Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've created what I'm pretty sure is the perfect cocktail, the December '69:

‎1 oz rye (Old Overholt)
1 oz cognac (Maison Surrenne)
1/2 oz Carpano
1/2 oz fernet
2 dashes bitters
Citrus garnish, stir and serve up

Feel free to thank me later. :cheers:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

1 oz rye (Bulleit)
1 oz cognac (Martell)
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz fernet
2 dashes bitters

I had two different bartenders make this last night, and both of them tasted MUCH better about halfway through. I'm convinced it's because they were too cold initially and the ingredients didn't blend together enough and there wasn't the warm taste you expect from this particular mix. In other words, the drink has to rest for a moment, as if it were a god damned steak. Is that a reasonable theory or am I just being stupid?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

‎1 oz rye (Bulleit)
1 oz cognac (Martell)
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz fernet
2 dashes bitters

Turns out I was wrong on both the the AND cognac. Old Overholt and Maison Surrenne is what was used.

If you make it as incorrectly specified above, it's almost undrinkable.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 24, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was at the bar of an upscale restaurant last weekend and the gentleman next to me ordered a Manhattan. I think the Toronto is more interesting and it's certainly something most people have never had, so I asked him if he liked Fernet.

He said he loved it, even referring to it as an Italian amaro, but he insisted on pronouncing it fer-NEIGH. As in, I gently tried to correct him and he "corrected" back at me.

He had a "friend" show up later, an attractive woman who was too tall for him, and all I could think was what a loving poser he was. I'm still irrationally upset at the whole situation.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 14, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tried to order a Bramble but they didn't have blackberry liqueur, only strawberry.

It was still really good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF I was in DC in September and nobody told me to go! :mad:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We're spending NYE weekend in Toronto. Any recommendations for cocktail bars? My local bartender already recommended BarChef.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BarChef in Toronto was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKDDjEkQ_M

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What if you work at a fancy cocktail bar?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Black Manhattans are real good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People are basic bitches.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m in NYC through Monday, staying on the Upper East Side. Any must-visit spots?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m in NYC through Monday, staying on the Upper East Side. Any must-visit spots?
I ended up visiting Dead Rabbit and Employees Only which both have won best cocktail bar in the world, plus Aviary, Attaboy, Bar Goto, Dante, Seamstress and a few others.

Employees Only had a really fun crowd and Seamstress has a perfect neighborhood spot vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looking for feedback on a couple cocktails I messed around with:

White Rhino
2 oz rye
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz Italicus
Up with lemon twist

Maniac
2 oz rye