Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nemoulette posted:

As often as Jonathan is wrong about dumb things, "i think it's because you're an east coast catholic" was pretty funny and on point

My favorite "Jonathan is wrong about dumb things" moment comes from a recent podcast where he freaks out on that guy whose job it obviously is to clean ATMs thinking he's some kind of psycho pervert. He thought he was like in the right but I just imagine he looked like a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Even if his job is to clean the ATM (Which isn't a job I'm familiar with, but whatever,) why was the guy ordering people to move back so he could take a bunch of pictures of the ATM? Why did he pull the the discarded receipts out of the trash and take pictures of those? That's one where I totally bought that Jah ran across a legit crazy LA person. Their stories about Los Angeles are phenomenal, but they have also convinced me that I want to do everything in my power to avoid ever being in that city.

Because part of their job is taking photos of the ATM site to report to the bank, including of receipts to check receipt quality.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gardias posted:

It's a very sincere car.

Yeah but look at that interior. You could eat off that cracked vinyl dashboard.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

What's the episode where Jonathan realizes that at the start of the podcast he was sober, married, vegan, and had his poo poo together and Seth was a neurotic wreck and they have been slowly trading places ever since?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jah has slowly been making the intro music longer and longer since the beginning. By next year it'll be 4 minutes long, in 10 years it'll be like 15 minutes long. He's going to have to start making his own mixtapes just to fill the time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Some really good crazy Jah ranting this episode, alien technology, shifting between dimensions, fear of the indigo children, everyone's hosed etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I've been listening to Uhh Yeah Dude for years and recently started listening to also-excellent podcast My Brother My Brother and Me, and it seems fairly obvious to me that at least one of them listens to so much UYD that they use some of their expressions as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Drewsky posted:

I think that a lot of the slang is just West coast stuff. Or do you mean the guy uses like full on phrases like "Yo dog, you dead dog."

It's hard to describe but it's not just using slang words, it's like full speech patterns and everything on some phrases. Like frequently Griffin says "Are. You. Ok." when someone says or does something crazy in exactly the way Seth would.

Also the brothers McElroy aren't from the West coast, they're from the South, and I'm from the West and about their age, so I'm not getting it twisted.

Either way I love both shows but UYD is definitely linguistically infections, because now I use fresh and dope unironically pretty much because of them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hey, when your life is constantly in shambles maybe you'll post your podcast a few days late as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Until listening to the Seattle show I had no idea that UYD's primary demo was hooting bros and bachelorette parties. Still Jah and Seth were in top form.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

CortezFantastic posted:

That's amazing that he told the cops exactly what his steez was, just to get free "grass". That beautiful loving hippie.

Man, sometimes I miss being a stoned teenager and thinking things like that. "Man, if you get caught just tell the cops you're only selling it so you can afford to smoke it and they'll let you go. They all toke up anyway themselves, right?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I like the show without opening music. Don't get me wrong, Jonathan has some pretty dope taste in music but I'm not always down to listen to half a song before the podcast starts. Just stick that poo poo on the end.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

vineyille posted:

Just saw this posted on the UYD forums - a very famous podcaster videotaped whilst window shopping (2:40).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSKLKiZqUw&t=2m40s

I like that he's looking at that guy like "did that motherfucker just film me redoing my belt?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I can't imagine that two 30-somethings, one who works part time at a dispensary and one who works part time at a pet store, have a whole lot of discretionary income. They should just have a one-time pledge drive or something.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Honestly I've listened to tons and tons of podcasts and I've never found one that was quite like UYD. It's probably the most unique one out there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

They met when Jonathan was sober, vegetarian, married, and had his poo poo together and Seth was a complete alcoholic drug addict wreck and he has been draining the life force from Jonathan ever since.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mcvey posted:

For weeks like this they should have a "Best Of..." series to put up.

They should put up that 3-hour-long Cragslist-segment-only thing that somebody posted here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bango skank posted:

It's probably just me but I've kinda gotten the impression lately that Jonathan is getting tired of doing the show. :smith:

It's probably less that than his untreated addiction and lack of means due to not really having his poo poo together is completely loving his poo poo up at this point in his life. He'll probably pull out of it sooner or later.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I loved the Mayan calendar segment. Jonathan spouting all sorts of crazy poo poo about scientists giving more credence to the Mayans and the end of novelty and Seth is all "I think we'll be fine."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

My favorite moment this episode was Jah slinging human being around with wild abandon then getting really quiet and ashamed when he mistakenly calls a tattoo machine a tattoo gun.

Good on Seth for not letting that poo poo slip by though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I looked up what the blind black guy from Becker is doing and apparently he's in a ska band and played Zimos in Saints Row 3.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mcvey posted:

How can he be in a band if he's deaf??? :confused:

He's only deaf in one ear.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

God, podcast fans really are the fuckin worst. I'm not going to read a bunch of butthurt whining about how she was personally betrayed by the show so care to summarize?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's hilarious, because in the same super-serious weird Tumblr posts about how disappointed/horrified/mortified they are in a free comedy podcast betraying them, they also display a total inability to sense the irony in asking things like "Why does UYD seem so averse to fans?"...you're kinda the answer to your own question, guys...
http://uyd4l.tumblr.com/post/25469398494/yeah-obviously-i-never-expected-it-and-was

I'm surprised they're as open to their fans as they are, honestly, and how that hasn't come to bite them in the rear end any harder. Fans, especially enthusiastic internet fans, are hosed up people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HipGnosis posted:

Once I wrote a letter to a podcast and they completely disparaged and misinterpreted what I was saying and called me a stupid slut. I stopped listening to that podcast and forgot about it until just now.

True story.

Yeah, Dan Savage can be a real jerk.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sometimes I want to make a companion podcast to UYD called You Sure, Jah? where we evaluate the psuedoscientific studies that Jonathan is constantly bringing up like the 100 monkeys thing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

Seth seems to avoid any discussion of his true self. Most of what he says about himself and his life is made up.

Hey maybe this is why he would get mad at you for giving your shithead friends his home number so you can call him while drunk.

I think he's said for real that he has OCD and is a recovering addict though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

I feel like the character he plays for the show is mostly an exaggerated version of himself. But, he has what seems to be a strong aversion to talking about personal details to any extent. Most of what Seth does is for laughs so maybe he just doesn't think factual details about his personal life will be funny.

In a recent episode, Jonathan asked Seth to describe his eating habits, and Seth said "humble". Jonathan tried to press him into saying more specifics about what he eats but Seth immediately wanted to jump on to another topic, segueing into gas prices or something.

I always assume that when Seth says that he had 2 think thin bars and a DMD for dinner he is being serious. I remember him telling a story about going to Taco Bell and getting rice and peas and a carmel apple pie or some poo poo because they were the only Vegan options on the menu and feeling like maybe he is missing the point. Also those apple pies are totally fried in lard.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Strangely enough, my Summer Jam of 2011 was a song I heard on UYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdMFB4BhrQ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I realize that as a transwoman I'm not exactly an unbiased listener here but it just really sucked to here that kind of thing coming from someone who I at least respect even if I don't know him personally.

I think your big mistake is respecting Jonathan. He's a big trust-funded man-child from LA whose biggest hardship in life is people telling him they loved his dad on Night Court and whose biggest mistake was almost burning his house down with his dog in it. He uses homophobic slurs from the get and recently tried to defend them while Seth was all "slow your roll." But he spouts ignorant poo poo about all sorts of stuff all the time. Obviously I'm not telling you that you shouldn't feel what you feel but I tend to find more comedy than pain in people's ignorance when they're as harmless as Jah. I love his show but I'm not always laughing with him.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Biodome posted:

Isn't Jonathan broke as hell all the time.

I'm sure he doesn't manage his allowance well but dude isn't looking at 1200 a month apartments on a part-time dog store salary.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im a girl btw posted:

I really do think that's just part of the joke. Most non-Americans view Americans as being (generally) quite ignorant of the rest of the world. I think they're just playing up to that.

Like all things with this show Seth clearly knows a whole lot more than he's letting on but I'm pretty sure Jah is just that dumb.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

First Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split, and now Anderson Cooper's come out. This week's episode is going to be loving heavy.

Years of listening to UYD prepared me to be completely unsurprised by either of these developments.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Thirded. I'm sorry I ever brought up those blog and FB posts. I only pointed them out because I thought it was funny how upset they were over a comedy podcast. I didn't actually expect it to lead to people discussing how much they themselves get upset over a comedy podcast.

I can't find it in me to get upset about anything they say. They've said things (Jonathan, mostly) that have made me mildly sort of roll my eyes but, ultimately, I don't really care because, again, it's just a comedy podcast and anyway, the type of listeners they attract are probably not raging homophobes, misogynists and racists who will use their words as a rallying cry to begin with. And that woman claiming that Seth and Jonathan are kind of misogynists are forgetting the dozens, if not more, times they have talked about how awful men are and how much better women are. They've put women on a pedestal far more than they've put them down.

Even that was way more analysis than this show calls for.

Anyway, I think many of us can agree that the most offensive thing about the show is Seth's utter disdain for sci-fi. :colbert:

Sheesh, some people just got personally upset with the use homophobic and transphobic slurs said I just said that Jah uses them because he was a dumbass and we should make fun of him for it, nobody is saying they should go to PC prison or whatever, you people are too sensitive.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

This was probably the nicest discussion of "these people I like say some things sometimes that I don't" that I've ever read. In no way was the conversation off-topic or out of hand. Why the hell are people freaking out about it? Let people loving talk, especially when it's as civil as it's been. I don't think anyone in the thread said "I hate this loving show! Worst show ever!" and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about things in the podcast you wish improved. Jeez.

Because a lot of people don't know how to enjoy something while being critical of it but more importantly get flustered when they see someone else doing that because they perceive that as attacking the thing they love. You see it everywhere on the internet and it's why it's so hard to get any loving traction when it comes to criticizing and improving on issues of sexisim, racism and homophobia in the media because there will always be a crowd of people aren't blatantly racist, sexist, or homophobic (but probably do enjoy the privilege of being either straight and/or white and/or male and usually all three) still shouting "why don't you all just shut up and enjoy this like I do!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Oh great, the old "yeah yeah we all get it bigotry is bad now shut up about it and let me enjoy my privilege in peace" tactic. Sure you're done hearing about it but maybe some people aren't done discussing it. In fact all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about this topic of discussion even being brought up is making me reconsider my position and maybe Jah's casual use of them is more effective at normalizing them than I originally thought.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bango skank posted:

Says who? Who decides when a word's meaning has officially changed? I know for myself at least that when I head the word "human being" I don't think of gay people, I think of someone being annoying or stupid.

Says the people who still get called that for being gay or for whom that word opens up very deep wounds, probably. I'm sure you and your buddies call each-other all sorts of names, it doesn't mean that the word doesn't still mean the thing it originally did to a lot of people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chantix posted:

It's always been a bit surprising to me that Seth is ok with Jonathan smoking in the studio. I guess that fits with him being overly supportive of other peoples addictions though. Kinda like how he always keeps some airplane bottles of booze on hand for his homeless.

I like that Seth is a grown-up and doesn't go all EWWWWWW over a little cigarette smoke like most people do these days.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did it look to anyone else like Jah was wearing a grill or something? His teeth were reflecting light whenever he smiled.

I don't know if he has a grill but he sure as poo poo has a gold tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

They were probably just taking too long to take his order. Remember, Jonathan copped to shoplifting small things when inconvenienced.

Oh poo poo I forgot that he does this too. Maybe I learned it from him even.