Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Klauser posted:

I think you'll get lots of opinions on this. This is how I make it:

2oz tequila
1 1/2oz lime juice
1oz Cointreau
Splash simple syrup (Agave would be fine here)
pinch of salt

I think any drink with tequila in it tastes better with a pinch of salt, also I hate any drink with stuff on the rim, so I do this instead.

On that note, Dale Degroff makes a good point: when you salt a margarita glass, make sure and salt only the outside of the glass for tasting, not the entire rim. Take a slice of lime, rub it on the outside of the rim only and turn the glass in a small pile of kosher salt.

I recently got into cocktails/mixology and I can suggest the Jack Rose and Pegu Club as prohibition-style cocktails that are sure to please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

I like turtles posted:

Ended up going with a 750ml bottle of white rum, 750ml bottle of midori, 2oz of Campari, 4 oz of Blue curacao. Will hit it with some lime juice and soda to bring the volume up/abv down. Is fairly decent right now. Good color too. Sweet side is fine, painfully sweet drinks are popular with most of the expected attendees.

It's primarily a low key geek (not greek) post college party. There was talk of having a Doctor Who marathon.

lol

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Very Strange Things posted:

I am pretty sure that any American sour mash whiskey that's made mostly from corn and aged in new barrels is bourbon. Also, it says bourbon right on the bottle.
I bought a bottle of their single barrel bourbon, that costs as much as Makers and I didn't like it as much in a cocktail. It tasted a lot like Jameson's actually, and I enjoyed it with a couple ice cubes.

I really want to try rye, but the only rye I've found locally is Jim Beam rye and I assume it sucks.

Sazarec's ryes have been getting a lot of good publicity lately, I picked up a bottle at my local store for my first rye experience.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
I managed to convince one of the bartenders at Anvil of Houston, TX to provide me with their recipe for the Golden Gate Swizzle which is one of my favorite drinks:

1.5oz Fernet Branca
0.75oz Orgeat
1oz Lemon Juice
2 Barspoons JDT Falernum
6 Dashes Angostura Orange
4 Dashes Angostura

Combine and swizzle w/ crushed ice in Collins glass.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Klauser posted:

Just made this a little while ago, thanks so much for posting it.

I do not like Fernet that much. While I don't think I will ever get into drinking it straight, I've been looking for drinks that use it. This is the first one I've enjoyed, and I will be making it again in the future.

You're welcome, just trying to share the wealth!

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
What are your favorite gins?

I just picked up a bottle of Bluecoat (750mL for $23), a bottle of Hayman's Old Tom (was thinking about Ransom but I think Hayman's will be more versatile for mixing) and a bottle of Dry Fly. DrinkupNY won't ship to TX, but luckily I have a friend in NY that will forward the package to me :)

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Joe Friday posted:

I've got Ransom and Dry Fly in my cabinet right now. I also make my own gin sometimes too which I keep in a Mason jar and take sips from.

How do you like the Ransom? I'm kind of regretting not grabbing it but I can't justify having 4 different gins right now.

Also, I just picked up a bottle of Neisson Rhum Agricole and holy poo poo, holy poo poo. This r(h)um will make anyone rethink rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
Speaking of orgeat, can anyone recommend a good of-the-shelf one, or perhaps a recipe for making it?