Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

LTBS posted:

I'm just trying to find the best recipe that I can make at home. Also does the brandy brand matter too much?
Can you elaborate on what doesn't taste right? Do you do a sugar rim?

Also I'm a novice but the books I have (Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan) emphasize that fruitier cognacs like Courvoisier have much different flavors than drier bottles like Hennessy. I am not baller enough to have several bottles of nice cognac so I can't give a personal opinion on that. What are you using now? Perhaps someone can chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Pimm's cup with a nice slice of cucumber.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

indoflaven posted:

Had some shots of a Polish liqour last night at a friends 30th. It had 3 stars on the bottle all supposedly representing something, I think it started with an M.

We all agreed it tasted like bug spray.
This bottle?

It has a cult following in the chicago area, see this story on NPR for a summary:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/15/177362556/how-swedish-malort-became-chicagos-mascot-bitter-drink

As you can see, mine is not full, it is quite entertaining to offer it to unsuspecting people. My favorite part of the bottle is the text, which claims something to the effect that its bitter taste is enjoyed by two-fisted drinkers.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 12, 2013

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

Have you tried other glasses? I had similar problems and gave up and got an all metal set.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

Hello drank thread. I have recently been struck with invigoration for tiki. I have purchased Beach Bum Berry Remixed! and made my first Mai Tai with homemade orgeat syrup. After reading some of the book, I realized my rum selection is clearly lacking. I made due with a light and spiced rum for tonight's Mai Tai, but would welcome any rum recommendations that trend towards most widely applicable to tiki classics. On my shopping list is wray and newphew 151 proof rum and to find a jamaican rum. I figured I would start there, but reading the material it seems there is a situation for a ridiculous list of rums. Would just appreciate some experience for if I should pursue things like the Martinique/rum from every island available.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

Kenning posted:

Congratulations on your Tiki Fever. Since you already have a light rum, then this previous post of mine applies to you perfectly (I recommend Flor de Caņa 4 year Extra Dry for a white rum btw). In short, the best order of rum acquisition is light Spanish, dark Jamaican, gold Barbados, gold Spanish, Lemon Hart 151, and then 80-proof Demerara. Wray and Nephew (which is 126 proof, not 151) is mostly useful for making falernum. Martinique rums are delicious, but they're expensive and not called for very often, except in a Mai Tai. I'd just save those for later on in your rum collecting process. For a more robust primer on rum, I'd recommend my own Rum Thread, which has a good introduction, as well as a lot of information on specific rums throughout.

Kenning, thanks for the summarized info. As you are the resident preacher of life changing punch, I thought I'd mention I also purchased Punch by Wondrich and got a nifty bowl/cup set at a second hand store but haven't had an occasion yet. I feel as sucked in to these niches as I did when I first had a proper manhattan.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

For a new bar i'd suggest skipping campari and upgrading to contreau.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

Welp. Apparently I passed out while posting. I have no idea what my second question was going to be. Now if you will all excuse me, I'm going to rehab.

I guess i'll have to try that Chapel Hill!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I've held off on buying anything like fernet because I don't know what blend of mysterious "herbs and spices" I'm getting. I don't know a bar where I can order a glass of fernet like Alfred Pennyworth.

I guess you haven't met a tweed and/or waxed mustache guy to tell you that it is an awesome digestif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

So uhh, are we going to do another cocktail of the month? Or did that die.

I'll throw out the old fashioned :can:

I think everyone has a different way of making it, it could be interesting to discuss this drink in more detail. But a lot of people are also bored with it so :shrug: