Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My mate, who is the best/worst influence, is getting me into cocktails.

So far the wifey and I have focused on the humble Daiquiri, but some orgeat has been ordered and we're ready for the Mai Tai.

Where should we go from here? I think we'd like something more in the "some fruit juice added" direction rather than the "hard liqueur plus other hard liqueur" Old Fashioned/Manhattan style... currently the bar has:

Xaymaca, Appleton 12YO, Havana club light and something else rums.
Bombay Sapphire, Botanist gins.
Generic tequila.
Angostura.
Port.
A fairly old bottle of Cointreau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess I made a Collins then. Very drinkable but a bit pedestrian. Tasted like something teenage girls would chug by the gallon. Also needed more lemon and less simple and maybe a more interesting gin than Tanqueray.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Impromptu Flip posted:

How do I make a lot of lime juice? Juices seem like the kind of thing I should prepare a lot of in advance

I’m also just starting out, but I can heartily recommend buying a Mexican Elbow for squeezing limes and lemons. Much quicker, better yield.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Important announcement, I have discovered that there is apparently some kind of biochemical reaction that may be specific to only me in which the combination of popcorn and Drambuie results in a flavor profile that is distinctly reminiscent of Round Table pizza crust.

It is so specific and so accurate that it may actually serve to assuage my cravings when I'm thousands of miles from the nearest Round Table.

Esthers are weird mang. If you put balsamico vinegar on fresh mozzarella you can get something that smells like bananas.

Edit: and it’s also perceived differently by different persons. Some people can’t smell the fruity notes in wheat beer, and whether cilantro tastes like soap to you is genetical.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

I have a bunch of rhubarb from my dads garden and want to make some rhubarb vodka. Does anyone have a good recipe and method?? A few places say to let the rhubarb sit in sugar for a day before mixing with the alcohol and a few included cinnamon and lemon and bits. I don’t know where to start so an idiots guide would be great :)

No idea about vodka but in general rhubarb is sour as gently caress and requires lots of sugar.

Leaves your pots shining clean tho!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Made Spruce Gooses (Geese?) and they were pretty good! Used Hendricks, will probably try with something funkier next time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just ordered EUR300 worth of booooooze.

Plantation Original Dark Rum, 0,7 L, 40%
Pierre Ferrand Triple Sec Dry Curacao, 0,7 L, 40%
Plantation Xaymaca Special Dry Jamaica Rum 0,7L 43%
The Bitter Truth Golden Falernum Liqueur, 0,5 L, 18%
Angostura Aromatic Bitters, 0,2 L, 44,7%
Punt e Mes Vermouth, 0,75 L, 16%
Four Roses Bourbon Whiskey, 1 L, 40%
Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum, 0,7 L, 57%
Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum, 0,7 L, 63%
Plantation Rum Barbados Grande Reserve 5 Year, 0,7 L, 40%
Pusser's British Navy Overproof Rum, 0,7 L, 75%

I blame my friend. He's good company, but bad influence.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
WTF? I had no idea.

I see the article is from 20142011 - what's the status these days? Pusser's sales dropped significantly in the US, or what?

Trademarking a recipe is dumb, especially a cocktail recipe.

bolind fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 12, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I had a brainfart last night and managed to convince myself that an ounce was 5 cl.

Those were some hefty Mai Tais.

On that topic, anyone got some interesting rum combinations to try in a Mai Tai?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Tried a jungle bird with freshly squeezed pineapple juice and Appleton and it was amazeballs!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I’ve reached the conclusion that there’s something in Four Roses that my body strongly disagrees. It’s almost like the hangovers start halfway through the drink.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's good from Plantation Rum apart from the Xaymaca? For some reason my local tourist trap carries half their lineup...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just had a Hurricane with Pusser’s and that’s absolutely something that needs to be investigated closer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pussers is one of my very favorite rums, flavor wise. I just hate the way they conduct themselves. But I still buy a bottle sometimes because nothing else tastes quite like it.

But yeah, good in a hurricane, good in a Mai Tai, good in a daiquiri, good in everything.

I bought my current bottle before learning about their behaviour, so I suppose I can enjoy this one guilt free.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

Their OTFD overproof rum is phenomenal.

Two bottles on order! (One is a gift tho.)

I made a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club last night, on the Plantation Barbados non-5 year. Total poo poo show, watery and bitter. No idea what went wrong, maybe the limes were crap?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Did I bring three kinds of rum, two kinds of syrup, and a bottle of gin to the summer house? You bet. Did I remember the shaker? Uhhhhhh... :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Was just gifted a copy of Cocktail Codex. From flipping through it, it seems like they know what's up. Anyone read it?