Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best Old Fashioned, in my experience, is made with straight rye instead of bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's everyone's favorite Martini ratio and ingredient brands? I've yet to find the perfect balance. Been doing 2:1, 1:1, .5:2, w Plymouth, Bluecoat, Beefeater, Hayman's and it's still not quite there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've been using Rossi. I probably need to step up my vermouth game.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhh, I see. Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll pick some up next I'm at the store. What kinds are recommended?

Apparently Jaegermeister is considered digestive bitters? Weird.

No home bar is complete without Angostura bitters. It's really the standard of aromatic bitters and is used in tons of cocktails. It adds a complex flavor, almost an incense herbal note, and marries the ingredients to many drinks well. Also, Peychauds is essential to a few classics as well, and has a more sweet licorice flavor. I recommend some orange bitters too, and any brand of those will probably do.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there a brick and mortar that carries Kina l'Aero d'Or, and is it worth tracking down?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of bitters, what's everyone's dashing technique? That might sound ridiculous, but depending on how you angle the bottle, you can put a drop or a stream of Ango in your drink with one dash. And that doesn't translate over to other bottles either. I've got a bottle of Fee Bros orange bitters that barely drips even with a full vertical shake.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is bartending worth it?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Fart Car '97 posted:

What do you want out of it?

Experience, knowledge, money, in that order really. Cocktails and drink history are a hobby that I could see doing as a professional and possibly enjoying. I have two other jobs, but I don't have a 'career' or anything tying me down to a 9 to 5, and I'd probably make more doing this anyway. Seems worth trying.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sega 32X posted:

Unless you're at a super successful spot with a huge support team (which had its own issues), cocktail bartending is 50% cleaning and prepping poo poo, 30% dealing with guests, 18% making the same drinks over and over (while doing the previous two things simultaneously), and 2% actually doing that creative and romantic cocktail creation poo poo people fantasize about when they think they want to be a cocktail bartender. Unless you're a hot poo poo bartender already, you should ask yourself if you're cool with mopping floors, cutting and juicing fruit, making syrups, and sometimes scrubbing toilets on Friday at 3am when everyone else is either getting laid or sleeping off the drunk they got to develop while you are working.

I mean I love it but most people aren't dumb like me. At least it's better than back of house if you are good with people?

Fart Car '97 posted:

If your priority is cocktails, then don't. If your priority is taking care of people and making sure they have a good time even if they poo poo on you, then go for it. I fell in love with bartending first, then transitioned to cocktails after that. You won't make it if you're in it for the drinks. Your focus needs to be on the other side of the bar first and foremost.

Thanks for the effort replies. I'm not into the idea for the romantic/creation startender poo poo, I just want to work and get good, and none of those tasks sound much worse than what I already do (I've worked customer service for over a decade and now I teach college). Luckily, I live in a huge metropolitan with a very active and well-managed cocktail bar scene, so there are a lot of options and opportunities. But yeah, I expect to be on prep, juicing duties and general barback work for an indefinite amount of time no matter where I go.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Maestro posted:

Yes, but that’s the first time I’ve seen to shake a White Russian. Ive seen the flaky appearance before and have wondered the same.

Maybe it’s correlated to my big question nowadays:
Why do some of my egg white cocktails not foam up as much as the others?

What's your technique? Dry shake, then ice shake?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

sean10mm posted:

Mine always tastes too harsh. Like the initial taste is nice, then in the "middle" it always tastes way too harsh, but then the finish is nice.

I'm starting with 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar, couple dashes of bitters and a splash of water. Dissolve the sugar, add 1 1/2oz rye and ice and an orange peel if I've got some handy.

Maybe a dumb question, but you're stirring your drinks on ice for aprox 30 secs and straining over large block ice, yeah?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You just reminded me of this old chestnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tWZDLQeq2I

All old fashioneds need a pint of Beam

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Best old fashioned I ever had was with maple bitters and a smoke component, so yeah, do what feels right.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like the peel, it's like the evidence of the work that went into it. It also adds an extra nose component, if it's not fully submerged.

Flaming, though. That's some flashy bullshit.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I assumed you weren't a bartender. I've flamed plenty of peels and have never tasted a difference, so doing it at home without an audience would be pointless.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Klauser posted:

My wife and I will be in Houston from the 26th to the 30th.

Does anyone have any cocktail bar recommendations? We usually like things on the quieter side where we can have some face time with the bartender to talk about what we like and go from there.

That usually means going in earlier but we're fine with that. Good food is a bonus but not a dealbreaker.

Tongue-Cut Sparrow. Same owners as Anvil, with an emphasis on classic cocktails and a max occupancy of 25. It's dark, nothing but jazz on the stereo, and the bartenders are top notch and always willing to talk about drinks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Presuming there's soda water, a highball with johnnie black and a twist.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ColHannibal posted:

Why does your martini have ice in it.

Only the best martinis are served on the rocks
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/898015707463643137?s=21

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, it's one thing being a stodgy rear end in a top hat afraid of any change or creativity. But there's nothing wrong with being a bit protective of tradition so that a drink's entire identity doesn't turn out like the martini did in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there much versatile use for Bonal or Becherovka? I'm thinking about picking them up for a particular drink, but I'd feel better spending the $ if there were a bunch of things I could use them for.