Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I was going to make a cocktail thread, had it all typed up but I was drunk on Mojitos and deleted it :(

Anyway. I'm a bartender, too. The last bar I worked in for over a year was a cocktail bar, but one of the newer types, where everything is fruity and has a name with an innuendo. A lot of people look down on them, but it's still a cocktail.

I believe that the main thing that stops a lot of people achieving bar-quality drinks at home is ice. Most people have poor ice, or just not enough of it to properly make a drink. I know I only have 1-2 ice trays in my freezer, which is barely enough for one shaken drink.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cocktail blogs? I'm following Cocktail Chronicles, Mixology Monday, Pegu, and Kaiser Penguin. Any other ones worth reading?

I have a craving for a dirty martini now, and I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I went the other night to Hyde & Co, a brilliant speakeasy-type bar where you have to sit down and be well-dressed to get in (they look through the spyhole and check you out before opening the door). I had a couple of amazing drinks (you can check out the menu on there - I had a rhum conference, a norwegian wood, a Princeton no2 and an old fashioned). What else would you guys check out for the next time I go there?

Anyway, there are now 4 places in my city that are the same sort of idea...you have to be smart, knock on a door and they only let you in if there's space to sit. They're generally unmarked and unsigned, and a little bit out of the way. I'm sure there are similar things elsewhere, but I haven't heard of any. It's strange that there are 4 in my relatively small city though, are they popular elsewhere and just not heard of until you know someone that knows them?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I've never even drank one, I need to rectify this I think.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Speaking of the Trinidad Sour, what's a good orgeat I can use for it?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I keep on meaning to expand my spirit selection so I can actually make some cocktails at home, but then I go to my local shop and just buy more gin. 8 bottles and counting.

Maybe I should just buy some vermouth and make all the martinis

edit: Bought some Cointreau. White lady: egg white or no?

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Klauser posted:

Buy 8 bottles each of sweet vermouth and Campari and make all the Negronis.

Kidding aside, gin can do so much more than make a martini, especially if you love it so much.

If you like drinks with egg white in them, then yeah.

Campari is next on my list, I do love a Negroni. My only issue with buying vermouth is that I don't think I'll get through it all before it goes off.