Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klauser posted:

Since we're talking about gin and blueberries are in season:

Blueberry Boat

3oz gin
1oz lemon juice
1oz simple syrup
~10 blueberries
Handful of basil leaves

Muddle blueberries and basil with the simple syrup, add rest. Shake and double strain into a chilled flute. Garnish with a couple blueberries.
That sounds really good, actually. How strong is it? I'm kind of sketchy on gin, but the lemon juice and blueberries sound amazing.

Any suggestions for cheaper but not horribly lovely brandy? Someone said Christian Brothers, is that a good/bad idea?

Since I'm asking so many questions anyway, any strawberry liqueur reccomendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I guess I won't get brandy then. It's not be being cheap, it's me having no job and being a college student.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are vodka gimlets a thing that people actually order? I'd never heard of one before yesterday. Has vodka just become a common substitution for gin in everything?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What dry gins do you all recommend for cocktail-making? I'd rather stick with something on the cheaper end, but not completely crap. I was mostly looking at either Gordons or Beefeater.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What do you guys recommend for rocks / non-melting cold stuff? I just made baby's first gimlet yesterday, in the glass since I haven't bought any sort of mixing supplies. I noticed that it was absolutely amazing when it was fresh-stirred and cold, but I needed to stir it again every couple of minutes to keep it at that perfectly cold temperature. I figured something that didn't melt would be nice to keep in there to keep it cold.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

Drink your cocktails faster. Also shake your gimlets and serve them up.

There are also glass sets like these ridiculous things, but I'm just showing them, not suggesting them.
I have no cocktail equipment at all. Normally I would either get a shaker or mixing glass and make it properly, but I forgot that I needed that while at the liquor store, and decided to try it anyway when I realized my mistake.

I guess I can make smaller cocktails, but I also like whiskey/other stuff on the rocks, so I kind of feel like I might as well get some stones as well. Any recommendations for that, or should I go ask in the whiskey thread?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for a sparkling wine for highballs? Related, what measures does everyone prefer for French 75s? I had one that was absolutely delicious at the bar on Valentine's day, although I think it may have been heavier than usual on the simple. It was pretty much lemonade with gin and champagne instead of water.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Butch Cassidy left me hanging in TFR, so I'm asking here. What whiskey does the goon hivemind recommend for Boulevardiers?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm moving at the beginning of April, and I'm going to have a housewarming party. Maybe 10-12 people, nothing huge. I want to get some ingredients for simple mixed drinks. I've got brandy, whiskey (rye and bourbon), gin, and a little dark rum. I think I'm going to get a bottle of white rum, some ginger beer, grenadine, sprite, coke, I have some rose's lime. Is there anything else that I should get for simple stuff to throw together and stir up? I've been considering getting a cocktail shaker set, but I also don't want to be stuck shaking up drinks for everyone all night.

I haven't included vodka, because I don't drink it. I might get a cheap bottle anyway, since so many people do like it.

I know that liquor+soda is kind of scrub tier, but I also know that some of the people coming over love whatever it's called when you mix sprite, grenadine, and gin. And I will fight anyone that doesn't appreciate a nice, strong whiskey and ginger ale.

Is it acceptable to use Rose's lime for a daiquiri, since it's sweetened lime juice, and a daiquiri is rum, lime, and sugar?

edit: Forgot to say, I also have tonic water, and I think I'm just going to buy some limes. Lime garnish is really common.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 11, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Hebug posted:

Never use Rose's lime juice.

I prefer my gimlets Marlowe-style. That's really all I use it for, but I loving love gimlets. I always forget how much I love them until I make one.

What brand grenadine should I get? I'll look at maybe getting a cheap shaker set and a juicer. Not one of those juice machines, just the thing you push the citrus down onto to squeeze it out.

I'm not going to do punch because odds are I wouldn't get through a whole bowl of it. There's going to be beer, cider (for celiac people) and wine (for celiac people) on top of the liquor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay then. So the same 1/1 ratio as simple syrup?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might try that punch recipe, but not a huge bowl of it. It does sound good, but there's going to be beer and cider and possibly wine too, so I don't think I would get through 2.25 gallons of it.

Liquor question: I know that purely distilled beverages are gluten free because the distillation leaves behind all of the proteins in the grain, but I also know some liquors have additives that contain gluten, like fireball. Is there a way to tell which ones are gluten free, aside from the ones that advertise it? Am I safe if I just avoid lovely flavored liquors? What about higher end ones, like the bird dog blackberry whiskey, or Leopold brothers apple whiskey? I love Leopold brothers.

Before someone jumps on me for caring about gluten free, at least two of the people there either have celiac, or have an increased risk due to other autoimmune diseases. I personally prefer the chew of gluten and don't care about it in my booze.

Kenning, when you say 2:1 simple syrup in that recipe, is that two parts water or two parts sugar?

edit: I'm asking all sorts of poo poo. I know vermouth goes sour after a week or two. Can you preserve it by putting a shot of vodka in it like that article said you could the grenadine? If no, are there any vermouth makers that sell in those 4 packs of little tiny bottles like you can get cheap wine in? My fiancee's best friend likes vodka martinis, but I like her anyway. It would be cool if I could make one for her when she comes over without having to waste a bunch of vermouth or be forced into drinking a bunch of cocktails before it goes bad.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 13, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never made a churchill, because I don't have a shaker. But I have had gin on the rocks when I didn't have any mixers. Tasty.

Is the Flor de Cana four year their white rum, or is there something else? I went to two big stores today, and all I could find was the 4, 8, 12, and 18 year.

Is there a cheaper liqueur similar to cointreau? Thinking about this reminded me that I have most of a bottle of Remy Martin VS that I bought about half a year ago. It turns out, I don't really like brandy by itself. It's not bad, it's just too similar to whiskey, and I prefer whiskey. I do like sidecars, but I don't like spending another $40 on a bottle of cointreau, since the recipe I saw for a sidecar is 1/1/1 brandy, lemon, and cointreau.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress it, I'm buying a shaker. Is there a good set to get, or is it like knives where all the sets are full of bloat?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That looks good. I'm going to have to ask for that next time I'm at the fancy cocktail place in town. There are a few bars I like in this college town, but one of them has a bartender that has known every drink I've ever asked for there. Which is good, because I usually don't remember all the ingredients, or the proportions. He even made a Ramos fizz for somebody I was with. I wasn't expecting anybody to keep egg whites around. I kind of thought there would be a health department issue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, yeah, but who wants to have the kitchen separate an egg white and bring it out when you've got a busy bar?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Maestro posted:

We keep egg white on deck in a squeeze bottle

That's what I'd guess they do too. I just wasn't expecting any place in this town to do that. This is probably the best cocktail place in the city, but it's a college town. Half of the bartenders in this town wouldn't know how to make an old fashioned. I also thought that health departments would have some sort of knee-jerk "no raw egg of any kind" policy.

Honestly, though, I've tried most of the gin cocktails I can remember when I go to a bar. It's not that many, but as many as I can. I've had a Red Lion, Pegu Club, Martini, Sweet Martini, Ramos Fizz, a couple house specialty cocktails, but I haven't found anything I like as much as a G&T or Gimlet.

fake edit: Actually, put the French 75 on that favorite list. That's probably my favorite overall, but it's basically two drinks in one so I have to be careful about it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Last Words are incredible. Sloe gin fizzes are great too, and for simple but classic, Bees Knees are tasty. One of our more popular drinks from the last menu was gin, muddled blackberry, simple, st Germain, lemon, and egg white. Absolutely gorgeous drink and so delicious too

Those all sound good. Does the last word have absinthe, though? The Wikipedia page doesn't list it. I'm iffy on anise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

20 or 30 proof, or 20 or 30 percent? 20 or 30 percent isn't too bad. Still weaker than the average liquor, but my impression is 20-30% is pretty average for a liqueur, is that not right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Beardless posted:

Try a Gin Buck. It's the exact same thing as a Moscow Mule but with gin instead of vodka.

I never knew there was a name for that. I always just thought of them as London Mules.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning, since I don't have PMs and I know you read this thread, I'm curious about the Limmer Club punch. Going off of the recipe, it sounds like a Tom Collins with some orange flavor. Is the orange the primary flavor, or is the lemon? I'm probably going to try making a scaled down batch of it some time. Does the carbonation from the soda last a few hours, or does it go flat quickly?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. Next time I go out (which will probably be a while, since I'm trying to be a responsible adult), I need to remember to ask the bartender for a Sawyer. A gimlet is one of my favorite gin cocktails (although I'm a philistine and use Rose's at home).

I don't know what orange blossom tastes like. I guess I'm going to find out. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to test it out, though. I don't drink much, neither does my fiancee. So 10 ounces of gin between us would be a bit much. Maybe at some point during the wedding planning process when we get all the bridesmaids and groomsmen together, so we can spread it out over more people.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In Fort Collins, CO, I really like Ace Gillett's. It's in the basement of a local hotel, I think they are going for a '30s art deco theme. It would work better if the servers didn't wear t-shirts with the bar logo. The bartender knows every drink I've asked for. Drinks are 8.5-11 dollars, so on the expensive side. They do seem to make everything a double, though. So you are getting a good amount of alcohol for your money.

It probably is just average for a bigger city, but this is a college town. Most bars here make their money off of Jaeger shots and vodka red bulls.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

swimming anime posted:

lol I gotta get out of nyc

Yeah, Colorado is going to be distinctly cheaper than NYC. For comparison, wells at the gastropub I usually go to are 5, they are 3 at the quieter dive bar I go to. 12 is the most expensive cocktail I've seen in this city, and IIRC it was using yamazaki 12 year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Carillon posted:

Don't feel like a philistine! It's a whole tradition as described by Raymond Chandler in The Long Goodbye, https://tohaveandhaveanother.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/have-a-gimlet-tonight-to-honor-raymond-chandler/.

I know it's a common recipe, I just also know people in this thread prefer fresh juice and simple syrup to Rose's.

I actually started drinking liquor because of The Long Goodbye. It was maybe a month after I turned 21, I had just been drinking beer up to that point because I live in microbrew heaven. I was at a used bookstore in Atlanta and picked up the only Raymond Chandler book they had. The book mentions bourbon, scotch, and rye on top of the gin gimlet (gently caress people for thinking to invent vodka gimlets and making me specify when I order one at a bar). So on a whim I went out and bought a 375 of Evan Williams, and I've been drinking whiskey ever since. The gimlet was also the second cocktail I ever ordered, thanks to the book.

On the other hand from Kenning's quote, I have never heard of anybody using soda water in a gimlet. That would just be a Gin Rickey / Tom Collins with lime.

edit: I forgot to mention. If you have Leopold Bros apple whiskey, make a moscow mule with it. It's delicious. There's a steakhouse around here that makes them and calls it a manhattan mule. My whiskey-hating fiancee even liked it. It was definitely better than the food.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 20, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's because gin is good, and jello shots are bad.

Does the punch book have non-alcoholic punches too? I'd like to try making one for a family get-together.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

A non-alcoholic punch is a bowel of Arnold Palmers

I'm not sure what exactly your drinking habits are, but please don't bring them around here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That actually sounds really good. I was trying to avoid anything too heavily citrus, but I think a carbonated Arnold Palmer would be good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's not a soda thread here, so I figure this is the best choice for sodas commonly used as mixer.

How does Reed's Ginger Brew compare for ginger beers? They have them at costco for something like 2/3 of the cost of Goslings/Cock and Bull/Barritt's (Haven't seen Bundaberg).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll try Reeds when I'm out of this Barritt's then.

I'm almost out of Coruba too, I need to see if there's any place around here that stocks it. If not, maybe I'll special order a bottle. On the other hand, I have plenty of bourbon and rye, and some lime juice. I would feel bad about putting Rittenhouse in ginger beer, though. Even if it was only Turkey priced when I got it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ralith posted:

I dump a pound of ginger directly into a 1kW centrifugal juicer and get 250-500ml of ginger juice so strong that a teaspoon will completely overpower most drinks. Suffice to say this lasts me a while. Add in my carbonation equipment and buying ginger ale/beer just can't compete, even ignoring quality.

I need to make a carbonation rig. Does anyone have a DIY one that doesn't involve shaking the bottle or buying a sodastream? I want to try making stevia-sweetened ginger beer, but you can't naturally ferment/carbonate with stevia.

I have a juicer. I'm not sure how strong it is, but it should do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Reed's Extra Ginger supposed to be really sour? This is godawful, I'm wondering if I got a bad batch. I'm seriously considering returning this to Costco.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

taqueso posted:

No, I wouldn't describe it as really sour.

Okay, good. I'd feel guilty about taking a good batch of it back just because I didn't like it, but if it's not supposed to taste like that, I'll probably stop by again and return it. This is completely undrinkable.

I think I remember someone talking about this, but this thread is really long. How long does vermouth keep if you refrigerate it? I'm thinking of buying a smaller bottle to play with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

My eye already twitches when I read the phrase "premium vodka" so marinating a dead stinkbug in a vodka bottle isn't going to offend me any further.

I've got a bottle of Belvedere in my liquor cabinet. I bought it for a friend that moved away before we put too much of a dent in it. She would only drink Belvedere unless it was a cocktail where the other flavors would cover it up.

It's the best vodka I have had, but I still prefer a $21 regular price bottle of Bombay or Beefeater to the $27 on sale Belvedere. Maybe I'll buy some vermouth and try making a Vesper. That's just gin, vodka, and vermouth, right? Does it matter if it's lillet, or is that just tradition/brand snobbery?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

You could also sqeeze in some lime for such a "cuban" kick, the drink would deserve its own name.

It's not authentic unless it's real sugar coke, Cuban rum, and some cocaine mixed in.

I'm going drinking this weekend. What are some good uncommon summer cocktails? I'm planning on ordering a gin hound already.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a good idea. This is the kind of place that would probably have a bottle of cachaca around somewhere. When I say uncommon, I mean the type of thing that would stump an average bartender, but not a good bartender.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never seen one on the menu except at a Brazilian restaurant. Maybe they are a common request, I just never ordered one anywhere else. I didn't like the one I got at the restaurant, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just shittily made. Not a very authentic restaurant.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well in that case I might order something else. Maybe a Corpse Reviver #2?

If I don't like Maraschino cherries, should I still give an Aviation / Last Word a shot? Or maybe I'll just go with a Pimm's. I haven't had one of those in a while. Or maybe a Bronx.

This is why I have to ask. I look things up and I get way too many ideas to go through.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't like the big, neon red ones. I guess those aren't like real maraschino cherries or the liqueur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Orange blossom syrup: where do I find it? I probably should have asked this a week or two ago.