Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Perhaps I trusted Martin Cate a bit too much because I bought a bottle of Rhum JM White only to realize that the Smugglers Cove book has maybe 3 drinks that use it. Aside from Ti' Punch and "use it in place of your Plantation 3 Stars and see what happens", what are some things I can do with a liter of 110-proof rhum agricole?

For the rest of the recommended rum styles in the book, I am currently using and generally enjoy:
Young pot still: Smith & Cross
Young blended: Plantation 3 Stars
Aged blended: El Dorado 5yr and Appleton Reserve
Aged column still: Angostura 7
Black blended: Gosling Black Seal
Black overproof: Plantation OFTD
Rhum agricole blanc: Rhum JM White
Rhum agricole vieux: Maybe one day I'll find a place near Seattle that carries a bottle of aged rhum agricole for less than $70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks! This looks like a pretty good starting point.

I did end up making a ti' punch last night and was quite happy with the results. Like an old fashioned, it's just enough sugar (and lime) to make the drink go down more easily but not enough to overwhelm the flavor of the spirit. 110-proof rhum feels a lot stronger than 100-proof rye, though.

Will try slipping some in a mai tai later and report back. Previously I had mediocre results putting Barbancourt 3-star into a mai tai but I think that's just because I don't like Barbancourt very much. Adding a bit of OFTD to a mai tai, on the other hand, is definitely recommended.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Did some El Presidente research over the last few days (had a bottle of vermouth I wanted to use up before leaving town):

Dolin Blanc>Dolin Dry but honestly it's not as big of a difference as I was expecting.
2:1:1 is a better ratio than 3:2:1 (1 oz vermouth, 0.5 oz curacao) unless you really like vermouth or want a slightly weaker drink for whatever reason.
Using the syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries instead of grenadine is definitely a thing you could get away with if this is your third drink of the evening but you shouldn't make a habit of it.

A lightly-aged rum like Flor de Cana 4 or Plantation 3 Stars makes the best drink for most people but I'm not going to stop you from donating your taste buds to science like I did. A full ounce and a half of Rhum JM is really overpowering (though probably more from the 55% ABV than the funk) but I got enjoyable results from using an ounce of El Dorado 5 and half an ounce of OFTD. It turns the cocktail into a rich dessert drink without making it unrecognizable. Trois Rivieres Ambre is just as insipid here as it is in everything else I've tried with it. Angostura 7 makes for a perfectly-serviceable drink in the event that you've run out of lightly-aged rum. Mercifully, I ran out of vermouth before I could try a black rum variation.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I got a bottle of 120-proof Adrift Triticale whiskey for Christmas. While I'm familiar with the joys of overproof rum, I don't really have any good ideas for overproof whiskey beyond "splash a little bit into an Old Fashioned" and "get drunk on highballs". Is there anything useful I can do with the stuff or are those probably my the best options?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
On average it's probably a cocktail a day and usually a beer with dinner. More cocktails if I'm experimenting with something new or trying to use up something perishable, maybe more beer if it's the weekend and I'm out.

Pro tip: living in a city is a great excuse to drink more because you can just walk or take the bus instead of having to drive everywhere.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

What's the actual, "correct" apertif to add to an El Presidente? I see all kinds of different reports that you're supposed to use blanc vermouth, dry vermouth, or even stuff like lilet blanc. I made one last night using 50/50 dry and sweet because I don't have blanc and I read a spec saying that that was a good mix, and it was actually really delicious. Extremely silky, and makes me thankful I finally pulled the trigger and made some homemade grenadine.

Blanc vermouth is supposedly the official choice. It makes for a smoother drink than you'll get from dry vermouth (especially if you use a dry rum and/Triple sec). You can buy half bottles of blanc just like the other Dolin stuff so it's well worth the effort if you see yourself drinking more of these in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'm going to Chicago for the first time (discounting layovers in O'Hare) this month. So far the only drinking plan I have is Three Dots and a Dash the night I get there. For the rest of the trip I'm looking at one evening in Wicker Park, one day/evening in Hyde Park and one evening without any real plan yet. Where should I go for cocktails? is it actually worth making reservations anywhere short of The Aviary for drinks or is that overkill/awkward when I tell the server we're not ordering food?

Bonus points for something outside of the "stirred and bitter" template.