Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got a nice bottle of Italian mirto and want to know what to do with it. I tried it on the rocks and it is too syrupy and sweet, almost Jaeger-ish but I think it has a good flavor that could work well in a cocktail.

Anyone know a good cocktail recipe that uses mirto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Klauser posted:

Knowledge Bomb

Klauser, I was recently gifted a bottle of Italian "mirto" and a bottle of Benedictine. Any recommendations for cocktails that use either of those?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vegetable Melange posted:

Mirto is good stuff, elderberry liquor. I mix mine with fernet and mulled cider with five spice powder. Good holiday juice.

Interesting...to me it tasted nothing like St. Germaine. More syrupy, sort of like Jaeger.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I finally got the supplies and made a variant of The Last Word that was given to me at a local restaurant.

1oz Bluecoat Gin
0.5oz Yellow Chartreause
0.5oz Galliano
1oz Lemon Juice
1oz Orchard Pear

Combine with ice, shake, strain. Delicious.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I accidentally bought Cynar when I meant to buy Maraschino. Can anyone (Krauser) recommend any good cocktails that use Cynar? Ideally with Gin as well?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Klauser posted:

Cynar is amazing, one of my favorite bottles. It brings a vegetal funky bitterness that really can't be duplicated. It goes in one of my favorite drinks:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir/old fashioned/lemon peel

As this is a bottle that is never not on my bar, I've made more than a handful:

Shea LaReece - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz Cynar, .5oz Lillet, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/rosewater rinse coupe/flamed orange peel
Too Soon? - 1oz gin, 1oz Cynar, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, 2 orange wedge. Shake/coupe.
Black Lodge - 1.5oz rye, .5oz Cynar, .5oz cherry liqueur, .5oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned/orange peel
Fitty - 1.25oz gin, .5oz ginger liqueur, .5oz dry vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe.
Smoking Jacket - 1.5oz blended scotch, .75oz Cynar, .75oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters. Stir/iced double old fashioned
Lady Sniper - 1oz each blanco tequila, Cynar, Yellow Chartreuse. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
Valkyrie - 2oz rye, .5oz amaro, .5oz Cynar, .25oz elderflower liqueur. Stir/rocks/discard grapefruit twist.
Creeping Death - .75oz each gin, orange liqueur, Cynar, lemon juice. Shake/absinthe rinsed coupe.
Little Italy - 2oz rye, .75 oz sweet vermouth, .5oz Cynar. Stir/coupe/cherry garnish.
Tenderoni - 1oz each Cynar, dry vermouth, aged rum, 2 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe/orange peel.
Autumn Evening - 1oz bourbon, .75oz Cynar, 1oz ginger liqueur, 3 dashes orange bitters. Stir/coupe.
The French Intervention - 2oz tequila, .5oz Cynar, .5oz elderflower liqueur, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel
Cin Cyn - 1oz each Gin, Cynar, & Sweet Vermouth, 2dashes orange bitters. Stir/Coupe/Orange peel.
Art of Choke - 1oz rum, 1oz Cynar, .125oz lime, .125oz demerara syrup, .25oz Green Chartreuse, ~3 mint leaves. Muddle/stir/iced rocks/sprig
Ce Soir - 1.5oz cognac, .75oz Cynar, .5oz Yellow Chartreuse, 1dash orange bitters, 1dash Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel.
The Grand Street - 2oz gin, .5oz sweet vermouth, .25oz Cynar, .25oz maraschino liqueur. Stir/coupe.
Doff Your Hat - 1oz Genever, .75oz sweet vermouth, .75oz Cynar, .5oz orange liqueur, 1dash orange bitters. Stir/old fashioned/orange peel
Bitterly Twisted - 1.5oz bourbon, .5oz Cynar, 1.5oz grapefruit juice, 2 dashes orange bitters. Shake/coupe/grapefruit twist garnish

Tip o' the cap to you. I also read about the Cynar Flip and want to try that. 2.5oz Cynar, 1oz simple, 1 whole egg. Shaken like the dickens.

Random question: whats the rule of thumb on shelf life for homemade simple syrup? Refrigerated obviously. Can it be extended with some sort of preservative?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Invalid Octopus posted:

I usually add 0.5-1 oz of vodka to it, that keeps it good for ages.

Whats the ratio of vodka to water (assuming 2x sugar to water)?

Edit:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I also read about the Cynar Flip and want to try that. 2.5oz Cynar, 1oz simple, 1 whole egg. Shaken like the dickens.

I just made this sans simple and it is loving incredible. I heartily endorse this product and pray to stave of salmonella.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Request from my girlfriend: anyone know any good cocktails with grappa as the main ingredient?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Happy birthday to me...

I am thinking of kicking things off with an Aviation.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Alcoholic gifts are the best gifts.

Klauser posted a bunch of Lillet cocktails one page back if you're looking for some ideas.

Good call, thanks to you and Krauser. Tonight with the new bottles I have tried a Last Word, an Aviation, and a Vieux Mot which was incredible.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My current bar:

From left to right:

New Amsterdam Gin (bulk gin for G&Ts)
Uncle Val's Botanical Gin (good gin for cocktails)
Carta Vieja (Panamanian Rum)
Luna Azul (Tequila)
Two different grappa bottles
Woodford Reserve and Russel's Reserve bourbons
Benedictine
Luxardo bitters (cheap Campari)
Galliano
Maraschino
Cynar (the M.V.P.)
Green Chartreuse
Creme de Violette
St. Elder
Fernet Branca
Mirto
Lillet
Home-made Creme de Menthe
Razzmatazz, Blue curacao, and 95% grain alcohol

Feeling pretty good but I still want to get some Aperol and a variety of bitters.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I heard about the 'Art of Choke' from a couple different sources and figured that it was sign, so I went and bought a bottle of Cynar and tried it out.

Art of Choke: 1 oz rum, 1oz Cynar, 1/8 oz lime, 1/8 oz simple syrup, 1/4 oz green Chartreuse, mint. Muddle, stir, iced rocks glass

What a crazy rear end drink this is. I'm still getting used to the whole funky vegetable flavor but somehow the crazy combination of ingredients comes together to make something cohesive. I still prefer Cynar when it's used in some of the less adventurous Manhattan variations but this recipe made me want to branch out and see how it can work with other less obvious ingredients.

Definitely will be trying that. The best Cynar drink I've found is very simple; the Cynar Flip. 3oz Cynar, 1 whole raw egg, shaken like crazy with ice.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 8, 2013

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
For my birthday I got a nice looking bottle of El Buho mezcal. Any good mezcal cocktail recipes anyone (Krauser) can recommend?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Since we're doing gin chat, New Amsterdam is a very solid workhorse gin for G&Ts and other cocktails that benefit from a citrus-y gin. I pretty much always have a 1.75L of that and a smaller bottle of nicer stuff (Bluecoat was a great recommendation) for nicer cocktails.

Also, for Christmas, I got a bottle of this from the in-laws:

Not really sure how to describe it but it's quite nice.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Phfff, Everclear. Get on my level:

As an aside, anyone got some cocktail recommendations featuring Galliano?

I'll offer up one I coaxed a beleaguered waitress into divulging:

Next Word

1 oz Gin (Bluecoat pref)
.5 oz Galliano
.5 oz lemon
1 oz Orchard Pear

Shake, strain into coupe

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I wanted to share a drink I've come to adore:

Corn and Oil

2 oz Dark Rum
1 oz Velvet Falernum
0.75 oz Lime
4 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake, Coupe (or maybe bigger than coupe)

It's very sweet but interesting enough to not be cloying.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My sister got me a bottle of pomegranate molasses for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into cocktails. It has the consistency of warm honey and a color of day-old blood. It's sweet but not like grenadine and it doesn't seem to do what I want it to do when added to drinks. Is there some minor prep I can do to turn this into a good grenadine?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Carillon posted:

Honestly on the water front, if you have good water it's super easy to carbonate your own. I held off a long time thinking I didn't have the space or whatever, but it's been a game changer. I can get super sparkling 2 liters of water when I want! Plus if you've never had a carbonated Manhattan they are amazing.

Just to add to this, if you already have a Sodastream (or can buy one on Craigslist like I did) you can buy an adaptor on Amazon for like $40 that will let a standard industrial CO2 tank plumb in.

I got a 20lb tank and it lets us do like ~3 liters of seltzer a day for 9 months between refills which are like $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

obi_ant posted:

This seems like a total overkill, but at the same time pretty cool.

Yeah you can use a smaller CO2 tank as needed. We just go through a ton of seltzer and the sodastream refills are crimal levels of rip-off. (also their production plant is on occupied territory in the West Bank)