Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I had an amazing cocktail for the first time tonight - the Black Lily, the official cocktail of the 2012 San Francisco cocktail week:

Ingredients:
1.5 oz Cointreau
1 oz Fernet Branca
.75 oz fresh lime juice

Method
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with orange peel.

You would think that the orange of the Cointreau and the menthol of the Fernet would clash, like orange juice and toothpaste, but's actually a bracing and refreshing blast of rich flavors dancing on sour. I highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
You can also use St. Germain elderflower liqueur instead of syrup in an Old-Fashioned. Use a little bit more St. Germain than you would syrup, it adds an extra little interesting flavor but doesn't overpower the spirit.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

PatMarshall posted:

You could also just drink vermouth as an apertif once a week or so. Chilled dry vermouth with a lemon twist is a lovely pre-dinner drink. So is Italian vermouth with a slice of orange.

A little dry vermouth is fantastic with breakfast but weekday morning drinking is a dark road to start walking down.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Klauser posted:

Thanks for that. My experience with sherry is limited. I have some PX, that I don't like, to my dismay. I had no idea fino was open air fermented. I am a big fan of beer that is fermented that way, so I'll have to check it out.

This isn't the wine thread, but... PX sherry is way too sweet for me, try going to a wine shop with staff who know a thing or two and ask for a dry sherry. It's a great aperitif, straight or perhaps with orange twist and an ice cube, as you might drink an aromatized aperitivo wine like Cocchi Americano.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure that this has been answered to death, but I'm unable to find it in the first or last few pages: What is your preferred mid-range gin for martinis? For gin/tonics? I tend to get Tanqueray as a "safe" pick, but I'd love to know if I'm missing out on something better by not spending the extra $10.

Is Plymouth too expensive to be considered mid-range? I keep a bottle of something cheaper around for gin and tonics or Tom Collinses but for a drink like a martini, Plymouth is fantastic.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

tynam posted:

I think you meant that the other way around. I agree with Kenning though, Cointreau is indispensable.

I've got an open question for the gin drinkers. I'll be heading to Japan soon and want to bring a bottle to a bartender there. Last year I brought him a bottle of Aviation which he seemed to enjoy playing with.

Looking for gin recommendations that meet the following criteria:

Not available outside the US.
Unique flavor profile. I love my Tanqueray as much as the next person, but I'm looking for something a bit more interesting if I'm going to haul it over.
Usable in most mixed drinks.

I was toying with the idea of bringing over a bottle of Death's Door gin, but the flavor feels a bit too wild to be used in any mixed drinks beyond simple ones. Then again, a real bartender can probably make it work.

Consider one of the St. George's. The Terroir is a very unique gin with many local ingredients from the North California forests, so it has this "forest juniper earth pine" aroma. Very aromatic and very assertive. Douglas fir, bay laurel, sage, coriander and of course juniper, I've never really had anything quite like it. The flavor profile means it doesn't work with everything - I didn't really like martinis with it - but it means it clicks even more with other drinks like a negroni.

Their Dry Rye is also a unique gin - made with rye instead of a neutral spirit base, it's more like a genever than a regular gin. Very different but also very unique.

Their Botantical is just a good American-style gin, not too unique, but if the Aviation went over well, this would be along those same lines.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I've started trying Negronis and Americanos with Punt E Mes and Aperol instead of Dolin Rouge and Campari. It's an excellent variation - the Aperol is sweeter than the Campari, but the Punt E Mes is more bitter than the sweet vermouth, so you still have that same kind of balance, but with the different flavors Aperol and Punt E Mes bring to the table. I highly recommend trying it if you have some around - I haven't had much Punt E Mes until now but I see it having a much more prominent place in my cabinet going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

Try adding a bit of Campari to a gin and tonic. Changes up the usual G&T dimensions without taking everything over. Some people also like an ounce of Campari in a beer - that didn't click as hard for me but might be worth trying. Both of these are super easy options that aren't as aggressively herbal as the negroni.

Personally I got into Campari through Americanos - equal parts Campari and sweet vermouth, some orange bitters if you have them, soda water and plenty of ice. That's a great summer drink to sip on. At some point you'll want more kick so pour in a shot of gin and you're 90% of the way to a negroni.