Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
lol I can't stop watching that video and I pick up on beautiful nuances every single time. Good to know that rum comes in different colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anyone else bartending for an extra hour tonight? I toooootally forgot about daylight savings

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jungle Birds!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

for real? that reeks of the bullshit ppl say about Two Buck Chuck actually being good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah some of the Trader Joe's Reserve stuff in the $10 range is really really good for the price. I don't live in a state where I can enjoy Costco and TJs liquor tho unfortunately

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kenning I want to party with you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I was actually planning on following OP advice and just getting alcohol as I need it to make drinks I’m interested in, but I’m more concerned with knowing which ingredients are good quality and which are subpar.

What are the drinks you're interested in and what's your budget?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^ both good recommendations.... depending on your area and the availability of stuff there you may or may not be able to get better deals than the general go-to suggestions, but people can overall probably give you some good starting points. If you want a nice vermouth for your manhattans I think Dolin Rogue should be pretty easy to find anywhere and it's really good, I'll drink the stuff straight any day. If there's a Whole Foods in your area you can probably find some there. Just keep it refrigerated! It's not a spirit, vermouth is wine, and it won't last forever either way but it will hold up much much longer if it's kept cold.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Dolin rouge owns I just finished a Martinez with it :cheers:

It's a little bit on the sweet side but dolin rouge with a couple ice cubes is my go-to summertime porch-sipper

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Are there any liqueurs that yall like with a prominent honey flavor? I'm not real pretentious when it comes to liquor and I'm known to enjoy some real sweet stuff sometimes (like if I buy a bottle of Lazzaroni I'll probably finish most of it just sipping it straight for dessert) but oh man I just took a sip of Jack Daniels Honey just to try it and that tastes like straight dogshit. I don't even feel the honey, it just tastes like brown sugar. Is Barenjäger or whatever it's called worth a poo poo?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

Two Buck Chuck is a blend, so, The Trick, I've been told, is to buy one bottle then open it and drink some in the parking lot. If it's good you go back in and buy it by the case because the whole batch is good.

this may have once been true but I don't know if I'd even recommend Charles Shaw as "good for the price point" from my experiences. However sometimes the Trader Joes Grand Reserve poo poo is ON POINT for the $10-a-bottle pricerange it sells in and I've indeed been compelled to go back and buy them out after getting a particularly good bottle. They release different blends in batches and once it's gone, it's usually gone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Benedictine is special order here in NC (state owned liquor stores with pretty limited selection) and I have to arrange with other bartenders around town to go in on a case if I want to just buy a bottle or two. Big pain. B&B is not, for some dumb reason. Drambuie totally slipped my mind and we've already got that poo poo on the shelf though, thanks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Definitely real curious now about the New Zealand liqueur with the badass name tho

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lmao how have I never heard of SoCo Fire

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Death of Rats posted:

What entry-level Campari drinks do you guys use to get someone into it? Also, will the bottle expire, or will it keep indefinitely?

Any spirit will basically keep indefinitely. Vermouth won't though! Keep it in the fridge and try to at least get through it within a month.

edit: as for campari drinks I can drink just plain old campari & soda all day. or for a treat take a few swigs out of a Miller High Life (or some fancy Kolsch or something if you're too good for that) and top the bottle off with a little hit of Campari and you have a "Camparty" and it will taste delicious and look really pretty

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Im insanely jealous you work at a bar with peelers sharp enough to do that, honestly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I’m planning on making a cosmopolitan for my girlfriend tonight, but I realized it calls for citrus vodka, and I’ve only got regular. Would tossing in a dash of lemon juice with straight vodka be an alright substitute? Anything else you guys would recommend as an alternative? I haven't got the free time to go pick up a bottle of actual citron.

Are you using a recipe that doesn't call for lime juice in there already? Cosmos with unflavored vodka are absolutely fine and I considered them to be the "standard". Also, make one for yourself while you're at it, a good Cosmopolitan with Cointreau and poo poo is a Real rear end Cocktail and pretty much the only thing with vodka in it that I take pleasure in making and drinking. Those Sex And The City ladies knew what was up. Ounce and a half of vodka, 3/4 Cointreau, splash of lime (just squeeze half of one) and the tiniest splash of cranberry (you're basically just doing this for the color).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You should not

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. How long should I be boiling the mix for? I tried the cold blend Fart Car was talking about with granulated sugar and it didn't work, so I did it the traditional way and it didn't dissolve for ~15 minutes. Enough water boiled off that it ended up being like I had dropped a little bit of water on a pile of sugar. Maybe I didn't make enough, I was making a small batch.

Just use X amount of water right off the boil with an equal part of sugar and stir it for like 30 seconds. Lol this is really stressing me out honestly . you don't need to make it on the stove, just pour your hot water and sugar into a container. I believe in u

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

DO NOT BOIL ANYTHING FOR YOUR loving SYRUP.

When you hydrolyze a sucrose molecule with heat or acid, you break the molecular bonds and they reform as separate fructose and glucose. This is inverted syrup, used for pastry production. It is thinner and tastes hyper sweet, like high-fructose corn syrup tastes sweeter than non. It is terrible for cocktails - it is less viscous, eliminates the nice mouth feel and roundness of a proper cold process syrup and in my experience, spoils faster.

Take cool water, mix with granulated sugar. Stir it, or put it in a shakeable container. I make five gallon cambros of it at a time. Up to a ratio of ~2.3-1 sugar to water, you aren't making a true supersaturated solution and this heat is not necessary.

Good bars don't use a hot process, neither does any legit syrup company.

This guy literally just somehow hosed up making simple syrup and came here for help, please please please for the love of god don't make a post with the words "hydrolyze a sugar molecule" and just let him mix hot water and sugar together until it tastes sweet I am begging you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Make a gum syrup if u care about mouthfeel but in the meantime lets just get this dude on the way to successfully putting together some sugar water please

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm assuming 2:1 meant sugar to water because the reverse would be really really weird

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And im totally gonna try the cold simple thing next time and do a side-by-side test because you got me curious. Im just saying keep it basic with this lady or this fella because there aren't very many ways to gently caress up simple syrup and if someones having issues there, mixing equal parts hot water and sugar and stirring it for like 30 seconds is gonna be pretty foolproof. When I've been extra concerned about texture in the past I've used Acacia gum and a 1.5:1 ratio in the syrup, and again, im gonna give the cold method you mentioned a try but you gotta feel me that when 99% of people say "simple syrup" they mean something pretty dang simple

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also honestly I think only a man would be capable of mucking up a simple syrup and I have too much respect for women to believe that one could

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^ I feel like at least one person is trolling me and its working lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That poster hosed it up because they put two parts water to one part sugar. That's why it was super hosed. Read the post.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I did 1/4 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar

Oh my god that s not two parts water to one part sugar

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I feel like im in that thread on that bodybuilding forum where the guys argue over whether a week has 6 or 7 days in it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

what. That happened?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751 the greatest thread of all time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

You do realize that most liquor made in west africa is flavored+colored gain alcohol right?

Look up his post history in this thread and you will learn he is probably well aware of the dubiousness of west african liquor. But u gotta take what u can get

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lmao that rules

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I've even had nice coffee drinks with it before

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Amarula is really delicious. It's like chocolate orange baileys.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you're just looking for another liqueur, check out Amarula (South African floral, fruity cream liqueur) because holy poo poo, we did that with our cold brew, heavy saline solution, cardamom whipped cream "ice coffee" at my old resto and HOLY gently caress GOOD GODDAMN!!!!

gently caress that sounds so sick and I hope I can special order it through the bullshit state liquor store (have I posted in here enough about how I hate having to go thru the state liquor store)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

slut chan posted:

I just got a bottle of Fernet Branca and I don't know what to do with it. halp

Honestly I don't like mixed drinks with colas and stuff at ALL generally but if there's one thing in the world I enjoy topped off with some Coke it is fernet. But just take a couple shots first so you can feel like a "craft cocktail" bartender from 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just posted about it in Phiz but I wanted to spread the word in here: I can be a real snob about liquor but for the price, I've always been really really happy with stuff from Jim Beam. Their 7yr stuff in particular is excellent value but unfortunately it's been discontinued in favor of the flagship 4yr Jim Beam (and their higher-end stuff like Basil Hayden's, etc) and as far as I know they sent out their last shipment a couple weeks ago. If you're a budget-conscious whiskey drinker, I don't think you can do much better than Jim Beam 7yr (I just scooped up the last of it at my local liquors store and it was $40 for a handle in NC, which has state-run stores and liquor here is on the expensive side) --- I haven't really found anything I'd rather drink in that $20/bottle range, and if they've still got some of the 7yr in a store near you I would recommend at least checking it out while it's still available. Certainly not the finest whiskey you can get but I think it kicks rear end compared to anything else I've tried at that pricepoint.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kenning posted:

Yay punch! I was gonna to a 1 bottle batch of Frank Forester's for my friend and I, but it comes out to 14 drinks and there's only two of us, so instead I just got some pretty nice champagne. I'll have to do a real proper punch soon.

If you cant drink 14 drinks between the two of you you need better friends

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Please don't dunk your egg whites in coffee

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that's a great call. One of those things that I probably wouldn't buy for myself but is used in a lot of classic drinks in small amounts (so a bottle would last forever) and I'd be very grateful to receieve. Depending on what's available in your area another bottle worth looking into would be Luxardo Maraschino, basically a good call for the same reasons I mentioned above. Kinda pricey but with tons of applications across different cocktails , generally .25-.5oz per drink, so one bottle will go a long way.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I find Leopolds to be far superior with very different botanticals - heavy on grapefruit and bitter orange. Steps up your Boulevardier game like crazy. I'd definitely, definitely pick up a bottle.

Should be pretty cheap, anyhow. I pay $19 through my distributor.

$43 for .75L for a bar in NC, jesus christ

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah that sounds good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I like champs elyssees also.

Is there a recipe you're fond of? I tried the original Savoy one (1 1/2oz brandy, 1/2 green chartreuse, 3/4 lemon, 1/2 1:1 simple, dash of Angostura) tonight based solely on your post and while there was definitely something good going on there it was way too sweet for my tastes and it also sorta just came off as "a cocktail with chartreuse in it". I wanna experiment with the ratios over the next few days, because in my experience a lot of pre-prohibition stuff leans toward being too sweet for me in general, but please let me know if there's a recipe that works well for you. Green Chartreuse & brandy sounded amazing in my head but those measurements didn't really live up to my expectations