Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Banana Jack rum (Very banana-ey. Don't know what to do with this.)
This plus vodka and redbull. There's also some 99 bananas runt recipe somewhere and you should be able to replace the 99 bananas with the banana jack. IIRC the latter is much more complex though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ohio has stupid liquor laws and I need to buy some absinthe. I don't want to end up buying a lovely bottle, what are the brands I should be looking for.

Never going to drink it straight/dripped, need it for other cocktails.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kenning posted:

Well, if you do invest in a $50-$60 bottle of absinthe the fact is it will last a long drat time, since what are you really gonna use absinthe for? Sazeracs, Corpse Revivers, maybe the occasional Obituary Cocktail. I personally think that's a worthwhile thing to keep in the bar, because, like something like Chartreuse, real absinthe makes a difference in a cocktail, and it sucks to not have it, even though it's pricey as gently caress.

I plan on getting a real bottle, mostly to rim or use in a splash. Have never drank much of it, doubt I'll every try it with a dip or anything. But I love Sazeracs and it looks like other cocktails I see with it I'll love as well, including the two you mentioned.

Going through that site though, the bottle I recognize that is in stock around my area is Lucid, which as I suspected by the look of the bottle, is very middle of the road and is around 70 dollars...

Hopefully the other bottle ends up being better when I can get over there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Klauser, I was recently gifted a bottle of Italian "mirto" and a bottle of Benedictine. Any recommendations for cocktails that use either of those?
For the benedictine, you'll have to double check this since I'm at work, but one of my favorites is:

4 parts: Cognac
2 parts: Benedictine
1 part: Fernet Branca

Or the Toronto:

8 parts Rye
3 parts Fernet-Branca
1 part simple syrup
dash of Angostura bitters (per standard cocktail)

/e - No idea why I added the Toronto....

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are some good layered or floated cocktails, I made quite a few JFK Harris cocktails this holiday season and they were a big hit, getting people drunker than normal.

Recipe:
white rum, lemon juice, sugar and mint on the rocks with a float of red wine

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Klauser posted:

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.
I love the taste, but I think I suck at floating things, hardly an eye popper. What's the trick?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Klauser posted:

(who posts a recipe for 2 drinks by default)
People who aren't alone :smith:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have decided this summer that I want to get into some tiki/rum drinks, where is a good place to start?

If it's a book you are looking for this is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Bum-Berry-Remixed-Jeff/dp/1593621396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368387303&sr=8-1&keywords=beachbum+berry+remixed

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Ha well I expected some hate. I wanted to say the Grenadine I bought practically ruined the drink, while the Maraschino juice (Giant brand) was enjoyable in a nostalgic way. Although ostensibly they shouldn't be that different. I just have poor results with dissolving sugar even when I try to start with non-chilled liquids and I'm too lazy to make simple syrup. Better than resorting to the splenda concentrate drops I have. I realize the liqueur is completely different, just wanted to see if anyone thought it was appropriate to this.
Making simple syrup is the number one best thing you can do for a home bar. Literally takes 5 minutes if your faucet pumps it out hot too (or don't and use distilled).

I think rather than starting with an old fashioned to make your "old fashioned", you should start with something else. The following recipe is from Bitters which is a fantastic book.

quote:

The Autumn Sweater

We could slip away
Wouldn't that be better?

The bittersweet lyrics of "Autumn Sweater," from Yo La Tengo's 1997 album, I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, serve as the source material for this melancholy change-of-season shoegazer. Serve it over a large block of ice, or over an ice sphere--even better to evoke a fat harvest moon hanging in the nighttime sky.

Made in Sicily since 1868, Averna is a syrupy, bitter herbal liqueur. It isn't overpowering, though, and is a great gateway amaro if you're interested in exploring potable bitters. Amaro Nonino is another mild Italian digestif whose caramel color and warm, spicy burnt orange notes round out the full fall flavors here. Wrap yourself in an Autumn Sweater and embrace what the season has in store for you.

Makes 1 drink

1 ounce rye
1/2 ounce Averna
1/2 ounce Amaro Nonino
1/2 ounce maple syrup
1 dash Urban Moonshine maple bitters
1 dash orange bitters
Garnish: thick clove-studded strip of orange zest
Combine all the ingredients except the garnish in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until chilled. Add a large sphere of ice to a chilled double old-fashioned and strain the drink into the glass.

For the garnish, use a paring knife to slice a thick strip of zest from an orange. Twist it over the drink to release the essential oils and rub along the rim of the glass. Stud the orange zest with two whole cloves and drape it over the ice sphere.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Canadian Bakin posted:

What's the best way to turn a dessert wine into a cocktail? My dad brought home a bottle of raspberry, and I haven't a clue what to do with it. Other than drizzle over ice cream or mix with sparkling wine. Am I on the right track with either of those ideas?
I usually turn to dry wines, but you may be able to layer it in some cocktails like a manhattan sour.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Hebug posted:

Unlike flavored vodkas, gin is made by infusing and redistilling.
I believe Gin should also be distilled from grains, vodka is anything and everything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So I picked up a pair of these giant ice cube trays and don't know what to do with them. So far I've just used them to make an iced tea punch thing to have with cigars, but that will not be appropriate when the weather starts turning.

They do not really fit in many of my glasses either. Right now I'm thinking of maybe hollowing them out and having ice shot glasses, but that's just a party gimmick. I'd hate to just have to grab a pick and use these as my big cubes to make crushed ice or jagged cubes for presentation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Which leads to my question: If I'm using it just as a mixer, what's a good blended scotch to try? I've read excellent reviews of Teachers, Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Chivas 12. I'd be using the scotch for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned, Sours, Affinity and even Scotch and Soda. All of the ones I've mentioned are pretty close in price around here between 18-25 a bottle.
Pig's Nose if you can find it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are some good neat cocktails. Going camping this weekend and don't want to drink just beer. Ice will not be available/plentiful.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I'll get them a lot of the time I'm at a club/bar where everything is overpriced and costs $x. Why would I spend $10 on rail gin & tonic gun for minimal drunkenness when a long island is the same price but a lot more drink? I guess the right answer is not going to those places at all, but decent cocktail bars rarely have single women where I am.
Ahh you must live in Cleveland.

For content, what're some good cocktails for cachaça rather than muddling a cube of sugar with half a lime?

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For mixing bourbons I usually rotate the following bottles:
Buffalo Trace
Bullet
Elijah Craig 12 year
Four Roses (cheapest)

And I try to always have some Weller for wheated bourbon cocktails. As a disclaimer I have not had Evan Williams Black.

/e - Makers is good on occasion and ladies tend to like it for some reason, but for the price point and what it offers you should not use it as your staple mixer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I should have specified yellow label. Thanks though, I did not realize that. When I was at the distillery last year they did not have anything Bulliet related.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^^^ /efb
Don't, know you like the triple sec drinks before you grab a bottle of Cointreau that may only be used for an occasional marg. If you like Campari, and please be sure before you buy a bottle, you will use it tons.

I'll suggest Espolon for tequila

Cruzon for run

Bluecoat for gin

RE: bourbon

Mr. Wookums posted:

For mixing bourbons I usually rotate the following bottles:
Buffalo Trace
Bullet
Elijah Craig 12 year
Four Roses (cheapest)

And I try to always have some Weller for wheated bourbon cocktails. As a disclaimer I have not had Evan Williams Black.

/e - Makers is good on occasion and ladies tend to like it for some reason, but for the price point and what it offers you should not use it as your staple mixer.

Maraschino before Chartreuse unless you can find the smalls.

Famous grouse for scotch you didn't ask for, it's a good mixing one for the cheap.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Just got back from a date at a new place that specializes only in cocktails and will match you with a new one if you give them a listing of what you like and don't like. So I had a gold rush for the first time and I must say what a darn tasty drink!
If you liked that one try a Penicillin.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I'm struggling to justify using more expensive ingredients in my cocktails these days. I bought a bottle of Martin Miller gin - probably about 30% more expensive than my usual Beefeater - but couldn't tell any difference in a Negroni or other mix. I think the only thing I would go for is a high proof bourbon for an Old Fashioned (like WT101), but everything else I'm sticking to mid-range ingredients from now on.
There's a relatively popular Gin in Ohio called "Watershed Gin" which has a flavor profile that is super unique, throwing that in a french 75 or a negroni completely transforms the drink. Dogfishhead makes a hop infused Gin which does a similar thing. Just an example, but I think you should be going for the more radical flavors first and then move to the more subtle.

For your bourbons do not worry about proof first, rather the rye/wheat percentage.

Try at a bar first if you can, make martinis, love gin.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

I am at least two skill levels below most people in this thread, but don't you normally shake and strain a manhattan? I thought you did because the bitters help incorporate air into it which gives the drink a kind of a different flavor & feel, I believe. Maybe I'm full of poo poo and I've been doing it wrong since the beginning of time, but I always shake my manhattans. (Am I doing it wrong, thread?)
Shake cocktails with juice, dairy and egg, stir everything else.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, tonight, I realized I have actually run out of room in my liquor cabinet. THerefore I am getting a bag of lemons after class, making up a batch of simple syrup and then going to town. Thinking of killing a bottle of gin with aviations, then switch to clearing out a bourbon with whiskey sours, then maybe getting drunkenly inventive with what's left.

Thoughts on the stupidity/greatness of this idea?

EDIT: Oh snap, just remember I got two new bottles of fee brothers bitters. Aztec Chocolate and um, Black Walnut I think. Thoughts on those?
I bought another cabinet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are non HFCS ones on the market as well, but usually are not reduced as much as I'd like.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jason posted:

I'm looking to make a large batch of some kind of gin or rum based drink to bring to an adult softball tournament this weekend in an igloo cooler. It looks to be at least 90 degrees this weekend so ice cold and refreshing is the key. This is will be more of a binge drinking event than a classy cocktail party so no high dollar spirits, champagne, etc.

I'm imagining gin with some combination of: mint/basil, citrus, maybe cucumber, maybe watermelon, maybe something fizzy. Any suggestions?
South Side (I think Gin, Lemon, Simple, Cucumber, mint). I'd avoid the fizzy unless you're going to top off some mass produced french 75/76 as it'll go flat and you'll have dilution already due to cooler ice, with the disclaimer that I've never iglooed a cocktail.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jason posted:

Liking both the watermelon/lime/mint and the south side ideas. Kenning, I have actually made that punch and one other you posted for different parties and they were a big hit. For this though, I think I'm leaning towards something with cucumber or watermelon (or both!)in it. Those two ingredients just scream hot summer day to me.
I miss-typed/recalled. I was thinking of the eastside (southside + cucumber) if you're looking for ratio.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any suggestions for fun things to do with Aperol? I got some for aperol spritzes but now I'm bored with those.
http://www.10thkitchen.com/2013/12/hoperol-flip/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hoperol flip is pretty good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fresh eggs?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure that this has been answered to death, but I'm unable to find it in the first or last few pages: What is your preferred mid-range gin for martinis? For gin/tonics? I tend to get Tanqueray as a "safe" pick, but I'd love to know if I'm missing out on something better by not spending the extra $10.
I really like bluecoat and don't see it recommended here enough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scythe posted:

You've already got a ton of good responses, and I'll never turn down a Wild Turkey 101-based drink in particular, but I wanted to recommend Weller Antique as well. It makes a great boulevardier.

(I generally prefer wheated bourbons in bourbon cocktails, though; I find that if high-rye bourbons taste good, usually a rye tastes better to me. Maker's is definitely too sweet and weak to stand up to other ingredients, but overproof wheated is very nice.)

While we're talking whiskey drinks, I bought a bottle of bonded Mellow Corn recently because I felt like I had to try it. Can I actually make any decent cocktails with it?
Where are you at that you can even find weller?

Because of its rarity alone, I'd recommend staying away from mixing with it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scythe posted:

Well, now you're worrying me! I feel like I see it around here in NYC all the time, but Astor Wines is out which is never a good sign. I'll be sad if it's discontinued, it's my standard wheated.

(Also, I just realized I was unclear; there's the "William Larue Weller" that's part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, which is not what I'm talking about. You're right, that is super rare and I have never seen it. I was referring to the "Old Weller Antique" which, confusingly, is not part of the Antique Collection. It's not special release, just a solid mid-shelf whiskey. The "W.L. Weller Special Reserve" is also good and also not special release, but only 90 proof to the Antique's 107.)
It was featured on the chew or some poo poo as a great bourbon for less than Makers or something. I believe they said that it was the same as pappy unless you're a snob. Hopefully demand will loose interest soon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

old fashioned is about as cheap as it gets without being a turd.

Followed by martini/manhattan

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Huh, at every place I've been that has cocktails with egg available, they've just cracked an egg for it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not a shot of bitters, but a Saywer is pretty drat good too

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cleveland is 12-18 :(

With that in mind, the best cocktails I've gotten in this city are at:
Velvet Tango Room
Society
Black Pig

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whisky (or ______ ) sour.

Manhattan sours are cool for looks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Since you have mint a south side iirc as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At least from the FN, Aunt Sandra didn't make things with a million parts sugar.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Generally I've seen that unless you are at a place like the four seasons you need to actively hire a bartender separate of catering otherwise it'll be some person who has the equivalent bar experience as just serving from a cafeteria. Open bars are dangerous for me since they're made so inconstantly, I can't tell how much I've been drinking. If you won't hire a bartender at least buy a few good kegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The irony is at most places if you order a martini with a rim of vermouth you actually get straight vodka.