Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just in the past year I've been trying to set up a decent home bar, and the really annoying thing is that here in Virginia, all liquor has to be sold through ABC stores. The selection is not bad except when it comes to liqueurs. For many liqueurs there will only be a couple of options, and often it's bottom-shelf stuff with a lot of artificial flavouring. What brands do you recommend for common liqueurs like creme liqueurs? I'm planning to order some genuine Curacao de Curacao; are there places to buy online that you favour above others?

Also, do you have an opinion on Sirops de Monin? I am thinking about ordering several of their bottles so my cabinet can be free of cheap high-fructose corn syrup bullshit.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I was interested in their gomme syrup specifically; do you know a vendor that isn't in the bloody UK? I can find domestic vendors for everything else.

Also, can anyone recommend good creme de cacao and creme de cassis?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bols is better than DeKuyper, but still so drat artificial-tasting. I hate to use decent liquor, fresh lime, and real sugar and then adulterate them with something that tastes like the blue-flavoured whatever I drank when I was five. Thanks for those suggestions; I'll look into those as well as the Brizards.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Look, if I wanted to "do tasks which require concentration" when I get home from work, why would I have a liquor cabinet? :)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I am so getting that bottle. I hate vodka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There's this Moment of Truth that occurs when you realize all your "juice glasses" came free with liquor bottles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, um... does whisky ever go bad? I haven't touched my bourbon in a year and now that I decided to have some again, it's cloudy.
There's been some talk about this in the whiskey thread. Light and air can erode the delicate flavours in high-end whiskeys, but even then you're dealing with a matter of years. Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You can't substitute brandy for cognac?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kenning posted:

All cognac is brandy, but not vice versa. Using real cognac is pretty important, but you can get away with Raynal (a French brandy that is not Cognac) if you must, but try not to must.
True, but if he's basically looking for rail liquor, is St. Remy VSOP not acceptable for a punch? It runs about $15/750ml in VA.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I would like to back this, but I'm sure I will then find that I can't buy the stuff in VA.

What applejacks do you all recommend? I upgraded from Captain Apple Jack to Laird's as suggested by the PDT book, but I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vegetable Melange posted:

The bonded tastes like a brandy, the blended tastes like brandy mixed with vodka (which is what it is).

God loving drat it. I wondered why what was supposed to be a better class of applejack had a strong note of straight-up alcohol lacking any apple flavour.

Edit: Laird via Virginia ABC is loving confusing. I can get Captain Apple Jack BIB, but the Laird's is only available in the 80 proof or the 88 proof Rare Apple that runs $60+ a bottle. I don't know how much NGS is mixed into the Captain.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 27, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I didn't realize that vodka was so widely held in low regard. Because by definition it has no character of its own?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Very Strange Things posted:

Yeah bu -- but what about a -- drat, he's right.
The things I do occasionally drink with Vodka -grapefruit, cranberry, orange - are better with gin.
Jesus, what does that taste like? I substitute rum for vodka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Daeren posted:

Speaking of whiskey sours, I'm very, very slowly starting to experiment with alcohol, and the only drink I've found that I actually enjoyed the taste of so far is whiskey sours (haven't tried any with an egg white yet, though, gonna have to do that the next time I have access to booze at home), though I did enjoy a Long Island iced tea the one time i had it. Any suggestions for similar drinks? I'm one of those people who can taste alcohol in drinks people say taste nothing like alcohol,

I was the same way. Use quality booze, and as suggested, try highballs and long drinks besides your basic Cuba Libre, like a Dark'n'Stormy.

quote:

so anything like the sours that undercuts the 'medicinal swab' flavor that a lot of the spirits I've tried have would be good. I have yet to find anything with affordable vodka in it that doesn't taste like someone just dumped rubbing alcohol in the mix,
Vodka is designed to be neutral alcohol; if your palate is sensitive to alcohol, lots of vodka will absolutely taste like rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Try rum or something that actually has its own flavour.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Did you drink real tequila, or Jose Cuervo?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've been using Sauza Hornitos as it seems to be the standard recommendation for quality cocktail tequila; maybe I'll try Camarena next time.

I use agave nectar in place of simple syrup for pretty much everything now. Is that weird?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I use the Trader Joe's brand and find it's a little like maple, so it pairs well with an aged rum or reposado tequila. The Three Agaves brand (Virginia ABC sells it) is lighter and, granted, dissolves easier without being shaken.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I was out of limes, so I made a margarita with lemon. It wasn't bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highball

Last night it was hot as hell; I'd just got done with the housework and had half a lemon left over from cooking. I also have some samplers from God-knows-where sitting around that I wanted to get rid of, so I squeezed the lemon over ice and added vodka citron, syrup and topped it up with soda. I forgot to pray for forgiveness for having vodka in the house that's not Luksusowa.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I love a good aged tequila and a good margarita. Can anyone suggest tequila cocktails that aren't kiddie bullshit?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I like a Paloma for a long drink, but I'm really looking to bring out the flavour of the tequila. I don't understand the preoccupation with mixing tequila and chiles or whatever sort of Mexican hot sauce; I find capsaicin just smothers the tequila.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thanks for the suggestions; I like doing things with liqueurs. The only obstacle is that in Virginia it's hard to get a lot of quality liqueurs through ABC.

Tell if I'm crazy to consider Galliano and/or Tuaca with tequila--I was thinking the citrus, vanilla, and woodsiness of those liqueurs might pair well with the same traits in a reposado.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Those are great! I love applejack, and it never occurred to me to mix it with tequila.

A funny thing about applejack, though: We have Captain Apple Jack (bottled by Laird's) both 80 proof and BIB, as well as Laird's proper--but for whatever reason, the Laird's Rare Apple Brandy they sell in Virginia ABC is obviously adulterated with NGS. The Captain is actually the better buy in VA if you want your applejack to actually be apple loving brandy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Archenteron posted:

Ever tried a margarita with reposado tequila, cointreau/gran mariner, fresh citrus juice, and simple syrup? Asked a bartender friend make me one as a joke, it was sublime.
How else do you make a margarita?

(But seriously, pretty much every margarita I make is reposado tequila, Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and a few drops of dark agave syrup to balance the tartness. I have no need of salt.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just had Bulleit for the first time a few days ago, and I don't want to mix the stuff. I did think about making a Perfect Manhattan with it, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Huge_Midget posted:

dark rum?
Gosling's. Black. Seal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Unicorn Sermon

4 oz. Silverado Chardonnay
1/2 oz. yellow chartreuse
1/4 oz. Benedictine
1/4 oz. Frangelico

Add the liqueurs to the bottom of a coupe glass, then top up with chilled wine. Stir. Drink while changing the channel between televangelists and My Little Pony.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Booties posted:

Nothing like a bulleit rye whiskey sour to take the edge off after a blindingly hard and rainy bike ride.

I also just got a new place and need to build up my bar. What are some good liquers and cordials?

For me, the frontline of liqueurs for making cocktails is triple sec/curacao, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and amaretto. As far as those are concerned, I buy Cointreau and Gran Gala*, Kahlua, Emmet's, and Disaronno.

A broad selection of quality liqueurs is difficult to obtain in my state (Virginia) but I'm also fond of Chambord and Tuaca. The vanilla/citrus of Tuaca pairs well with an aged rum or tequila.

*Cointreau is the neutral-spirit based triple sec, while Gran Gala is brandy-based. I find Gran Gala a perfectly acceptable substitute for Grand Marnier at half the price, but you can absolutely taste the difference between Cointreau and cheap triple sec. The Cointreau producers distill their own neutral spirits from sugar beets before adding orange flavour, rather than using cheap vodka as a base.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 23, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My party is starting in 2 hours. The theme of the party is "mugshots" but I don't really drink shots so I don't know what to make. Help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Although the gimlet is one of the few recipes where sweetened lime juice is actually called for, I'd still much rather use fresh lime and add simple.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

King Hotpants posted:

King Hotpants' GinVenture continues:

I finally had a martini that I enjoy. I did 2 oz Plymouth Gin, 1 oz Dolin dry vermouth, 1 dash Angostura bitters. Stirred, strained, and garnished with lemon peel. This experience makes me think that most people take their martinis way too loving dry, also that olives are kinda nasty and a fresh lemon garnish really sets off the citrusy aspect of the gin.

I know asking about martinis is liable to start a fight, but i'll ask: how do y'all take your gin martinis? Also am I the only one who thinks vodka martinis are kinda gross?
You're drinking alcohol that tastes like nothing plus vermouth which, unfortunately, tastes like vermouth. Of course it's disgusting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm on cloud 9 right now. After forever and ever of not being able to get specialty liqueurs in Virginia, one of the ABCs near me started actually keeping two brands of maraschino and both varietals of Chartreuse on the shelf. Now if I could only get decent creme liqueurs in there...

...Speaking of which, the only creme de cassis available in ABC is Hiram Walker, so I'm looking at a pseudo-alternative. Chambord? Chateau de Monet? Pama? Anyone know anything about these or other dark berry liqueurs?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can anybody tell me anything about Carriage House Apple Brandy?

I "upgraded" from Captain Apple Jack BIB to Laird's, but VA ABC stocks two kinds of Laird's:

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe I shelled out $30 for this

I like turtles posted:

This is the stuff that is gross:

The first is obviously adulterated with vodka, and ILT insists the latter is much the same. I've been sticking with Captain since I managed to use up the Laird's.

Also, what do I do with this Heering now that I got it, and how does it compare to Luxardo Maraschino?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 18, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vegetable Melange posted:

The Bonded is not adulterated, only the second one.
Laird's Old Apple Brandy isn't bonded; it's 80 proof. I've heard they make a bonded that's good, but we don't get it here, unfortunately.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm playing around with the Heering. Last night I tried

1 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz. Heering
1/4 oz. Tuaca
1/2 oz. fresh lime

I might would replace the Tuaca with Cointreau and and add a little Peychaud's next time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can someone give a rundown on the differences between Angostura and Peychaud's and a general guideline for when to use one as opposed to the other?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It seems a lot of people feel the way about orange in an Old-Fashioned that many martini drinkers feel about the vermouth--just pass it over top of the glass and pretend or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kenning posted:

The orange in an Old Fashioned, on the other hand, is an uncouth innovation
Oh, please. Calling any deviation from American 19th century drinking culture "uncouth" is pretty ridiculous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Speaking of ancient cocktails with many different recipes, how do you all make a Planter's Punch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Being snooty about Old Fashioneds is pretty silly as pretty much every classic cocktail was invented to class up the act of drinking obscene amounts of hard liquor.

That being said, while I think that Angostura pairs really well with citrus oils, I don't actually want orange pulp in my glass, nor do I want to detract from the whiskey by mixing maraschino flavour into it, even good genuine maraschino cherries.

I also prefer mine with rye in case that's a cardinal sin I need to confess.