Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Toast Museum posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao? I've already got Cointreau and Grand Marnier; is it different enough to be worth getting?

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's the best triple sec for Margaritas? Looking for a price point between DeKuyper and Cointreau. Could just splurge for Cointreau if it's really worth it. I just like to add a splash.

I recently switched from PF dry to Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb. I don't stock any other orange liqueur at the bar. I like the shrubb because it has a clean orange flavor and is just sweet enough for drinks that don't call for any other sweetener(I keep both at home, I personally enjoy the lack of sweetness in the PF)

Toast Museum posted:

I just made oleo saccharum for the first time yesterday, and it really is tasty stuff. I went with lime because that's what I had on hand, but I look forward to trying with other citrus.

Do combinations of different citruses make a decent oleo, or does it just muddy the flavors?

You can make a pretty solid yuzu approximation with lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit

Also, for those of you playing with oleo, try one step further and mix it back into the juice from the citrus you zested. Lime sherbet makes awesome daiquiris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Johnny Truant posted:

Finally got around to purchasing the nicer Boston shakers and an OxO strainer... and the shakers are on back-order and are arriving a week later than the strainer.

A WEEK :kingsley:

Did you get Koriko shakers?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Return em!

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/set-of-two-korikor-weighted-shaking-tins

$17 for a set of Koriko. Perfect seal, easy to pop. I put thousands of cocktails through my work sets and except for some scratches they're as good as new.

Anyways, shakers aside, what is everyone using in their kits?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Vitamix(or other serious blender)
1 lb ginger, chopped roughly
5 cup water
5 cup white sugar(demerara for a richer taste)
Blend, strain solids
Keeps a couple weeks, yields 2 quarts

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I find that peeling makes little to no difference and is labor and time intensive

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Also intrigued, no one in my neck of the woods gives a gently caress about agave spirits

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like mine 2 3/4 3/4. But yeah daiquiris, sometimes a dash or two of ango is nice in there as well

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Grab a bottle of clement cane syrop for super trad ti' punch

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Shrubs are good to go as soon as you add the vinegar, however they get better as they age. Do you already have some falernum kicking around?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like to do a burnt cinnamon syrup. Use your handy torch to char whole cinnamon sticks. Quench in simple syrup(really good with demerara), rest it for a couple days.

Also seconding the idea of making vanilla sugar. Split, scrape, muddle, and rest the sugar. Should pull out some solid flavors

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Alright guys, time for one of my favorite tricks. Head over to your local Asian market and buy the largest Thai tea filter you can find. Add liquid about half way, twist the bag to close it so liquid can't come out of the top. Squeeze away, rinse bag after a couple of times. Awesome for spice infusions, ginger syrup and anything else with hard to remove particles.

e: grab a couple, you'll use them for everything
e2: I used it for filtering citrus for draft cocktails as well

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 4, 2017

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I think it might do unpleasant things, but give it a shot for science and let us know what happens!( Now I wanna try lemon with dem and torch it)

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
A 2:1 Japanese style jigger is the only one you need. How often does something call for a 1/4 oz that doesn’t also call for a 1/2 or 3/4? Just measure your 1/2 oz then add the 1/4 before you dump it into your shaker

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've spent a lot of time using both styles of jigger, I often switch between both styles to keep my muscle memory fresh, and I still find the CK Leopold to be the fastest, most practical jigger. The 0.25 oz measure is great, especially when you're making bespoke drinks or doing R&D and need minor tweaks :shrug:

It's a really silly thing to make a sweeping decree like "this is the only good version of this tool"

Yeah I feel you, I was more directing at someone buying tools for a home set up. If you’re only getting one(and there’s better things to spend a bunch of money on than multiple jiggers) I think it should be the Japanese style. I also am not a fan of the Leopold style jiggers, but it might just be because I have big hands and I find it awkward.

For the record we keep a 1/2:3/4 at each station on the bar and I grab it specifically for something off menu at least once a night.

e: Edmond enjoy your pretty Leopold(no sarcasm, it’s a nice looking tool), it will do an excellent job for you. Not trying to throw shade in here, this thread is most excellent.

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2018

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I find Ango to be fairly unique and important. I have some other aromatic bitters that are great in certain drinks, but don’t work as well in some cocktails. Also, you can’t make a Trinidad sour without angostura. For orange bitters regans and ango orange are good, but my personal favorite is Berg and huack. They’re definitely a bit pricier, but that’s what I keep at home.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Origami Dali posted:

Is there a brick and mortar that carries Kina l'Aero d'Or, and is it worth tracking down?

Just find a small local liquor store and ask them to order you a bottle.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always use a coil to help foam drinks. I don’t clip the ends together though. And with cream drinks, like an RGF, I shake with ice to chill the cream first. Then, dry with the coil and a third longer shake with ice to get it as cold as possible. I was also taught to chill the soda water gently with ice and put that in first in the Ramos

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I use Ango and Peychauds personally

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Mint julep season is coming up for me. What's the best method for mint syrup, Morganthaler with the blanching, blending, fine straining, or steep in hot syrup and cover? Can anybody vouch? I'm gonna try to use multiple kinds of mint this time.

i don't care if the syrup turns dark I'm gonna use deep brown raw sugar and ultimately mix it with bourbon, color not important, just flavor.

Blanch and blend, IMO. Keeps flavor and color much longer

E: I usually to a ~10s boil and shock immediately. I never noticed a cooked mint flavor

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I guess of we're talking watermelon and lime and gin, I'll offer up aloe as a solid compliment

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
We're doing a rhubarb syrup right now. Poached rhubarb, blended with sumac and corriander. Paired with grilled apricot vodka, a touch of aperol, lemon and peychauds

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

vlad3217 posted:

So I think i'm going to make something in this vein next weekend along the lines of:

1 lemon juice
2 spiced simple syrup (throwing a bunch of mulling spices in there while it steeps or something)
3 bourbon, maybe rye
2 ginger beer
2 apple cider
a few dashes of bitters, probably angostura, maybe walnut?

I mainly can't decide if the ginger beer and apple cider, in place of something lighter like tea/water, means I should scale back my simple syrup a bit? Or at least make it like 1.5 sugar to 2 cups water to its not quite as potent? Am I over thinking it?

I’m doing a 5 spice cider reduction right now. I toast off my spices and add the cider. Let it reduce by about 2/3rds and then add half by weight of demerara sugar to provide balance. I think that it would be solid with rye and lemon. What ginger beer are you planning on using?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Yeah that’s pricey, but if they’re starting from whole fruit then I can see that being about right.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
As long as the glassware is made out of duct tape

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Does Clement make any bad products? I think I would buy anything from them.

They make good stuff, if you get a chance to go on the Clement/JM tour it's fantastic. Bonus, a bunch of bottllings that don't come to the US(500/700ml that can't be imported). Also, they're baby brand Damoiseau has a dope over proof unfiltered agricole.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always liked Rowan's creek and some of my buddies are obsessed with the Willett pot still. Rowan's probably comes in at $40ish and pot still is $70ish if you can find it.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's fuckin rad dude.

To be honest the cinnamon fire trick has been underwhelming every time I've seen it done live.

It's gotta be fresh grated cinnamon for it to work well. I think the powder holds too much moisture.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

poop dood posted:

I've never had a smoked cocktail that wasn't a gimmick in a strip-mall bar. That being said, since you have one you can do whatever with, experiment! Make smoked marshmallows for authentic-tasting homemade s'mores! Smoke some nuts for snacking!

...It's probably not a good thing that the two best ideas I could come up with for using your gadget weren't cocktails at all. A smoky julep might be cool, now that I'm thinking about it.

It can be done, I use it as a garnish essentially. But I also don’t use a smoking gun, haven’t been happy with the results and flavors for cocktails. Cinnamon smoke can add a nice aromatic element to a glass. Burn cinnamon on a slate, put glass over it. Build your drink, strain into said glass.

A guy I used to work with was obsessed with doing smoked old fashioneds. He would use the gun to fill a liter bottle with smoke, pour stirred cocktail into the bottle and swirl. It definitely made things smoky but not always in a pleasant way.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

BrianBoitano posted:

My other pro tip in your bar is some model of this

Requires a bit of elbow grease, but if you squeeze more than one citrus (singular: citrum? :v:) at a time this thing is the tits. Never going to break, dishwasher safe important bits.

Three downsides: 1. Mine likes to tip forward, so I need both hands to keep it upright while squeezing. 2. Height could be a little taller so my 2 cup Pyrex would fit under. 3. The screws need tightening every now and then.

If you’re looking to do some serious juicing I strongly prefer a ra chand.

Much more stable, the height is perfect for a 1 quart deli container, and they tend to stay together. I’ve also never broken one, and have broken or had a tender break at least three of the “pretty” ones.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do you happen to still have the broken ones? If so, would you be willing to part with the two cones pieces that squeeze the citrus? I mean, I have a 2 ton arbor press here not doing anything.

Unfortunately not, they got left behind at a former jobs.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Just take a yeti or hydroflask. Throw a toddy in it. It’ll stay hot all day. Everyone else has one, wouldn’t look out of place walking down the street

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Why? Hot cocktails can work, just make it interesting. I like rye and averna personally.

e: basically a gold rush with averna and a little less honey

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 21, 2019

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like pigs nose myself. Monkey shoulder is too sweet imo.

At work we do:
1.5 grouse
.75 lemon
.75 honey
.5 ginger juice
Heavy Laphroaig spray

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That reminds me: I got a bottle of Laird’s Straight Apple Brandy recently and the first thing I made was a Diamondback (Rittenhouse, apple brandy, and green Chartreuse) and man it was too stiff for me. I don’t know if they’re expecting 80 proof apple brandy instead of 100 but I’ve gotta stir the next one longer I think.

I’m looking for some other recipes to try as well.

I think that's the point of a diamond back. What ratios were you using? In Boston 1:1:1 was pretty common. Pretty brutal, but a good way to get your night started after working Friday night dinner service. Where I'm at now 1.5:.5:.5 seems preferred with some people even subbing yellow to bring down the abv and add some sweetness.

I snagged a bottle of Laird's cask strength store pick when I was in Vegas last week. First time I've seen one. Four and a half years 127 proof. Seems pretty solid to me. Richer apple flavor, pronounced barrel notes, surprisingly easy sipper.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PanzerSagan posted:

Also, since there seems to be Calvados interest:

Norman Conquest ( from the Savoy Cocktail book )
1 Bourbon
1 Calvados
1 Sweet Vermouth
1 tsp simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters, rocks ,orange twist garnish

It will change your life.

Is this pre or post vieux carre?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Scrappy’s GF bitters are my go to

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Add a little citric to the beet infusion and keep it cold. It browns out pretty fast otherwise.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What? Are you saying the beet infused gin goes brown?

I’ve had issues with beet infused rum oxidizing and going brown for sure

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’ve done raw and roasted, I think the flavor is better raw and iirc that’s when I had the issues. I’m talking 2-3 weeks. I was just saying for home use you might want to take precaution to preserve it because the color will go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Maybe zirbenz? Or genepy?

Something like
2 gin
.5 alpine spirit
.25 syrup
Bitters
Absinthe rinse