Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Appl posted:

My preference is Carpano Antica Formula and Dolin Blanc

I've never had Carpano; is it worth the cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

PatMarshall posted:

I've never heard of an old fashioned made with blended scotch, but I guess it might work? I like to make them with Rittenhouse Rye, but bourbon is more traditional. Rum also works really well. Is there a bourbon you like? I would buy a bottle and make old fashioned cocktails with that bottle. If not, Rittenhouse or Turkey are both inexpensive and shouldn't disappoint. If you don't want to taste first at a bar, I'd just pick up whichever is on sale.

It's called a Rob Roy. It was my great aunt's drink of choice, and she drank one a day from age twenty something to the day she died at the ripe old age of 90, that classy bitch.

edit: I'm a dumb nastalgic drunk. Ignore my mistake.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Speaking of bottles that are only used once a year, I have a one of Lillet Blanc. Anything worth making?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Ancient update- thank you thread for the Vesper recommendation. It was most pleasant.

Now, this thread has put the Punch idea rolling around in my brain, so I've decided to throw a punch party for my birthday. I've already settled on Limmer's, but I also wanted a second, and I remembered Alton Brown's Cape Fear Punch. Thoughts on it from the punch experts, or recommendations for another whiskey based punch? I'm quite fond of whiskey.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

AB's punch is sitting on a firm foundation. I'd say the sugar needs to be at least doubled. I don't gently caress with sliced up fruit for garnish. My rule for assessing a punch is Wondrich's, which has served me well in the past: 1 of sour, 1 of sweet, 3 of strong and 4 of weak. When the weak includes tea and champagne I up the sweet a bit.

I may just try this punch out soon as written and report back. In the mean time, my own Pinkhouse Punch is a significantly simpler libation that has been extensively tested and found good.

I wasn't planning on putzing about with all of the sliced fruit myself. AB, interestingly enough, espouses those same proportions in that episode.

I had been looking all over for your punch, but I was looking for Power's Punch, instead of a self titled recipe. I think I'll go with this Cocktail Thread Approved recipe, until AB's punch can be vetted. Although I did kind of want one of the punches to have tea in it.

Finding Orange Blossom Water for the Limmer's has been fairly difficult. I was sorely disappointed when my favorite foody-ish store lamented to me that they no longer carried it.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

You can get it on Amazon.

Party is Friday night, and they couldn't guarantee 2 day shipping. I have a couple other places I could check, but If I can't find the Orange Blossom water in time, is there a substitute? Or should I go with another gin punch? I was interested in the Gowanus gin punch, but I don't know if I'm ready to spring for a bottle of chartreuse yet.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Orange Blossom Water found!

I premixed the whole batch, and diluted a single serving to test. Pretty tasty. The flavors all played together very well. Not overly sweet, and only a little lemony. I couldn't quite tell where the gin flavor ended, and the orange blossom began. Should the Orange Blossom be a bit more prominent? I wasn't entirely sure how much to use in the simple syrup from the recipe. My wife said she could taste it, and that it was well balanced, so maybe I'm just a worry wort. I did substitute turbinado sugar for white, because I was batching the Kenning Punch at the same time.

As for the Kenning's punch, I'll have feedback on that after the party; don't want to waste the bubbly of the barleywine.

slut chan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2014

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Awesome. I usually use white sugar rather than turbinado for Limmer's bit I'm sure it will be fine. I like a quite floral punch, but if your wife thinks it works and there is a notable floral flavor already I wouldn't risk getting it too perfumey.

Oh, also, I have since dubbed my punch Pinkhouse Punch, since my house is exceedingly pink, and it is well known as a house of punch.

Have you worked out your ice blocks yet?

She too is a goon, and having read this says I should totally add a bit more.

As for ice, I have taken a slightly smaller bowl than my punch bowl, filled it with water, and froze. The punch base has been in the fridge since last night, so it should be jolly well cold.

Thanks for all of the punch help!

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
From what I and my guests can remember, the punches were a hit, and dangerous.

I had a bit more buy in than Watcher's reported results: only a couple people kept to their beers.

The Limmer's definitely played second fiddle to the Pinkhouse, which was probably the tastiest drat thing i've had in awhile.

I actually used a spiggotted drink dispenser for the Limmer's, and had a cylindrical block of ice, which seemed to ameliorate some of the dilution issues.

Thanks for the recipes and help. Sorry I didn't take pictures. Next time, because there will be a next time. I, and hopefully a number of my friends, are now punch converts.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
God, I've been haunted by the Pinkhouse Punch ever since the party. Since I don't always have an occasion for whipping up a whole bowl o punch, I was thinking about bottling and capping a batch. I think if I drink it within a week the citrus shouldn't get weird, and the barleywine brings the carbonation.

Slight segue, is there any good rule for using beers in punches? Dallas has a booming craft beer scene, and making punches out of them sounds awesome. Especially this Indian Red Ale made by Peticolas Brewery called Velvet Hammer.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'm as green with jealousy as that bottle.

Segues are weird.

I've been wanting to try a white whiskey recently. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced bottle? Actually worth it? I know that market is a little saturated with bullshit.

Also, if it isn't just a gimmick, any good cocktails to make with it?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

slut chan posted:

I've been wanting to try a white whiskey recently. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced bottle? Actually worth it? I know that market is a little saturated with bullshit.

Also, if it isn't just a gimmick, any good cocktails to make with it?

So, I got a bottle of Dickel's white corn whiskey.

I've had it on the rocks and neat. It's interesting. I'm not getting any inspiration on what else I could do with it though.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

The Maestro posted:

I'm not a big fan of white whiskey in general. Try it martini style with dry vermouth and orange bitters, or try a caipirinha type drink

Those actually both sound good. Thanks!

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

You will regret making that punch. It will be terrible and you will remember me telling you so.

That Bobby Flay punch is obviously bad, but did you ever come to a conclusion on the Alton Brown recipe? I mean, I'd be hard pressed to find anything that holds a candle to the Pinkhouse Punch (I've made it twice now; always a hit), but I'd like to know how that episode holds up.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Could you link it? I seem to remember it was a relatively sound foundation, but it would need tweaking for balance. Also, isn't it a bourbon punch? I've always had mixed results with bourbon. I think the sharp woodiness is a bit tough to integrate into a punch.

Super jazzed you like Pinkhouse Punch so much, btw. It's one of my proudest achievements.

It's awesome. I just wish I had more occasions to bust it out.

Here's the recipe. It was Rye, not bourbon.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cape-fear-punch-recipe.html

The other punch from that episode, just for posterity.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-company-punch-recipe.html

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

The best soda for punch is Jarritos Mineragua, because it's got very strong carbonation. If you don't live around a lot of Mexicans that may not be available, in which case just use whatever is cheap and strongly bubbly.

You can totally store punch in the fridge for a bit. I do so more and more lately, because I've apparently aged out of being able to always finish a bowl. Just keep it in the fridge and serve it over ice cubes again. And good luck!

I haven't had a chance to compare, how does Jarritos stack up against Tropo Chico?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
So, Everclear has a new ad campaign...
http://makeityourown.com

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Anyone in this thread tried Malört? Local wormwood spirit in Chicago. Most people treat it like a joke, but I un-ironically enjoy it, and just wanted to know if I'm insane.

Somewhat tangentially related, as it is rather bitter.

Speaking of fernet, if I was going to pick up a bottle from my local to try, what's a good middle of the road bottle to pick up that should be readily available?

I'm in Dallas TX if that matters.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Depending on the size, couldn't you just strain into the other half of your Boston shaker?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I just got a bottle of Fernet Branca and I don't know what to do with it. halp

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, I've been shooting the Fernet, so sounds like I'm off to a good start.

Looking at the Toronto, does Fernet work well subbing for Campari in Negroni type drinks, or does it need additional sweetness?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
As someone also building a bar I can echo Chartreuse, because I sure as hell wish someone would buy me a bottle.

Also echoing Campari, as it changed my life.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Do people really put bitters in a jack and coke? Also do people really drink 10 oz of coke in it?

Bitters in everything, and I only use 10 oz of coke if I'm using 10 oz of whiskey.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Speaking of fancy bitters, has anyone tried making the own? How about their own Amari?

I've been on an Amari kick, and was thinking about giving it a go, but I wanted to hear from anyone who had tried before.

Content: a local (Dallas) bartender made some bitters using only ingredients you could find in Skyrim. During Quake Con, the Bethesda people heard about it, tried the drink, loved it, and gave him and his partner signed copies of the game.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Can you use regular walnuts from the grocery store instead of specifically black walnuts? How about also not having the outer shell?

I have a lot of walnuts from Costco that were pretty expensive, could try and put them to use.

The caraway bitters I made were really good. Great with Rye obviously.

What base spirit do you use for your bitters?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
It does have an interesting taste and mouth feel.

I had that same bottle about two years ago. Made a nice vesper.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Just made a 3 to 1 gin martini with orange bitters shaken with some lime peel and mint sprigs and it was delicious. Does this have a name, and if not, what would you call it?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Specifically-
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post447209540

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
It's in the punch masterpost I linked above.

Also, yes, that punch is the best.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Blanc is not dry. Quite the opposite, it is arguably sweeter than sweet.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Wasn't someone talking about making real flips the other day? This https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swift45/the-loggerhead-reviving-a-classic-cocktail-in-mode/description popped up in my feed. I don't know if I'd back it, as I am fairly sure if I cared enough I could produce a reasonable facsimile from my local hardware store.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Do you have Bianco vermouth? Also makes a nice negroni.

Jungle Bird?

Girabaldi?
1 1/2 ounces Campari
3 1/2 ounces fresh orange juice
prosecco, to top

With Soda?

Put it in beer for a Camparty?

Mix 50:50 with Fernet and drink it on the rocks, Ferrari.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I realized one day I was a bitter, amaro, and campari fanatic, and I asked myself, how did I get here?

I traced it all the way back to Rocco Milano's Italian Old Fashioned at Private/Social (RIP) here in Dallas. Looking it up, Makers Mark Bourbon, Dolin Rouge, lemon and orange peel and dehydrated Campari. He dehydrated the Campari by pouring it onto a sheet pan and setting it on top of a hot oven at the restaurant until it was a full sheet of the crusty sugar crystals you get around the rim of a bottle. It was just enough to pique my interest, just get my toe wet.

Now I shoot Fernet Branca straight room temp and look askance at my fiends when they don't think it's delicious.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
If you have access to espresso, then espresso martinis (wish this had a better name) can be very tasty. Doesn't use massive amounts of coffee liqueur, but it's something.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
The one I was thinking of was slightly less sugary. Just vodka, espresso, coffee liquor, shaken. Garnish with a couple beans if you fancy.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Zima dosed with Aperol with a twist of lime is trashy and delicious.

I should be ashamed but I'm not.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

goferchan posted:

Lol I did kinda skip over that part, thank you.

I clarified some juice for the first time today because our kitchen had way too much watermelon. Here's my before and after:

I did the quick and dirty agar method described in this post from Dave Arnold and I was pretty happy with the results. Not sure if you can see it in the pic but there are definitely still a few solids in there... not sure if I just need better cheesecloth or if I messed something up in the actual cooking process. Tastes great and the silky texture is something else. I have no idea what to do with it though! Open to all suggestions... I think it would play well with a little touch of absinthe but I don't know with what base spirit.

edit: lol speaking of not reading things I totally missed the line at the end where he suggests passing it thru a coffee filter at the very end of the process to get any remaining particles out. guess i'll do that tomorrow!

On 'Merica Day I had a drink with Gin, Watermelon juice, Aperol, lime, and soda. Did a few variations on it, and just the base gin and watermelon worked well.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Glycerine extracts flavors similarly to how alcohol does, and it tastes sweet, but some people aren't glycerine fans.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
So, I was recommending punches the other day, and while walking through the Limmer's recipe, I came upon a question I didn't have the answer to.

Why do you make a syrup with the Orange Blossom water, instead of just using more sugar and water then adding the Orange Blossom to the punch directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
My other guess was it was due to the scalability of the recipe. It's written so that if you multiply by 2.5, it's for a 5th of gin, and 6 for a handle. You probably couldn't come up with an easily scalable measure for such a concentrated ingredient.

the recipe for those that don't have Kenning's master punch post bookmarked.

slut chan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 17, 2017