Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I went to New Orleans last year and fell in love with Sazeracs, and I've been making my own at home. I've been using Bulleit Rye, which has served me well, but I hear a lot of people online talking about doing an older Cognac version or a half-and-half rye/cognac version, but they all mandate VSOP Cognac. I've never had Cognac in my life and can't really find VSOP anywhere, I just find VS - would that be a reasonable substitute or is it going to be completely different? Is VSOP a "perfect world" version, but VS will be fine?

Imo 100% cognac Sazeracs are the absolute poo poo and as much as I love rye I don't rate Rye Sazeracs at all. You should probably be using a VSOP for most cocktails if you can, especially the drier style of drinks, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Hine, that's probably your best bet. I'd try the VS anyway to get an idea, but ideally you shouldn't do that until you get a bottle of VSOP to compare the end result with, otherwise you'll probably just hate Cognac Sazeracs forever since it won't have nearly as much going for it as it might with an older base. Its such a prominently cognac drink that relies on the host spirit for a lot of its personality

Also I ordered a bottle of Wray and Nephew OP rum and I'm gonna make a weed tincture and then put it inside of a watermelon. I'm pretty excited. If anyone has any tips on using an OP rum rather than spiritus for making a tincture I'd be all ears.

Kenning posted:

Untrue! There are just no other corpse revivers worth making. The #1, for example, is just brandy, applejack, and Italian vermouth. Probably fine, as these things go, but nothing to write home about

These words are all a complete sentence that on the surface appear to have a functioning syntax and meaningful semantics but they make no sense! I get worked up even THINKING about Applejack cocktails, but maybe its because I'm not an American and its really hard to get here.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Falernum isn't a bad idea, but I can do that with any white rum, really. I'm interested in making the weed tincture because its a high proof alcohol that I can still drink without having to dilute it too much I guess. I really like the taste of it neat, has a really similar vibe to a well made blanco tequila, imo.

Wrt to the Corpse Reviver Number 1, I do agree that it's not a super complex or immaculately well balanced cocktail, but it was the first thing I ever drank applejack in and its just a good tasty drink I hold in incredibly high regard, possibly for sentimental reasons.

Also in response to the above question about simple syrup, I've never had to do anything to preserve sugar syrup. It should do that just fine on its own. The main issue with syrups is that if there's a large amount of organic material in the syrup (I'm thinking of pineapple syrup as the biggest culprit), it will go off quite easily without a decent proof alcohol to fortify it with. I was always told that it had to be an overproof spirit, but here an overproof spirit is pretty much defined as anything higher than 80 proof so I don't know for sure to be honest.

Also, we strained all the milk fat out of a rum shrub tonight at work and it was like delicious fatty rum sherbet and I feel so loving gross but I don't regret eating a spoonful of it at all.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I ran out of all my hard liquor and I'm broke so I'm drinking Benedictine sours aw yeah put some cinnamon syrup in that poo poo. Not too much though cause putting syrup in liqueur sours is pretty gross most of the time. My cinnamon syrup is always super strong though because I just leave it in there after I make it and it keeps going.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 29, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MullardEL34 posted:

Inspired by some previous posts in this thread, I just made an old fashioned with Brugal Anejo Rum. Why haven't I tried this before? Its delicious.

Peach bitters is probably my favourite thing to add to a rum old fashioned imo.

Also I made a new batch of spiced rum last night but its coming into winter and I wanted to try something a little different, so I switched up the recipe and added some chocolate and replaced lime zest with orange zest, and cut back on the anise a little bit. The end result will hopefully be ideal for spiced rum alexanders but I think I went a little too heavy on the chocolate. A day later and its all dissolved and its a bit more viscous than it was yesterday. No issues with fat seperating, which was my main concern with infusing chocolate, but I think I might might a second batch sans chocolate, and mix the two together to balance it out. Here's the recipe if anyone cares

-700 mls Appleton 8 (I was going to use the VX but it was 2 bucks more expensive, so I figured I'd give it a shot, I get more chocolate and coffee notes off the 8 yo anyway)
-Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cloves
- 4 coffee beans
- 3 pimento allspide
- a small handful of 70.9% chocolate smashed up
- 1 star anise
- 50 mls treacle
- 5 bar spoons raw sugar
- 2 sticks of cinnamon

I think that was everything, testing it out an an Alexander right now, the other stuff probably hasn't infused properly yet but I want to get an idea of how up in my face the chocolate is gonna be.

surprisingly, the orange is probably the most overbearing flavour in there at the moment and I'm probably gonna have to pull that out before anything else, maybe the anise as well while I'm at it and let it sit for another couple of days with the coffee beans and cinnamon. No need to marry up two batches, I think the amount of chocolate was perfect flavourwise, its just changed how the liquid acts really dramatically and that's freaking me out a little bit but it's cool I'm cool.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 3, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I would feel a little weird using a single barrel in cocktails but that said 4 roses is dope as heck and pretty well priced so I wouldn't turn up my nose on anything anyone made me on it.

I guess they probably have a non single barrel as well but it's all i've seen here so I guess what I'm saying is I need to buy more american whiskey

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Angostura's orange bitters is really overpowering and it's way too easy too put way too much into a drink by accident, regans is a bit more balanced, so if its easily available i'd choose it in a heartbeat. I haven't used the fee brothers myself, but my boss wants to do a 50/50 of it and regans as the house orange bitters so its probably fine as well.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Whisker Biscuit posted:

So, the holidays approach and last year's fabulous eggnog (egg nog?) thread has been consigned to the archives. I remember several people posted some amazing looking and shelf stable turbo-nog recipes. I want to replicate one or several of those for party season, but my google Fu seems to be weak. Can any of you wizards help?

I'm steeping 1/2 a bottle of rum with some cocoa beams, gonna give it a week, add 1/2 a bottle of maderia sherry, and a bottle of vs cognac, and just gonna go from there and add some chocolate mole bitters to the basic English nog recipe from there for my own personal nog

The problem with kept nogs is everything to do with the eggs and dairy, so if you make a bottle of whatever blend of spirits you wanna use and then make individual nogs as you go, that's probably the best solution IMO

Public service announcement, please dry shake all individual nogs you choose to make this season before you ice them, thank you in advance on behalf of every person that you force to nog out on yr behalf

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can't speak for American markets specifically, but it terms of rinsing absinthes I can't really go past pernod's absinthe in terms of bang for buck

Tambourine mountain distillery make a really baller absinthe but its way too overpowering to adequately use in small doses, so I use it for anything that requires more than a couple of drops

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 30, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
See my personal opinion is using a really swaggered flavoursome absinthe for rinsing will gently caress with the balance of the drink, regardless of quality, but anise flavours are a thing I can easily get too much of so ymmv and so on, if you have an atomiser or a way to really regulate how much you use it its probably not an issue for people who really like absinthe in particular

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of grenadine, I really loving love our grenadine recipe so if I can show it off anywhere, it might as well go here.

2 litres of pomegranate juice
1 kilo sugar
2 cinnamon quills
1 star anise
3 cloves
50 ml pomegranate mollasses

Method: reduce pomegranate juice by half, add spices/sugar, reduce again to 1.4 litres, add mollasses, bottle.

Also I made a trinidad sour tonight and it was really great, but the recipe I read had waaaaaaaay too much volume and I want to recalculate the specs so that its a drink with less than 5 ounces after dilution because there's no loving way I could drink an entire ounce of angostura bitters under any circumstances

The recipe I used was:

30 angostura bitters
30 orgeat
22.5 lemon juice
15 rye whiskey

Such a balling, hearty drink but it really felt like a pre dinner drink and putting something like that up in a cocktail glass instead of a coupette felt so weird

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 19, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm viciously appalled by yr description of an old fashioned you've been served in some lovely bar but let's not fly off the handle and bad mouth the fine upstanding category of the fizz, huh?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Smokewagon posted:

My apologies, I forgot about the fizz:blush:. However, I swear to god every other person behind the rail thinks it appropriate to "top off" every drat thing with soda, and it's blowing my mind.

My most shameful moment as a bartender involves a soda top up, I was at rum club, a small casual session where each month or so a brand rep comes in and talks about their rum and holds a fairly laid back cocktail comp on their product.

I'd spent the entire day at a wine tasting, and not being a wine guy, was completely out of my depth, and for no particularly good reason, I felt weird about spitting in front of all these people, so I found the Armagnac table and stayed there for long enough that people mistook me for the rep.

So anyway after about 2 hours sitting in a corner getting pissed as a fart on the finest brandy, I roll into rum club, and despite not being a hugely experienced or confident bartender, I've got enough liquid courage to enter this session's comp because hey, how could I gently caress up a piña colada?

Well, with 10 seconds to go I strain out my drink and its short, woefully short, it looks like an absolute mess and I silently curse myself for not measuring the volume of the glass before the comp. I add some ice and that does gently caress all, so I decide to bite the bullet and lengthen it out, the balance of the drink be damned, but I'm in an unfamiliar bar, wretchedly drunk, and can't find any of the ingredients I've been using. All I can see are the splits on top of the bar and I make some primal animal decision that the drinks appearance is more important than the taste and I topped that loving piña colada with soda water, in front of about 25 of the cities finest bartenders.

It took about a month for smart arses to stop asking me for 'a piña colada, hold the soda'

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 19, 2013

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I did that thing where I made a painfully simple drink, and now I don't know what I want to call it because I gotta assume someone's at least done something similar before and I'm the kind of dumb nerd that thinks consistent drink taxonomies are important. It's kinda like a tequila riff on an Old Maid, but not really, so if anyone has any better suggestions for names, hit me up because i've literally called it "tequila punch" when pressed by a customer because I'm really bad at coming up with names, and if it already has a name I'd probably like to know it so I'm not just biting some other dudes poo poo.

60 tequila
45-50 cloudy apple juice
15-20 ginger syrup (I use a macerated ginger syrup to keep the spiciness instead of a cooked one, ginger juice/sugar also works)
muddled cucumber (a decent amount, probably the most you could fit into a boston without it becoming a huge pain, like 3 cms from the bottom?)
dash of angostura

shake and strain into fairly large collins glass over ice

I'm sorry about all the metric poo poo but I just can't bear to use ozs cause I'm really indecisive with what measurements I like for a drink and metric lets me have that little bit of wiggle room when describing drinks to peple

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 12, 2013

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I say it every time someone mentions wray & nephew but atomic daiquiris are the fuckin poo poo on W&N, the grassy notes complement the green chartreuse perfectly and I probably wouldn't touch this drink with a 10 foot pole on any other rum

In roughly equal parts (balance to taste, I like a little less rum, say 5 mls)

Wray and nephew
Lime juice
Green chartreuse

If this isn't sweet enough you can always dump some falernum in there but I like the recipe as is

Also it feels appropriate to use a Jamaican OP rum to make a weed tincture so do that if yr tastes are so inclined

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2013

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tynam posted:

Has anyone tried substituting vanilla ice cream for recipes that require cream? After reading up that the Golden Dream (galliano, cointreau, OJ, cream) can be substituted with ice cream, it got me thinking if a lot of the other drinks like Grasshoppers, Alexanders, Golden Cadillacs etc can work the same way. Also, how exactly would this work? I'm thinking of just floating a scoop of ice cream in the drink ala rootbeer floats, or is it better to mix it more thoroughly with a blender?

I can't imagine it mixing through very well in most shaken drinks, obviously, but I like to do my white russians up, and float the cream on them, and I could imagine vanilla icecream would be an interesting tweak on that, although you're probably gonna need to take the extra sweetness into account when mixing. Also, it wasn't your question, but I can confirm that using vanilla ice cream in a hot buttered rum mix is loving incredible and absolutely worthwhile. Blended drinks it'd probably work as well, I use a little bit of cream in my pina coladas for body and if I actually had a blender at work, I'd probably start throwing a bit of icecream in instead.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 4, 2014

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes utilizing rhubarb syrup? I made some with left overs from pie the other day but it's not been as good as i thought (does taste delicious on it's own). Made some fairly simple gin/lemon cocktails but they are rather one dimensional.

I've found it responds to most of the same flavours apple does so whiskey, rum, lemon, sloe gin, abricot brandy and pineapple all work. I like to keep rhubarb syrup around at work just because it goes with a LOT of tiki and helps makes drinks pinker, (I accept I am a hack)

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 4, 2014

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I agree about the Fee Brothers Orange bitters, I've never really noticed it in anything else I've tried from them but for some reason their orange bitters has a really obnoxious presence in anything I use it in. Angostura is my go-to although I've heard people level similar complaints against their orange bitters as well but I find it leagues ahead

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was gonna say throwing the spring in for the dry shake does it for me, about a minute of that and then a quick normal shake on ice and they come out really nice

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
as a general rule cointreau works better with clear spirits, grand marnier works better with dark spirits. Its not a 100% hard and fast rule but for example subbing Marnier into a margarita when you use Reposado is baller as hell

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 15, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty good rule of thumb for frozen cocktails is add the amount of ice you need to fill the glass and then a little bit more but its also gonna depend on the size/shape of your ice, if it's big chunky cubes you'll definitely need to add a bit more than will fill the glass, but if its relatively flat, you probably can just fill the glass with ice and dump it in the blender and just go to town.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
basic recipe I go to is usually

60 ml vodka
10-15 ml lemon
5-10 ml Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon abalone paste (i don't know what you'd sub for this if you didn't have it but something salty and fishy I guess)
a couple of dashes of hot sauce
60-90 ml tomato juice (adjust to level of hangover)
couple pinches of salt and pepper

add ice, roll or throw or stir, whatever, just made sure you do a good job of it

that's kind of just a base recipe though, you can tweak it with all kinds of stuff if you're vaguely comfortable with improvising in the kitchen, think of it like a soup. I'm not sure how yours are managing to come up bitter though, that seems weird to me.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I learned everything I know about over pouring with a jigger from that guy

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Car '97 posted:

Aviation Variation
It's just an Aviation with St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram subbed in for the Creme de Violette. Really nice fall twist of an Aviation. Garnish with a dash of ground cinnamon on top (or if you can afford, a cinnamon stick) The color leaves something to be desired IMO, but the taste is very nice.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for drinks that taste amazing but look terrible, I've been playing around with chilli tequila and did an amazing thing with cucumber and fresh pressed apples that I could never get looking good enough to be an actual list drink and I finally got to use it when I realised I hadn't made a drink for Halloween because it basically looked like swamp water

My only regret is this was in a club and I wanted to do something with dry ice to really give it some atmosphere but gently caress doing that on a Saturday night at 1 am*

*this is a principle I feel has influenced a lot of my drink making technique

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Easy quick way to substitute normal vodka for citrus vodka is just to muddle a lemon peel lightly in the mixing glass IMO

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Maestro posted:

Basically dry shaking first is a pain in the rear end and I'm glad this thread + other bartenders have turned me on to wet/dry.

I have yet to work in a place well designed to have dump sinks available at every station so it's actually a bigger pain in the arse to do it wet/dry because you have to dump the ice in the bin where it melts and soaks the floor so I'm yet to really catch on to this trend, what's the biggest advantage over dry/ wet shaking?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So far every place I've worked at you leave used bostons at the well and a barback comes along and grabs em all and cleans them (or if it's a weeknight you just have time to run over to the sink and do em yourself you lazy prick). It's frustrating and having somewhere to dump and clean them as you go would be ideal obviously but so far I've had precisely zero luck convincing an owner to drop cash to to put new plumbing into the middle of the bar

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also bucket on the ground is a respectable solution but I guess what I'm saying here is what's the advantage of the wet/dry shake over the dry/wet that I'm putting a bucket on the ground for some idiot to knock over at 2 am to facilitate it?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you seriously NOT wash tins after every drink? Especially ones with egg white? I thought that was standard. Also I work in a 10 well island bar with a 30 drink list so to answer your question : a dickload

E: are you referring to putting them through a washer? Yeah I don't do that for time concerns and also hot bostons are bullshit and actually dangerous but you rinse them out in the sink

Anyway I don't need advice on how to fit more poo poo into my horribly cramped bar that was designed by an idiot coke head who has bartender for maybe 10 hours of his life, I'm just curious if here's an actual reason why one shake is better than the other or if it's preference

The thing about the seal makes perfect sense tbh but tin on tin is a perfectly good solution to that as well

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 25, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nah gently caress barbacks who put bostons through washers during service that is my absolute number 1 per peeve

I'm really interested in the science behind it and it's cool if you can seriously get a half hour foam retention going on a drink but I doubt it's ever going to be a big enough difference to be practical for me to do at work in my shitfight pump bar

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also I'm curious, I don't recognise the fittings underneath those cool little glass rinsers, what does it hook upto if it doesn't have a dedicated water line?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That micromatic one screws onto any faucet, or you can get it spliced to run off your soda gun system.

Ok that's actually a really cool design feature, since if I had a faucet I'd probably already have a sink anyway but that's very fab

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also curious as to if you're referring to a process of making simple syrup without heating it? If so please dish cause I'm trying to find a better way to make simple than on a stove or in a glass washer

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Car '97 posted:

You do realize that most liquor made in west africa is flavored+colored gain alcohol right?

when you describe it like that it sounds WAY better than I was imagining tbh

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you drink cider and you aren't drinking it with ango bitters you're wasting your life IMO, lemon squash ginger ale and bitters is also my go to work drink when I'm desperate for sugar

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my god How have I never thought of this

bloody ghost titty posted:

We call that one "brosé".

Bon vivant has a jersey cocktail that's just cider+bitters with simple so I just call it that, ginger syrup is a cool tweak if you're like me and you've just always got ginger sitting in a pile of sugar water for whatever reason

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was at work drinking last night and I ordered a left hand off my fave dude, it was really busy so I waited patiently with my girlfriend and talked to the girl waiting next to us and she complimented my drink when it came and I said thanks and we went to sit down and about five minutes later she came up behind us and said my drink needed a top up and whipped out a Smirnoff ice (we don't sell those) and dumped it in my half full drink before I even realised what was happening

Maybe because I was already way too drunk to be ordering stirred down drinks but it wasn't half bad and now I'm probably just going to gently caress around with citrus in vermouth cocktails tonight and see what sticks

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Breakfast martinis (basic 3:2:1 daisy specs with a bar spoon of marmalade) with blended scotch in place of gin are dope as gently caress IMO

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me that Salvatore Calabrese might have accidentally started the trend of calling anything served in a martini glass a martini with that drink, can anyone think of a drink with the martini affix that didn't have vermouth pre-2003?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually now that I think about it I'm almost certainly wrong cause I turned 18 in 02 so my exposure to drinking culture kind of starts there but my probably going to look through a couple of cheesy recipe books from the 90s I've picked up and see if anything as unimaginative as a chocolate martini turns up as a name

I mean if you're gonna make something with pancake flavoured vodka and a 100s & 1000's rimmed glass you really should have the decency to come up with a really snappy name

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it's not really useful to taste before shaking unless you're doing something really weird and just want to make sure it works on a really basic level before you make the big show of shaking and realise you suck at being creative

Also I'm so loving hyped for nog season I don't give a poo poo that it's summer and 35 Celsius where I live it's still nog season and if you wanna get drunk with me any time in the next week you have to drink my egg nog with me sorry for being that guy

Probably going with spiced rum as a base but I wanna try a little bit of sherry in it this year, anyone got any good recs for a sherry that would go well in a rum nog? Was thinking some PX since that's the sherry I remember was in the best nog I had in my life but I don't know poo poo about sherry and if there's a better idea I'd be up for it

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 23, 2015