Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I have a question for you cocktail knowledge people, as I'm not (yet) one of you :(

Tomorrow I want to make these sweet and smoky spareribs with some slaw on the side for dinner with my dad. I'm looking for a preferably bourbon-based cocktail that goes well with the dish - ideally something with soda or other non-alcohol in it to prevent him keeling over drunk halfway through the meal.

The site recommends these, but I don't have the money to go out and buy both gin and Pimm's right now.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Klauser posted:

Highballs are easy and great with food, and seem to fit your requirements perfectly.

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lime juice (lemon is fine here too)
You can add simple syrup to taste, or leave it out.

Just put that in a highball glass filled with ice and top with soda.

Thanks a lot! it paired very, very well indeed..

It does need a touch of syrup for me though; otherwise the sour note takes over. (I had to make several test glasses, and was forced to drink them :unsmigghh: )

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Triumphant posted:

What you did was pretty solid, but I'd make your syrup with brown sugar and actually let your mint leaves simmer in it while the sugar's cooking (don't boil them-- you don't want to release the chlorophyll in the mint, which will make your drink too bitter). Hefty splash of that syrup, few big glugs of Maker's Mark, lots and lots of ice in a cold cold glass and you've got something solid.

Followed yours and Very Strange Things advice, and made my very first Mint Julep with mint from my own garden. It's delicious, but a few of these and you can find me under the table.

We're having an indian summer weekend over here, so it's amazing to drink this while sitting in the last rays of sun.

Again, much obliged!

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 30, 2011