Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Jahoodie posted:

There are always pretty decent and huge punch bowls at thrift stores I go to. Now I know why they get so big.

I think a lot more people used to have punch bowls than now, maybe those are what you're finding in thrift stores. I seem to recall a lot of people having them in the 70s (I was just a kid). Changes in entertaining habits, more DIY and fewer bottles and cans served then.

I have to admit my first reaction to an unknown punch would probably be "what sort of Hawaiian Punch mix is this" but if I found out it had cognac and Grand Marnier and an iceberg in it that attitude would change PDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Booties posted:

I also just got a new place and need to build up my bar. What are some good liquers and cordials?

I guess it depends on what you're going to mix, but you're probably going to want an orange liquer of some sort (Cointreau, etc), and a coffee liquer is pretty useful (Black/White Russians etc).

Rusty Nails are indeed sufficient cause to have Drambuie around.

I seem to see St Germain ads freaking everywhere all of a sudden. Is it a Thing now? What's it being mixed into?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

King Hotpants posted:

I'm mostly done building my bar - I've been following the 12 Bottle Bar list to start and expanding where it felt appropriate. However, I bought Plymouth gin, mixed up an Aviation, and remembered that I Don't Like Gin.

I want to like gin, though. What's a good way for me to ease into gin? As I said, I own a bottle of Plymouth, but if I really need to taste something else in order to "get it" I will seek it out.

That's interesting, I used to not like gin either, but I found Plymouth to be more approachable than others, and its still mostly what I use.

I just started with a basic gin-and-tonic, which will dilute the gin and mellow the taste more than an Aviation will, and there won't be any confusion about other flavors. Put as much tonic and ice in as you like, and work towards the "right" ratio.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Thoht posted:

I like about 3:1 gin:vermouth, a dash of orange bitters, shaken, with a lemon twist.

That's pretty close to what I mix. I use Plymouth's gin but I don't really have a preferred vermouth yet, I'm still trying different stuff out.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

King Hotpants posted:

I love Rittenhouse rye. I also love how much it costs, which is "almost nothing." Something this tasty shouldn't cost $22. It just shouldn't.

If you are looking for rye cocktails that will make you love rye, you really can't go wrong with a classic Old Fashioned. 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of simple syrup, 2-4 dashes angostura, 2 oz. Rittenhouse, lemon or orange twist, ice if you like. It allows you to actually taste the spirit you're drinking without just drinking straight hooch. It's what I make when I want a drink and don't want to think too hard about what to make, which is most of the time.

e: I don't think the Old Fashioned is going to remind you of tiki drinks or gin cocktails, but it might scratch your Scotch itch in a similar way.

The classic Old Fashioned works for lots of whiskeys.

For some irritating reason Rittenhouse has been hard for me to find (when I've had it, it rules), but Old Overholt works pretty well, too. I haven't tried Bulleit but I like their bourbon.