Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I thought I'd run my personal Old Fashioned recipe by the thread and ask for any pointers. Slightly unorthodox, but I think close enough to the original.

2 part Rittenhouse BiB 100 proof Rye Whiskey
1 part Paul Masson VSOP Brandy
.5 part Maraschino Cherry Jar Liquid
.25 part real Maple Syrup
5 dashes Angostura Bitters
5 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
2 Maraschino Cherries

Dimensions are approximate I just make sure 1:2 Brandy:Rye ratio. I keep the Rye in the freezer to ensure less cooling need. Use the big ice cubes thanks to the tray recommendation from this thread. Crystal sugar never dissolves well for me, I stick to sweet liquids. I found liquor store Grenadine to be gross red sugar water, the Maraschino liquid, if pedestrian, really does the trick. The maple syrup I bought mainly for food, but it adds a nice dimension. I was intrigued by Maraschino liqeur in this thread, think it's worth checking out? Potomac Wine and Spirits in Georgetown Washington DC has everything, they are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Ha well I expected some hate. I wanted to say the Grenadine I bought practically ruined the drink, while the Maraschino juice (Giant brand) was enjoyable in a nostalgic way. Although ostensibly they shouldn't be that different. I just have poor results with dissolving sugar even when I try to start with non-chilled liquids and I'm too lazy to make simple syrup. Better than resorting to the splenda concentrate drops I have. I realize the liqueur is completely different, just wanted to see if anyone thought it was appropriate to this.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Thanks for all the feedback. I will start making my own simple syrup following a recipe calling for 2:1 sugar: water with a dash of vodka to make it not spoil, sound right? Not sure how much I'll change up my recipe, it's served me well and gotten me mad drunk.

I think having simple syrup on hand would really mix up my mojito! I make mine with half Marti Mojito Rum (kind of a like a full strength Liqueur) and half 51 Cachaça. Just love that Brazilian rum, so crisp. Also fresh club soda from newly purchased sodastream. And of course muddled mint and lime. Sound legit?

Also for content, something I sort of created, which is amazing:

Reformed Thug Passion
Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut Sparkling Wine
Splash of Gold Passion Alizé
1 or 2 drops of Peychaud's bitters

Serve in a regular wine glass.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've been experimenting with various Rye and Brandy cocktails, like Vieux Carre. But I got to say my spin on the classic Brandy and Benedictine is so good, current favorite. Even my wife liked it and she hates really boozy things. I like Paul Masson VSOP because it seems more dry than Cognac. I half the ratio of Bénédictine because that stuff is very sweet and intense. A must for any brandy lover.

1 oz Bénédictine
3 oz Brandy
Splash absinthe (mine is full proof and comes in a small bottle, forgot brand)
2-4 drops Angostura bitters to balance sweetness

Stir with 1 extra large ice cube.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

rxcowboy posted:

what's a good blended scotch to try?

My pick is definitely Famous Grouse. I landed on that because I looked up some of the malts they use in the blend and they're all things I think I like. And when I was in Edinburgh it seemed popular in the local bars. Great stuff. But definitely experiment. I need to mix up some scotch cocktails...

quote:

orange liqueur

I mixed up a marg the other night with just cheap Dekuyper Triple Sec. Small amount. Didn't really detract. Threw in some orange bitters too because why not?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 21, 2013

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

angor posted:

I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

Doesn't look like anyone has replied. Mix sounds spot on, I'd only add some fresh cracked black pepper. I'd do a some quick research to see if alcohol interferes with agar agar setting action. Let us know how it goes.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I thought I'd post my latest go-to cocktail for advice and maybe an idea for a name for it.

1/2 portion Rye Whiskey
1/2 portion Brandy
Splash Benedictine
Splash Maple Syrup
Splash Campari
Splash Absinthe
2 drops Angostura Bitters

Typing it out it kinda looks like too many components, but I keep making them. It's really just a modified Vieux Carré with elements of a Sazerac. I kinda think I'm not a huge Vermouth fan, but maybe I just need to broaden my horizons and buy a different brand than Martini. I find that melding a sweet base with Absinthe is quite divine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Does anyone know a way to attach one of those drip tops to a bottle of Campari? Or acquiring one? Like you would find on a small bottle of more potent bitters. Would love to be able to more accurately measure it out (use a small amount).

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Twice recently I've gone to open old bottles of Cognac at a guest's house where I was staying and the cork broke. Sucks.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How does Herbsaint compare in flavor profile to a typical Absinthe? I feel like the Absinthe I have, Absinthe Ordinaire, is not that great, it's actually labeled a liqueur. I make a lot of New Orleans-y cocktails anyway, so I guess Herbsaint makes sense?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If you want to get unorthodox with an Old Fashioned, make your own flavored simple syrup! Lots of possibilities and no worries about dissolving sugar. I like Thyme, it's subtle.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Can't echo enough how disappointing Rose's Grenadine was. I looked at the ingredients and it was basically high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, red food coloring. I got criticized here for using Maraschino cherry syrup in a drink, but it was way better. Maybe sometime I'll try doing Grenadine right.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Might get burned for this, but I like a Sazerac with a little more lemon flavor. Cut off the zest of 1/2 a lemon carefully in strips minimizing the pith and muddle that in with your syrup or sugar. It's not classic though.

The recipe in the prior post is solid, incorporating a little brandy in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio with the whiskey is great, as is using a tiny bit of Angostura. Peychaud's should still be the dominate bitters though.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's a legit good brand of Cachaça? All I can ever find are 51 and Pitu, not sure they are bad necessarily though.

Might be a better question for the rum thread.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

Take the proportions way down. I love Campari, but I think a cocktail containing 1/3 Campari like the classic Negroni recipe would be way too much. Use it like a bitters that comes in a way bigger bottle without a dasher cap.

Try the "old fashioned" template, do either whiskey or brandy, some kind of sweetener, and small amounts angostura and campari. Innovate from there.

Add a tiny bit to soda water. I open canned seltzer water (any flavor) and pour a little bit of Campari directly into the mouth of the can carefully, drink. Now when I drink seltzer without this it feels incomplete, that's how much I like it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Saw some Lebanese Arak for sale. Grape spirits + aniseed. Not very expensive.

Worth a buy? I already have Pernod on hand.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did a trip to the Bay Area and picked up some good stuff:
1/2 bottle Green Chartreuse
1/2 bottle Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
Fernet-Branca
Vida Mezcal
Orange Blossom Water
Angostura Orange Bitters (wanted to compare w Regan's)

Y'all ain't kidding, the Chartreuse is drat expensive. I was surprised to see Fernet-Branca on mainstream bar menus, I don't see that on the east coast.

The Bamboo Hut in North Beach San Francisco had some really good drinks. Got wrecked on a Zombie at the end of an already heavy night. Also Navy Grog and one I forgot that came in a bowl.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

poop dood posted:

Where the hell do you live? I see it all over cocktail lists in Richmond, DC, and Atlanta. Several bars in Richmond offer shots of Fernet for pretty cheap.

DC and I've been to Richmond many times. Now that you've said that I'll probably notice it everywhere. Wikipedia has some nice citations on its popularity in San Francisco:
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/the-myth-of-fernet/Content?oid=2158526
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/11/the-bitter-beginning/307041/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Skip the citrus peel garnish and make peel syrup with the Oleo-Saccharum method.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
A made a cup of 1:1 palm sugar syrup. Tastes slightly funky. Mainly for pad thai suace, but I might try it in a drink. Any ideas? Something tropical-esque maybe.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it weird to use orange blossom water in a margarita? I like to reinforce the orange flavor by using some Triple Sec, orange bitters, and homemade orange peel syrup. I find Angostura Orange Bitters has more pure orange flavor than Regan's. So the former for margs, the latter for other stuff.

I realize the blossom water is kind of a different flavor, I happened to buy some and I haven't been using a lot of it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My Glühwein/Mulled Wine recipe called for sugar, lemon, and orange among other things. I went ahead and did a 1 day Oleo-Saccharum with the peels instead of just simmering them straight out like the recipe called for.

Good move or not?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

our cold brew, heavy saline solution, cardamom whipped cream "ice coffee"

What does it mean for ice coffee to have a heavy saline solution? Salty coffee? Or the salt makes the ice water chilling it very cold?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 15, 2015

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Clamato cocktail, lime juice, Vietnamese fish sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire, celery seed-everclear infusion, hot sauce (not Tabasco, something more Mexican style like Yucateco or Cholula)

I've been wondering how to get horseradish involved. Fresh grate a whole root? I like the celery seed infusion because it tastes like Old Bay but it's all liquid and no added salt, plenty of salt in the other ingredients. I haven't had commercial celery bitters to compare, should probably pick some up.

I realize Clamato makes it a Caesar but I find it's not dramatically different, the other ingredients you choose make a bigger difference.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The even ratio of The Last Word cannot be messed with? That is a lot of Maraschino and Chartreuse to use.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Are Seville Oranges available yet? I was considering tackling DIY Triple Sec. Or the Seville Orange punch.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm gonna make a 1/6 portion of Frank Forrester's Punch to test it for a large party. I was thinking of using Jasmine Green Tea instead of regular green tea. Terrible idea? Feel like the flavor is pretty unique and great.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Test batch of Frank Forester's Punch tastes pretty good.

300 mL E&J XO Brandy
800 mL Jasmine Green Tea
200 mL Lemon Peel Oleo Saccharum Turbinado Syrup
200 mL DeKuyper Triple Sec
750 mL Brut Cava (cheap $6 bottle from Trader Joe's)
100 mL Lemon Juice

This green tea is tricky, I brewed with below boiling water but probably too long, getting those astringent tannins, tea thread knows what's up. Tastes sublime when brewed perfectly, jasmine is really nice floral note in the punch. I'll dial it in more carefully next time. Using French Press. I know E&J isn't Cognac but I love the flavor esp for the value. Might spring for the Grand Marnier.

I make lemon peel syrup in advance and add a splash of Everclear to preserve it. Put it in Sazeracs. So I didn't really measure out the sugar.

I might break out this punch later in the evening, it's a housewarming party with some older family starting in the afternoon.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Frank Forrester's punch went very well! Apparently I have a handsome 5 liter punch bowl of heavy glass as a wedding present I hadn't picked up from the inlaws. Scaled it 2 bottles of Cava Brut, eyeballed all the proportions, did the smaller-bowl ice block technique. Hit it with a little bit of Angosutra and Regan's orange, some club soda, and used jasmine green tea as I said before. Otherwise pretty faithful to the recipe. Very quaffable for sure, it got finished.

Thanks cocktails thread.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Campari is great with hard cider if you have some of that laying around. The lack of inherent bitterness kinda screams for something like Campari.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's a good use of celery bitters besides Bloody Marys/Micheladas?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Can you use regular walnuts from the grocery store instead of specifically black walnuts? How about also not having the outer shell?

I have a lot of walnuts from Costco that were pretty expensive, could try and put them to use.

The caraway bitters I made were really good. Great with Rye obviously.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

slut chan posted:

What base spirit do you use for your bitters?

I use everclear for the steep. Then I wash the solids with some water to get trapped flavor and alcohol out of them. I guess the final ABV is like 40-60%. On Reddit r/bitters they said everclear is bad because the end result is cloudy. Doesn't bother me though.

I've done celery seed, black pepper cardamom, caraway anise. I feel like high proof spirit + whole dried spices freshly ground it's hard to go wrong.

Too bad about the walnuts. I'm not a walnut lover anyway though.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bubz posted:

using fire?

I've heard charred rosemary is nice but I haven't tried it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
A woman from Serious Eats came out with a technique that's essentially a "dry caramel." Not sure how novel it really is but it is interesting.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/dry-toasted-sugar-granulated-caramel-recipe.html

Could it have cocktail applications? Maybe you could use it on an oleo-saccharum.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the best way to bring in Thyme flavor, syrup or liquor infusion? Syrup seems pretty popular, but infusion makes more sense with the hydrophobic oils.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Singani seems super hip right now, is it worth tracking down? I'm local to DC, which seems to be an epicenter. I've had Pisco (pretty nice) and Grappa (terrible but maybe I got a bad bottle) before.

Wikipedia says it's a pomace brandy but other sources seem to say the whole grape is distilled.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kind of in a bit of a cocktail rut. I generally only make 4 things at home:
Sazerac Variation
Too-many-ingredients cocktail that is similar to a Vieux Carré
Spicy Mezcal Margarita
Less commonly a rum drink like Dark and Stormy

Any ideas to vary things up? I have a pretty wide bar. Bottle of Maraschino I've had trouble using. No gin though, I like all sorts of botanicals, but I think it's the Juniper itself that bothers me.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I like to add a tiny bit of Peychaud's to cheap sparkling wine. It doesn't really go in everything like Ango, more limited use IMO.

I've drinks like those before. Not a big Vermouth person, I got some Carpano Antica, the good stuff, kept it in the fridge, it was good but not worth the hassle I think.

I like the idea of a batched Manhattan bc the higher ABV retards the oxidation of the vermouth. Maybe I'll give that a go.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I picked up some white rhum agricole from Martinique on a trip to France. What should I make with it?

Thinking keep it simple, home made lime peel syrup + lime juice + rhum + tiny bit of angostura, shake.

I could also add a splash of Smith and Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Thinking keep it simple, home made lime peel syrup + lime juice + rhum + tiny bit of angostura, shake.

splash of Smith and Cross.

This was excellent. It didn't look like a classic daiquiri because of the brown sugar in the syrup but tasted delicious.