Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ha, I didn't know there was a thread for this. Although I'd never seen this whole subforum before today, so...

UYD is definitely one of my all-time favourite shows; it makes me deeply happy inside to hear how thoroughly Jonathan and Seth love each other and it's great to be able to share in that in some small way. And I have to say, I'd watched the #100 video and then nothing else until I ran across their Youtube channel recently and holy poo poo, Jonathan looks to have lost a shitton of weight since then.

Times I knew UYD was right for me:
1) Episode #176 - practically wetting myself the whole way through. Go give it a listen.
2) First time dropping acid, then looking at my arm. Hairy logo made sense in an instant.

I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Haha OK usually I don't really care too much about the occasional static issues they've been having but this most recent episode is kind of ridiculous. And I love that they keep name-dropping the mic manufacturer; all I know is I'm never buying a Lou Perlman mic :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"I'm watchin' TV, stop looking at me! I look at you, bitch!"

Hahahahaa

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I ruined my chance to ask him a question phone style. Although I don't know if he is in to just answering fans stupid questions. I am working out the music to Biss and I wanted to see if he would tell me what the lyrics are in that modulated voice section. That song loving blew my mind when I heard it, I was all like whoa.
I sent him a random dumb comment one time when they were talking about skeezy Geniuses taking bribes for fixing computers and he replied. I totally wasn't expecting that, was a nice reminder that 'oh yeah these are just some cool dudes not some corporate organ like everything else we interact with nowadays'.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"How does a bird take down my bird? MY BIRD HAS TV IN IT!"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

soru posted:

You have to start somewhere and they're virtually all the same quality, so you may as well start at #1.
Everybody will have a different favourite episode but I always recommend 176 as being loving amazing all the way through. It goes from gory details of Jonathan's root canal to both of them picking apart what really happened in a schoolboy rape case (way funnier than it sounds) and I think gives a good sense of the comedic variety in the show.

That said I jumped in at 150 or so and have yet to backtrack to all the episodes before that. Looking forward to it someday.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I get offended when their goddamn mics crackle and stutter all over the place. I bought a new audio lead for my car because of that poo poo :mad: Though they do seem to be on top of that now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh my god I just realised the new podcasts app lets me download any episode right back to number 1 straight to my iThing, I thought I'd have to futz about on the website to get them.

See you guys in about a year

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

a starwar betamax posted:

I think the joke is old as poo poo because a lot of people have legitimately had it happen in real life. My uncle, after leaving the Mennonite church and getting a cell phone for the first time a few years ago, thought LOL meant "Lots O' love" and was presently surprised how sweet and kind everyone was being to him via texts.
Ashamed to say it but I myself thought it meant that for a few days when I was about ten.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Behold! A Elk! posted:

Dammit I am away and I can't download anything onto my grandma's computer without her thinking it's a virus! Olds am I right?
If you can't conceal downloads from your grandma then I think it is you who is old, sir.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Holy cow, you guys weren't kidding about 'This Week In Florida' being amazing. And halfway through episode 12 Seth screams "it's 2009!" which was kind of weird.

Also holy poo poo, is that bit about Obama listening to UYD (back in '06) for real? That's the most insane thing ever if true.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

C-Euro posted:

Woah, they namedrop bath salts a year before all this face-eating nonsense of today.

Is there a feed or something that will download a random episode for you to listen to? Listening to them all from #1 sounds so daunting but I want to just pick one out every now and then to listen to, and it's not like there's any sort of continuity to worry about. I guess I could just come up with some random number generator :v:
You're welcome

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobulus posted:

I have a confession to make, and I'm curious if anyone else shares this problem...

I was introduced to UYD through the youtube videos they put up. I knew their names were Seth and Jonathan, but but they never address each other. And I apparently mixed the two up. Even now, when I know correctly, it's easy to get mixed up.

To me, Seth really looks like a Jonathan, and Jonathan really looks like a Seth.
The first time I saw a video was when I went back to watch the #100 video episode, and they did not look anything like how I expected. It still took me a while after that to be able to put the right voice to the right face.

But then I'm bad enough with disembodied voices that it wasn't until I was listening to my second episode I realised it was just two of them. I somehow made it through to the end of an entire episode thinking there was a third person joshing along with them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

niethan posted:

When did Jon start eating meat again?
A while ago now, maybe a year+? I remember him talking about eating a hamburger and it being insanely, out-of-this-world amazing to his meat-deprived body, but it was a long time ago.

Edit: Oh yea maybe it was a tuna sandwich? I don't know but it's been a while.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm not super keen on this, to be honest. For something that's animated, the characters aren't very... animated. Their real-life mannerisms are much more enjoyable to watch.

It puts me in mind of the Ricky Gervais Show but not as good. Bring back filmed episodes :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Holy loving poo poo, Seth's story in episode 15 about meeting a crazy lady in his mute vegan restaurant is nuts. One of the best stories I've heard from this podcast, and even better because it's in the same episode as the guy who wanted a 12-year old girl to blow her cat.

Is there a specific episode where they get into the whole backstory of why Seth doesn't talk at this one restaurant? I feel like I may have heard it long ago but I could stand to listen to it again.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sockpuppetclock posted:

Does anyone have UYD's new email? Thanks
uyd@me.com

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Because it tickled me so much when I heard it and I'm a dork with too much time on his hands I made an iPhone ringtone out of the UYD rendition of the Mario theme in episode 14. Enjoy, I guess?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Does my memory deceive me or did somebody in this thread make this image?

It's now the UYD Facebook cover photo so if so, good job I guess :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I missed a few weeks because of exams and just caught up to 356, I think I'm having a loving meltdown over here. Oh god.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Am I getting deafer, or are the episodes getting quieter? I feel like even in a quiet room and my laptop volume on full, the last couple have been at just below a satisfactory listening volume.

Also, listening to the earlier episodes has made me really yearn for the return of This Week in Florida. Especially since somebody linked me to this Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

...it just never ends.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dvorak posted:

Wow, at that point, I wonder how he could even do the show.
I don't know what would be more heartbreaking - if they just announced one day they were stopping the podcast, or if they kept doing it until one of them actually dies :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Damo posted:

So many good bits and small moments in UYD, it's impossible to remember them all let alone keep track of where they happen. I'd have to have a notepad open every second I'm listening to make notes of all the best bits I'd like to revisit without having to do another whole listen through of the entire catalog.
And then you'd feel stupid when you found out this has already been done.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HipGnosis posted:

It's funny listening to this now. People gave Jonathan a lot of poo poo for using homophobic slurs (rightfully) but Seth threw around "fruit" as a slur in 2006 pretty liberally. Weird.
Wait, 'fruit' is a slur now? I thought it was basically shorthand for 'a colourful character'. I can't imagine somebody saying "hey you loving fruit!" in anger.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SaxMaverick posted:

They first talk about cocaine in ep 34. I don't remember when it is, but I'm excited for that episode.

I wonder if you can find a can or two online
It's called something else now, can't remember what though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

These two segments are possibly my all-time favourites in UYD. This is the link I'm going to use to introduce people to UYD.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

Being a very recent convert to the podcast and trawling through the back episodes, I have a question for long term fans.

The funniest parts of the cast for me are the bits when seth pretends to defend awful stuff that happens in florida (or where ever). Obviously I'm a new UYD listener and relatively recent goon.

Was the florida gif in any way related too UYD or was the internet just in agreement back then with all the ridiculous stories coming out?
Florida is just kind of hosed up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm going on a 10-hour plane journey tomorrow, what are the top 10 episodes I should make sure I have preloaded on my phone?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zeeco posted:

120-130

Lil Jon Galt posted:

Seconding this
That'll do, cheers guys :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Don't suppose anybody has episodes 1-159 packaged up into a zip or torrent for easy downloading? I fully accept I'm just being kinda lazy about this but I don't wanna click 159 times today.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WoG posted:

UYD episodes 1-159 (9.56GB zip). (I know, Mega's kind of janky, but dropbox has a bandwidth limit, and other options for a 10 gig file are limited. If one of you has an unmetered server, go ahead and rehost, or pm me an ftp login.)
This is great, thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The previous 'hardest tongue twister' was much worse - "the sixth sheikh's sixth sheep's sick" or something.

I tend to listen to UYD on long train journeys, so anybody travelling with me probably thinks I'm nuts because I spend the whole journey giggling to myself.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sum posted:

Is there any place to get pre-160 episodes where all of the metadata is all there? I'd like to have them all under the same podcast tab with all of their descriptions intact, but even the ones hosted on uhhyeahdude.com aren't complete, and I'm getting pretty frustrated.
Yea the zip posted earlier worked perfectly for me. I didn't even have to do any messing around to get iTunes to recognise them as podcasts instead of music, and all the descriptions are still there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CaptainJuan posted:

I might be the only person in the world who both listens to UYD and reads XKCD but i feel like today's xkcd (http://xkcd.com/1313/) could revolutionize horse-weed-mind's eye.
You just nominated yourself as the person who gets to try to explain that to Jonathan ;)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

You know what we haven't heard in awhile?

sssmmmmooookkiiiiinnnnnnnnnn
It seems like 'wanky wanky' has fallen by the wayside as well recently.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It always surprises me a bit to hear Jonathan saying 'mental' and 'slagging him off', I always thought those were extremely British phrases.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Elijah Snow posted:

Jah hanging out with Stanhope blew my simple mind.
This is from way back but I didn't see it mentioned - while he was there I guess Doug recorded a podcast episode. He's mostly talking to son of the mayor of Reykjavik, but Jonathan steps in at about 48:20.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/stanhope/doug_stanhope_podcast_024.mp3

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 29, 2014

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Do they still film the live eps to put highlights on YouTube or is that completely done now?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly I think one big, beneficial change would be to film every episode and have somebody put highlight clips on YouTube regularly. They don't even need to make the full-length videos available, just having a more reliable YouTube presence could get a lot of people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jenamon 8anoquote must be very important to this person.