Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

tynam posted:

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I gotta defend my favorite cocktail country in the world. Also thinking of going back in October, fml.

Totally unrelated, but do you by chance read the manga titled "Bartender"? Or watch the live action version I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Goslings is pretty bad, cock n bull is a bit too sweet but good, haven't heard of barritts. Bundaberg has been one of my faves. Reeds is pretty spicy but delicious. I usually go for bundaberg, but I also like Q or fever tree. Maine Root is also great, not quite as spicy as Reeds but spicier than any other I've named here.

Which variety of reeds do you get? The last time I tried it, I would hardly describe it as spicy--I remember it being sweet with an extremely noticeable lime flavor, which is fine but not what I really look for drinking ginger beer.

The Maestro posted:

I'm pretty excited for dark n stormy season. I still have yet to try making my own ginger beer, but ginger syrup is easy and incredible. I chop a hand of (edit: peeled, using the back of a spoon is pretty easy) ginger, blend it, strain it, gets me about 12 oz of ginger juice, then I make 5 cups of simple or so, substituting the 12 oz of ginger juice for the same amount of water - to be more specific I mix in the ginger juice after I've already made the syrup, I don't "cook" the ginger in with it. Easy to adjust for your taste.
I need to figure out a better, more consistent way to extract ginger juice, but what I've tried is:
1. Peel/chop ginger. I can't be assed to grate that much ginger, but lots of instructions say to grate it
2. Pulse in blender, then add water to almost cover the chopped bits after you scrape down the sides
3. Blend the hell out of what's in the blender
4. Squeeze out all of the liquid using a cheesecloth to wrap the mush

I add ~50ml of liquid to 12 oz can of canada dry or choice of canned ginger ale. Sometimes I just add it to seltzer water and drink it unsweetened. It turns out well enough, but it doesn't really come out that much cheaper than just buying bottles if you buy the ginger from kroger.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I might have misremembered my Maine Root/ reeds ginger beer experience, but I will say that both are spicier than Q/fever tree/goslings/bundaberg. But I am so excited for dark n stormy season because of the experimentation it entails. And because next to the Negroni and Manhattan dns might be my favorite drink.

I picked up another pack of reeds, and I still wouldn't describe it as spicy. It just doesn't have much of a bite. Cock n Bull is pretty good and easily available (kroger sells singles). It has a little bit of bite, but it also doesn't have as much to balance the sugar taste. Americana ginger ale was pretty good the one time I had it, but I can't find it anywhere now. On the other end of the spectrum, holy poo poo blenheim hot is spicy to the point I can't really drink it. It might be okay mixed, but it's way too strong on its own.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

So with this would I just need a standard CO2 canister like you can get at Airgas? Cause that would be sick as hell.

I've definitely gotten carbonated punch when I've used dry ice, but also some sludge precipitates out at the bottom. Could be an interesting low-tech option though.

Canister + regulator + ball lock disconnect gas line. I would probably get a metal one since it's cheaper to replace the bottles than the cap. If you're not going to do a ton, there might be a way to hook up co2 cartridges which likely be cheaper in the short term