Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I picked up some roasted chestnuts on the way to the bar today, any suggestions for making a syrup/reduction out of them? And then any ideas on what the hell to do with it?

edit: I think im gonna try Morgenthaler's orgeat recipe

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I've been making Japanese Cocktail #1s (using that version of Morgenthaler's orgeat recipe I think I posted about a little earlier, using roasted chestnuts) and they're really nice & easy IMO and a nice use for brandy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, it looks like VA is finally importing Carpano Antica.

Now, all I need is some money.

Where in VA are you? If you're near the NC border they can sell it here in beer & wine (like, not ABC/liquor) stores -- I think we classify vermouth differently than Yall do

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bubz posted:

If I actually need to shake for 12 full minutes, I'm going to need to muscle up.

jesus dude a pain shot through my arm just reading this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm on my way to the store what's a nice punch recipe please 😬 ? I've got a decent amount of Campari and Aperol (and a shitload of wine? but don't necessarily need something using it...)at the house but that's about it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm making the bird punch and I think I can juice pineapple in a vitamix but I guess I'll find out. Any favorite recipes??

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You mean you don't like real-deal maraschino cherries or the big ugly neon red things? Either way a Last Word is a really nice drink but I prefer the variations that don't use equal parts and go a little heavier on the gin

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

social vegan posted:

What do u do with all this scotch help me gws I'm already drinking it neat but is this enough ???

angor posted:

I have a bottle of Cherry Heering

Have a goon meet where you make Blood & Sands together

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah it takes some effort & probably a little grocery shopping but it's not really the kind of thing you can gently caress up if you follow a recipe

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Leopold Stotch posted:

Thank you for bringing this cocktail to my attention!

I've tried a few where you use like 3 parts of a smooth blended scotch to 1 part super peaty scotch and it's really nice

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Orange blossom syrup: where do I find it? I probably should have asked this a week or two ago.

Weird local Asian grocery store

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

I broke down and bought a bottle of campari.

First Negroni. If I had fresh vermouth, this would probably be my favourite drink.

Just plain old campari and soda water is so dang good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Another hot cocktail tip: open a Miller High Life (or whatever, I do this with basically any beer I buy; also tastes great with a nice kolsch or whatever) and take a good swig out of it and then top it off with Campari. You can thank me later but please promise to refer to it as a "Camparty" because I really wanna make that a thing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Just tried to mix Johnny Walker Black with Perrier and ugh whiskey flavored water. About 3 oz. of each w/ice and stirred for about 10 seconds, any ideas what went wrong?

Yow. Honestly, I don't think that's the kind of scotch you should be mixing with water. If you really want to, though, forget adding the 3oz, giving it a good healthy stir with just the ice for like 20 seconds will be plenty of water. I don't think you're gonna find it very harsh if you just drink it neat though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Thanks for the advice all. Ive only recently started drinking scotch after drinking mainly I clear liquors since i started drinking at all.
u
Will definitely be checking out the whisky thread and trying stirring vigorously before adding water again.

Try skipping the ice completely, too! You can always add ice if it turns out that way. Johnnie Walker would still probably not be my go-to (I don't think anyone will tell you it's bad, just that you could maybe get some better stuff that doesn't necessarily have the same marketing budget in that price range) but it's still a pretty smooth, inoffensive sipper at room temp and I'd at least give it a shot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ralith posted:

I've had a bottle of amaretto sitting mostly untouched for more than a year until I finally tried making an amaretto sour. 1.5 amaretto, 1 simple, 0.75 lemon, on the rocks. The lemon goes a long way to balance out the otherwise overbearingly sweet liqueur, and while the result is still very close to being too sweet, it's nonetheless delicious, and has motivated me to seek out some other good recipes. Recommendations?

Add an egg white

edit: and some whiskey. this recipe is absolutely perfect IMO

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I would swap the lemon/simple amounts, maybe even use only .5 oz simple. The recipe above sounds delicious but I'm a recent convert to the wet shake then dry shake method. It really is much easier and the foam you get is ridiculous. Shake with ice for 15 seconds to dilute, strain into the other half of your shaker, dump the ice, dry shake vigorously for a minute or so, serve.

He's not using an egg in there I don't think the dry shake matters

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

trauma llama posted:

What is everyone's preferred amaretto? Lately we've been using Lazzaroni. I think it has much better flavor than Disarrono or Frangelico, but it's a little too sweet.

I love Lazzaroni for the price. It is pretty syrupy but a little shot of it on the rocks is such a nice dessert

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I was expanding on your post and talking about the morgenthaler recipe

Ohhhh sorry, didn't see that. Yeah I also like switching up the wet and dry shake order! Love that froth

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I would say definitely be prepared to but sometimes the staff gets a pretty good flat rate and you won't see a tip jar out and they might not even accept tips if you try to hand one to them.

edit: like I've been offered $200+ to bartend a wedding for a few hours and I wouldn't have been to miffed if tips weren't part of the deal in that situation, but catering stuff is weird and expectations can vary a lot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I'm really fond of that Morganthaler recipe I posted

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that works. I reaaaally recommend that egg white though. If you find those new ratios not sweet enough try supplementing it with a quarter ounce of Amaretto instead of more simple -- I don't like to make sours without it, honestly

edit: if you're worried about it tasting "eggy" I promise it won't, it's mostly there in recipes as a texture thing -- you get a smooth, creamy feel that makes for basically my favorite drink in the world. Also if (after you mix the cocktail) you dash a little bit of bitters on top of your drink that will overpower and mask any slight egg smell you get, without really altering the flavor of the drink.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 6, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Failed Nihilist posted:

So I tried making a sangria the other day. Literally first time, spur of the moment decision.

-Half a bottle of cheap cabernet sauvignon
-Half a bottle of even cheaper white zinfandel
-2 cans of sprite
-Amounts of sugar and cinnamon that I can't remember
-A shot of Jim Beam
-A bunch of cut up lemons and limes

For a first time effort, I thought it was loving delicious. Anyone else have some recipes? Or suggestions for next time?

Edit: Meant sangria, not sangrita. gently caress, I'm already drunk and have one of those mtn dews in front of me.

1 750 ml bottle red wine
¾ cup Grand Marnier
1 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
1 oz 2:1 simple syrup, or 1½ oz 1:1 simple syrup
1 tsp Angostura bitters

^^ this is from Jeffery Morgenthaler's blog and he's a dude who knows his poo poo. That's basically it for the recipe, it's about as simple as it sounds, but there are some other points in the blog post that are pretty important: "If you don’t think you can spare the ten minutes to juice fresh oranges, pick up a six-pack of beer instead" and "Do use decent-quality orange liqueur in your sangria. Remember, garbage in, garbage out". Might sound a little harsh, but like any recipe ever, you are gonna get what you pay for and higher quality ingredients mean you're gonna drink better poo poo.

Sangria is pretty hard to gently caress up but if you enjoyed what you made & are now seeking perfection, and if you want to refine your recipe instead of just switching it and using someone else's I would recommend experimenting with fresh-squeezed citrus, simple syrup, and soda water instead of dumping in a couple cans of Sprite. I can almost guarantee that after poking around you'll find something even better than the stuff you just made. The Jim Beam sounds super weird but if it tastes good I won't hold it against you; I bet Grand Marnier or Cointreau would play really nicely, though.

At the end of the day Sangria is a pretty vague concept and there's not one single "correct" recipe but the one thing I can say for sure is that if you're juicing your own fruit it's gonna be very noticeably better and that basically goes for anything

edit: also you don't need to use really nice wine but depending on what you mean by "cheap" , better wine could mean better sangria. there are awesome wines in the $10 range that you could use but if you're talking $5 gas station stuff, just upgrading the wine could move you towards something really delicious.

Hope none of this comes off as me being an rear end in a top hat or pretentious -- it sounds like you really liked your sangria, which is awesome, but for me the first step in getting into cocktails was finding something I liked, then finding the ways it could be improved, and trying to perfect it to my tastes. I would say keep making sangria , do it slightly differently every time, figure out what you like and don't like about the changes each time you make it, and eventually land on The Most Perfect loving Sangria Recipe and then post it in this thread so I can make it. Godspeed

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Add a tiny bit to soda water. I open canned seltzer water (any flavor) and pour a little bit of Campari directly into the mouth of the can carefully, drink. Now when I drink seltzer without this it feels incomplete, that's how much I like it.

Same but with Miller High Life (or a nice kolsch or whatever)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kenning, how do you make the ice block for the punch?

I don't know about how he does it but if you find a Tupperware container of the size you want (or whatever) and fill it with water and put it in the freezer it will turn into ice. Perfect ice blocks every time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone got experience with the shelf-life of coffee infused liquor? I adapted a cold brew recipe and infused some cognac and I really liked it, but it was a really small batch and I finished it in a few days. I want to make more for work but before I do a big batch I want to make sure it'll keep like liquor and last forever and not keep like cold brew and taste like poo poo in a week

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Failed Nihilist posted:

I will never be in a more perfect time and place to share this:

Oh man when was this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's an incredibly good post, thank you. Although personally Inwould but Lazzaroni amaretto over Disaronno -- where I live, it's even slightly cheaper

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Especially in a "real cocktail bar" I would say your bartender should be able and willing to accommodate off-menu requests. Nothing weird or wrong about that at all, and there are some cool drinks I wouldn't know anything about if customers hadn't introduced me to them in that way. Just be considerate about ordering anything weird or complicated that potentially takes a lot of time/explanation if the bar is super busy, I guess, but even then your bartender should still make whatever you order for you

edit: maybe we have a different definition of "cocktail bar" when you talk about chocolate martinis and stuff tho ... when I hear the term I picture accent wall and exposed brick and a mason jar with whole nutmeg in it and the only food they serve is an $18 cheese and pickle plate

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 26, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Our new housemate here in West Africa is an ex-Peace Corps gal, and she wanted to contribute to the household stash since we're nearly flat-broke while waiting on this NGO to pay us the $37,000 they owe us. Like "dinner is plantains and salt pork by candlelight" poor this week. So trying to be helpful she bought us a bottle of that execrable Liberian gin, so we choked that down with some Schwepps Bitter Lemon. She felt bad about that and wanted to buy something cheap but less-lovely, so we figured "how hard is it not to gently caress up whiskey"?

Behold:

I'll be goony nerdy and paraphrase Hitchhiker's Guide: "a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike whiskey". As in, if you gave it to me blindfolded and asked me what spirit it was, "whiskey" would not be in my top three guesses. This was some serious paint-thinner poo poo.

We don't have a lot of stuff on-hand to mix it with and it's completely undrinkable on its own (like "refused by hoboes" undrinkable) but it was standable when mixed into mango generic kool-aid or into black tea with tinned milk. Somehow Liberians find the stuff palatable enough to keep the company, and many like it, in business. The housemate lived in a neighboring country and said the common hard booze there was little soft plastic tear-open sachets of potable ethanol and water, so apparently a lower bar can indeed be found in the region.

Dude please keep posting about weird lovely African liquor , I've been fascinated by this. Also I will totally PayPal you some money to send me some if that's inside the realm of possibility

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I'm in North Carolina so unfortunately it wouldn't be legal (I think there are some states where you can mail liquor, though) -- it's probably for the best though given your write-ups

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dude from the clover club is doing a guest bartending thing in my lil old north carolina mountain town tonight and I'm HYPED

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

Brad? Great bartender, better dude.

Yeah my roommate works at the bar he was guest bartending at and said he was super cool. Drinks were really on point

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

I'll be in Charlotte this weekend, but not long enough to drink at Heist, sadly. I owe their bartender mad drinks.

Did he do a guest thing there too? I'm talking about MG Road in Asheville -- they've been doing a series of guest chefs/bartenders and Bulleit is somehow involved and has been paying to fly folks out from as far away as Montreal which is pretty cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

$70 is super expensive, that's a shame because Chartreuse is awesome. It has a earned a lifetime spot in my bar. $28 for a bottle of Verte where I live.

Where do you live!!! Green and yellow are both $60 here in NC, around $64 if I'm buying for the bar & paying the associated taxes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I really want to try a Last Word and other Chartreuse cocktails but the green one runs $75 here. Even the yellow, if you can find it, goes for $60. Is it really that great? I'm willing to shell out for it once I restock my essentials, but I'm just iffy on blowing $75 on something I may or may not like. Unfortunately there's no good bars near me to try it first either.

If you end up liking it then that's a bummer but on the plus side you're generally gonna use like 1/4-1/2oz of it in a single drink so that bottle will last you a very long time. It's very high proof with intense flavor

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Peacheshead posted:

I like fernet a lot, but the only thing I know to do with it (and the only way I've seen it used) is in a fernet buck. Any tips on other drinks?

someone tonight made me a drink with fernet, sweet vermouth, lemon juice, and ginger beer served in a collins and it was really tasty

edit: ginger beer was glenheims and I think the vermouth used was dolin rouge??

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You could make your own by infusing rum with spices! Not sure if only a week for the infusion is ideal but you're gonna at least get better results than you would using plain rum. Here's a recipe from Serious Eats that looks good to me, but hopefully someone else in the thread has actually done it before and can give you more advice. I'd get that poo poo started ASAP though, I know the recipe I linked recommends 2 weeks for the infusion

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4nAph0Zj7I

omg this might be old news but I'd never seen it. part at 0:19 where he wipes off his coke drip is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah if you have somehow been suckered into attending a "bar school" (unless you're in a state that actually requires it for bartenders, I THINK that's a thing in some places?? I'm pretty sure in, like, Georgia you have to take a class and get some kind of certification from the Sheriff's Office or whatever) please don't put it on your resume because it will probably do more harm than good. I would value a few months of barback experience or whatever way way way more than any kind of bartending classes with very few exceptions, when it comes to hiring. A couple of really reputable bartenders in my town have been discussing opening some kind of training school, and while I think it's a cool idea & I'm very confident they know their poo poo I'm curious if they can break through the stigma of Bartending College generally being a total loving scam.