Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Comb Your Beard posted:

Reluctant to commit to picking up a new amaro

I feel the same way but it's only because I already have bottles of Averna and Montenegro and Lucano and Silano and Nonino and Etna and Foro and Meletti and Cynar and Zucca etc. I think Meletti is my favorite at the moment.

I never saw this thread before because I usually don't look at GWS but I feel like I ought to post here because I'm starting to go insane and I'm working on making my own tonic water and malort and I plan on actually making a double digit number of cocktails from the Aviary book at home.

I think the best cocktail I've come up with is one I call the Leather Bucket. equal parts:

gin
Letherbee fernet
Zucca -- a rhubarb amaro
Cardamaro -- a wine-based amaro with cardamom and other botanicals

Fernet Branca doesn't work very well--it's too minty (what kind of psychopath enjoys Branca Menta, I don't know). If you can't find Letherbee another fernet like Meletti Fernet or R Jelinek can work. Also you can use Sfumato instead of Zucca if you want it a little smoky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Cardamaro is not Cardamom flavored, it is flavored by Cardoon- a thistle similar to artichoke. It's like a milder Cynar.

Well aren't I embarrassed. Not as bad as mixing up cassia and quassia I suppose!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

It's a public holiday in the height of summer, so that means it's Camparty time.

I'm having a carbonated Negroni right now

(it was leftover from a half and half carbonated Negroni/white lady recipe, they layer very well)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Actually you need to double down on the bitter and use Punt e Mes (okay not all the time but sometimes).

I wonder just how much sweeter and less bitter Campari is than it used to be. Someday I’ll pay a zillion dollars to go to one of those silly bars here in Chicago with old bottles like the Milk Room or the Office at the Aviary. On the same note,, they sell the original Suze formula now and it makes modern Suze taste like sweet garbage in comparison

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I tried my hand at doing a vacpot cocktail. I don't have nearly all the ingredients on hand from any from the Aviary cocktail book but I tried to get an idea from their recipes. Here's what I went with:

2 1/2 oz Bombay Sapphire
1/2 oz Koval rose hip liqueur
1/2 oz Salers
1 oz simple syrup
1g citric acid

botanicals:
lemongrass tea
green cardamom
coriander
allspice
cinnamon
1/2 lemon peel
1 slice lemon

I let it infuse for about 2 minutes. The vacuum that formed only sucked about 90% of the liquid back down and the rest just dripped; I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that.

The result was nice but quite a bit more tart than I would have liked. I should have omitted the lemon slice and maybe added or substituted orange peel. Also I think I need a much stronger tea to balance it out, maybe even a pu'er. It's still promising. The aroma was really great. I should try going much simpler too to see if I can highlight the botanicals more. Maybe even use vodka and do a quick "gin".

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Insane spam post

Esplette You Finish from pg. 145 of the Aviary cocktail book. It's pretty great. And it gets spicier and sprucier the more you let the ice melt. Definitely the most effort I've put into a cocktail, but I'm not disappointed at all--plus it will be a lot easier to do again in the future. I'm sure I can get away with using another rosé wine that isn't basque too considering how much is going on.

e: I just realized this makes a lot less sense without a picture of the wine one infuses with strawberries

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 21, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

prayer group posted:

Holy Christ, two ounces of Campari is more than you'd ever use in anything. Never trust whatever website that was again. You just need enough to turn the beer a little red, maybe half an ounce at most.

One of my favorite cocktails has 2oz Campari :colbert:

Teresa from The Joy of Mixology:
2 oz Campari
1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz creme de cassis

Like a liquid sweettart. I should try it with come clarified lime juice and see how that changes it, come to think of it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I tried a Teresa with clarified lime juice and the citrus was not strong enough to balance it. Maybe if I had used sloe gin or Chambord instead and in a smaller amount. Anyway, after a couple of sips I carbonated it and it was pretty great that way.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Speaking of colonialism, has anyone made their own tonic water before? I'm giving it a go now, kind of a combination of a few recipes I've found online. Chopped cinchona with lemongrass, peel and juice of lime, lemon, orange, and grapefruit, with some allspice, gentian, and mace for good measure. And of course citric acid. I'm eager to see how it turns out. I might try just making tonic syrup in the future.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

My tonic water is too sour. I was skeptical of the recipe saying to add juice and not just zest of citrus. It's not as bad when I leave it flat, but who wants flat tonic water? It's still all right for a starting point.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I tried a cocktail from the Amaro book tonight that I think is going to be one of my new favorites, especially as a wintry drink

Flip Ya For Real
1.5 oz Fernet-Vallet
1 oz Ancho Reyes
.5 oz Demerara syrup
whole egg
ground cinnamon garnish

I had never even heard of Fernet-Vallet until a few months ago when I just came across a bottle and reflexively bought it because, hey, even if "buy every new amaro you see" isn't quite practical, "buy every new fernet you see" is doable. I'm terrible at describing flavors. It's earthy and surprisingly unsyrupy and not minty like Branca nor sweet like Jelinek.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I'm having Dave Arnold's Champari Spritz now: just Campari and water with "champagne acid" (50/50 lactic/tartaric acid) carbonated then served in a champagne flute. It really is the answer to the question nobody asked, "What if Campari were like a champagne?"

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Gimme the fuckin specs I have all those right now

48 mL campari
11 mL champagne acid (3g lactic acid, 3g tartaric acid, 94mL water for a batch)
94 mL water
carbonate at 42 psi

If you don't have a carbonation rig I'm sure just using seltzer for the water would work, especially given the champagne acid

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I finally tried my hand at (reverse) spherification with some homemade limoncello. I need to work on my technique a bit but it basically worked out. The problem is that I got some extraneous gel on most of my spheres that I couldn't easy cut off entirely without cutting them open, and because they're yellow it basically looks like raw eggs, which is good or bad depending on one's disposition I suppose

It was fun seeing everyone's instant reaction when they were expecting it to be like jello and got the liquid inside.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

You definitely need to dry shake eggs (at least for a gin fizz or any flip) and yeah in a boston shaker OR...you can also just use an immersion blender before shaking with ice instead....DOUBLE OR if you find an old-timey drink mixer (milkshake blender) at a garage sale, use that instead

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

So I have an ISI and NO2, I've done rapid infusions for cocoa nib rum and then lemoncello. What's another good one? Is mint Bailey's a thing? For that matter, can I infuse things with fat in them, or will the NO2 do something weird to the homogenization?

Turmeric gin is probably my favorite rapid infusion so far. Also, while it's not booze, making cold brew coffee in a couple of hours is another great use for rapid infusion.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

inferis posted:

Is there a difference between brands of vodka? What’s the difference between an $8 bottle and a $29 bottle? Also is gin just a type of flavored vodka?

Others have already said this basically, but yeah while there is terrible cheap vodka, but there is little (or no) difference between okay vodka and fancy vodka. My go-to is Svedka: you can get a handle for around $20. Could I tell the difference between it and a "fancy" vodka straight? Maybe. Could anyone on Earth tell the difference when I use it vs. something else as the base for an infusion or a flavored hard soda? Absolutely not.

I mean I guess having nice vodka matters if you like vodka martinis but still not as much as the vermouth!

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 23, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Carillon posted:

I've run out of vermouth

Then let them drink quinquina! :monocle:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Oh hey, since everyone is asking about refrigeration...do I need to refrigerate something I've milk washed? I honestly have no idea. I have been just to be safe (it's the coffee-infused Ron Zacapa recipe from Liquid Intelligence).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Be a pretentious rear end in a top hat and infuse tequila with jalapeño in a whipping siphon and then clarify some lime juice with agar agar then make a margarita with it both of those and some simple syrup and carbonate it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Didn't even acid adjust the like juice smh

Hey now, I've also made the crazy fake lime juice with citric, malic, tartaric, and phosporic acid (it's not good enough to replace lime juice as an actual ingredient imo but it is def enough to replace a squeeze of lime)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Data Graham posted:

drat, all I've got's this Calvados I've been trying to find a good use for.

Diki-Diki Cocktail

Calvados
Swedish Punsch
grapefruit juice

The classic recipe is 2:1:1 but I prefer Dr. Cocktail's proportions: 1 1/2 oz, 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz

I guess this only helps if you have Swedish Punsch, but if you don't,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMqiFCOaqA&t=25s

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Kenning posted:

I feel like if someone's like, "I have Calvados what should I make with it" and you recommend a recipe with Swedish Punsch that's like the biggest flex imaginable.

I mean what else do you make with it except a fancy sidecar or fancy jack rose? Anything else would have even less common ingredients

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

On that note, is there an app that has some kind of crowdsourced database? Obviously it will probably be full of bullshit like Harvey Wallbanger #34 using Sprite and such, so I'm guessing it would need to be independent of the regular database. But it would be good to be able to share something easily.

How about one that lets you add your own ingredients?

It's not an app (and it doesn't even have a great mobile web interface) but Kindred Cocktails is basically this, and the guy who runs it fairly aggressively curates it so there isn't a bunch of junk on there. The user submissions are generally cocktail-nerdy drinks. It also has a tool for helping you come up with your own cocktail book of recipes that you like. It's definitely a great resource if you're like me and pick up some random bottle like say Riga Black Balsam and are looking for ideas for recipes with it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

It's just a dumb tamagotchi-like game rather than an actual cocktail app. You harvest seeds to order drinks, and talk to the bartenders/regulars that come through. I don't think there's an English version available.
https://www.serori.co.jp/hambar/

if youre going to play a bartender game why would it NOT be VA-11 Hall-A?!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

eke out posted:

i was looking into doing this and it's basically just
- infuse a bunch of peels in neutral spirit
- after a few weeks, add simple syrup to preferred sweetness level

am i missing anything or would that do the trick?

You can also do it in a few hours if you’re a dork and infuse sous vide

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Can somebody suggest simple mocktails?

*urge to post insanely involved mocktail recipes intensifies*

The Campari substitute from Zero by the Alinea/Aviary guys. It's really good. So far have had success with this, fake sweet vermouth, fake gin, fake tequila, and fake triple sec. The fake mezcal (involving burnt pineapple skin and liquid smoke) was a failure though. I should just try their crazy original mocktails that aren't just substitutes though.

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 24, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

Same. I really only fresh squeeze juice if I'm entertaining (which obviously isn't happening much these days), if I'm treating myself, or if I've basically peeled the whole thing and it's either that or throw it away.

I made some lime cordial tonight with this recipe, and I'm pretty sure I'm only drinking Gimlets the rest of the summer. Holy moly this is good stuff.

Maybe I'll horseshoe and go back, but I've come around to only using fresh juice (except pineapple juice and even that's a matter of time till I cave) but as a pretentious rear end in a top hat I only drink gimlets with Rose's since that's how the Brit in The Long Goodbye said to do it (okay and because it's better) so I am definitely going to try this out

e: I'm also told a fresh lime juice gimlet can be good with powdered sugar but I've never tried to make one nor gone to a place like the Matchbox in Chicago that supposedly does them well

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

The Maestro posted:

He may have been a dual citizen but Chandler was born in Chicago. And a fresh lime gimlet is delicious. It’s a gin sour, why wouldn’t it be good

I mean the British guy at the bar drinking with Marlowe in the novel. And I almost always think it's silly to defer to a recipe just because of some tradition or lore, but I really like the 1:1 gin : Rose's gimlet, but it's something so sour that you probably wouldn't try it if you didn't have a pretext to.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I love Bananardiers.

1 bourbon
1 sweet vermouth
0.5 campari
0.5 creme de banane

You're a madman.

Maybe a slim quarter of an ounce of Florentino (it's basically banana Galliano).

Okay now I have to try this

e: Trip report

30 mL Elijah Craig
30 mL Cocchi di Torino
20 mL cacao nib-infused Campari (why not)
10 mL Florentino

I like it, and it is interestingly complex, but the finish is terrible

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 7, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Don't use banana Galiano wth, you're adding herbal bitterness along with sweet. Is this the "make drinks with wrong specs and then say they are gross" thread now lol

Edit: sorry for the double post and aggression, didn't mean to come off so mad :(

Counterpoint: the Wrong Negroni Sbagliato is actually a drink (which is a little bit gross imo)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

Master Blender of Johnnie Walker is Dr. Jim Beveridge.

Yorba Linda Fire Water District

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

wormil posted:

There is blind taste test video by Playboy and their expert picked Popov as his favorite.

https://youtu.be/yCrKjZrg-eA

Imagine a sapling growing out of a large crack in the sidewalk. There's decent amount of visible dirt at its base. After a fresh rain, a puddle forms around it. Collect the muddy rainwater, and drink it.

That's what Popov tastes like.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Good white creme de cacao is weirdly the thing I have had the hardest time finding just about ever, even in places with a great selection and a surprising number of obscure liqueurs and amari. What the hell

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

prayer group posted:

No poo poo, the best one I've had is the Godiva one.

Do they actually make one? I don’t mean white chocolate liqueur, I mean a clear one.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I may be insane, but I swear that peeled lemons keep longer than intact lemons. I mean, I've removed the sugar so it makes sense, maybe? The pith eventually gets hard as hell but the juice still seems fine for a couple of weeks.

Also I just got a standing citrus press and now Life is Good

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

wormil posted:

Who drinks Seagram's 7? I mean generally speaking, I'm assuming there are bartenders here so I'm wondering if it's used as a well whiskey or in cocktails besides 7&7; or specifically if you want to out yourself. 30+ years ago 7&7 were popular but I haven't seen anyone order one in almost that long. No one talks about it, never seen anyone buy it, but it's positioned near the front counter in our local liquor store. Weeks ago I bought a pint for shits & giggles, decided to mix it 1:1 with Fever Tree ginger beer over ice and I'd rather have this than a Russian Mule. I know they are popular and have a cool name but deep down I'm not the biggest fan of vodka. By itself S7 is bland but inoffensive, no depth but no bad flavors. Seems like an excellent substitute for vodka.

Some people think that Seagram's 7 is a bad whiskey. They are mistaken. It is a bad combination of 3/4 neutral grain spirits and 1/4 whiskey.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

thetan_guy42 posted:

anyone have a go to peated scotch for cocktailing?

If you want to make cocktails and don't want to feel guilty about using a nice peated single malt (and hell, even the no-age Bowmore isn't that cheap), no joke, Trader Joe's has a peated scotch called Islay Storm that's $20 a bottle. It's not too complex, but it is nice and smokey.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Also depends where you are, I can't get Compass Box or Trader Joe's liquor in Pennsylvania.

Or Bruichladdich, which is more irksome, to be honest.

Here in Illinois in a bar or restaurant you're likely to find Bruichladdich only in a place with a vast selection, or a very, very small one, because they don't go with either of the big Mafia-style liquor distributors that make up 90% of the market. I'm sure PA with its package stores is somehow even more byzantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is Espilon a good tequila for this, or should I use something different?

It's drat near ideal for infusions since it's smooth enough not to get any funky notes highlighted but has enough agave flavor that it doesn't get totally obscured. It's Dave Arnold's recommendation too for quick infusion with a whipped cream canister, which is great if you want more jalapeno flavor without it being as spicy.