Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Can anyone suggest some good champagne cocktails? I've a fairly well stocked home bar, and I love the French 75 but haven't really made anything else with champagne in it and am looking for inspiration

I'm fond of a Chicago cocktail, which is a brandy old fashioned (brandy, sugar, bitters, to your usual proportions) with a bit (call it 1/4 oz) of Cointreau tossed in. Stir, strain, coupe, and top with an ounce or two of champagne.

Also truly spectacular is the Prince of Wales cocktail, though it is a good deal fiddlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Can anyone suggest some good champagne cocktails? I've a fairly well stocked home bar, and I love the French 75 but haven't really made anything else with champagne in it and am looking for inspiration

Aww yeah! Make a Seelbach!

Seelbach

1oz bourbon
.5oz orange liqueur
7 dashes Angostura
7 dashes Peychaud's
Stir/flute/top w bubbly/lemn peel garnish

Texas Fizz - 1.5oz gin, .75oz orange juice, .5oz lemon juice, .25oz grenadine. Shake/flute/top with bubbly
Virtue - .75oz bourbon, .75oz Aperol, .5oz grapefruit juice, .25oz simple syrup, rosemary sprig. Shake/flute/top w bubbly
Champino - 1oz Campari, 1.25oz sweet vermouth. Shake/coupe/top with bubbly
A Telling Tale - 2oz bourbon, .5oz Campari, .5oz grenadine, .25oz lemon juice, ~7 mint leaves. Shake/flute/top with bubbly.
Victorian - .5oz elderflower liqueur, .5oz limoncello, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, bubbly, lemon twist garnish. Build in flute.

Champagne Cocktail

Angostura bitters soaked sugar cube dropped into a flute
Add .25oz cognac
Top with bubbly

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks a lot for the app suggestions, guys. I grabbed bartender's Choice and it looks like it'll do the trick as a good quick reference thing at work. I like the "what do you feel like" part of it as well for when I get home and don't want to use my brain anymore.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Don't forget Bartender's Choice, which is kind of the go-to in my crowd for a quick spec, and it lets you look up all the milk&honey drinks people get tribal about. Be careful, though; any notes you take don't update to the icloud backup, which a friend of mine learned when he wiped his phone and lost a year's worth of notes.
:stare: I would stab someone.

Noted.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've heard good things about the negroni sbaligiato or however you spell that. Basically sub in champagne for gin. Similarly on seriousdrinks this week I saw you can substitute the gin in a last word and it should be quite good as well.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

The Hebug posted:

I've heard good things about the negroni sbaligiato or however you spell that. Basically sub in champagne for gin. Similarly on seriousdrinks this week I saw you can substitute the gin in a last word and it should be quite good as well.

Tell me that what you're referring to is subbing the gin for Mezcal in a last word and serving a bit of champers on the side. I <3 serious drinks.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Tell me that what you're referring to is subbing the gin for Mezcal in a last word and serving a bit of champers on the side. I <3 serious drinks.

Nope. I found the article, it's from Nopa.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/04/brunch-drink-cocktail-mimosa-alternative-wine-chartreuse-nopa-blur-recipe.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
That is an obscene amount of Chartreuse. Maraschino too (sorry Kenning).

e: Didn't realize it made 2. Still though. Although now I will hold judgement until I make it.

(who posts a recipe for 2 drinks by default)

Klauser fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 13, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Klauser posted:

(who posts a recipe for 2 drinks by default)
People who aren't alone :smith:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Oh :drat:. Pinnacle Swedish Fish tastes amazing, I dont even need a chaser for it.

I hope this is the right thread :ohdear:.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Klauser posted:

That is an obscene amount of Chartreuse.

NO. SUCH. THING. :colbert:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah seriously Chartreuse and maraschino can't really be overused. Although Luxardo is defnitely better than Maraska.

Chartreuse Swizzle!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Thinking of making a variation on a mint julep tonight. Subbing Thai basil for mint, shochu for bourbon, no water and garnish with a lemon grass stick.

I think it could work well.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Request from my girlfriend: anyone know any good cocktails with grappa as the main ingredient?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Request from myself: anyone know of any good cocktails involving Ginger Beer (homemade, not to be confused with ginger ale). Brewery I was at last night had a great batch going, and they were mixing it with Kraken rum, but I think you goons have some better ideas. Rum/Bourbon are my favorite liquors, so anything tailored to those would be amazing.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Kenning posted:

Yeah seriously Chartreuse and maraschino can't really be overused. Although Luxardo is defnitely better than Maraska.

Chartreuse Swizzle!

I had an outstanding chartreuse swizzle at the bar at Nomad last December. It was more chartreuse in one cup that I have ever seen (except of course just chartreuse rocks).

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

ScaerCroe posted:

Request from myself: anyone know of any good cocktails involving Ginger Beer (homemade, not to be confused with ginger ale). Brewery I was at last night had a great batch going, and they were mixing it with Kraken rum, but I think you goons have some better ideas. Rum/Bourbon are my favorite liquors, so anything tailored to those would be amazing.

I'm not really into highballs, but this is great:

My Sharona - 2oz rum, 1oz lemon juice, .25oz agave syrup, ~6 raspberries. Muddle/shake/iced highball/top with ginger beer.

I imagine you could sub the agave for simple syrup without any problems, the raspberries are really what makes this good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You may not be much a one for highballs, but lately I've been quite taken with the Fizz, which I feel has not received nearly its due in the contemporary revival. My Mint Soap, which I posted a few days ago, is a Fizz of sorts (it's also a bit of a Smash), and just on Tuesday I made a Crushed Strawberry Fizz from Imbibe! which was quite delightful.

Crushed Strawberry fizz

2 oz. gin
1 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple
2 strawberries
soda water

Muddle strawberries with the syrup, add gin and lemon juice, shake vigorously with ice, and fine-strain into a 6-8 oz. glass. Top with 2-3 oz. soda water.

It was intensely refreshing and quite delicate. I don't typically care for muddled berries in my drinks, but I'll probably end up making this one again. I also made my friends a Morning Glory Fizz, also from Imbibe!, consisting of Scotch, lemon juice, sugar, absinthe, Angostura, and an egg white, shaken, strained, and topped with soda, which was delicious and compelling.

A proper Fizz gets everything except the soda water shaken up with ice, then is strained into a not-so-large glass, and topped with chilled soda. No ice in the glass, since it's supposed to be consumed rather quickly, before it gets warm. I'm going to be conducting further fizz investigations as the weather continues heating up. Are there any to which y'all are particularly partial?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I have been a fan of the Wisecrack Fizz

1½ shot Pisco
1 shot St-Germain elderflower liqueur
1 shot Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
½ shot Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Top up with soda water

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ScaerCroe posted:

I've started drinking mules lately. Muddle a slice of ginger root with lime juice, fill with ice, pour in a shot of vodka and top off with ginger beer. The bar I got the first one at had a funky copper cup that I ended up buying one of.

Also a huge thanks; I started slowy working through this thread the last few months, stopping to make whatever looked appealing, and it has opened me up to a lot of interesting things. Before I like manhattans, sours (especially whiskey), old fashioneds and that was about it. Now my liquor collection is much larger and more versatile. I do blame you all for making all my bitters go away in Trinidad sours though.

Edit: also I've started making my whiskey sours with makers mark and agave syrup (and fresh lemon juice) and they're wonderful.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
There was some discussion of cocktail apps earlier and I wanted to mention a couple related to tiki drinks. The first is Tiki+, which is like an iPhone app version of Jeff Berry's excellent Beachbum Berry Remixed book. It has something like 150 recipes and a solid search function, as well as lots of additional info found in the book like rum advice, history of drinks and tiki culture, mixer advice, etc.

The other app is actually a webapp that acts as a companion to Beachbum Berry's various books and the Tiki+ app called The Grogalizer. After creating an account, you can tell it what you have in your bar and it will list recipes (by page number) that you can make, as well as ratings and comments from other users.

I've been making some drinks from those sources and found quite a few that I like. One of my favorites is Navy Grog.

Navy Grog
From Beachbum Berry Remixed
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz grapefruit juice
3/4 oz soda water
1 oz honey mix*
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum (I use Cruzan or Flor de Cana)
1 oz dark Jamaican rum (I use Appleton Estate 12 year)
1 oz Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or El Dorado)

Shake with ice, strain into a double old-fashioned glass. Traditionally served with an ice cone but I've never bothered to make one. Instead just pour over 1 oversized ice cube.

*Honey mix: add 1 part honey to 1 part water by weight to a small bottle. Shake like crazy until it looks like pee. Store in the fridge.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
So, martin miller gin best gin? Can't get enough of the stuff. I'm working through a bottle of Plymouth and its very nice, especially on the rocks with a splash of st Germaine, but Im still wishing I just bought another bottle of Miller's.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Just got my hands on a bottle of St. Elder liqueur last night, from Somerville MA. It's St. Germain for $20 instead of $37. Taste is pretty much indistinguishable. Savings, ahoy! :toot:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Tanith posted:

Just got my hands on a bottle of St. Elder liqueur last night, from Somerville MA. It's St. Germain for $20 instead of $37. Taste is pretty much indistinguishable. Savings, ahoy! :toot:

But are the elderflowers collected by bohemians on bicycles? :colbert:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

On a related note, my mom recently came back from a trip to Finland with a bottle of cloudberry liqueur. Anyone have any ideas of what drinks to use it in? It's pretty sweet and has a very strong cloudberry flavor, so it shouldn't take much, but I honestly just have no idea what it would go well with.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Maestro posted:

So, martin miller gin best gin? Can't get enough of the stuff. I'm working through a bottle of Plymouth and its very nice, especially on the rocks with a splash of st Germaine, but Im still wishing I just bought another bottle of Miller's.

If you can find it/are interested in spending $35 on a bottle of gin, St. George's Terroir gin is frankly the finest gin I've ever tasted.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Maestro posted:

:pervert: WESTBOURNE STRENGTH!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
never

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 2, 2013

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
mind

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 2, 2013

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Made a Yellow Dog tonight:

1.5 oz bourbon
1 oz Lillet blonde
0.5 oz Grand Marnier
Orange Bitters

Stir/strain/coupe/lemon twist

It's pretty tasty and a good alternative to a Manhattan when you want something lighter and more floral.

I have only used use my bottle of Lillet for a couple of drinks. Does anyone have a recipe that they like that uses it?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I came up with this and am quite proud of it:

My My

1.5oz gin
.75oz lemon simple syrup
.5oz Campari
.25oz Lillet
Stir/iced old fashioned/candied lemon peel.

Others (not mine) I have made that I liked just fine:

Shea LaReece - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz Cynar, .5oz Lillet, 2 dashes Ango. Stir/rosewater rinse coupe/flamed orange peel
Odd Pal - 1.5oz Applejack, 1oz Lillet, .5oz Aperol. Stir/coupe/orange peel.
French Quarter - 2.5oz brandy, .75oz Lillet. Stir/coupe/lemon/peel.
South Slope - .75oz gin .75oz Aperol .75oz Lillet .5oz orange curacao .5oz lemon. Shake/coupe/lemon peel
Albert Mathieu 1.5oz gin .75oz Lillet blonde .75oz green Chartreuse 1 bsp elderflower liqueur, 1 dash orange bitters Stir/coupe
Abbey - 1.5oz gin, .75oz Lillet, 1oz orange juice, Dash orange bitters. Shake/coupe/Flamed orange peel

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Can anyone tell me why my manhattans often taste, like, harsh at home? Seems like when I go to a restaurant or bar even a manhattan made with entry level ingredients (Jim Beam, Martini & Rossi vermouth, Angostura Bitters, standard industrial maraschino cherry) comes out tasting smooth, delicious, balanced. Yes, I know better results can come from better ingredients, but what are they doing that I'm not? When I make them at home with those kind of ingredients the result is far worse.

Is it the shaking? Something to do with dissolved air? I don't usually shake when I'm going to drink something on the rocks. I tend to make them at a 2:1 ratio of whiskey to vermouth, which I feel is pretty standard.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks Klauser. You are like the Yoda of cocktails. I'm going to try some of those recipes out, starting with the My My and the Albert Mathieu.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

my manhattans often taste, like, harsh at home...Is it the shaking? Something to do with dissolved air? I don't usually shake when I'm going to drink something on the rocks. I tend to make them at a 2:1 ratio of whiskey to vermouth, which I feel is pretty standard.

:stare:

Your ratio is fine, but that's a stirred drink, friendo.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

This and stir it longer. Best is to have an internal count while you shake/stir to keep it consistently the way you like.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

No, I don't shake it, I was asking if the harshness is a result of not shaking it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

Can anyone tell me why my manhattans often taste, like, harsh at home? Seems like when I go to a restaurant or bar even a manhattan made with entry level ingredients (Jim Beam, Martini & Rossi vermouth, Angostura Bitters, standard industrial maraschino cherry) comes out tasting smooth, delicious, balanced. Yes, I know better results can come from better ingredients, but what are they doing that I'm not? When I make them at home with those kind of ingredients the result is far worse.

Is it the shaking? Something to do with dissolved air? I don't usually shake when I'm going to drink something on the rocks. I tend to make them at a 2:1 ratio of whiskey to vermouth, which I feel is pretty standard.

This doesn't really make much sense. A Manhattan is a very simple drink, and should taste fairly consistent no matter where it's made. The only thing that is really going to change the way this drink tastes is the amount of dilution...maybe you're stirring too long. Perhaps the problem lies in one of your bottles, try each ingredient on it's own and see if you can pick up on the thing thats bothering you in the final product.

Do you have cognac? Try making a Saratoga instead:

Saratoga - 1oz each rye, cognac, sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Has your vermouth been open for a while? Try it with a fresh bottle. That's what happened to me.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

If the vermouth has not gone bad then maybe the ice from your freezer is imparting a bad taste. Or maybe your roommate pissed in your bitters.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Has your vermouth been open for a while? Try it with a fresh bottle. That's what happened to me.

This here is your most likely culprit. I just have a mental allergy to shaken manhattans. I get all stabby with my trident bar spoons and then welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

My aunt-in-law gave my fiancée and me a bottle of this stuff as a gift from their vacation in Mexico. At first it looked like a bottle of tequila, but then I saw that it was only 20% ABV - turns out it's an agave liqueur!

Might anyone know how to use this in a good cocktail? I thought it might just be good with a twist of lime and a dash of soda water, but I'm definitely open to more complex ideas.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 5, 2013