Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A gimlet is one of my favorite gin cocktails (although I'm a philistine and use Rose's at home).

Don't feel like a philistine! It's a whole tradition as described by Raymond Chandler in The Long Goodbye, https://tohaveandhaveanother.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/have-a-gimlet-tonight-to-honor-raymond-chandler/.

quote:

As for Chandler, the Gimlet practically steals the show in the Chandler’s 1953 classic The Long Goodbye. The drink plays an integral role in the relationship between Marlowe and his tragic friend, Terry Lennox:

“We sat in a corner of the bar at Victor’s and drank gimlets. “They don’t know how to make them here,” he said. “What they call a gimlet is just some lime or lemon juice with a dash of sugar and bitters. A real gimlet is half gin and half Rose’s Lime Juice and nothing else. It beats martinis hollow.”

Lennox was as particular about his bars as his drinks.

“I like bars just after they open for the evening. When the air inside is still cool and clean and everything is shiny and the barkeep is giving himself that last look in the mirror to see if his tie is straight and his hair is smooth. I like the neat bottles on the bar back and the lovely shining glasses and the anticipation. I like to watch the man mix the first one of the evening and put it down on a crisp mat and put the little folded napkin beside it. I like to taste it slowly. The first quiet drink of the evening in a quiet bar – that’s wonderful.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've made it before and wouldn't really again. Fun to do once perhaps but for me at least the straining gets old quick and I don't go through enough of the stuff to justify the time spent. YMMV of course depending on your circumstances, but unless you anticipate making a lot at once and using it up, I wouldn't worry too much.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I've made the SE recipe once and it was great but I've never tried a commercial version so I can't really compare and say if it was worth it.

If anyone ever has issues with straining I always mention $5-$10 nut milk bags. Much finer than cheap cheese cloth, infinitely reusable, strong enough you can squeeze if something is going too slowly. I use mine ~twice a month for ricotta, but random recipes like orgeat always pop up and I'm glad to have it.

Do you wash it in the dishwasher? the laundry? or are they not reusable.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any fun recipes that use pineapple syrup? I made some on a lark to use up some pineapple and want to find some fun things to do with other than just old fashioneds.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenning posted:

If you've got an event coming up you could make a Gowanus Club Gin Punch!

Ooh that does look really nice. I might even create an event as an excuse to make that punch.

ColHannibal posted:

Use with fresh lime and tequila for a nice pineapple margarita.

Bonus points if you char some pineapple as a garnish.

Great idea!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenning posted:

Yeah Limmer's will be good for that. I nearly always use New Amsterdam for the gin, which is really mellow and tasty.

I just remembered one more punch you could do that's pretty much in that budget as well!

Gowanus Club Gin Punch

1 liter gin
1 liter green tea
8 oz. lemon juice
4 oz. pineapple syrup*
2 oz. white sugar
1 oz. Chartreuse (or other potent liqueur)
1 liter soda water

Muddle the peels of 3 lemons in the sugar and let sit for, again, 1-6 hours. Dissolve with the lemon juice and tea (4 bags or 4 tsp loose, steeped for 3-5 minutes, then chilled), then strain out the peels. Add the pineapple syrup, the gin, and the Chartreuse, stir well, then add the chilled soda water, stirring gently to combine, before slipping in the ice block.

*Made pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 rich turbinado/demerara syrup, then allowing it to cool before adding 1 whole cored, cleaned, and chopped pineapple. Let it steep for 24 hours, then strain through cheesecloth, squeezing to get all the good pineapple flavor out.

If you don't have Chartreuse you can use pretty much any other liqueur. Particularly good choices include maraschino, Benedictine, apricot brandy, creme de violette, pimento dram, or even just an ounce of your favorite bitters.

Really great! And a hit with my coworkers, a number of whom 'don't drink gin'

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm more of a Camparty guy.

What are some good absinthe cocktails that aren't just a rinse? (I've also noticed a lot of absinthe cocktail recipes floating around just have way too much going on--like a spoonful of absinthe and a liqueur and a fortified wine and bitters.

Have you had an absinthe frappe? It's really good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd recently juiced a honeydew and freeze distilled the juice down and holy poo poo is it awesome.

Interesting, I've never heard of that for stuff that doesn't contain alcohol, is the sugar concentration high enough that you get a separation between syrup and water to remove?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rotten Cookies posted:

The juice concentrate drips out/thaws first leaving behind some ice, yeah. 6 liters of watermelon juice concentrated down to 2 liters. 1 honeydew gave me about half a liter of concentrate. I toyed around with the idea of giving it another round of freeze distillation, but gently caress it, it was God drat delicious, and didn't survive to see another round of freezing.

Also, whoever recommended nut milk bags as reusable cheese cloth filters, you are awesome and they work a drat treat for this sort of thing.

That's awesome I should try that. Are you just blending then straining or do you have a more indepth/advanced juicer?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I bought Old Grandad bonded and have so far been disappointed. I have fond memories of regular Old Grandad, and saw some decent reviews, but so far it's come across as super light, more like a blended scotch than a bourbon. It's really quite odd. Not sure if I'm the problem, will give it a few days, but what a weird feeling.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

The granddad you should have bought is the 114

Send me some and I'll compare/contrast.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days. Are there any bars I should try to visit while I'm there?

I usually go to Rhumbar when I'm in Vegas, if you can sit outside it's a beautiful experience of being semi-secluded right off the strip. The cocktails aren't terrible either, though it's not a place I'd recommend directly for the quality.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Maybe a dumb question but would lemon extract work in the smaller quantities you're talking about?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Dave Arnold's book Liquid Intelligence is amazing for his work on acids, dilution, nitro muddling, and a whole bunch of other really cool ideas. If you ever get a chance the frozen vermouth duo is awesome.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Friday cocktail chat, anyone doing anything fun tonight? I'm definitely excited for a cocktail after this week, but not sure what yet so would like inspiration 🙂

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The story behind that horrible old-fashioned video, yes you know the one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Cognac wise I tend to use Maison Rouge. It's definitely smooth, but hasn't been too expensive by me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

But have you considered this?

Perfect to mix into Jack Rose's with Rose's syrup! ;)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a good pisco punch recipe? It's a great spirit and I'd love to do more than a sour with it, plus I know the Bay area haa a special relationship with pisco punch.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bitter Mai Tai

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

I had this at a restaurant that had it listed as a Mai Negroni. If you like those two drinks this might blow you away. It's bitter but cut with that orgeat, it's a great discovery for me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to pour it into a tall glass that looks like a totem pole, if the totem is Boba Fett.

This is a total newbie question: I'm batching Aviations for a party this weekend, and I've never really done it before. (I've made punch, but the fruit juice provided all the "weak" I needed.) I have no idea how much to dilute.

The easiest way is to make one to your specifications, weigh the drink before you add ice, add ice, stir/shake, then remove the ice and weigh to get how much ice you've added. (It's what Dave Arnold of Liquid Intelligence recommends). Maggie Hoffman also suggests that but then gives the rule of thumb of 17 and 25%

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made it before and the straining is the worst part (that was before I found out about those nut milk bags thanks to this thread, so it could be substantially easier were I to give it another go).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

This is the second time in recent memory that a process has suddenly required me to measure by weight instead of volume when that isn't the norm. (I made gravlax.) I guess I need to get a food scale.

TBH I find myself using my scale a lot more often than I expected when I bought it. If you keep it in a handy place it's all sorts of useful, they aren't that expensive, just don't keep it hidden and I've found it easier than volume measurements in a lot of recipes!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mainly in front of my mirror, waving a cocktail around as I make excellent points.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Out of curiosity - has anyone here made their own bitters (or g&t tonic for that matter)? Care to share how worthwhile the project and final result seemed to you?

I found a (digital) olde-timey book with recipes for creating angorusta bitters, orange bitters etc. Alongside patent medicines (10-12 grains white arsenic + 12 grains opium gum + something else will cure intermittent convulsions doncha know) and 6000 other things. I suspect that cocktail-adjacent technology has probably evolved but seems like an interesting project... The bitters, not the opium-arsenic.

Yes and it's great! I did a bunch of small batches and then mixed and matched, it was fun and was a great gift. I also did tonic but you have to be very careful to both strain all the cinchona solids out AND not drink a bunch in one sitting and you can get cinchonism if you're not careful.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bar orchard was one of our favorite experiences in Japan. The couple who own it are amazing and the drinks were some of the best I've had. Seriously check them out. It's based off of fruit so you order liquor, strength, and fruit and they make you something. Wonderful. Benfiddich was also great, agreed on the go at opening. There's a lot of fun places do don't be afraid to explore.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do you even know how many people have died over access to drinkable water? Personally, I don't partake out of a sense of moral outrage.

I know you're being flip but that's exactly why it's good to avoid Nestle. Like the point isn't avoid rum, it's maybe expect the makers of a product to not kill 20k people or have them destroy a regions drinking water.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I picked up Sorghum & Sassafras bitters and they are very cool. Made a variation on a Manhattan Transfer with them and bourbon and black tea tincture.

Pandemic has been bad, but being home has given me time to experiment and start actually building my own recipes. I have a couple good ones if anyone wants to see them.

I think you know we do :)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My contribution to cocktail creation is a ginger rig.

2 parts cognac
1 part Meyer lemon
.75 parts ginger/honey syrup
.5 parts orange Curacao

Drinks similar to a sidecar hence the name, but I think the ginger really adds a nice background flavor.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It depends on what you're looking for really. Something like a Ramos can take a while to come together properly I've found. For more normal foam/egg white drinks I will dry shake for a few minutes and then do teh Dave Arnold large cube/smaller cubes and that works well for me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a Cognac that's not from the big 4, that's reasonably available from liquor/specialty stores, and is.. sort of inexpensive? I'm not sure what price range Cognac runs, but I'm thinking like a the cognac equivalent of Bulleit. I'm not sure specifically what Cognac I'm into or are looking for and am mainly going to fill out a cabinet for more cocktail options.

I always get Maison Rouge when I want something to mix that's decent and it's about 25 bucks by me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why not? I don't hate it, it's similar to an amaro which I like, though sweeter than most, and it can be a fun thing to drink with friends.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've run out of vermouth, don't want to shake a cocktail as it'll disturb my partner who's asleep. Anyone have fun stirred cocktails that don't require vermouth? I've a decent bar available.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Following up on that, now that I'm gonna rebuy more vermouth what's your favorites? I generally get either Dolin or Noilly Prat, but have enjoyed Carpano Antica, just not at the 35 bucks a bottle I would usually have to pay. Are blanc vermouths worth while? What do you do with them outside of a white negroni?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like Dolin and Noilly Prat in my martinis. I tend to go with gins that are more juniper forward than Hendricks, so I can't say for sure it'll be perfect, but they're solid choices and shouldn't be too hard to find. My local grocery store carries Dolin for instance.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Personally I can definitely tell the difference of oxidation straight but agreed that it's never jumped out strongly on a cocktail.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Living up to it's name I guess.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If you want a really surprising drink, here's one my partner made up years ago that she's just sharing with me now. I wish I'd known about it longer! It really straddles that line between sweet and earthy.

1 oz beet gin (soak a shredded beet in 750ml of gin)
1 oz fernet branca
1 oz lime juice
.75 oz orgeat
.25 oz simple

If you'd like you can do beet simple syrup instead, if you do that make the orgeat/simple ratio 50/50.

Still needs a name too so if you have any fun ideas we're open!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I used tanqueray and it was fantastic. Using Hendricks or something soft would likely get lost, I think you need the structure for a London style. To be fair I feel that way about most gin applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I did an infusion just overnight. I didn't do a beet simple but was told by my partner that the effect was quite similar with a beet simple. She said she was surprised at how much of the same drink it was when we did the beet infusion.