Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know you guys will probably think it's an abomination but I really like a Dirty Gibson. I never really clicked with Martinis even though I love Gin but when I had it with a cocktail onion and splash of juice instead of olives it just worked for me. Gin, splash of Vermouth, splash of onion juice, garnished with an onion, mmmm.

Alas, I've been too poor to acquire more alcohol for playing with. I have a bottle of Pimm's No 1 Cup I've been drinking with lemonade (Sprite, whatever). Anything else neat I can do with it? It's pretty foul straight but mixed it comes alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nope, Australian here. The Pimm's was a gift. I had a nice stock of liquor but with bills and the like getting replacement bottles moved further down the list of priorities. And eventually it all got drunk. Hopefully there'll be no more surprise costs any time soon so I can start restocking.

The story for getting Pimm's instead of my usual Gin (Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire) was that I went over to a friend's place for a gathering (Not large enough to be a party). Usually it's BYO but he was kind enough to shout me a bottle of something. Originally that bottle was going to be Gin (He already had tonic ready for me) but I made the decision to not get it because it usually doesn't end well for the next morning. I usually drink a lot of it and get to the point where I'm drinking it straight instead of trying to portion it out with tonic. So I went looking for something different and noticed the store stocked Pimm's.

That's a lot of words to say "I suck at self control when it comes to Gin."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's funny because beer is about the only thing I don't drink or eat. I've tried every one I could get my hands on but I just don't like it. I'll eat basically anything and drink everything under the sea except beer. Which severely hinders my drinking at parties where the only thing they have to drink is beer. Would it work decently with cider? Probably not, but that's as close I want to get.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kenning posted:

If you pour some applejack into cider it become one iteration of the Stone Fence, and one on which I have had some good times. I'm sorry to hear about your beer experiences – are you interested in describing the Beers You Have Known? It could be that everyone around you drinks poo poo beer and you just haven't tasted anything properly yummy.

I'll have to try the Stone Fence then!

And sure, but if it bugs people I can move it to the beer thread (We still have one don't we?). Most of my beer experience comes from stuff you can buy from the local liquor stores BWS and Dan Murphy's. Like I said I've tried many different ones just in case I just had bad ones but I generally don't like the taste rather than "it would be better if it was more/less bitter, taste less hoppy" or that sort of thing.

Standard Australian beers like XXXX, VB, Foster's, Toohey's, Carlton Draught, Cooper's, James Boag's. On top of that there was Crown, James Boag's, Cascade, Hahn, Corona, Peroni, Heineken, Budweiser, Tiger, Lucky Beer (Whatever the hell that is), Beck's and Carlsberg. There's probably more but that's what I know I had after looking at DM's stock.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's the ratio for Gimlets everyone uses? I usually start the night drinking 1:1 but do 2:1 or 3:1 pretty soon after. Maybe 4:1 if I'm feeling saucy. And more though and I feel like I should just ditch the lime and drink it neat or on the rocks.

Also, lime juice cordial (à la Rose's) or fresh lime juice + SS?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Don't know much about floating berry juice (Bar spoon if you don't already do that?) but I love me some Gin. Some standouts aside from the classic G&T you mentioned have got to be, for me at least, the Gimlet and a Tom Collins. A Gimlet is just a measure of lime juice cordial (Rose's or Schweppes is what I use) and some Gin, ratio to taste. A Tom Collins is, as I know it, a shot of lemon juice, a bit of simple syrup and 1.5 shots of gin, topped with soda water. Simple and delicious.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks for answering. I usually don't like gin that much but I want some decent gin for a proper Martini (dry). I heard Plymouth is good but I really don't know much than what I see or here on British TV.

I always reach for Gordon's for things like G&T or Tom Collins and Beefeater or Sapphire for Martinis/Gibsons/anything that really needs the Gin to shine. Well, I used to go for Gordon's until Beefeater actually became cheaper than it.

So, Beefeater is what I'd go for.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a bit of a sissy drink but I've always liked Cointreau and apple infused Vodka topped with lemonade. Vary the amounts to taste. Simple but a great summer drink.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have a question on juices. How much is it a sin to use premade juices? I'm not talking a dash of lime/lemon/orange where you cut a segment and squeeze, more pineapple or grapefruit or whatever. Should I just buy the full thing and deal with it or it cans of pineapple + juice acceptable? Basically, how far can you go premade before it becomes poo poo?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

I've come to the conclusion that a good gimlet is the most cheerful cocktail I've ever had.

It's only two ingredients, gin and lime cordial. But it's elegant in it's simplicity, and I don't think it's possible to not smile or be happy after a gimlet.

I love Gimlets and will happily blaspheme and say that a Gimlet is easily a better Gin cocktail than a Martini.

Anyway, I've decided to work my way through the IBA cocktail list, one drink at a time (With friends to help, of course). I've already tackled the Martini (Who hasn't?) and it's twin the Gibson. Last weekend a mate and I tried our hand at Caipirinhas and man are they good. Any suggestions for what to try next? I'm aiming to conquer the few ingredients ones first. A Negroni sounds great but the extra bottle of Campari adds $35 to the cost of what will be a one night event. Also I'm the only real Gin lover among my friends.

I'm currently looking at the Old Fashioned (A classic I've yet to try) or the Manhattan (Because it's a whisky Martini, what's not to love?). Preferably pre-dinner cocktails. I love sweet after-dinner cocktails but when I'm having a night with mates I'm looking for liquor, not sweets. Maybe an Americano? Sweeter is fine, just nothing with cream or syrups, basically.

I ask your guidance!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I too threw caution to the wind and bought a bottle of Gin (Beefeater), Campari and Sweet Vermouth and made both an Americano and Negroni.

Possibly two of the worst drinks I've ever had. So, so bad. It wasn't just me either, I tried like four friends and they all thought it was foul. How do you people drink this?!

I then proceeded to buy a familiar spirit (CC) and made an Old Fashioned. Which is brilliant. Very tasty, would drink again.

I think I have learnt that Campari and Vermouth both suck. A lot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Please tell me that CC doesn't stand for Canadian Club, because if it does, I think I found your problem.

Also did you seriously just say Vermouth sucked, but earlier in the thread said you loved Martini's?

Yes, Canadian Club. No, it's not the best spirit by a long shot but it was one of the better choices at the local store and I didn't want to pay for something better if I'm using it in Old Fashioneds when I don't even know if I'd like them. Also, I'd drink it straight but I was buying to share and everyone else drinks it with copious amounts of Coke, so no, I didn't feel like buying something nice for it to be used by that.

I thought my quote earlier was that I said Gimlets were better Gin cocktails than Martinis? Not that Martinis are bad, but the Vermouth:Spirit ratio is vastly different in a Martini that the Vermouth is just a slight tang really. But the amounts used in the Negroni I was not a fan. I guess I could have reduced it but that would have left me with Campari and Gin, not exactly tasty. But yeah, I guess saying Vermouth sucks is an exaggeration as I've had it in other things that weren't so terrible. I don't know, it's very confusing to me. All I know is that they weren't nice drinks.

angor posted:

I think you don't like the Negroni and Americano because of the bitter Campari, and not the vermouth. Try a sweet/perfect manhattan and see if you like that. That'll rule out the vermouth.

Perhaps. How long does Vermouth stay good for if opened? I left it at my friend's place and probably won't be there for another week. Actually, scratch that, I won't be there for a while, so I guess a new bottle is to be bought? They're only like $12 for a litre (Who the gently caress drinks a litre of this stuff?) so whatever. I will try a Manhattan. I'm relying on you guys to not lead me wrong, cause you all know way more than I do. I'm just following my nose (And tongue).

Sorry for words.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Long reply ahoy!

Butch Cassidy posted:

Buy 375 ml. bottles of vermouth, even if you have to get Martini or Stock rather than fancier vermouth, and keep them in the fridge once open. They will still last a good many drinks and your wallet won't hate you for constantly wasting half bottles like you do now. I generally try to use mine within two or three weeks. And dry vermouth is great for deglazing pans when it is a little past its prime for cocktails.
The smallest I can find is 750mL unfortunately. Nowhere around here stocks Vermouth and if they do it tends to be 1L bottles.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Do you like black coffee/tea and stupidly dark chocolate? Campari is very bitter and it helps to ease into it if your palate is not already set for bitter. Try a barspoon in a gin and tonic to start getting a feel for the flavor and work up from there. Pick up some Fernet Branca to mix with Coke like the Argentinians to help, as well and you may appreciate Fernet's mint-forward flavor. And remember that Campari is heavily sweetened to make it palatable at all and has strong flavor to begin with. A strong gin with Campari and already potent sweet vermouth can be a cloying herbal/sweet/bitter bomb to an un-prepared palate.

No shame in genuinely not liking Campari, but try using it in dashes at first and let your own taste buds guide you from there.
I actually drink my tea and coffee black and gorge myself on super dark chocolate so bitter things aren't a problem for me. I also love orange, Peychaud's and Angostura bitters so it being bitters isn't the problem. I think it may be the proportions. Any drink suggestions for using tiny amounts of Campari?

rxcowboy posted:

Ahhhh I think I solved the problem. If you are paying 12 bucks for a liter you either live on heaven or you are buying poo poo vermouth. I live in a state with really cheap booze, and my Noilly Pratt was nine bucks, Martini and Rossi is about 12. You absolutely can not buy cheap vermouth because it will ruin anything it touches.
Is Martini and Cinzano no good? I can get a hold of Dry Noilly Prat but not the sweet one seemingly. Is it worth $10 more to get NP? If it is I'll buy it because gently caress it, I might as well judge it at it's best.

rxcowboy posted:

Edit: Never buy Cc. Ever. You want cheap but good? My go to is Evan Williams Black Label. 18 dollars for 1.75 liters. Good for mixing, a little simple for sipping but still perfectly drinkable neat.
Evan William's is only available about a half hour to 45 minutes away, and it's AU$34 for 700mL. So, the same as CC. I might have to pick some up when I'm in the area. You guys were right about Mount Gay, so why the hell not.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Guys. Guys. I have come to a revelation. I actually don't mind Campari now.

I had a bottle of it sitting on my shelf after the last fiasco where I was decidedly against it. But I had a tiny bit of Beefeater left and figured, "What the hell, I'll give it another shot."

So I looked up some recipes for Campari and saw the obviously titled Gin and Campari. Although it calls for equal parts Gin and Campari I decided I'm too much of a pansy to drink that. But I do love me some Gin. So I made a tiny taste test cocktail.

10mL Campari
30mL Gin
40mL Ice water
Shake with ice, strain into cocktail glass.

I need the water because I am a sissy who prefers slightly less boozey tasting cocktails. My test resulted in a veritably "okay" cocktail. I'm no fan of lots of Campari (People drink it straight? The hell?) but that little bit of earthy bitters taste is nice. My only wish is if I had tonic water to swap for the water. I think that'd be a winning drink to me.

Anyone else have suggestions? I'm slowly opening up to Campari in a drink. Did I butcher a classic? Let me know!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Abyssal Lurker posted:

A drink with campari plus wuss? I heartily recommend the "Rome with a view":

1 oz campari
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz lime
.75 oz simple syrup

Shake with ice, strain into highball glass with ice, top with soda water.

Cavenagh posted:

My favourite Campari cocktail , aside from the Negroni, is the Bicyclette, apparently so named because it was drunk by elderly Italian men who would then wobble home on their bicycles. It's dead simple too.

2 Parts Campari
1 1/2 Parts chilled White Wine (I like dry)
Twist of lemon.

Drink, go for a ride and drink some more.

I will have to try these two plus another attempt at a Negroni. Gotta find something to use this bottle with!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have basically a full bottle of Kraken. I like me some Kraken but have found it too strong neat/on the rocks. What are some awesome, preferably simple, cocktails I can make besides a Dark and Stormy? I can pick up mixers but would prefer not to buy a bunch of liquor to mix with.

Also, Black Russians are the best cocktails as far as I'm concerned. I was converted after I started drinking them the traditional way rather than the typical Australian way with a tonne of coke. They taste so good but they can get you hosed up unexpectedly. They also completely wreck my calorie counting :/

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What's everyone's favourite cocktails with coffee? I've been experimenting with different combinations and so far my favourite is a 3:3:1 combination of Gold Rum (I was out of White so I used Mount Gay Eclipse), black coffee (Just coffee and water) and Illyquore coffee liqueur (To sweeten it slightly). I like the occasional cocktail with the 10 kilograms of sugar and cream (Who doesn't right?) but I don't really want to have a sundae, I'd much rather a slightly bitter, strong coffee tasting drink. Anything else on those lines? I've subbed the Rum for Vodka (And Spiced Rum [Kraken] too) and they were good as well. I don't have a huge bar right now but I'm down to buy some needed ingredients.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I posted ages ago about hating Campari, too. I found that the best way to ease myself in was to really offset the bitterness with not sweetness, but sour. So lots of fresh citrus, basically. The recipe I drank for a while was a shot of Campari, half a fresh squeezed lime, half a squeezed orange and top with a bit of soda water. Maybe that's blasphemy but that's how I started to enjoy it because the bitterness of Campari and the sour juice balanced nicely. I used less and less soda water over time and then eventually used less juice until now when I happily drink Campari on ice.

The other thing that helped was that Campari is definitely a sipper. Now, you might be thinking "Of course it is, who wouldn't just sip it?!" but after getting used to drinks like a Caiparinha or Black Russian or whatever, that you can drink immensely quickly, it was a definite difference. Everyone I've introduced Camapri to made the same mistake. I made Negronis and everyone took giant mouthfuls. These are people that err on the side of "super sweet" (Toblerone cocktails, cream based drinks, etc) or "still sweet" (Rum and shitloads of Coke, a bit of Vodka and loads of lemonade, etc). You might be more used to Sidecars or what have you but I'd still class them as more quaffable than a Negroni or other heavy-on-the-bitters drink.

So yeah, make sure you're sipping, and try to add some sour. That's what worked for me. Which reminds me that I need a new bottle of it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How is Aperol anyway? I went to a party the other day and I felt like having a little sipping drink rather than A DRINK as is normally wont, I found myself in front of the aperitif section mainly because of the recent discussion. I ended up grabbing a fresh bottle of Campari but the other contender was Aperol or Dubonnet. Dubonnet is more wine-y right? And Aperol is just a fruitier, less bitter Campari? That's what I've gathered from reading stuff online. I want to pick up some Aperol for mixing at some stage but as I ration my alcohol purchases for the most part I can't really justify a bottle of something that is basically Campari, but less, when I already have Campari.

Another question I have is that now I'm rebuilding my bar I'm looking to grab the essential spirits along with good liqueurs. First on my list are Gin and Cointreau. But the liquor store (Dan Murphy's for Australians) is doing this thing where you can get harder to find stuff delivered for free. Given I'm already used to paying AU$50 for a bottle of whatever, and the prices for these are the same, I'm looking at spreading out and getting some weirder stuff. Specifically from Vedrenne. They do things like Kiwi liqueur and, most importantly, rose liqueur. I love rose. It smells awesome and tastes awesome in pretty much every application I've had it in. But I can't find any recipes for rose liqueurs or rose anything in general. Maybe a few with rose water drops but nothing rose centered. So good idea to grab a bottle I can't taste but love the (potential) flavour of?

While I'm at it, I might as well ask you guys to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with my bar. Essentially I'm starting from scratch again. I have no spirits and way too many liqueurs. I have:
- Crème de Menthe
- Crème de Banane
- Crème de Caçao (Both white and brown!)
- Parfait Amour
- Pama (Pomegranate liqueur)
- Frangelico
- Campari

You can kinda guess what the themes were. "Oh, I've never had a Grasshopper and the crèmes are cheap", "What about banana and chocolate?", and so on, combined with not actually wanting to get even tipsy due to sporadic work schedules and the like. My goals for the next few buys are (In no specific order):
- Gin (Either Beefeater or Sapphire)
- Vodka (Skyy probably)
- Cointreau
- Rum (Probably white to start, most like Mount Gay Silver)

Am I heading in the right direction? I'm aiming to hit a lot of flavours this time. I have an idea for a Gin, Pama, Parfait Amour and Cointreau cocktail that's been burning in my mind, plus I love Gin and drink it on the rocks. Vodka, yeah. Just something to add to a Grasshopper or Chocolate Banana thingy or whatever to add volume/alcohol. Cointreau, 'cause it's a classic and tastes great with nearly everything. Rum, because rum. Any others I should re-prioritize for?

Thanks thread.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember that post! I think it should go in the OP along with the "build a bar" post.

In regards to vodka, I don't trust anything low-shelf. I had Red Square once, and it was horrible. I usually go Standard or Skyy. Tasteless, yeah, but I only ever use them in drinks that have a bunch of flavours I don't want to compete with a flavourful base spirit (Rum, gin, whatever). You know the type, heavy on the liqueurs. I think it's nice to have vodka around for those occasions. Gin is way better in more classic drinks like Martinis, or anything you actually want to taste the spirit in. I think it's a matter of the context of the drink. Vodka has it's place.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My bar is forming! I grabbed both vodka and gin, along with Cointreau and Aperol.

Aperol is an interesting beast. When I brought Campari to a party everyone agreed it smelled and tasted like "washing detergent". Weirdly, I think the descriptions of Aperol I've read are spot on. It really is Campari-like, but with way less bitterness, way more sweetness, and a lot of orange flavour. I'm liking it a lot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like Martinis and Manhattans but I can't seem to get a grip on Aviations. I used the IBA specified method because I haven't got any Creme de Violette/Yvette. I think it's the Maraschino I'm not too fond of. And now I have a huge bottle of it. Any suggestions for cocktails to ease me into Maraschino when I get my stuff back? I took my entire collection to a friend's place for a cocktail night and reportedly it's all still fairly there minus a couple things I'm not worried about or can easily replace (Vodka, Irish cream, Creme de Menthe, etc).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I really want to try a Last Word and other Chartreuse cocktails but the green one runs $75 here. Even the yellow, if you can find it, goes for $60. Is it really that great? I'm willing to shell out for it once I restock my essentials, but I'm just iffy on blowing $75 on something I may or may not like. Unfortunately there's no good bars near me to try it first either.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have experienced a lack of alcohol in my house over Christmas. Poor forethought has limited me to some Gin and Vermouth, and I've not been bothered to get anything else as Christmas has drained my wallet. Of course, this means I have had many Martinis. This is not a bad thing.

Also, 3:1 fo' life.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was talking to a friend lately and mentioned I was drinking mainly Martinis, then remarked I always wanted to try Lillet but at AU$40 it was a tad too expensive to be an impulse buy. He treated me to a bottle as a late Christmas present. By itself it's a nice dessert style wine, however it turns out I love it in a "Martini". It's not a real Martini I know, but a Lillet Martini tastes great and without Vodka is a poor man's Vesper. I found a bit of Aperol tonight too, and have thoroughly been enjoying what I found out is a "Cheeky Negroni". It's supposed to be 1:1:1 but I find 2oz Gin, 1oz Aperol and 1oz Lillet is really, really nice. A strong drink but the Aperol gives it the slight bitterness (I imagine Campari would be too bitter for a drink like this) and the Lillet really brings a freshness. Highly recommended. My only regret is that Lillet has such a short (By alcohol standards) shelf life.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Aside from Aviations what are some good simple cocktails that call for Maraschino? I have a full bottle and although I don't hate it I'm not super fond of it right now either. Any good ones to ease me into it? Going straight up for it on the rocks or neat isn't going to do it for me.

Also loving the Campari. I'm almost out of my bottle although I have been having it with ice.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I drink Martinezes and Manhattens all the time but I don't think I've ever had Maraschino in one, I'll super have to try one. I do like a good Daiquiri too.

Green Chartreuse has always been up on my list but the cost of one bottle (AU$75 here, AU$60 for the Yellow) is a bit of an obstacle. I'm sure I'll love it, but it's just that upfront cost. Can anyone give me taste descriptors for it that aren't just "herbs"? Like, is it minty, or more like cilantro, or maybe celery or whatever? Spicy? I always see people talking about it but no-one seems to actual say what it tastes like relevant to actual things I may have tasted. I wouldn't even have a clue about where to find Boomska here.

On a related note, what's the deal with Pernod and Ricard? Pernod is absinthe-not-absinthe? Is it worth it? Ricard is described as "a slight 'sea-side' flavour is imparted by the salt spray that licks the barrels." which tells me absolutely nothing. Is it like the whole Aperol/Campari thing where they are both of the same flavour profile but one is sweeter/stronger/whatever?

And a final note, Vespers are tasty, tasty drinks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love Campari with a splash of soda. It's funy, I really hated Campari when I first had it. I've since gone through about three bottles of the stuff.

If you want something not as biter go for some Aperol. It was a winner for my friends who can't stand Campari.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Bringing this back for a few questions wise goons can hopefully answer.

My first love in liquor is Gin. I've got nothing in my bar (I was avoiding alcohol for caloric reasons the past two/three months) except an almost full bottle of Marischino, lots of Creme de Menthe (Seriously, 1.5 bottles. I have no idea where it came from) and some Rose Liqueur (I'm taking it easy on that as it's pricey and I am head over heels for rose flavoured things). I have been, for a while, wanting a really nice Martini, or a Vesper. So easy done, right? Grab some Gin, Lillet or Vermouth and some Vodka.

However, I've been perusing this though and two cocktails I've never had but caught my eye was the Tuxedo and the Casino. They look like old school variants of the Martini, kind of. First question: What's the opinion on them? If I love Martinis and Vespers will I love these?

I'd have to pick up some Orange Bitters on top of the Vermouth, Gin, Lillet and Vodka, would it be worth buying Absinthe for the 1/4 tsp for the Tuxedo? I take it that is an integral part, correct?

Lastly, what else can I make in the same vein as a Martini that will give me some variation? That dry but palatable, heavy-on-the-Gin flavour. I'm all open for suggestions.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Okay, I'll definitely grab the Orange Bitters. With Old Tom the only one I could reasonably grab (As in, not have to travel hours to get to a place that stocks it) is Hayman's. Is that any good? With the Dolin I was originally going to grab Noilly Prat Dry for Vermouth. Would Dolin Blanc be a good substitute (I can only get Blanc, not Dry) or should I add that on top? I do want to try Plymouth but it is quite pricey (AU$70). I typically have my Martini as 3:1, or 2:1 if I'm feeling Vermouthy. I've had a Martinez before, loved it, so that's on the list now, which adds Sweet Vermouth.

So as a run down I have Maraschino. What I want to get:
Orange Bitters
Lillet Blanc
Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth / Dolin Blanc?
Martini Rosso Vermouth (Or an easy to get substitute?)
Beefeater Gin
Russian Standard Vodka
Pernod (I know I love Pernod, so it's not a stretch to grab a bottle of it)

And possibly:
Old Tom Gin
Plymouth Gin

This is to make: Martini, Tuxedo, Casino, Vesper, Martinez. Anything else I'm sorely missing? What else could I do with this lot? I know basics, like get some Whisky and make a Manhattan, etc. It's climbing up a bit in terms of price and how much to grab at once, but I figure it can be my Christmas present to myself!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Right, so I think I might skip it in that case. Where I live sucks for anything that's not cheap booze, so Dolin has to be ordered in. So I might pick it up after I grab everything needed for the rest of the drinks. You guys are super helpful, thanks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Dolin is $15-16 a bottle in DC, where liquor is generally expensive. It is the definition of cheap booze.

It's AU$30 here, same price as Noilly Prat. I can pick it up but like I said, it needs to be ordered in. I don't think you quite understand how little poo poo I can easily get in my area. Anything that's not Bundy Rum or huge brand spirits (Jameson et al) has to be ordered in, if I can even get it. For some reason they'll order in Dolin Blanc, but refuse to do Dolin Dry. I don't loving know. Having said that, a bottle of Dolin won't exactly kill me budget, so I can probably chuck it on the list.

Lokee posted:

Highly recommend going with a barrel aged old tom, then again this is from a whiskey drinker so make of that what you will.
Related to the above, I can get Hayman's Old Tom easily, that's it. I'm not sure if it's aged or not.

The only place local to me that has any sort of range is Dan Murphy's, a huge chain. Other than that it's little liquor stores that stock premixes and standards like the aforementioned Bundy. Dan Murphy's has some neat stuff you can order, but if they don't have it I'm basically poo poo out of luck.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

apparently pre-prohibition martinis included simple syrup, so I feel completely justified.

What. I'm not doubting you but this is genuinely the first time I've heard this. It seems like a pre-prohibition thing, but I never even considered simple syrup because I'd think it would totally wreck the balance. I know a Martinez has sweet vermouth though?

So many Martinis to try, so little booze available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Lillet isn't vermouth, get Dolin dry.

Correct, but a Lillet Martini is a thing to try. It's definitely on the sweeter side of a Martini but I do love them. I recommend a higher Gin ratio though. Like 2:1 Gin:Lillet. It's a refreshing drink.