Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Two Worlds posted:

I was given a bottle of lavender bitters. It is really strong and expensive. Any ideas?

Try adding a dash or two to the Bee's Knees:

2.0 oz. gin
0.75 oz honey syrup (mix equal parts hot water and honey, let cool)
0.5 oz lemon juice

Shake, strain, serve up.

I read a few recipes for this cocktail that called for obscure floral ingredients, so your lavender bitters may achieve a similar effect, as well as rounding out what a cocktail that is on the sweet side.

E: Typo.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Dale DeGroff, here's his Margarita recipe:

2 oz. Tequila
1 oz. Cointreau
0.75 oz. lime juice

And his "Cadillac" Margarita:

2.0oz. El Tesoro Tequila
1.0oz. Grand Marnier
0.75 oz. lime juice
1.0 oz. simple syrup

And I heard someone (it might have been DeGroff) suggest only salting half the rim. If you're making it for someone else, it gives them the option of salted or unsalted sips.

A frosty glass also picks up salt and sugar very well.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

that Vai sound posted:

I recently had a couple cocktails that had a frothy texture. How do you get that?
If you shake anything hard enough, it will froth. Drinks with fruit juice will froth well. Drinks with milk, cream, and egg whites will be super-frothy.

E: I haven't studied this technique, but I think highballs will also froth under the right conditions. I think if you open a carbonated mixer at room temperature, pour it over ice and the other ingredients, it will release a lot of carbonation at once, making a light froth. I also know that milk and soda makes good froth (like an egg cream or a root beer float).

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2011

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Klauser posted:

^^^ That does sound really sweet. Get some citrus, or maybe some kind of bitter (Campari?) to balance it out.

--

So on a recent trip to the store I bought a mason jar of Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine on a whim. It is really surprising me with how much I like it and how versatile it is. While it definitely has 'rocket fuel' qualities, if you can get past it, there is some really good flavor there. It's not something you would sip on its own, but it brings a lot to the table in the right cocktail. I've really been having fun finding stuff to put it in.

Mount 'N Rita

1.5oz unaged corn whiskey
1oz triple sec
1oz lime juice
.25oz simple syrup

Stir/strain. Lime wedge garnish.

Where were you a few months ago when I was trying to get rid of a bottle (jar!) of Georgia Moon? I ended up making a lot of white whiskey rickeys, though. A nice drink on a hot day:

1.5 oz. white whiskey
1.0 oz. lime juice
5.0 oz. club soda

Build as a highball over ice.

For a stronger taste, try Dale Degroff's alternate proportions:

1.5 oz. spirit (gin, bourbon, rye, what have you)
0.75 oz. lime juice
1.75 oz. soda

But there's no wrong way to make a rickey, really. Substitute spirits. Mix to taste. A wonderful, simple drink.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Very Strange Things posted:

Here is the shaker we've used for the last 6 months or so. When I got it it was only $13; it is $20 now but eligible for one of those 4-for-3 promotions Amazon does. It feels great, and has 26 oz. capacity.

It's probably not professional level, but you might like it for 20 bucks.

Oggi Marilyn Tall and Slim Cocktail Shaker

This is the shaker I bought for myself. It's handsome, doesn't leak. It gets the job done, and I totally recommend it.

Doh004 posted:

I'm looking to make some Old Fashioned's this weekend. What should I get in terms of liquor? Bourbon, rye or...?

I think bourbon is the traditional spirit in an old fashioned. Rye will do, though, if you want a drier flavor. I think any brand of these will do -- it depends on what you're willing to spend. Just look for "straight bourbon" or "straight rye" as it indicates a certain quality.

Though I read they drink brandy old fashioneds in the Midwest...? :psyduck:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Very Strange Things posted:

I really want to try rye, but the only rye I've found locally is Jim Beam rye and I assume it sucks.
You shouldn't judge something without trying it. Jim Beam is a big operation, but it has a reputation for quality. It may not be artisan rye whiskey, but it meets the requirements for "straight rye," so I think you should give it a shot (heh) to give yourself a baseline against which to measure other rye whiskeys.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

So I drink a fair amount of beer and wine. I enjoy cocktails a lot, too, but I don't make them at home and I haven't been ordering them when I go out for ages. Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I have the completely unresearched idea that switching over to cocktails will cut some of those calories, or at least it would give me more options than switching to light beers. Is my thinking mistaken? Is it all about the mixers like I assume? If so, does anyone have any good low-calorie cocktail recipes involving whiskey, burbon, or rum? I could do vodka or tequila if my hand were forced. If it gives a good basis for recommendation, my three favorite cocktails are Manhattans, Sidecars, and Whiskey Ginger Ale.
All alcohol is shockingly high-cal. The best way to cut down on calories is to drink less. If you want to drink the same amount, but keep calories low, I'm afraid you'll have to develop a taste for club soda as a mixer. Whiskey-sodas and brandy-sodas are classy, old-school beverages. Rickeys are great, too.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Keyser S0ze posted:

Don Draper uses Old Overholt Rye (made by Jim Beam I think)

There are shitloads of Rye's out there now....they are drier and spicier but perfect for manhattan's or sazerac's.

You should be able to at least find the Bulleitt Rye (even their regular bottling has a high percentage of rye), and Russel's Reserve.

As a Mad Men aficionado , I must interject. While Joan tells Peggy, "Mr. Draper Don drinks 'rye,'" this is only partially true -- Don almost always pours himself Canadian Club.

As for his preference in Old Fashioned cocktails, he usually orders them in bars and restaurants. It's an assumption, but the standard spirit in the drink is bourbon, so that's probably what he gets. He uses Old Overholt at Roger's Kentucky Derby party, but that's only because everyone has drunk all the bourbon.

Here's a good article on the brands and spirits used in Mad Men. I think the show has done a lot to revive interest in cocktails and the hard stuff, and it's cool the series pays so much attention to detail.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Manuel Calavera posted:

I figure this would be the best place to ask. I'm off for Thanksgiving AND Black Friday this year, so I want to make a good solid eggnog, possibly with raw egg. Anyone got any preferred well tested recipes?

I made Dale DeGroff's "Uncle Angelo's" eggnog last winter.

Ingredients (for six people)
6 eggs (separated)
1 quart milk [I used 2%]
1 pint cream [I used light cream]
1 tbsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
6 oz. bourbon [I used Wild Turkey 101]
6 oz. spice rum [I used Kraken]

Directions
Beat egg yolks until white, adding half a cup of sugar as you beat. Add milk, cream and liquor to finished yolks. Then beat egg whites until they peak. [I used an automatic egg beater -- it seems like hard work otherwise] Fold whites into mixture. Grate fresh nutmeg over drink.

The recipe worked out well and was a big hit.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Corvettefisher posted:

My room mates 21st is coming up, not a big liquor drinker but likes sweet stuff(he wants me to get him a case of mikes hard).

Can anyone recommend a powerful knock you on your rear end drink that doesn't taste like liquor.
It's nothing fancy, but I'd recommend Southern Comfort and cola. SoCo is pretty loving sweet (but tasty) and comes in a 100 proof edition.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

air- posted:

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced cocktail bar in DC that makes quality drinks? It seems like every place is upwards of $10-15 a drink around here. So far Darnell's, Wonderland Ballroom, and The Passenger sound like they may be good, and I get a good feeling about looking in neighborhoods like U-Street, Columbia Heights. I want something along the lines of Windmill Lounge in Dallas or Poison Girl in Houston if anyone's been to either. Total dive of a place and very dumpy, but the drinks speak for themselves.

I think The Passenger probably serves up some of the best cocktails in DC, though they are generally around the $10 range. I'm not a regular, but if I had one complaint, it would be that sometimes I don't think that they stir/shake their drinks long enough, and that the glasses should be chilled a little more.

If you're in Northern Virginia, I was recently very pleased with the cocktails from Virtue in Old Town, Alexandria, near the water. Prices still near $10, but not much higher.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

royalejest posted:

Is there a midpriced, non-well, general purpose bourbon I should be using in my cocktails other than Maker's?

I just ran out, and before I restocked for Derby Day with the same stuff, I figured I'd check.

My favorite workhorse bourbons are Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, and (depending on the price), Bulleit. These are more assertive Bourbons than Maker's Mark, though, so consider that. If you want to keep with wheated bourbons, try Old Fitzgerald. Evan Williams Black also consistently comes up as a good buy -- I think it's supposed to have a balanced flavor.

Edit: I've always wanted to try Bernheim Wheat as a mixing whiskey (for the softer, gentler Manhattan). Anyone have any experience with this?

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 7, 2012

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'd have to try it, but my initial thought is that the addition of simple syrup would make it too sweet.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

The General posted:

I have a lot of extra vermouth because the stuff is cheap, and I'll probably get around to using it all eventually (my collection is small right now). How long does the stuff keep for? It's only 15%, so I'm assuming I can't just leave it on the counter once it's been opened?

Refrigerate that poo poo! A good way to get through surplus red vermouth (if you need to) is to drink it Spanish style -- on the rocks with a lemon wedge. Add soda water if you like. Excellent on a hot day.

I think this would probably work well with other vermouth styles, too, but I'm not sure.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Thoht posted:

Dark rum.

This is the correct answer.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'd say that all Amari are liqueurs, but not all liqueurs are Amari...

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Corvettefisher posted:

Sounds better than that turntable double shot I did, so much puke in so little time.

Anyone have some good rum based mixes other than rum and coke?

Rum and tonic is an oddball, and a little sweet, but I think it's a good, straightforward drink.

I'd also try a rum rickey -- rum and club soda with half a lime's worth of juice -- and the classic Dark and Stormy -- black rum with ginger beer and plenty of lime juice as well.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

rj54x posted:

So I recently came into many bunches of several different kinds of basil. I've been thinking I'd like to make a cocktail with some of them, but I'd rather it wasn't a gin base. Any other suggestions that will really highlight the flavor of the (home-grown, of course) basil? In a slightly different direction, would a vodka infusion be a good idea?

The New York Times had some good, simple cocktail recommendations for summer last year. This was one of them:

Live Basil Gimlet
5 large basil leaves
1.5 oz gin
0.75 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz simple syrup

Press/muddle four of the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice. Add the simple syrup, lime juice, and gin. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass with the remaining basil leaf used as a garnish.

Basil's kind of a funky ingredient, so I don't know if I'm too keen on the drink myself, but I applaud the drink's simplicity. Less is more, I always say...

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Google isn't really helping me, but I bought a bag of key limes because I don't know why.

Can they be substitutes for regular limes, or are there special drinks I could make with them? I don't have as many obscure liquors/spirits as lots of people here, but I have a good assortment of stuff.

Ha ha, I don't know of any drinks that use key lime juice specifically. I'd say try to make normal drinks that would usually call for lime with them -- key lime daiquiris, key lime rickeys, key lime margaritas...

Otherwise, for god's sake, juice those suckers and bake yourself a key lime pie!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've always understood that the gimlet was a drink that originated on British naval vessels, since they always had ample supplies of Rose's (originally developed as a way to preserve lime juice) and gin. While I am completely in favor of using fresh fruit juice whenever possible, I think that a traditional gimlet should contain Rose's, and I think the fact that it calls for preserved lime juice instead of fresh lime juice and sugar makes it unique. Other bartenders say that it is precisely the mouth-puckering sweetness and sourness of Rose's that makes the drink.

Now, I would drink a gin and lime-sour without hesitation. I just don't think it should be called a gimlet. I do agree that people should try it both ways, though, and appreciate the difference.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kenning posted:

SubG refuted that gimlet origin story back in the last cocktail thread and I have since been perfectly happy referring to a lime-based gin sour as a Gimlet.

I'd be interested to read that explanation, but I can't find the original thread. Could you or SubG enlighten me?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kenning posted:

It wasn't in the cocktail thread, it was buried one of the old chat threads. The post in question:

[...]

It took me 20 minutes of hunting through the archives and cross-referencing dates in my PM inbox to find that post and frankly it's 20 minutes that I regret.

Well, I do not regret that time spent! Thanks very much for your trouble. That's a good line of reasoning SubG offers, and you can't really argue with the OED, can you?

Glad we see eye-to-eye on mixing Martinis, though. Keep your vermouth in the fridge, buy small bottles, and mix them no drier than 8:1. I generally make mine 2:1 and like cocktail onions (Gibsons), lemon twists, and pitted olives (no stuffing) as garnishes (in that order).

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Dale DeGroff argues that an Old Fashioned without muddled fruit is just sweetened whiskey. I agree with him, and think that a small amount of muddled fruit (one cherry, and one half-wheel of orange) adds complexity and flavor and is what really brings the drink together as a cocktail. If I wanted to savor the taste of the whiskey, I would just drink it with an ice cube. Also, if history is a criterion, people have been mixing sugar, fruit, and whiskey since 1862's Whiskey Cobbler.

As for cherries, Tillen Farms makes some pretty good ones with pretty clean ingredients, though these are probably the holy grail.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

You indict the bastardization of classic cocktails, but cocktail culture would not be what it is today if it weren't for "screwing with the classics." For example, the Martini's origins date back to 1887's Martinez (Old Tom gin/sweet vermouth/Maraschino), which itself was probably a spin on 1874's Manhattan. But that "classic" recipe should not delegitimize Martini di Arma di Taggia's 1911 dry Martini (dry gin/dry vermouth/orange bitters), Winston Churchill's "skip the vermouth" Martini, Franklin Roosevelt's Dirty Martini, or the Cold War's Vodka Martini.

So, I appreciate your conservative philosophy, and I'm sorry if I disparaged it. Indeed, I tend to agree that less is more, and I agree that a bartender should always strive to give the customer what he or she wants, and not what they think the customer should have. I just wanted to make the point that fresh, wholesome ingredients are not "bunch of dumb bullshit", and that just because a recipe or variation postdates 1900, that doesn't mean it's garbage.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Hebug posted:

No vermouth martini = you have 1 year old vermouth and/or bad taste
Dirty martini = you have bad taste
Vodka martini = you don't like flavor

That's how I see it at least. I need to get a new bottle of orange bitters, someone took mine from the last party I threw. Any recommendations? I was using Regan's previously.

Angostura makes orange bitters.

Edit: And no matter how bad their tastes, we might all be speaking German if it weren't for those Martinis!

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 29, 2012

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kenning posted:

gently caress everyone, vermouth is delicious.

Red vermouth with a squeezed lemon wedge over ice is a Spanish classic. Nothing beats it on a hot day.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tanith posted:

Just got my hands on a bottle of St. Elder liqueur last night, from Somerville MA. It's St. Germain for $20 instead of $37. Taste is pretty much indistinguishable. Savings, ahoy! :toot:

But are the elderflowers collected by bohemians on bicycles? :colbert:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have a problem for you guys to solve — I am trying to identify a disagreeable botanical used prominently in a couple of American gins.

I like gin, but I generally stick to the classic London Dry style. For reference, my preferences are squarely conservative and middlebrow — Tanqueray, Bombay, Beefeater, Broker's, etc. I've had and liked Jensen's before. I can and have enjoyed drinking glass after glass of these neat.

So, for someone who thinks of themselves as liking gin, I'm always surprised when I find one I don't like. Since it premiered here in DC, I have always been put off by the flavor of Green Hat, and I have been burned once or twice when ordering a gin cocktail by bars that use it as their house gin. At first, I suspected it might be celery seed that is responsible for Green Hat's unique taste, since it seemed like an unusual botanical for gin, but after visiting the distillery once or twice and smelling the botanicals they use, I feel like fennel reminded me most of what I was tasting.

I decided to try Death's Door for the first time and bought a bottle today. I am having a glass neat right now, and there it is again — that flavor I really don't care for.

Can any of you gin heads help me out and tell me what prominent botanical am I tasting in Green Hat and Death's Door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Maestro posted:

I think deaths door famously only uses like 5 botanicals. My first thought was lavender, as that’s the one I find most prevalent and disagreeable in new American gins, but I don’t think deaths door uses that. My offhand guess would be coriander, because I also find that in a lot of gins, but I enjoy it.

Fennel will give you the licorice note and I bet it is used pretty sparingly. I’m just gonna go look up deaths door botanicals and come back.

Ruling out fennel and juniper leaves coriander as the other main botanical in deaths door’s triumvirate. Turns out they only use those three botanicals. Perhaps it’s the malt backbone that you dislike? Or heaven forbid, the juniper?

Edit: rereading your post, it’s almost certainly the fennel.

I wanted to say thanks for this — I think I could have figured this out myself through elimination and research, but :effort: and I hadn't realized Death's Door only used three botanicals. So, :tipshat: