is totally fine. I make mai tai base with rum, curacao, syrup, saline, and orgeat a day ahead of time and find that it comes out better than mixing it on the spot.