Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just bought a 3 litre punchbowl and am planning to christen it by making sangria. What ratio should I use to make sure it's not too strong / weak? I'm guessing it's probably 1/3 wine and 2/3 everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kenning posted:

Make Jeffrey Morgenthaler's sangria. Mr. Morgenthaler is a boss.

Thanks for the recommendations but sangriasangrita.

I will probably try making both those drinks at some point in the near future though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Does anyone have any experience using matcha powder in cocktails? I'm in the mood for some asian-inspired drinks and am not sure what flavours to mix it with.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I'm hosting a party for a bunch of girls who love drinking but don't like anything too strong so I thought I'd make a sweet-ish punch that's preferably not too heavy. So far I was thinking some variation on vodka, Malibu and pineappple juice but I'd love some suggestions to make it more exciting.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Very Strange Things posted:

On the off chance that Kenning doesn't show up to tell you all about punch and how terrible your punch sounds, your punch sounds terrible.

Make a nice champagne punch. What is your budget? The better, more expensive ingredients are in parentheses.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of pineapple syrup so I'll probably go with your punch idea.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Thanks for the recipes. If I can find orange blossom water I will do some test runs this weekend and see how everything tastes.

The biggest problem I face making big serves of punch is that I live in Australia and am paying $30-$40 for a fifth of low-end gin or vodka so anything that involves more than two or three ingredients quickly becomes prohibitively expensive. Especially if I'm trying to make enough for a dozen people :(

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Thanks for the sympathy. It's terrible being a (broke) booze enthusiast in Australia but at least I can read this thread and live vicariously through you guys :allears:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kenning posted:

That's why you should make my punch. If those are your prices, this is as cheap as you're gonna get. Also sorry that you're living in hell :(

Just wanted to check in and say that I made your punch (using Tanqueray gin) and it's absolutely delicious :cheers: This will definitely be a regular drink for me through summer.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
It depends how many glasses of punch I've had.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kenning posted:

Corpse Reviver

Kenning posted:

Obituary Cocktail

I love absinthe and these all sound amazing. Can I have the recipes, please?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Steve Yun posted:

Half the fun of cocktails is in the name. I bought a bartending book and laughed my rear end off just scanning through the titles.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for cocktails with ridiculous names. Anything like a zombie or a brain destroyer, etc will suck me in with no effort.

I also bought an old cocktail book recently (published in the late 90s but probably not updated since the 70s) and the cocktails are all hilariously pedestrian but have wildly imaginative names. Each section (vodka, gin, brandy, etc) is pretty much the same recipes but with the main ingredient changed as appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I'm having some friends over on the weekend and want to make some punch or cocktails for them. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to spend on alcohol this week and the only liquor I have at home is a bottle of Teeling Poitin (unaged Irish whiskey) and a bottle of maple vodka.

Luckily the Poitin is 60%ABV and tastes a bit like tequila so I was wondering if there's anything cool I could make with that to share around the party?