Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I need more friends before I can have a punch party.

Kenning posted:

Giant Info dump

Awesome, I already have some cointreau, so thats handy. I love negronis so I always have campari on hand.

What are some good starter drinks I could do with the havana club and the coruba (holy poo poo the deluxe is available at the liquor store by my house)

Also for any other Alberta goons, this site is magic http://www.liquorconnect.com/ You can look up any spirit and it will tell you what store carry it.

E:Whats the difference between barbados and puerto rician gold rum?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Barbados (particularly the Plantation) is floral, lightly sweet, with a bit of toasted coconut and baked pear notes. The gold Puerto Rican stuff is more spice, oak, and caramel, with a leaner profile overall.

That's the most important thing with Tiki – learning your rums. There's no such thing as light, dark, and gold rums. For you to have any idea what a rum will taste like you need to have at least the color + the region. Remember, rum has very little legal definition, so the variation in flavor is attributable to all sorts of stuff, from local custom to global politics (that's why Bacardi sucks now).

As for recipes, here's the one that calls for Campari:

Jungle Bird

3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. dark Jamaican

Shake well with lots of ice cubes. Pour unstrained into a double rocks glass. Garnish as fancy as you can.

You're gonna want to invest in some straws of varying lengths as well, btw.

And for the light rum option:

Doctor Funk

3/4 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. grenadine (make your own)
1 tsp. absinthe
1 1/2 oz. light Cuban
1 oz. club soda

Shake everything except the soda in a shaker with ice. Pour in the soda, stir gently, then pour unstrained into a pilsner glass (or something else that holds about 8 ounces).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Those both sound delicious. Now to get my friends to pony up some bottles so I can start making this. And the book to get here.

E: And absinthe wise, looks I'm pretty much stuck with Taboo.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 17, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've never seen that bottling of Coruba, though I'm sure it'll still work fine for your purposes. Enjoy, and feel free to ask more questions.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Two weeks ago I was wondering how to make for the red drink with gin that I had last summer.

Now I've read this thread back to back, and have the start of a wonderful problem. Thanks thread.

NB. not pictured, fridge full of soda tins, Fever Tree tonic and vermouths, and freezer FULL of ice cube trays.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

Two weeks ago I was wondering how to make for the red drink with gin that I had last summer.

Now I've read this thread back to back, and have the start of a wonderful problem. Thanks thread.

NB. not pictured, fridge full of soda tins, Fever Tree tonic and vermouths, and freezer FULL of ice cube trays.

I just bought that same citrus press. So rad.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Kenning posted:

As for recipes, here's the one that calls for Campari:

Jungle Bird

3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. dark Jamaican

Shake well with lots of ice cubes. Pour unstrained into a double rocks glass. Garnish as fancy as you can.

Everyone should make this, it's fantastic. I like it with blackstrap rum and fresh pineapple juice, it has this great sharp mocha taste to it. It is a drink that follows the sandwich rule: much, much greater than the sum of its parts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It really is a spectacular drink. I haven't tried it with the Black Strap – all that vanilla is probably where you're getting the mocha quality from. I like using a traditional dark Jamaican in it – it's a bit leaner and brighter, but I imagine your version is also great. And yeah, the fresh pineapple juice makes it, since 4 ounces is a whole lot of pineapple.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Here goes nothin!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 24, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You guys should make a Police Gazette Cocktail. I just made one for the first time in loving years and I had forgotten that it is the best thing ever.

Police Gazette Cocktail

3 oz. bourbon or rye
3 dash French vermouth
2 dash orange liqueur (I use Cointreau)
2 dash maraschino
2 dash Angostura
syrup to taste

Stir, strain, orange or lemon peel garnish. The recipe I have calls for 2 dashes of syrup, but it's really a thing that's just added to smooth things out to the taste of whoever is drinking the cocktail. It's really spectacular – all the flavors just show up briefly, and then give way to a long, rich bourbon finish (assuming you use decent stuff). In a drink like this (which can be ruined by over-dashing) I measure a dash as 1 barspoon's worth. It's always worked for me.

It's sooo good. Also 3 oz. of bourbon isn't something to gently caress with. Especially if you're using higher-proof stuff (Wild Turkey, Old Grandad, etc.)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Whoops, wrong thread. Moving my post about how to make a fermented cherries and cherrystone liqueur without dying of mold toxins or cyanide to the thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440248&pagenumber=13#lastpost

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 26, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
Having problems with my recently purchased boston shaker. When I'm shaking the airseal keeps coming open and I lose a little bit of the cocktail (and have to clean my floor).

Should I be making sure it's closed really tight with a thump on top of the glass before shaking? That makes it pretty difficult to get it apart.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You want to insert the two halves together so one side of both are flush. Give it a tap to seal it up, and then the trick to getting it open is holding the flush side towards you, give it a tap with your free hand at either 3 or 9 o'clock to break the seal again.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
I just tried this, but still got some leakage when shaking.

So, I made the seal again, tipped the shaker on to its side and watched for water leaking out between the glass and tin as I sloshed it gently backwards and forward. No matter whether I sealed the glass dead centre, or flush on one side, or with a really hard hit, I still got a little bit of liquid pouring out from the join between glass and tin.

Is that normal to expect that, or do I just have a crappy tin/glass set?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Have you tried other glasses? I had similar problems and gave up and got an all metal set.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The thing that makes the seal is the ice chilling the air and reducing the air pressure inside the shaker. Make sure you use plenty of ice and just hold it extra close when you start shaking. I never thump my shakers and the only time I spill any is when I over-fill. If you do all of that and it's still leaking then your tin probably blows.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Yeah to add to Kenning's advice, this is especially apparent when dry shaking ingredients like for anything using egg white. Your hands and shaking can warm the air enough to expand and cause the shaker to burp out raw egg whites and gin on you, so you have to hold it extra tight. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if shaking water without ice causes some small leakage, but if you're having problems with shaking on ice, then it sounds like a bum set. I'm switching to the all metal Koriko set on Cocktail Kingdom soon because the original glass cup has developed a large crack and I'm lying to myself that I can't substitute a normal pint glass like I do when I haven't washed the original cup. I mostly just want a new shaker set. :P

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just bought the all metal Koriko set from Cocktail Kingdom and it's awesome. Seals and opens easily, and you never have to worry about cracking or chipping a glass.

I made something the other day and it turned out pretty well. I think I will mess with it a little more before I give it a name.

2 oz rye
0.5 oz St. Germaine
0.25 oz. grenadine
0.75 oz lemon juice
Shake, strain and float with Angostura bitters

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Slimchandi posted:

So proud.

zmcnulty posted:

Here goes nothin!

This is something I've been flirting with. I'd really like to hear your thoughts about the time involved, the space required, and the effort, compared to the end result.

Slimchandi posted:

Having problems with my recently purchased boston shaker. When I'm shaking the airseal keeps coming open and I lose a little bit of the cocktail (and have to clean my floor).

Should I be making sure it's closed really tight with a thump on top of the glass before shaking? That makes it pretty difficult to get it apart.

Get an all metal set from a restaurant supply and never look back. Cheater tin > Pint glass.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I made something the other day and it turned out pretty well. I think I will mess with it a little more before I give it a name.

2 oz rye
0.5 oz St. Germaine
0.25 oz. grenadine
0.75 oz lemon juice
Shake, strain and float with Angostura bitters

This, the Jungle Bird, and the Police Gazette Cocktail are in my 'drinks I have to make' hopper. Can't wait to do this important research and report back.

I made this the other day and LOVED it. It was a very pleasant surprise as dry vermouth is not my bag but I give it a shot every once in a while. This will be in my rotation now and is just perfect for the warm weather.

Django Reinhardt
3oz dry vermouth
.75oz lemon juice
.75oz simple syrup
2 orange slices
Muddle 1 orange slice/shake/iced rocks/orange slice garnish

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
Thanks to everyone for the boston shaker tips. Adding a little more ice seemed to do the trick. I think I was trying to cheap out ice to make more drinks per evening :)

And my home bar might have grown a little as well!

Not pictured - Brugal Bianco and Aquariva Reposado picked up on the cheap.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Congratulations on your acquisition of Cointreau and Luxardo maraschino – they'll see you through lots of good times. And remember – ice is the most important ingredient in cocktailery. There's just no way around it – you're gonna go through a lot of ice.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I see I'm not the only one that's been making Ramos Gon Fizzes!

I've been making a drink lately that's 3 oz gin, a sugar cube, a couple dashes of orange bitters, a drop of orange water, and around 3 oz of soda water. Add some ice and its a pretty refreshing drink.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Which page is the "if you $x get this to start your home bar" guide on? Its not linked in the OP. I have an income now, along with finding a liquor store that sells all the neat stuff that I require for good cocktails.

Also, turns out you can buy Angostura Orange Bitters in grocery stores in my province, for whatever reason.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Someone left some Pernod at my house last week, so I've been playing around with absinthe cocktails. Any suggestions? Anything Pernod-specific I should be considering?

I've done an Absinthe cocktail, an Absinthe Flip (tasty) and a Chrysanthemum (good, but better with some orange blossom syrup in it) looking for anything, but especially drinks where the anise taste is an accent, not the main event.

As an aside, thanks to Kenning for all the punch love. I made a Limming Club Gin Punch last week. I subbed rum -- 3/4 bottle of 10 Cane -- for gin, to cater to some people who don't drink grain-distilled spirits. It turned out delicious. People kept telling me it was too strong, I kept telling them they were getting too much. :) (Its awfully hard to find 4oz cups around here.) Everyone loved it, though, I can't wait to do it again.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kenning posted:

Congratulations on your acquisition of Cointreau and Luxardo maraschino – they'll see you through lots of good times. And remember – ice is the most important ingredient in cocktailery. There's just no way around it – you're gonna go through a lot of ice.

My freezer makes ice on it's own and I have never been happier in my entire life

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I would pretty much kill for that.

Jyrraeth posted:

Which page is the "if you $x get this to start your home bar" guide on? Its not linked in the OP. I have an income now, along with finding a liquor store that sells all the neat stuff that I require for good cocktails.

Also, turns out you can buy Angostura Orange Bitters in grocery stores in my province, for whatever reason.

Here you go!

pgroce posted:

Someone left some Pernod at my house last week, so I've been playing around with absinthe cocktails. Any suggestions? Anything Pernod-specific I should be considering?

I've done an Absinthe cocktail, an Absinthe Flip (tasty) and a Chrysanthemum (good, but better with some orange blossom syrup in it) looking for anything, but especially drinks where the anise taste is an accent, not the main event.

As an aside, thanks to Kenning for all the punch love. I made a Limming Club Gin Punch last week. I subbed rum -- 3/4 bottle of 10 Cane -- for gin, to cater to some people who don't drink grain-distilled spirits. It turned out delicious. People kept telling me it was too strong, I kept telling them they were getting too much. :) (Its awfully hard to find 4oz cups around here.) Everyone loved it, though, I can't wait to do it again.

If you have a bit of rum laying around you should make a Doctor Funk. Other than that, a Sazerac is probably the classic recommendation.

And I'm glad you made the Limmers! It's really quite nice. For the nth time, I recommend getting yourself a copy of Punch! It'll probably turn you into a maniac as well.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My current bar:

From left to right:

New Amsterdam Gin (bulk gin for G&Ts)
Uncle Val's Botanical Gin (good gin for cocktails)
Carta Vieja (Panamanian Rum)
Luna Azul (Tequila)
Two different grappa bottles
Woodford Reserve and Russel's Reserve bourbons
Benedictine
Luxardo bitters (cheap Campari)
Galliano
Maraschino
Cynar (the M.V.P.)
Green Chartreuse
Creme de Violette
St. Elder
Fernet Branca
Mirto
Lillet
Home-made Creme de Menthe
Razzmatazz, Blue curacao, and 95% grain alcohol

Feeling pretty good but I still want to get some Aperol and a variety of bitters.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Went to a steakhouse last night and told the waiter to get something with brandy that was a little different. He came back with what he said was brandy and vanilla cognac. Really enjoyed it, BUT, I have no idea the ratios or if anything else was in there.

Does anyone know of that type of drink, and am I completely over-thinking what it could possibly be? (ie 50/50 brandy and vanilla cognac). He said it was similar to a scotch and scotch, which I have no idea about either, so was wondering what that was as well.

Pardon the ignorance, but I'd like to be able to replicate that one at home, even if it seems bartenders always make it better. Just don't have much experience with that type of drink.

*edit* Couldn't find anything of the sort at Total Wine (have all other kinds of cognac and brandy, no shortage of selection), is it possible he was mistaken and was likely something like Grand Marnier and Brandy?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 2, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My guess is he mistook vanilla cognac for amaretto, and you drank a French Connection.
However vanilla cognac does seem to actually exist so maybe not?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

zmcnulty posted:

My guess is he mistook vanilla cognac for amaretto, and you drank a French Connection.
However vanilla cognac does seem to actually exist so maybe not?

Yeah, I'm every bit as confused as you are and I had the drink. Thinking he made a mistake though (it was the waiter), since I couldn't find it in a couple of extremely well stocked liquor stores, and that wasn't the type of steakhouse that would have obscure hard to find liquors. Guess I'll have to experiment and figure it out *gasp*.

Also possible it was a Lead Balloon, my previous guess is also a drink. I think you're probably closer to amaretto though, was a flavor I couldn't easily place.

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Kenning: I love your punch posts, but do you have any tips/recipes for good non-alcoholic punch as well? I don't want the children/frail old ladies/designated drivers at the party to feel left out.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I heard about the 'Art of Choke' from a couple different sources and figured that it was sign, so I went and bought a bottle of Cynar and tried it out.

Art of Choke: 1 oz rum, 1oz Cynar, 1/8 oz lime, 1/8 oz simple syrup, 1/4 oz green Chartreuse, mint. Muddle, stir, iced rocks glass

What a crazy rear end drink this is. I'm still getting used to the whole funky vegetable flavor but somehow the crazy combination of ingredients comes together to make something cohesive. I still prefer Cynar when it's used in some of the less adventurous Manhattan variations but this recipe made me want to branch out and see how it can work with other less obvious ingredients.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Got the tiki remix book the other day, and jesus gently caress is it a mess.

So far my plan is to look up the classic stuff from Don the beach comber and Trader Vic and skipping the stuff that came from some random place in Arizona in 1954.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I heard about the 'Art of Choke' from a couple different sources and figured that it was sign, so I went and bought a bottle of Cynar and tried it out.

Art of Choke: 1 oz rum, 1oz Cynar, 1/8 oz lime, 1/8 oz simple syrup, 1/4 oz green Chartreuse, mint. Muddle, stir, iced rocks glass

What a crazy rear end drink this is. I'm still getting used to the whole funky vegetable flavor but somehow the crazy combination of ingredients comes together to make something cohesive. I still prefer Cynar when it's used in some of the less adventurous Manhattan variations but this recipe made me want to branch out and see how it can work with other less obvious ingredients.

Simple and green chartreuse? Dang. I should try that out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Got the tiki remix book the other day, and jesus gently caress is it a mess.

So far my plan is to look up the classic stuff from Don the beach comber and Trader Vic and skipping the stuff that came from some random place in Arizona in 1954.

Honestly, most of the stuff I've made from that book is golden. Some stuff winds up a bit sweet, and some stuff is a bit weak, but you can usually spot those. Try the Captain's Grog, the Ancient Mariner, the Jungle Bird, Doctor Funk, the original Zombie, the original Mai Tai, the Tradewinds, and the Hell in the Pacific. Those are my favorite cocktails from that book that I can remember off the top of my head. Oh, also the Hurricane, though you've gotta be sure of the sweetness of your passionfruit syrup for that one – when I make it as written it's much too sweet.

Beach Bum Berry mostly has good taste, but he falters occasionally. If you've been mixing for a while you should be able to spot where things look fishy and adjust accordingly.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Definitely will be trying that. The best Cynar drink I've found is very simple; the Cynar Flip. 3oz Cynar, 1 whole raw egg, shaken like crazy with ice.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 8, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I want to start making my Mint Juleps in a "proper" cup but I'LL BE DAMNED IF I AM GOING TO PAY 15 bucks for each loving "julep cup".
http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Stainless-Steel-Round-Sauce-Cup---8-oz-Capacity-c166p28506.html
Did I just beat the system?

I have to get a dozen of them, but I bet they're great little things to have around anyway.

Yea or neeeigh? Any other ideas? Measuring cups? Sugar shakers?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, if your primary interest is in having a proper cup, you'll pony up for a proper cup. If you primary interest is in not spending too much money, I'd just forget about having a proper cup in the first place and use whatever you've been using. I definitely wouldn't get a stainless steel half-sphere and serve a julep out of it because it'll just look silly.

What you should really do is spend like $90 after shipping and get a sterling silver julep cup because why not go for broke?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Girlfriend bought me a copper tumbler similiar to this one for my birthday and it's really awesome. Just sayin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

I want to start making my Mint Juleps in a "proper" cup but I'LL BE DAMNED IF I AM GOING TO PAY 15 bucks for each loving "julep cup".
http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Stainless-Steel-Round-Sauce-Cup---8-oz-Capacity-c166p28506.html
Did I just beat the system?

I have to get a dozen of them, but I bet they're great little things to have around anyway.

Yea or neeeigh? Any other ideas? Measuring cups? Sugar shakers?

You're better off taking the labels off some baked beans cans.