Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Lately I've been having some fun on my friday nights with Rum and Coke, and after getting sick of Bacardi white and Coca-Cola, I decided to try Kraken and Jarritos Cola. Both are heavy on flavor and hard to get a hold of but taste damned great, whereas Bacardi and Coke tends to taste thin and go down fast. I'm thinking about continuing this trend of mixing and matching, anyone else got some favorite rums and colas that would go well together?

The best thing you can do with a basic rum and Coke is add a squeeze of lime and make it a Cuba Libre. Make sure you get Coke in a can (or glass bottle, I guess). I find the plastic bottles leave a weird aftertaste.

The Dark and Stormy is also a great use of Kraken. Wish I could find a ginger beer around here that isn't Goslings, so I could experiment more.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What dry gins do you all recommend for cocktail-making? I'd rather stick with something on the cheaper end, but not completely crap. I was mostly looking at either Gordons or Beefeater.

A list of solid liquors in various price ranges would probably be a decent thing for the OP of this thread. (I am not qualified to make such a list.)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

I use an app called Top Shelf myself. Pretty extensive database to begin with, but you can also add/edit recipes very easily. Also has favorites, search by ingredient(s), and the "my shelf" function. Top Shelf also lets you add custom ingredients if what's given isn't sufficient.

edit: Top Shelf is strictly business though. If you want a cocktail app that (just) looks cool, Cocktail Flow is where it's at.

Top Shelf is pretty much the best. I love that once you put your available ingredients in, you can basically just have it tell you what you can currently make.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Devoz posted:

Any recommendations for relatively simple summer time cocktails. Now that the weather is nice I'm looking for some good cocktails for enjoying out on a back deck.

Keeping it simple, I'd suggest the Dark and Stormy. Pour ginger beer, pour rum, squeeze lime, slight stir, and you're done. Delicious, refreshing on a hot day, and quick.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

I love when people make punch. Makes me so proud.

We made your punch last weekend and it was thoroughly enjoyed. Have you ever tried substituting soda water in for the water? I was thinking adding a little bit of fizziness might be pleasant.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
After making Dark and Stormies with Kraken for months, I decided to try making an official patented Dark 'N' Stormy™ when I came upon a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal for the first time, and drat if it isn't a major downgrade from Kraken, in my estimation?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I made a Henry Box Brown last night, and goddamn, juicing grapes with a muddler is a real pain in the rear end. Pretty delicious, though, even thought just had regular Appleton Estate to put in.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If someone visiting your house and asks for a White Russian, and you have a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap handy (you should), swap it in for the vodka to make an even more chocolate milk-esque drink than a standard-issue White Russian. They will probably think it's amazing.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This Total Tiki app seems pretty rad. You put in all the ingredients you have, and it tells you what kind of tiki drinks you can make with what's on hand (or what you could substitute in safely), and what ingredients you should buy to open up the most recipes. It also filters by prep method and serving size, among other things. The ingredient pages even have a little info on them, as well as recommended brands. I wish there was something like this for general cocktails and not just tiki drinks.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NIGARS posted:

I have some rum, bitters and simple syrup around so gave this a go. Really not bad at all. Too sweet, but that's not unexpected with rum, especially as the one I have isn't exactly dry.

What kind of rum? Some of them definitely work better in old fashioneds than others.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I recommend using Cruzan Black Strap instead of vodka when making a white russian.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever made Blood of the Kapu Tiki?

quote:

3 oz lime juice
3 oz grapefruit juice
3 oz orange juice
3 oz grenadine
3 oz simple syrup
10 oz amber rum
˝ tsp Pernod
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Fill a pitcher with crushed ice and add all the ingredients. Swizzle with a long-handled spoon or swizzle stick until the outside of the pitcher is frosted over. Pour directly into small glasses or tiki mugs and garnish with an orange and lime wheel. Serves four to six.

Seems like an easily scalable party punch? I'll probably go with Cruzan for the rum.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Maestro posted:

Whoa I wanna try that but drat what a hideous bottle.

At a glance, it made me think it was some sort of fancy motor oil or antifreeze.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Splinter posted:

That's unfortunate, and not really what I was expecting after all the rave reviews I read. Any tiki books by other authors worth looking at?

I'm far from an expert, but I've enjoyed Beachbum Berry's iOS app, which contains a lot of recipes from his books (as well as recipes not by him), and is only $10. You can put the ingredients you have on hand into the app and it tells you what you can make. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-tiki/id835148977

Kenning is right, though - they can get real sugary sometimes.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do they not have tiny bottles at your liquor store?

Not of off the beaten path stuff like Campari or Pernod. Does that sort of stuff even come in smaller bottles?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I am making Regent's Punch, as posted by Kenning, and am having trouble finding Batavia Arrack. What's a good substitute?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The liquor buying guide post is particularly useful to refer to in a store. I have it saved as a text file on Dropbox.

Kenning, have you ever though about starting a cocktail blog/Tumblr/whatever just so you can mirror all your punch recipes and other stuff from these threads in a way that's easy to search for later?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I would add New Amsterdam to the cheap gin list. I prefer it to Gordon's and it's about the same price.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Kenning, for Regent's Punch, what is the best way to deal with a lack of seville oranges? I know they're supposed to be more bitter, so would I sub in some mix of lemons and regular oranges?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

In any case, since I've already got the Campari and want to find a use for it if I can, I'm open to cocktail suggestions where it's less prominent than it is in a Negroni.

I had a similar reaction to you to a Negroni, and I've found I enjoy a Jungle Bird. The recipes floating around online have way less pineapple juice than the version originally published by Jeff Berry:

You can get pretty good not-from-concentrate pineapple juice in the organic section of a grocery store, which makes it reasonably practical to whip up without too much work.

Also, if I plug all of Mixology Tech's awesome apps I'll feel less bad about sharing that screenshot: https://mixologytech.com

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 8, 2016

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

That does sound promising. Luckily, I've already got some pineapple juice on hand for Singapore Slings. Any opinion on Smith & Cross vs Cruzan Black Strap for the rum? I've got both, and I'm seeing both come up repeatedly as the suggested rum for the cocktail.

Since it calls for Jamaican dark, I've tried Coruba (excellent) and Myers (adequate). Black Strap would probably be closer to either those, but it's pretty distinct from them - much more syrupy and molasses-y. Smith and Cross, though, feels like it'd produce a whole different drink, but it's totally something I'm going to try now that you've mentioned it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Virtue posted:

I was just gifted a bottle of Kahlua and have no idea what to make with it other than white russians. Are there any lesser known but delicious cocktails I can make with the stuff?

You could probably scratch up the ingredients for a Mr. Bali Hai.

Total Tiki app posted:

• 1 1/2 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 oz. simple syrup
  • 3/4 coffee liqueur
  • 1 oz. silver rum
  • 1 1/2 oz. dark Jamaican rum

Shake well with cracked ice and pour unstrained into into a double old-fashioned glass or mug.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Now thinking about making this for a beach trip next weekend, but I obviously don't have two weeks to make the shrub. Wonder if it'll be okay with just over a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Bandit posted:

Shrubs are good to go as soon as you add the vinegar, however they get better as they age. Do you already have some falernum kicking around?

I do, actually. The liqueur type, not a syrup/mix.