Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

theunderwaterbear posted:

What do your serve the punch in? I imagine the only thing most people have that would be big enough for that volume would be some kind of bucket, maybe a soup pan... which obviously doesn't quite match the drink.

I think a punch bowl would be most appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Picked up a bottle of Old Grand Dad bonded bourbon today. drat, does it make a great mint julep (and isn't bad straight, either). What a great value.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up a bottle of this stuff "Farmer's Botanical" gin. "Small batch organic". I was walking around a liquor shop close to the lab I'm at for the next, and past week. Came recommended by the clerk. It's pretty great, 46.7% ABV and was $28bux/750ml. Just been drinking it neat, but it's pretty fine.

Yeah I like Farmer's quite a bit, it makes a pretty awesome G&T. Still doesn't hold a candle to Hendricks IMO, but it's pretty good.

The gin I want that I haven't been able to find is Knickerbocker Gin, which is made by New Holland brewery. My wife and I had it at a bar in DC but I haven't been able to find it anywhere (I'm in PA, but I've checked in NY, Maryland, and Virginia). It had a really strong cardamom note, which my wife loved.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

King Hotpants posted:

I'm mostly done building my bar - I've been following the 12 Bottle Bar list to start and expanding where it felt appropriate. However, I bought Plymouth gin, mixed up an Aviation, and remembered that I Don't Like Gin.

I want to like gin, though. What's a good way for me to ease into gin? As I said, I own a bottle of Plymouth, but if I really need to taste something else in order to "get it" I will seek it out.

Get a bottle of Hendricks, and if you don't like it you're a terrible person and should kill yourself :colbert:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

At the next tier up from there, I would get Beefeater; it's slightly cheaper than Tanqueray and I like it much better. I like it more than Bombay, actually. $20 a fifth. I've never bought a half-gallon, but I'd assume it's a little over $30.

Yeah, I was going to recommend Beefeater; I think it'll give you the most bang for your buck.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
It's hard to go wrong with sangria in the summer. Chop up fruit, add to wine, optionally add some hard liquor, let infuse overnight, done.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Just get one of these -- literally all you have to do is slice the lemon/lime in half and squeeze it in this thing.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
With the lime shortage starting to rear its ugly head, I'm starting to search for summer cocktails that use lemons instead of limes. So far I've tried a whiskey smash (most excellent) and a may daisy (cognac, lemon, and green chartreuse), which was also quite good. Are there any other good lemon-using cocktails I should be drinking?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Hebug posted:

How is it starting when in actuality it seems to finally be ending? Limes at my usual Asian market were 6/$1, back down from a high of 2/$1 when they even bothered to show up.

here they've gone from 25-50 cents each to 4/$5.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Horn posted:

Where are you? The reason for the rise in price has ended so prices should be on the downward trend

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/19/313020751/with-cartel-on-the-run-mexican-lime-farmers-keep-more-of-the-green

I'm in Pittsburgh, so I would imagine prices here would lag behind, say, CA. Good to know the shortage is over though! I hadn't caught the more recent news.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

pgroce posted:

It was over in PGH, too, but seems to be re-asserting itself. (Price-gouging? Dunno.) I was happily buying Cheap Limes a couple weeks ago, but now they're back up to .80-.90 per.

FWIW, they're consistently about a dime cheaper each at Whole Foods than Giant Eagle, of all places.

Trader Joes generally has the most reliably cheap citrus. Limes are usually .29 each, but the were .39 each when I was there today. :iiam:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Devoz posted:

Any suggestions for cocktails which would be appropriate for an outdoor wedding in summer? I am looking for something that is reasonably quick and easy to make.

One option I am leaning towards right now is a mojito made with mint infused simple syrup to save the bartender from having to muddle.

Drinks which can be made in pitchers would also be delightful.

Not technically a cocktail, but sangria?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've always wondered why they don't offer vermouth in tonic water-sized bottles. I'd probably be willing to pay double by volume if i didn't have to keep buying big bottles and pouring them down the drain after they go bad.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dolin vermouths are available in 375ml bottles and cost about 50% more by volume, so you're in luck!

still too big. also not available in PA.

e: basically what i want is this but with less lovely wine and more awesome vermouth:

quote:

Also I've found that the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake after you add the cherry and orange slice, but before you add the club soda.

:psyduck:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 6, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Are olives *really* that necessary? I hate olives with a passion. Can't stand eating them at all. I don't even like olive bread. But...I assume the olive is more for the very subtle taste that permeates the drink rather than the actual olive itself.

No, absolutely not. I'm in the same boat as you, but fortunately a lemon twist is just as legit a garnish.

Not sure how authentic this is, but i also like a dash of bitters in my martini (depending on the gin).

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
sup cocktail thread,

i'm on the hook for cocktails for a friend's birthday. it's going to be low key and a small number of people. however, i have to drive a couple of hours to get there, so i need to bring everything with me. i'd like to bring maybe 5-6 bottles (not including bitters or mixers) and be able to make as wide a variety of cocktails as possible. what would you choose if you were in this situation?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

A gin of some sort, definitely. Probably some triple sec as well. Tequila for margaritas since they're almost universally liked. Having trouble thinking of others that would yield a variety of possibilities.

yeah, gin is a must. i was thinking rye whiskey, which would let one do old fashioneds, manhattans, sazeracs, and whiskey sours.

I was trying to think if there's some specialty liqueur or something that i could add in that would yield a few additional options.

ideally i would like to bias the selection toward the, for lack of a better word, "classy" type of cocktail. like you would get at a speakeasy-style bar.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

Maraschino would fit the bill nicely. If you can get a hold of Creme de Violette, you can make classic aviations, which are fantastic.

good call! I actually have a bottle of creme de violette. thanks for the suggestions

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, after reading this thread, I have an insatiable lust for a negroni. However, I don't want to drop $20 on a bottle of campari if I am never going to drink it again. Thoughts? (Never had a negroni)

go to a bar?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Fee brothers is making a gin barrel aged orange bitter and it's pretty ducking good!

this is extremely relevant to my interests

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
there's something in campari that just overloads my bitter tastebuds for some reason. negronis taste like ear wax to me.

which is sad because i really really want to like it :(

Kenning posted:

It's so hard for me to guide people into liking Campari slowly because I loved the stuff the first time I had any. If you don't want your cocktails to taste like furniture polish I don't know what to tell you.

i feel this way about peaty scotch. once i tasted laphroaig i knew i had found my desert island liquor.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Kenning posted:

Brandy

If you want grape spirits you want Cognac (unless you want pisco [I like Portón]). Don't skimp on brandy.

Cheap: Use stuff that is French, but not Cognac, like Raynal or St. Remy. Don't go for E&J or Christian Brothers.
Solid: Any real Cognac VS or VSOP is great at this tier. They will mix like crazy. If you can swing it, Pierre Ferrand 1840 is unreal. It's fruity and nutty like Armagnac.
Splendid: When it's at this price, you shouldn't mix unless you're ballin'. Good luck!

have you had Marie Duffau Armagnac? we can get it in PA state stores for like 30 bux. seems to hit that price/taste sweet spot that is really hard to find with actual Cognac, where you'll be paying closer to $50-60 for similar quality (imo).

I'm not a brandy expert, though, so i'd love to hear other people's opinions.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

Is a gimlet an obscure drink? It is one of my go-to drinks, but I just had a bartender not know what it was.

What else can I order when I'm fat and I want gin but no tonic?

holy poo poo, if you don't know what a gimlet is you shouldn't be tending bar :psyduck:

that being said the gin has way more calories than the tonic. since gimlets are sweetened i would wager the gin and tonic is the better choice if you're counting calories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i wasn't claiming it was "the healthy drink", just that it was basically comparable to a gimlet in terms of sugar content, particularly if you use a nicer brand of tonic. 4 oz of fever tree has around 40 calories, even canada dry has only 45. in a gimlet you're going to get, what, half an ounce of simple syrup? that's like 40 calories right there.

obviously with a soda gun all bets are off, but if you're ordering at a place that uses a soda gun for tonic you're probably going to get a lot more sugar in your gimlet as well (if they've heard of the drink, that is).