Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm not very good at predicting results so I wanted to check here. I'd like to make this cocktail but with bourbon instead of gin and wanted to get some opinions/suggestions. Thanks in advance!

The astringency of gin would complement the flavors in there more than sweet bourbon. Maybe try rye instead of bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made an old fashioned with 100 proof knob creek and galliano last night and it was surprisingly really good. 6 dashes of bitters, orange and ango, no sugar (gall is sweet enough). Floral and smooth, slight anise bite.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

poop dood posted:

An Improved Whiskey Cocktail also includes absinthe.

Yeah, no absinthe or sugar, but I suppose it is really close

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biomute posted:

I thought the point was to avoid chilling the drink before the shake to better emulsify the eggs.

It's more about controlling dilution due to melting ice

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah I’m not reading 194 pages. What’s your point?

Probably the part he pulled out and put in a quote

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biomute posted:

halved, maybe hulled and re-stuffed

But enough about your mom

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This confused the living poo poo out of me

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Hebug posted:

I've been using Mixel for a little while now, it's seems pretty full featured if you can tolerate the pixel art. I also got all of the in-app purchases as a gift, so I'm not sure of its value if you're paying for them individually. They seem to take most of their recipes from well-regarded sources, you can input custom recipes, track ones you've tried/want to try/favorite, manage inventory, search by ingredient, find a random drink with what you have on hand, have it recommend what to buy next, etc. Probably forgetting some things, but those are what I primarily use it for.

I picked this up and bought the full pack and it is unreal. One big thing it does that is probably my favorite feature is it will suggest substitutions based on what you have (you don't have allspice dram, but your Pimm's might work!).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

What can you do with these cocktail wise? Are they the same as Sevilles, meaning same as the "orange punch" from the punch list? Skin good for oleo? Just juice?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post410756616

I believe those are just another name for Seville, yes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Knob Creek 100 proof

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Under $100 is an incredibly wide net mate, at that point you're looking at like 95% of all bourbon

Yeah, even something like Elijah Craig 12 year is only around $75.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The 12yr hasn't been made in years, it moved to a NAS bottling so there's now small batch and then barrel proof. Also, I buy it wholesale here in SF for $22.75 a bottle so if you're paying $70 that's pretty wild.

I'm not buying it, I was just going off what I could find online.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Thinking about working with my bar manager to do a clarified milk punch for the restaurant. Any of you guys have any insight into making it in large batches? (I mean LARGE batches; we do like $12mil a year in sales)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

They're excellent for large batches. Sitting overnight is best because you can rack much of the solids off that way.

Invest in some super bags:

https://www.modernistpantry.com/superbags.html

You don't have to get them from MP, they can be found through other suppliers but they are worth every penny.

Ok, so we would place those bags in a container and pour the mix through the bag, so we can just lift the bag up later?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Dunno if I'm just flawed but I think I like my 11 y/o unrefrigerated dry vermouth as much as my brand new bottle, which I planned on coddling. The former was Boissiere Extra Dry and the latter is Dolin de Chambery.

Today I just did ~1.5 oz of each on ice for as pure a sample as I could do, but maybe I'll have an opinion tomorrow when I do two martinis :shrug:

Nah I'm the same. I have no problem with my unrefrigerated vermouth

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can make or get smoked bitters, and flaming an orange peel adds a smoky punch to anything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We do a Brown butter washed old fashion at my restaurant. It's pretty good

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Anybody do saline solution or a pinch of salt in their drinks? I need to do a side-by-side, but it seems like a reasonable theory.

I started doing this recently. Tried side by side and it is a noticeable improvement. I keep a dropper of saline on hand now and add a drop to every drink.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know of any app that replicates physical flash cards, so if you really want something like that I'd say to buy flash cards. If you want a recipe database, check out Mixel. It's a pixel art-based app that lets you fill a virtual kitchen with the ingredients you own and gives recipes based on what you have, in addition to potential substitutes for some ingredients. If you buy the add-on packs (which is just like $12 for lifetime access), there's hundreds of recipes.

When I'm in the mood to make something, I just pop the app open and see what's available. I think I've got around 70 or so drinks I can make with my current home bar.

Seconding this. I have a solid 470 recipes I can make with what I have on hand.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

So I may be able to interview Dale DeGroff. Anything special I should ask? Maybe if there are stairs in his bar?

Ask him that, and then just stare at him until he leaves

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Knob Creek cask strength is really tasty and not too pricey, should be easy to find as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yuns posted:

I had a really nice variant on an old fashioned this week. It was called an Moda Italiana, an Italian Fashioned. They listed it as old fashioned with fig and herb infused rittenhouse rye and crown royal, zucca rabarbaro, cappelletti amaro alta verde. It used a fig and a cinnamon stick as the garnishes. I wish I could deconstruct it. I would ask the restaurant but I'm probably not in their good graces as I complained about the terrible service we got later in the night. Great food and drink but zero service later in the dinner.

You got bad service at an Italian restaurant? :aaaaa:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Been playing with the Ramos Gin Fizz, trying to execute it in as little time as possible. I've managed to create a thick foam within 2 minutes, gonna keep trying.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Whalley posted:

That's an insane foam for two minutes, holy poo poo. I don't make Ramos Gin Fizzes very often, but even dry shaking for like five minutes I don't get nearly that much fluff

I shook all ingredients except the cream for a minute with 2 1 inch cubes, then removed the ice, added the cream and the spring from a Hawthorne shaker in and shook for another minute. Let the drink settle in the glass for a minute or so, then I ran seltzer down a bar spoon into the glass to raise the foam. I think I can get a more stable, stiff foam with more shaking, going to try today.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 21, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I mean, I've stolen rum, if that's what you mean.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
RC Cola :dudsmile:

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 7, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Used to do RC, Crown, and King's ginger. Called it "Three Kings" lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

I made orgeat from a 1:1:1 base of pumpkin seed, almond, cashew. Honestly straining it was terrible, I used an old undershirt. Didn't someone on here say that nut milk bags are the best strainers out there for various projects?

Yeah, they are.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How about you just buy a drat lemon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Finally got my bar setup finished, real happy with it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ralith posted:

This stuff is awesome for candymaking, especially when combined with a little citric acid. I'll be interested to know if you find a good way to use it in drinks. Hey, anyone ever used pure citric acid in a drink?

No, but I've had drinks that use acid adjusted orange juice, where they add citric acid to oj to make it more sour.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prayer group posted:

Refrigerate your vermouths and sherries.

I do, I just pulled everything out for the pic

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

I have a bunch of peach brandy leftover from making a punch. It's pretty terrible on its own. Any decent cocktails I can make with it?

Sex on the Beach, dawg

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Imagine defending this guy lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The price is fine. Making SURE the article says the bourbon is expensive is annoying. You ask who cares if he is an rear end in a top hat? Me. I do. It's almost like different people can like different things, and by the same token can not like different things. How goons never seem to get this mystifies me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made their signature house cocktail just now. It's 2.5oz El Dorado 15 year (lol I used 5 year) and 3.25oz red grape juice.

It is Not Good. Granted, I'm using lower quality ingredients, but this is so aggressively bad I don't think it would matter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Take your own advice and be ok with someone liking it.

:psyduck:

Me saying I think the guy sucks and is stupid does nothing to take away your enjoyment of the place. You can like whatever you like, and I can make fun of whatever I like. The enjoyment of something isn't a zero sum game lol. It's the whole "free speech means you have to let me say whatever I want but aren't allowed to be mean to me about it" argument, and is stupid.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 12, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
E: prolonging a stupid slapfight for no reason

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ok my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The drink tastes like rubbing alcohol. The grape juice just accentuates the alcoholic bite of the rum, it's terrible.