Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People keep recommending that I use a Boston shaker, but I'm having a hard time finding one that isn't riddled with bad reviews. Are the pre-paired ones crap and I'm supposed to just get the stainless steel half and then use it with a pint glass, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Thank you all for the Boston shaker recommendations. This is probably a dumb question, but what is an example of a restaurant supply store? (Bonus points for Portland Oregon area). I've googled up a few and they seem to be stores that sell industrial ovens and kitchen racks. Is that the kind of place I want to go to?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cocktail Kingdom looks pretty great. I ordered the small and large Koriko shakers, and they had a nice pair of jiggers I couldn't say no to either. G'bye money

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I made the Jerry Thomas Champagne Punch from the 12bottlebar blog for my new year's party and it was delicious. Trader joe's $4 bottle of Schloss was great as well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's my opinion that brown sugar simple syrup makes the drink taste different because it's nowhere near as sweet.

I make simple syrup with turbinado sugar and a 2:1 sugar to water ratio. The difference in taste is almost trivial, but I like that it adds a bit of color to the drink. Also as noted above, it seems to pair REALLY well with Angostura.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Fitzgerald is officially my drink of choice for showing people that drinks can be more complicated than "Spirit & Mixer" and still be easy/delicious.

2:1:1 ratio of gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and a dash or two of Angostura, shake and strain. This is probably a well known drink considering it's a basic sour recipe, but I hadn't had one before and loved it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would love to serve it at every occasion, but one of the ingredients (2x Remy Martin VSOP) will run me $80. If I wanted to make it for a less discerning crowd (one that would as happily drink from a vat of HRD Vodka + Safeway Fruit Salad), are there any reasonable substitutions for the Remy? Maybe in the $15-$25/750mL region?

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 7, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Speaking of bitters, I've wondered about recipes that call for a "dash" of bitters.

When you say to add a dash of orange liqueur, it means a teaspoon. You'd think dash = 1tsp, but bitters bottles come with a kind of tabasco-style squirt nozzle. Does one squirt = 1 dash for bitters?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let that be a lesson to you. If you only drink the cocktails you like, you'll never break your cell phone and get hit by a car.

And that drink sounds delicious, dammit! Don't fault it for not having vodka in it. Vodka is the true teenage girl drink.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I made a whiskey sour but shook it with an egg white before shaking with ice, and it was fantastic. The frothy-ness was just to die for. Does anyone have a favorite drink recipe that involves an egg white? I need to try more of these.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alternatively, make all the same recipes and see how they compare! It's all about enjoying your booze. Personally I can tell the difference between a fancy sour made with Redbreast and one made with Evan Williams just as easily as I can tell a burger patty from a steak. Up the quality of all your ingredients and they'll all shine (ie, don't use juice from a plastic yellow lemon).

However, all tequila should be in shot form.:colbert:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Of course! There's no way I could go through a flight of $10, $20, $30, and $40 whiskey sours and rank them in order of least to most expensive, but if you're making a cocktail right it should showcase the spirit rather than mask it. So all I care about is using a base spirit I enjoy. I like Evan Williams better than Woodford Reserve anyway, so I'd reach for that when making a cocktail even if their price points were switched. If the point of a cocktail for me was to taste a bunch of mixers and get plastered in the process, of course I'd bump up the sugar and use rail liquor.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright, my office is having a party friday afternoon and I'm in charge of making "jungle juice or punch or something, enough to get 24 people drunk". Coworkers are aged 23 to 55 with a mix of people who are beer drinkers, wine snobs, cocktail artisans, and people whose dream drink would be described as "something sweet that doesn't taste like alcohol".

Any recommendations for a punch? I know that Admiral Russell punch recipe is the first one in the arsenal, but that won't go over well here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Very Strange Things posted:

Is there someone in one of those groups that
a. you want to gently caress
b. is in charge of your review
?
Important.

Heh. No to a., although my boss is a fan of beer and classic cocktails. He's the one who suggested the "or jungle juice" part, so I'm not worried about impressing him or him being picky.

Speaking of French 75's, would a punch bowl full of that work out well? I've made Champagne Punches before and they were great. I can't see why a vat full of French 75 wouldn't function.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting. I had never heard of or had a French 75 with absinthe, but it looks like there are quite a few sources claiming that to be a staple of the recipe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Make sure the 12 bottle bar website is referenced in the new megathread. That website is so in line with the general attitudes in this thread that sometimes I think we're all just circle-quoting http://12bottlebar.com/

Sadly it seems the website isn't updated more than every few months now, though.

Similarly, http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/ is the blog maintained by a head bartender of a cocktail joint in Portland, OR. The guy is a classic cocktail enthusiast and although he rarely updates nowadays as well, his site has a bunch of great technique and product recommendations, not to mention great recipes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Someone shine the Kenning Symbol onto the sky; I have a punch question!

I made this last year for New Year's:

Jerry Thomas’ Champagne Punch

1 Bottle Champagne
2 oz Sugar
1 Orange Sliced
Juice of 1 Lemon
3 Slices of Pineapple
2 oz Raspberry Syrup (or Grenadine)

It's delicious and people were turning the bowl over to get the last few drops out, but it's a little weak seeing as it's diluted Champagne. Looking at these ingredients, is there a good spirit to spike the punch a bit?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How do you do your sazerac, thread? I do the following:

1oz Cognac
1oz Rye
1tsp turbinado simple syrup
3 dashes Peychaud's
1 dash Angostura
Absinthe-rinsed glass
Expressed lemon peel

I fill the glass with ice and let it chill in the freezer. I mix my cognac, rye, syrup, and bitters in a mixing tin before stirring very, very briefly in ice. After the glass is chilled I put a splash of absinthe in there and spin the glass around until it has a good coating, then I dispose of (drink!) the absinthe. Then I strain the contents of the tin into the glass, squeeze a lemon peel over the surface, and drink it neat.

I've heard debate on whether or not it should be all rye, all cognac, always both / never both. Tell me about your sazerac!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This guy has (had) a great blog and wrote a post on barrel aging cocktails, including Manhattans.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2010/barrel-aged-cocktails/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Plymouth really is the best gin I've had. Much better than some of the $45+ offerings I've tried. They even changed the bottle to a fancypants design recently to show off how great it is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dolin vermouths are available in 375ml bottles and cost about 50% more by volume, so you're in luck!

Also I've found that the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake after you add the cherry and orange slice, but before you add the club soda.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No love for Grand Marnier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah. Here in Oregon, prices are fixed by the state, and both Cointrau and Grand Marnier are $36, so I've never felt bad about reaching for one over the other!