Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm looking to make some Old Fashioned's this weekend. What should I get in terms of liquor? Bourbon, rye or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made my first Old Fashioned tonight and it's quite delicious and ended up buying a handle of Makers. Lots of Makers :yum:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Amazon is having some sales on kitchen schtuff. One of the things that piqued my interest were these large ice cube trays:

http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-80-5521-Jumbo-Size-Silicone-Ice-Cube/dp/B00395FHRO/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321292449&sr=1-7

I've been looking to get larger cubes for my cocktails, but how necessary are they? Does the decreased surface area really make a huge difference worth spending some money for?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Worth getting if I'm looking to learn more about making cocktails?

http://www.amazon.com/Fee-Brothers-Bar-Cocktail-Bitters/dp/B001CDQCFQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1331408474&sr=8-14

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hmm okay thanks for the advice. I've been using the Angostura bitters when making my current drinks but had been curious about how the other types would taste. I'll try out a bottle of orange like you guys said.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
In a similar vein, the other night MY GIRLFRIEND and I went to a this Cuban restaurant in the city and our cocktails were awesome. I was introduced to ginger rum in both my mojito and caipirinha. Holy crap was the added "spice" of the ginger awesome.

I decided to make some on my own and for the past four days I've had a pint mason jar of your basic clear rum with a fair amount of chopped ginger. It smells really awesome and the color looks like it's completely infused. I figure I'll strain it out tonight and try making a drink.

Aside from the mojito and cairpirinha, any other suggestions for the ginger rum?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

In a similar vein, the other night MY GIRLFRIEND and I went to a this Cuban restaurant in the city and our cocktails were awesome. I was introduced to ginger rum in both my mojito and caipirinha. Holy crap was the added "spice" of the ginger awesome.

I decided to make some on my own and for the past four days I've had a pint mason jar of your basic clear rum with a fair amount of chopped ginger. It smells really awesome and the color looks like it's completely infused. I figure I'll strain it out tonight and try making a drink.

Aside from the mojito and cairpirinha, any other suggestions for the ginger rum?

I tried this out with my ginger mojito:

I know it's not as fancy as some of the drinks made here but I really like it... :shobon: You get a lot of the ginger spice after sipping and it's awesome.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Appl posted:

Exactly. Here's an article by the owner of a really delicious cocktail bar that goes into more depth:

http://theblackhoof.com/2011/02/vodka-is-stupid/

Does this also apply to potato vodka? The ones I've had tasted differently and have a flavor to them.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mister Macys posted:

On that note, what's the goon opinion of El Jimador? (blanco specifically, reposado optionally)
It's literally on the bottom shelf, and our province-run liquor stores price it ~$3 lower than the Cuervo/Sauza/Olmeca mixto poo poo.
In fact, I believe it's the lowest price tequila in Ontario. 100% agave, or otherwise.

Alton Brown had a bottle of Jimador in his Raising the Bar II episode, but I'd like the (anecdotal) opinions of other drinkers.
I'm still in the "clear spirits" (gin, tequila, and infused vodkas) phase of my drinking education, and have only recently started moving into rums.

I've been trying out different tequilas as I genuinely like the flavor of it. I really didn't like El Jimador. Even my goto margarita recipe couldn't cover the bad flavor of it.

I've found Camarena tequila to be really good for the price: http://www.tequilacamarena.com/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been using Sauza Hornitos as it seems to be the standard recommendation for quality cocktail tequila; maybe I'll try Camarena next time.

I enjoy Sauza Hornitos on the rocks, great to sip :)

Also, I always see the bottle of Agave Nectar at my grocery store but I'm too chicken to buy it. How's the flavor compare to a regular simple syrup?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Klauser posted:

I like to use agave in lieu of simple for any drink that has tequila in it, as well as a small pinch of salt.

I have been using Espolon as my go to silver for a while and am really enjoying it.

Espolon is in a cool little bottle but I've been too scared to try it out.

Also, I've mostly stuck to silver/blanco tequila because that's what I've always used. What are some good cocktails to make that use either a reposado or an anejo?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have this small bottle of club soda that's gonna go flat soon. I have bourbon, rye, vodka, gin, silver tequila, ginger rum, spiced rum, "clear" rum (bacardi superior, it was cheap for the ginger rum), grenadine, rose's lime juice, maraschino cherries, limes, lemons, oranges, angostura bitters.

Goons, what cocktail do I make tonight with any of those ingredients with the club soda?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kwantam posted:

How about a twist on the singapore sling?

0.5 tsp sugar, 1 oz lemon juice, maraschino cherry, muddled
1 oz ginger rum
0.5 oz bourbon (or rye, but I think the spiciness from the ginger should be sufficient)

shake, strain, add cracked or coarse crushed ice and soda.

I'd garnish with a flamed orange peel, m'self.

Sounds delicious! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Halloween Jack posted:

How else do you make a margarita?

(But seriously, pretty much every margarita I make is reposado tequila, Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and a few drops of dark agave syrup to balance the tartness. I have no need of salt.)

Silver tequila, whole lime, triple sec, bit of lime zest simple syrup. Mmmm.

(I love limes)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Google isn't really helping me, but I bought a bag of key limes because I don't know why.

Can they be substitutes for regular limes, or are there special drinks I could make with them? I don't have as many obscure liquors/spirits as lots of people here, but I have a good assortment of stuff.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yep, the basil, simple syrup, lemon and rye recipe posted above is loving delicious.

I topped it with soda water. Does that make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Having a party tomorrow. We'd like to make a punch/sangria to supplement the (non expensive standard beers) for folks. We can't do anything overly fancy, but do people have some solid goto recipes for either of those? I know it's a common question :shobon:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Vegetable Melange posted:

What kind of booze do you have?

Any really and I'm willing to run out to the local liquor store and grab it. We just need to keep the drink relatively "tame". This would be for about 20 people.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kenning posted:

My perennial suggestion for that sort of occasion is Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's guaranteed to be popular. However, if you'd like to do something a little more classic-tasting, I'd recommend either Admiral Russel's Punch with VS cognac (actual cognac please) and sherry, or Kenning's Punch (which I've also referred to as Pinkhouse Punch Noble), with Irish whiskey and barleywine – a concoction of which I really am quite proud. As a bonus, that last post I linked also has a link to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Sangria recipe.

Awesome, thank you very much. I will let you know what we go with.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kenning posted:

My perennial suggestion for that sort of occasion is Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's guaranteed to be popular. However, if you'd like to do something a little more classic-tasting, I'd recommend either Admiral Russel's Punch with VS cognac (actual cognac please) and sherry, or Kenning's Punch (which I've also referred to as Pinkhouse Punch Noble), with Irish whiskey and barleywine – a concoction of which I really am quite proud. As a bonus, that last post I linked also has a link to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Sangria recipe.

Ended up going with Jeffrey Morgenthaler's sangria and it was a huge hit. Made about 3 gallons of it and we're all rightfully hungover as gently caress today. Perfect drink for the night. Thank you for the suggestions.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well then, time to find some cheap aged rye

Can you find Old Overholt?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hi friends. I read an article in the NYT Magazine about Spanish vermouth: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/magazine/starring-vermouth.html

It sounded really good and I've never had it before. Do people have any suggestions with it? Is the article full of poo poo? Would I not notice a difference between Spanish, American, Italian etc? I know next to nothing about vermouth :).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Hi friends. I read an article in the NYT Magazine about Spanish vermouth: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/magazine/starring-vermouth.html

It sounded really good and I've never had it before. Do people have any suggestions with it? Is the article full of poo poo? Would I not notice a difference between Spanish, American, Italian etc? I know next to nothing about vermouth :).

Ended up getting this: Atxa Vino Vermouth Rojo http://demaisonselections.com/achavermouthred.html

Drinking it on the rocks with a lemon wedge after work, owns.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey folks, throwing an earlier Holidays party here. Any recommendations for an appropriate punch? Definitely looking to have something super good for good friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BrianBoitano posted:

Check the last page (or two?)

E: found it!

Also page 168 has a wedding fall punch back-and-forth

I went 2 pages back, not 3!!!

Thank you :)