Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I love cocktails, very much. I have been making drinks at home, and enjoying them out, for quite some time now, and my passion for them has only grown, with no signs of slowing down. The world of cocktails is so appealing to me because I think it strikes a great balance between respecting the past and looking toward the future. Enjoying and talking about cocktails with others is one of my favorite ways to spend my time.

Topics to discuss (including but not limited to):

Building your home bar.

This is what I did: Find one drink you want to make, buy everything you need to make it properly, and then make it. Repeat this process until you are satisfied. I say 1 drink because when I say 'buy everything' I am not just talking about booze. Do you have a shaker, strainer, muddler, the proper glass to serve the drink in? Do you need citrus, something to juice the citrus, something to store your simple syrup in? Tools, spirits, juices, glassware, etc. There are lots of components that go into making a drink.

Stocking a home bar is one of those things that gets easier as you go. The initial start up can be a little daunting, that's why I urge people to start slow and keep it simple. After a while, you'll have a handful of bottles in your bar, a nice collection of glasses and tools, and an ever improving idea of what incendentals you should keep on hand (Citrus, juices, etc). Before you know it, when you find a new drink you want to try, you might only need 1 bottle, or as you progress, you'll already have everything you need.

Classic/Innovation

I will admit I am pretty curmudgeonny when it comes to this topic. I tend to prefer classic, simple cocktails. Partly because I think that's just what I prefer taste-wise, but also because I enjoy most of my cocktails at home, which means I am making it. This means drinks that are simple, easy, and delicious are what I like best. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part I think the classics fall into the simple/easy category, and the newer drinks require more preperation and tend to have longer ingredient lists. When I see a recipe that has 5+ ingredients I lose interest real quick. If you have some drinks that are fairly complicated but you think are worth it, I'm all ears.

Gear

I spent a lot of time and effort when I first started building my collection of tools. I haven't really given them much thought since then, until recently. I am thinking about replacing my Hawthorne strainer for one that is better at stopping little ice chips from getting in my drinks. This has led me to reevaluate all my tools, so that is something I'd love to talk about here.

Drink origin stories

Most great drinks have a great story. One of my favorite ways to get to know a bartender is to have them make me a French 75, and then ask them their thoughts on where the drink came from. On a recent trip to Boston, I did this very thing with two bartenders in different neighborhoods. Not only did they have 2 completely different stories, but they made me two significantly different drinks. Who was right? Who cares. Both drinks were delicious and it's just fun to talk about.

Specific brands in certain drinks

This is something I am just recently getting into. Up until now, when I would see a recipe call for a specific bottle, I would say "I don't have that specific tequila, but I have tequila, I'll just use that" I know different brands taste different, I guess I'm just not convinced that they taste different enough to warrant having multiple brands of the same thing around. Is there a certain brand of rum that is just the absolute best in a daiquiri, for example? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Recipes

Luckily, the sources for cocktail recipes are pretty much endless. Books, blogs, recipe databases, bars, other bartenders, tv shows, this thread, etc. There is so much out there that hearing what other people like and use can help you weed through the crap and make it easier to figure out what you like and what works for you.

The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff - This was the book that really got me started. A great source to find drinks you want at home and build your bar.

Ok, let's drink and talk.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So sorry for your loss.

I believe the glass you drink a cocktail out of is a significant part of the experience, so yeah, I do think it makes a difference.

If all you have right now is wine glasses, then, by all means, serve away. Keep in mind, though, that mostly there is such a thing as a proper glass for a drink.

If you're looking to expand your collection from there, I would say get some coupe glasses over martinis. I will serve those martini style drinks (Manhattan, Rob Roy, Martinez, Negroni, Cosmo) in martini glasses but virtually everything else I make goes into a coupe. Plus they're fun to drink bubbly out of. Although if you make mostly Manhattans and Negronis then maybe martini should be your first choice. Oh well, listen to your heart I guess.

Rye is one of my favorite spirits. The recipe I use for a Manhattan is: 2oz rye, 1oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura, cherry garnish.

I have only made Manhattans with Martini & Rossi and Punt e Mes. I prefer Punt e Mes by a fair margin.

I haven't tried Vya yet, but perhaps the reason you think it is so assertive is because you are using it in a 1:1 ratio, try toning it down.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I believe that the main thing that stops a lot of people achieving bar-quality drinks at home is ice.

Different kinds of ice is something I would get more into if I had the room to do it. As of right now I have 2 standard ice trays, one of those canvas bags for crushing, and a silicone ice tray that makes huge cubes. I use it for drinks that get served over a huge rock, which I am really into right now. I guess it would be nice to have something to make smaller perfect cubes for drinks that go in a chimney glass, but I get by just fine as it is.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cocktail blogs?

I have quite a few in my reader but these are the ones I find the most interesting:

The aforementioned 12 Bottle Bar
Cocktalia
Post Prohibition
Summit Sips

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Great response to Pollyannas post

Thanks for this. The only thing I really have to add is I used to drink vodka with grape juice and Sprite.

Choom Gangster posted:

Klauser, Manhattans rarely get any sort of cherry garnish traditionally, though contemporary recipes usually call for them, and need at least some element of citrus to really round out the aroma.

I brandy my own cherries and I really think they go very well in the drink. I will definitely try an orange peel next time I make some with friends to get some feedback. What about a lemon peel, or orange bitters, or lemon bitters?

eine dose socken posted:

This is not very fancy, but the favorite thing i like to do with vodka is the Red Star (at least that's what we call it).

For fun, I looked the Red Star up to see if it had any recipes posted online. Looks like the most common one is equal parts vodka & grenadine with some lemon juice. Have you ever tried adding lemon juice to it? Also, if you pour the grenadine down the side of the glass it should help it settle faster.

branedotorg posted:

The only book i recommend is Kingsley Amis On Drinking

It probably would have been cool to have a drink with this dude.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

StealthStealth posted:

My favorite drink is the Dark N Stormy, which is actually trademarked by Gosling's. I normally make them with Gosling's and consider other rums a "variation" (Kraken is quite good).

This makes loads of sense. I guess the fewer ingredients a drink has, the more important the ingredients become. I have been trying lots of different ginger beers in my Dark & Stormys. Much cheaper than trying different rums. So far my favorite is Regatta. They use cane sugar instead of HFCS and the 8oz cans are a great size, you feel like you're wasting less.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

I just whipped up a "New York Experience" Bourbon, Triple Sec, and Dry Vermouth, yum.

Ok so I went ahead and made this. I used Michters small batch, Cointreau, and Martini & Rossi Dry.

Thanks for posting, I really like it. I have to admit this isn't a recipe I would normally see and think 'Oh I'm gonna make that'. I really like the way the vermouth and Cointreau work together, and how the bourbon is just sort of...there, through everything.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

Tell me where the hell we got the idea that those top-heavy cocktail glasses were a good idea?

I agree. These glasses feel like they were designed to spill. As far as I can tell the actual design of them is this: The stem is to keep your hand off the bowl, so the drink stays chilled longer. The big opening is designed to let the aroma from the drink fill your nose. While I am not a huge fan of the design, there are a handful of drinks that just don't seem right if not served in one.

Two Worlds posted:

I was given a bottle of lavender bitters. It is really strong and expensive. Any ideas?
The lusty Lady

2 oz gin, ½ oz lime juice, ½ oz simple, 1/8 oz cranberry juice, one egg white, 2 to 3 dashes of Scrappy’s Lavender bitters, shake until frothy and serve up with brandied cherries

Dr Girlfriend…

1 1/4 oz gin, 1/2 oz elderflower, 1/2 oz aperol, 3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice, 1/2 oz Lemon Juice, float Scrappy’s lavender bitters

Periwinkle
In a cocktail shaker over cracked ice, pour
1½ oz gin,
½ oz Grand Marnier, and add
1 strong dash (~1 tsp) lavender bitters.
Shake to chill, strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a lemon twist.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Lots of stuff about their bar

Honestly I'm not sure you need more bottles at this point. You might want to try some cheap/easy things to get more use out of the bottles you already have. Make some simple syrup and pick up some fresh citrus. Sodas are your friend here too.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

I'm looking for a preferably bourbon-based cocktail that goes well with the dish - ideally something with soda or other non-alcohol in it to prevent him keeling over drunk halfway through the meal.

Highballs are easy and great with food, and seem to fit your requirements perfectly.

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lime juice (lemon is fine here too)
You can add simple syrup to taste, or leave it out.

Just put that in a highball glass filled with ice and top with soda.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So glad it worked out well.

I need some help peeps. I made this drink:

Hummingbird

3/4 oz. gin
3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1/4 oz. sweet vermouth
Crushed ice
Tools: swizzle stick
Glass: Collins
Garnish: orange wheel

Combine all ingredients in a Collins glass and fill with crushed ice. Swizzle until a thin layer of frost forms on the outside of the glass. Garnish.

--

I was really excited for this, as all the ingredients are right up my alley. It also sounded really refreshing, which it was...kind of. The actual execution of the drink was a fail.

I would put the blame here on the method. It was really awkward to make. The flavor was pretty much there, although I feel it could have been mixed better because all the ice made it a pain in the rear end to stir.

I'm just wondering if I could have done this better. I used my canvas bag to crush the poo poo out of the ice, put everything in and stirred. The drink was super cold, and not gross, it was just a pain to make, and drink.

Is there something I could do to make this go smoother? Maybe I just hate drinks that are all crushed ice.

I'm going to make it again. This time I'll shake the ingredients, strain into a collins filled with regular ice cubes, and top with soda. I imagine this will achieve the same effect, but be a little more refined and pleasant.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

biopanda posted:

Any suggestions for an easier to find rye once this one needs to be replaced?

I happen to really like Old Overholt. If you do not and are looking for something else, try Michters single barrel.

Devoz posted:

Can anyone recommend some drinks that would go well with Thanksgiving dinner?

I don't really have one for with dinner. After dinner though, when everyone is stuffed:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica if you have it)
2 dashes orange bitters
Slice of lemon with a little meat on it
Stir/Strain

The things this drink does to settle your stomach are nothing short of magical.

Skavoovee posted:

What are some favorite brands and other equipment that someone just starting to make drinks at home should have?

I know I'll need to pick up some glasses, so a starting list of those would be really appreciated as well.

I use, and love this muddler. It has a nice heft, is big and beefy, and I also use it to crush ice. I use the OXO Hawthorne strainer. Pick up a small sieve for double-straining. I have no idea what brand my Boston shaker is I just know I prefer a cheater tin over a pint glass.

As far as glassware goes, I would rank them like this:

Coupe
Highball/Chimney
Rocks
Cocktail/Martini

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Kenning posted:

You should know what volumes you're looking for when you buy glasses.

Thanks for this, it's great advice.

Scythe posted:

Been working on this fall-themed sidecar variation

You had me till pimento dram. I'm assuming this is essential, but is there anything I can use to substitute?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

that Vai sound posted:

How can I improve my margarita?

I think you'll get lots of opinions on this. This is how I make it:

2oz tequila
1 1/2oz lime juice
1oz Cointreau
Splash simple syrup (Agave would be fine here)
pinch of salt

I think any drink with tequila in it tastes better with a pinch of salt, also I hate any drink with stuff on the rim, so I do this instead.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three?

Sueno

4oz tequila
1oz simple syrup
1 1/2oz lime juice
Soda
~6 cucumber slices
~2 rosemary sprig

Muddle the cucumber and rosemary with the simple syrup
Add tequila/lime juice
Shake and double strain over ice into a double rocks (or whatever glass you have with some capacity)
Top with soda and garnish with cucumber slice or whatever you like

You could easily halve this recipe and just have it in a chilled glass without ice or soda, if you're not in the mood for a huge drink.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Make some ginger syrup.

Cut up some ginger and put it in a pot with equal parts water and sugar.
Boil until the sugar is dissolved.

Then put that into whatever drink you want to 'gingerfy'

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Just made this and wanted to share/talk about it:

Gorgeous Gus

2 oz. Irish whiskey
3/4 oz. green Chartreuse
1/2 oz. orgeat
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 dash Peychaud’s bitters

Garnish: Peychaud’s bitters; Irish whiskey cherries; half-wheel of orange

I didn't have Irish whiskey cherries, but I brandy my own and threw one in, I also skipped the orange wheel. The recipe calls to serve on ice in a highball glass, but I served it up in a chilled coupe just because that's my preference. I imagine it would be great the suggested way as well.

I was dubious at first because this is a lot of green chartreuse, imo. It doesn't hit hard at all though. It gives the drink a nice herbal background. Orgeat is just awesome and I am amazed by it every time I have something with it in there. The Peychaud's just does it's job and brings everything together.

Really tasty and well balanced. I recommend.

Normal posted:

Do liqueurs ever go bad? I have bottles of creme de X that have been sitting around for years.

Yeah, they go bad. Depends on if it's been opened or not, but 'years' is really pushing it. I would open, smell, and sip. Don't expect much.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Made another new(to me) drink last night:

Flowers for Murphy

1.5oz gin
.75oz simple syrup
.75oz lime juice
.75oz grapefruit juice
.25oz green chartreuse

Shake/strain into chilled flute, top with bubbly, mint leaf garnish.

I was pretty psyched for this, as on paper, this drink is right up my alley.

Something was keeping it from being over the top great like I thought it was going to be. Maybe too much citrus, I'm not sure.

There are other, similar drinks out there that do what this one is trying to do, but better. It wasn't horrible by any stretch, but I wouldn't make it again.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Madison Avenue

1.5oz rum
.75oz Cointreau
.5oz lime juice
~4 mint leaves

Muddle mint, add rest, shake/strain into iced rocks, garnish with lime wheel, mint sprig, or both.

Kenning posted:

What kind of rum?

Whatever you like, I use light.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 22, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
^^^ That does sound really sweet. Get some citrus, or maybe some kind of bitter (Campari?) to balance it out.

--

So on a recent trip to the store I bought a mason jar of Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine on a whim. It is really surprising me with how much I like it and how versatile it is. While it definitely has 'rocket fuel' qualities, if you can get past it, there is some really good flavor there. It's not something you would sip on its own, but it brings a lot to the table in the right cocktail. I've really been having fun finding stuff to put it in.

Mount 'N Rita

1.5oz unaged corn whiskey
1oz triple sec
1oz lime juice
.25oz simple syrup

Stir/strain. Lime wedge garnish.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Simpo posted:

does anyone have any suggestions for good scotch based cocktails?

I've made a couple.

Bravo
1oz blended scotch
1.5oz rye
.25oz simple syrup
3 drops absinthe
Sugar cube garnish

--

Le Roi Robert
1oz blended scotch
1oz St. Germain
.5oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura bitters
cherry garnish

--

Blood and Sand
.75oz scotch
.75oz Cherry Heering
.75oz sweet vermouth
1oz fresh orange juice
Flamed orange peel garnish

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure what the weather is doing by you, but here on Long Island it's getting cold. Made this last night and it was very appropriate for fall.

Cantil Moon Manhattan

1 1/2oz rye
1/2oz Applejack
1oz apple cider
1/4oz sweet vermouth
1 dash cranberry bitters

Stir/strain. Garnish with apple slice(s).

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
^^^ Well said.

Made another drink that is nice for fall.

Trinidad Sour

1oz Angostura bitters
1oz orgeat
3/4oz lemon juice
1/2oz rye

Shake/strain.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Simpo posted:

That sounds pretty nice. One of these days I'm going to make up a batch of orgeat, one of these days...

Just buy some. I can't imagine the effort of making it is worth it, especially if a bottle of orgeat is keeping you from making this drink.

Kenning posted:

Trinidad Sours are off the hook. They are hella awesome.

Yeah, so much flavor. Nice and intense, in a good way.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Wompa164 posted:

Golden Gate Swizzle

Just made this a little while ago, thanks so much for posting it.

I do not like Fernet that much. While I don't think I will ever get into drinking it straight, I've been looking for drinks that use it. This is the first one I've enjoyed, and I will be making it again in the future.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I have that exact ice tray and can say it's definitely worth it. It will make any drink that's supposed to be served over a large rock way better than if you used regular cubes. The huge cube is a completely different feel in the glass, and yeah, it melts slower.

One of my favs that gets served over a large cube:

Easy Does It

1oz gin
.5oz Aperol
.25oz Campari
1oz grapefruit juice
.5oz simple syrup

Shake/Strain. The garnish is 3 raspberries, but I would say it's optional. I make it w/o the garnish all the time.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

bolo yeung posted:

There are some variations on the paloma.

Charro Negro: substitute the grapefruit soda for Coca Cola.

I was really in the mood for a Paloma last night but had no grapefruit soda, so I made these instead. We really liked them. They went perfectly with the spicy pico and guacamole.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
^^^

Thanks for posting, I made this last night. It was nice to dust off the Benedictine. I totally agree with you about the mole bitters really working in it, you are on to something there.

I liked it but overall I think it was a little too sweet for my tastes. I enjoyed it more as the ice melted though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Kenning posted:

Anchor's Genevieve is really good.

I really love all the breweries that are distilling spirits. Anyone in Michigan ever go to New Holland Brewing? They are worth a visit.

Van Dis posted:

A friend of mine turned me onto this tequila:

I was looking for a new tequila to try and grabbed a bottle of the silver. It's almost gone already, I've really been digging it.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Indonesian arrack

Defend Arrack
1.5oz Batavia Arrack
.75oz apricot brandy
.75oz lime juice
dash Allspice dram
Orange twist

Wompa164 posted:

Speaking of orgeat, can anyone recommend a good of-the-shelf one, or perhaps a recipe for making it?

I don't think making it is worth the effort. I got a sick deal on a case of Torani from Amazon, so I'm using that and like it just fine. I'm sure there's better stuff out there but it tastes just as good as a fancy bottle I got from my local Italian butcher.

KWC posted:

I'm doing my annual holiday cocktail party

First off this party sounds mint. I love the idea of big batches of pre-mixed drinks so you aren't stuck behind the bar all night, but like Kenning said, punches really can't be beat for that purpose. It sounds like you already have this all planned out though, so you should just do it, and give punches a try next time.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I just got a DrinkUpNY order in, and I got my first bottle of Averna. I really like it. I'm not sure I would sip it neat, as I think if I was in that kind of mood I would just grab the Carpano, but it's a great addition to the bar.

Made this and loved it:

Island Voodoo
1.5oz rye
1oz Averna
.5oz limoncello

Stir/Strain/Orange peel garnish

I'm really liking drinks that are all booze right now. It's spicy and sweet and has the slightest herbal touch. It's going into the rotation.

Any other Averna drinks I should try?

Very Strange Things posted:

Stuff about twists

If you're talking about the Microplane citrus tool:

Be careful, I actually broke 2 of those. The piece with the 2 rings on the side snapped off on both of them. This was years ago so maybe they're made better now? I've actually tried a lot of things for making twists and eventually settled on this:

Honestly I find myself reaching for that less and less and just using my pairing knife though.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 2, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Made this the other night and enjoyed it:

Victorian

1/2oz elderflower liqueur
1/2oz limoncello
2 dashes grapefruit bitters
Bubbly
Lemon twist garnish
Build in flute and top with bubbly

Also on repeal day, I read about a Cherry Bounce. Inspired, I poured some of the liquid from my jar of brandied cherries into a glass to sip. I was dubious but I wound up really liking it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Just wanted to chime in and say restaurant supply is a good place to go for your shaker. I also prefer a cheater tin over a mixing glass for shaking, but I imagine that's personal preference and you should try both.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Wondering if I could get some thoughts on this:

1oz rye
1oz Applejack
3/4oz amaretto
1/2oz lemon juice
Thyme sprig

Shake everything, double strain, up.

Any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated.

I'm not sure on a garnish, I hate using thyme, not sure about a lemon peel, I feel it's lemony enough...maybe a cherry?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

Why the bias against thyme?

I think it smells nice, I like the taste, I just think it's ugly. I can't get away from the feeling that I'm handing someone a drink with a twig in it. The smell can be pretty strong too, not something I really want to put right under someones nose.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I also like a couple dashes in some seltzer.

Here's a random recipe, not bitter related:

Far East Side

2oz sake (Junmai Gingo)
3/4oz elderflower liqueur
1/2oz blanco tequila
1/4oz lemon juice
1 fresh shiso leaf, plus one for garnish

Muddle a shiso leaf with the elderflower, shake, double strain, coupe.

Goes great with sushi.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 13, 2012

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does anyone have a favorite drink recipe that involves an egg white? I need to try more of these.

1.5oz gin
.75oz lemon juice
.5oz simple syrup
.25oz Chambord (I'd say this is optional, but nice)
Small egg white
~3 raspberries

Muddle the berries with the simple, add rest, shake, double strain.

Coupe/raspberry garnish.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I like to use agave in lieu of simple for any drink that has tequila in it, as well as a small pinch of salt.

I have been using Espolon as my go to silver for a while and am really enjoying it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

a half-and-half rye/cognac version

That is most likely Dale DeGroff's version. I make it all the time with Bulleit and VS cognac, and it's pretty great.

c/p from some site:

1 ounce VS cognac
1 ounce rye whiskey
½ to ¾ ounce simple syrup (1 part sugar dissolved in 1 part water), to taste
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Splash of absinthe, Pernod or other absinthe substitute
Lemon peel, for garnish

1. Fill a rocks glass with ice; let chill for serving. In a second rocks glass, combine the cognac, rye, simple syrup and both bitters. Add several ice cubes and stir to chill.

2. Toss the ice out of the serving glass, then add a splash of absinthe. Swirl it around to coat the inside of the glass, then pour out all of the liquid. Strain the chilled cocktail into the prepared glass. Twist the lemon peel over the top and drop it into the drink to garnish.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Elder Crain posted:

Any tips on making actually good ice? Clear, dense, bar quality ice? I've heard that freezing in larger batches helps get clearer ice. I've also heard that you should use twice boiled water, and the same about distilled water, and I've also read that tap works just fine as long as you like the taste of your water. So what is it? I've tried trays, large cube trays, and big tupper ware containers to try and get good ice and it always comes out as cloudy crap.

This is something I have put a lot of effort into. The one method that absolutely works the best is this one. I go one step further by shaving the top to be flat, and carving off the cloudy end to make a cube. For me, serving a drink over a big, crystal clear cube is totally worth it.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I love a good aged tequila and a good margarita. Can anyone suggest tequila cocktails that aren't kiddie bullshit?

If you're just looking for inspiration, start here.

If you want a specific recipe:

High Plains Drifter No. 2

2 oz reposado tequila
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz green Chartreuse
1 dash of orange bitters
Campari for rinse

Campari rinsed coupe/shake/orange twist.

Koppite posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a savory cocktail? I love the taste of something like a michelada, etc.

Savory cocktails are not my thing, but you should pick up a bottle of celery bitters, they really have that savory flavor I think you would like added to most drinks.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Booties posted:

Anyone have their own homemade Manhattan cherries?

--

Any recipes floating around out there I need to know about?

Yes! I do this and love it:

2 cups sugar
4 cups brandy
2 lbs. fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted

Wait 6 weeks.

The cherries are great, and as an added bonus, the liquid is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
For grenadine I put equal parts POM and sugar in a mason jar and shake till combined.