Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I'm mostly done building my bar - I've been following the 12 Bottle Bar list to start and expanding where it felt appropriate. However, I bought Plymouth gin, mixed up an Aviation, and remembered that I Don't Like Gin.

I want to like gin, though. What's a good way for me to ease into gin? As I said, I own a bottle of Plymouth, but if I really need to taste something else in order to "get it" I will seek it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Base Emitter posted:

That's interesting, I used to not like gin either, but I found Plymouth to be more approachable than others, and its still mostly what I use.

I just started with a basic gin-and-tonic, which will dilute the gin and mellow the taste more than an Aviation will, and there won't be any confusion about other flavors. Put as much tonic and ice in as you like, and work towards the "right" ratio.

To be fair to Plymouth, I like it more than any other gin I've had in the past. I just have trouble getting past that medicinal juniper twang. It's weird, because I enjoy islay scotch, and Laphroaig in particular has an iodine character that doesn't bother me at all. Maybe because it's hiding under all that peat.

I will try a gimlet, and when I am feeling crafty I will attempt a Ramos. Thanks for the advice, folks.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Kenning posted:

I personally don't really care for the 12 bottle bar. I have a much better system for building a bar that I developed and typed up and then this thread was posted first so oh well. But seriously, gold rum, genever, and Irish whiskey are not more important than maraschino, which I contend is the most important liqueur in the bar, except for maybe orange liqueur.

[...]

If that doesn't get you to like gin you might need to write the stuff off. Sorry duder.

I already own Maraschino, so don't worry on that. Also don't you dare talk poo poo about gold rum because Pusser's is amazing.

I am already beginning to understand the limitations of the 12 bottle bar, and I don't own all 12 bottles yet (need to pick up absinthe, brandy, irish whiskey which I usually stock but drank it all, and genever). At the same time, it's turned me on to a lot of things I knew nothing about, like the aforementioned Pusser's and Rittenhouse which is my new go-to.

We're having some folks over tomorrow night, so I'll get to try out my new cocktailing skills with guests for the first time. That should be fun.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
My aviation is 2 oz gin, 1/2 oz each of lemon and maraschino, and 1/4 oz violette. I will try it your way next time.

I mixed up my first gin and tonic tonight and it definitely made me appreciate the spirit a lot more. It's growing on me. Thanks again.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
King Hotpants' GinVenture continues:

I finally had a martini that I enjoy. I did 2 oz Plymouth Gin, 1 oz Dolin dry vermouth, 1 dash Angostura bitters. Stirred, strained, and garnished with lemon peel. This experience makes me think that most people take their martinis way too loving dry, also that olives are kinda nasty and a fresh lemon garnish really sets off the citrusy aspect of the gin.

I know asking about martinis is liable to start a fight, but i'll ask: how do y'all take your gin martinis? Also am I the only one who thinks vodka martinis are kinda gross?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Jahoodie posted:

Make a Tom Collins, Gimlet, or Gin Ricky. Try making the same drink, but vary the gin you are using to find what you like best and experiment. Don't use junk like grocery store Tom Collins mix, make your own simple syrup, squeeze your own citrus.

Yeah, my first recommendation would be to upgrade your mixers from "low to mid grade" to the best stuff you can get. Bonus: it's not as expensive as the booze you're already drinking.

I stock lemons, limes, simple syrup, tonic, club soda, mint (sometimes when it looks nice), grenadine, rose's lime (for gimlets), cherries (if you want to get fancy, make your own maraschino cherries; the ones in the jar are poo poo), and some other stuff I'm sure I'm not remembering. Citrus is dirt cheap, simply syrup takes maybe 10 minutes to make, and I end up with some really sublime drinks by not using premade lovely mixers.

If push came to shove I could probably restock the entire mixers selection for less than $20. When you're drinking $40 gin, it's really worth the time.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Y'all are overcomplicating the hell out of the Old Fashioned.

1-2 tsp simple syrup depending on taste
2-4 dashes angostura
2 oz rye or bourbon, but rye is way the hell better

Swirl the sugar and bitters in the bottom of the glass before you add the whiskey. Ice is optional. Garnish with a lemon or orange twist.

I've been making it with Rittenhouse as my "I just got home from work and I'm loving tired" drink, and I honestly don't see how it could be improved in any way.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
A good classic Old Fashioned tastes like good booze and history. Adding an orange and a cherry and all that nonsense makes it taste like some fruity cruise ship thing. Knock it off.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

The General posted:

Vodka goes in things, vodka itself isn't a thing.

More like vodka and vermouth are a vile combination that tastes of suffering and despair.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I love Rittenhouse rye. I also love how much it costs, which is "almost nothing." Something this tasty shouldn't cost $22. It just shouldn't.

If you are looking for rye cocktails that will make you love rye, you really can't go wrong with a classic Old Fashioned. 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of simple syrup, 2-4 dashes angostura, 2 oz. Rittenhouse, lemon or orange twist, ice if you like. It allows you to actually taste the spirit you're drinking without just drinking straight hooch. It's what I make when I want a drink and don't want to think too hard about what to make, which is most of the time.

e: I don't think the Old Fashioned is going to remind you of tiki drinks or gin cocktails, but it might scratch your Scotch itch in a similar way.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Yeah, I thought "normal" syrup was 1:1 and "rich" syrup was 2:1. At least that's how I've always made it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
That's a great list, Kenning. I'd like to see it put into the OP along with a list of must-have basic bar equipment and (this is important) mixers. Fresh citrus, simple syrup (along with how to make it), Angostura, et cetera. Things you absolutely need to have on hand in order to have a proper bar.

I can pinpoint the exact moment when I went from "rum and coke"-level cocktailing to "an old-fashioned doesn't have any loving fruit or soda in it"-level cocktailing, and it is the moment I bought my first bottle of Angostura bitters. It was a revelatory experience. I want to share it with other people. I think this thread could be a good way to do that.

A few notes on the list:

In my opinion, it is 100% worth your money to go buy a really good gin like Plymouth or Hendricks or whatever you like at that level. I used to think I hated gin. Really I just hate bad gin. Go figure.

It is also 100% worth your money to buy Disaronno amaretto instead of whatever else they sell. I've had off-brand (non-Disaronno) amaretto three or four times and I can always tell instantly, and not in a good way.

Remy VS is cheap and delicious. My first cognac run, I bought one bottle of VS and one bottle of VSOP, and while the VSOP is definitely better I don't think I'm going to stock it regularly.

Pusser's rum is amazing and you should own it.

If you have more than one bottle of vodka and/or that bottle cost more than $25 you are Doing It Wrong. Take the money you didn't spend on vodka and use it to buy better vermouth.

That's the end of my over-opinionated bullshit; back to the thread.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Also pussers sued PKNY and forced them to change their name, though everybody still calls it "Painkiller". So their name is dirt, drink Santa Teresea instead.

I give not one single poo poo about this. Pusser's makes a fantastic rum that doesn't cost very much and they donate a serious chunk of the proceeds to charity. I will continue to buy it and drink it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I can't find orange blossom water anywhere. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
You might also look at using oak chips or pieces. They sell them at homebrew supply stores. Bag up the wood chips in cheesecloth, put that and the cocktail in a mason jar or something similar, et voila.