Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My go-to easy drink with grenadine is a Ward Eight. Just get some simple syrup and lemon juice and add a little more grenadine than the below recipe calls for.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/ward-eight-cocktail-recipe-760755

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Kenning posted:

I made a punch for my girlfriend's workplace party thing on Wednesday and it was exceedingly well-received. It's an original that was designed to evoke the harvest and the sometimes gloomy chill of autumn (even though I live in the Bay Area and it's been 70 degrees all week). I call it

Lost Souls Punch

2 750 ml bottles Calvados
1 750 ml bottle Belgian-style quad (use something brewed with plums or the like – I used Judgment Day Ale by the Lost Abbey, which uses raisins)
1 lb. turbinado sugar
16 oz lemon juice
Optional: the peels of 2 or 3 citrons
1 oz. absinthe (I used Mansinthe by Marilyn Manson, which is 66.6% abv.)
2 qt. water

Muddle the citron peels (or just use lemon peels it will be fine) with the sugar and let sit as long as possible. Bring 2 cups of the water to boil and then use to dissolve the sugar. Strain out the peels and allow to cool, then add the lemon juice, Calvados, and Belgian quad. Pour into a 7 quart bowl over a large block of ice and add the remaining water to taste. Allow to chill before service if possible.

If you want to do it up, a bit of dry ice chucked into the bowl makes it fog over and sizzle mysteriously.

Made this as my first punch for a game night. Went over really well. Thanks!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I have a bunch of peach brandy leftover from making a punch. It's pretty terrible on its own. Any decent cocktails I can make with it?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

drat those are both good suggestions

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I use Santa Cruz organic lime and lemon juice for drinks at home. It holds very well, and while it might not have the same freshness and flavor of fresh squeezed juice, the convenience of it outstrips the quality loss for me.
Same. I really only fresh squeeze juice if I'm entertaining (which obviously isn't happening much these days), if I'm treating myself, or if I've basically peeled the whole thing and it's either that or throw it away.

I made some lime cordial tonight with this recipe, and I'm pretty sure I'm only drinking Gimlets the rest of the summer. Holy moly this is good stuff.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Licking the spoon or whatever you use to get the cherries out is a very important part of the garnishing process.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

wormil posted:

So what is keeping the brand alive? Who is drinking it?
Based on the commercials, I'm pretty sure their wine coolers can carry the brand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Is3P0YlDHs

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I bought some Ancho Reyes chile liquer on a whim. Any recommended drinks that aren't tequila or mezcal based?

edit: It's not a bad addition to a Manhattan

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 17, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

I made uh, an Amaretto sour last night with the following measurements

1.5 oz Amaretto
1.0 oz Bulleit bourbon
1.0 oz lemon juice
Barspoon Simple syrup
~1 oz egg white
dash of salt

Double strained over a chunk of ice

It was fine but nearly too sweet and surprisingly dry. I've never ordered one at a bar so I don't really have an idea of the expected balance. After drinking half I added another half oz of bourbon and liked it a bit better. If I added the additional alcohol up front would it still emulsify? I vaguely remember reading that if the alcohol percentage is too high before the shake, the egg white will curdle.

I use the same ingredients except .75 Four Roses and about half a teaspoon of simple. I may try more bourbon next time I make one. That sounds good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I just finished a jar of luxardo cherries. What should I do with all that good syrup left over?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Thanks to our office secret Santa, this year has been the second time I've gotten the "Tequila Mockingbird" book as a Christmas gift. Cool that people know I like to drink and read, but the recipes in there don't look all that great.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can't wait to have a reason to make a big batch of punch again. That looks great.

I got some pomegranate molasses syrup for a dinner recipe I'm trying out tonight. Any good drinks I could put it in? Or is it basically the same as grenadine?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Bandit posted:

It's a key ingredient for making your own grenadine. I've never seen it used solo

Ben Nevis posted:

It's also thick af. Probably won't incorporate too well without something being done.

Thanks. I guess I'll make some cocktails with grenadine tonight to keep the theme.

LionYeti posted:

If I am very lazy and don't want to make my own grenadine, whats the best semi easily found storebought stuff?

I'm not an expert and also lazy. But I've been buying this.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I love a good Clover Club, but it also doesn't use much.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

My favorite drink as of late has been Heartbreaker Coffeehouse.

1.5oz tequila blanco
.75oz coffee liquer
2 dash orange bitters

Stir over ice, lemon peel garnish
I haven't had one of these in months, but coffee liqueur is 100% my favorite thing at the moment. I'm drinking a coffee old fashioned right now with a little hazelnut liqueur to sweeten it, and it's an amazing desert drink. I'm thinking I'm due for a Heartbreaker Coffeehouse later this week.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Blood and Sand was one of the first cocktails I made when I started stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new drinks. I thought I had completely screwed up the recipe. But nope, it's just a real bad drink.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I got a new phone and, it wiped out my Mixel bar and saved recipes. Do I just need to bite the bullet and add them all again? At least it remembered I've paid for it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

You need to log into your account through the app. It should all be there on their server.

Thanks! I had to get out my old phone and actually make an account.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Since this damned hit rear end summer started I’ve been in an endless cycle of Mai tai -> jungle bird -> Paloma -> repeat.

Every night I say, ‘wow, this _____ that I’m drinking right now is the ultimate summer cocktail’, and then I change my mind the next day.

There is a company that makes fresh drink mixes around here, link here:

https://summerlakesbeverage.com/

And they are really drat good. Especially for something like paloma’s, my wife is already pissed at all the syrups and crap I have that take over half the fridge, if I needed fresh grapefruits to make my palomas it would push her over the edge. I know that’s probably sacrilege in these parts, but I’ve really enjoyed their Paloma mix.

I brought ingredients for jungle birds on a trip with some friends last week. A pretty big hit and about guaranteed we felt rough every morning. How to Drink had a Halekulani on the latest episode, I think I've had something similar at a tiki bar here in town. I'm going to grab some oranges this afternoon and try it tonight. It would be nice to be able to make a good whiskey tiki drink during the summer.

Halekulani Cocktail:
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Lime Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Orange Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Pineapple Juice
.25 oz -or- 8 ml. Demerara Simple Syrup
1.5 oz -or- 45 ml. Barrel-proof Bourbon (I used Noah's Mill - Bookers also good)
1 - 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Crack ice into the shaker, shake and strain
Garnish with Pineapple fronds

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That''s really weird. I went to a similar kind of place in Nashville a few weeks ago, and the bar staff went above and beyond when they found out that we were eating upstairs after our drinks.

Professor Wayne posted:

I brought ingredients for jungle birds on a trip with some friends last week. A pretty big hit and about guaranteed we felt rough every morning. How to Drink had a Halekulani on the latest episode, I think I've had something similar at a tiki bar here in town. I'm going to grab some oranges this afternoon and try it tonight. It would be nice to be able to make a good whiskey tiki drink during the summer.

Halekulani Cocktail:
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Lime Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Orange Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Pineapple Juice
.25 oz -or- 8 ml. Demerara Simple Syrup
1.5 oz -or- 45 ml. Barrel-proof Bourbon (I used Noah's Mill - Bookers also good)
1 - 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Crack ice into the shaker, shake and strain
Garnish with Pineapple fronds

Trip report: I guess I just flat out don't like cocktails with OJ in them.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'll have a Far Left Hand

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

One of the latest How to Drink episodes goes over kind of what you're looking for, including the Mr. Bali Hali. I think a Margarita Negra could also be batched as a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzlsE9Y6NU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Also, I need some ideas for non-boulevardier uses for Cynar 70.
A friend of mine loves it in black manhattans.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Pander posted:

Bitter Housewife's Westward Hazelnut Bitters are ridiculously good. My wife's all time fav cocktail is Rittenhouse rye, aperol, maraschino, and the hazelnut bitters.
I like all those things and just ordered those bitters. What ratios do you use?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Pander posted:

1.5 oz Rittenhouse
1 oz aperol
3/4 maraschino
3 dashes hazelnut bitters (it's not easy to dash this bottle, so use maybe 2 full barspoons? Or just to taste. I've found you really can't overdo these bitters though.)

Stir, strain, garnish with orange twist.

Should be light, sweet, herbal, and nutty.

Thank you!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Polish Pirate posted:

Have you tried Paranubes? It's a Oaxacan rum that is pretty drat funky. I personally think it's quite delicious too.

I just bought a bottle of this. I needed to put some more interesting rums on my bar. Excited to try it out tonight!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Professor Wayne, let us know what you think of it!

The Paranubes is good! I need to try it in a daiquiri since I got fresh limes today. But I gave it a sip last night and tried it in a creole sazerac. It reminds me a lot of cachaça

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think it’s the name of the attack on titan guy

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

There was a place around me that did Negroni slushies, and I only went once before it closed. I'm still sad about it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I usually have a few amaros at home, even though I haven't found many cocktails I love them in. This isn't a huge problem, because I love drinking them neat or in a paper plane. The store I usually go to has one called Forthave Marseille that is super good to sip on.

LionYeti posted:

Amaro Montenegro is absurdly tasty, you can do and M&M that and Mezcal About 1.25 oz of each stirred and put in a rocks glass.
I'm trying this now, and it's really good!

Anyone have any good recommendations YouTube channels for cocktails? I subscribe to How to Drink, Anders Erickson, and Educated Barfly. They're all pretty fun to watch and learn new interesting drinks to make, but How to Drink has been leaning pretty hard on whacky videos where you watch the host make faces at Outback Steakhouse cocktails or whatever.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Mojito Supreme's got me curious, ngl

Is there a joke in having Monster Mash twice?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ancho Reyes is my favorite thing to slip into a Manhattan

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I would add .25 Louisa's in there too. But maybe that's a regional liqueur.

I just found out about this. I can't wait to make some orange peels without fear of slicing a finger open: https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/my-new-favorite-citrus-peeler/

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

yep. i've never sliced open a finger with a normal peeler and made a permanent scar . definitely a knife

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This thread has inspired me to make something besides Manhattans each night.

Made a drink called the “billionaire” which was OK but to lemony for me and I also couldn’t find Absinthe bitters.

Hoping to get a good cocktail recipe book and just start working my way though to see what other drinks I like.

There are some good books out there, but I would also recommend getting the Mixel app if you already have some bottles at home. You can enter everything you have on your shelf, and it will give you some cocktails you can make (or almost make if you're missing ingredients). You can also use it while shopping to see if random liqueurs or bitters mix well with what you have at home. It's literally the only app I've ever paid for, and it was completely worth it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Try a boulevardier! I don’t love Negronis, but a boulevardier is one of my favorites

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I had an empty wall in my new living room when I moved. I always wanted a bar, and an interior decorator friend said I needed a big mirror. So I kind of DIY'ed a console table into bar shelves (top shelves off etsy, drilled hooks for copper mugs, added a rack for hanging glasses), hung a mirror behind it, and filled it up over time with bottles. There's an outlet there, so I thought about adding dumb lights or something. Luckily I was talked out of it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I see your doubles of Benedictine

I have a good half an ounce left in one bottle, and I'm not just going to throw it out like some animal

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I always used growlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I bought a pint of Jeni's Boozy Eggnog ice cream, and I'm going to pour whiskey on it