Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Been listening to UYD for a little more than two and a half years now. Started in January of 2009. The first episode I happened to download was 146, where they covered the nominees for the 2009 Adult Video Awards. By the end of that segment I was downloading the entire series to get caught up. It really is amazing how the show never feels dated, even though they're usually talking about current events and trends for half the episode.

Binowru posted:

But I think if you listen to the June 30, 2011 ep. of UYD and aren't brought to tears of laughter by their discussion of the boy who survived two plane crashes, then you probably don't have a sense of humor.

Not just two plane crashes, but two plane crashes where his Dad was the pilot, and the first crash killed his mom and two siblings. It's the craziest, most hosed-up story possible yet somehow they wring about 5 solid minutes of comedy from it.

"Let's go back, years later, with Stepmom. New Mom. What, you wanna kill New Mom too? Oh, you just kill everybody! But me. I guess you love me and you hate everybody else. I'm kinda cool with that, at least."

Al! posted:

My favorite "Jonathan is wrong about dumb things" moment comes from a recent podcast where he freaks out on that guy whose job it obviously is to clean ATMs thinking he's some kind of psycho pervert. He thought he was like in the right but I just imagine he looked like a crazy person.

Even if his job is to clean the ATM (Which isn't a job I'm familiar with, but whatever,) why was the guy ordering people to move back so he could take a bunch of pictures of the ATM? Why did he pull the the discarded receipts out of the trash and take pictures of those? That's one where I totally bought that Jah ran across a legit crazy LA person. Their stories about Los Angeles are phenomenal, but they have also convinced me that I want to do everything in my power to avoid ever being in that city.

GraPar posted:

Anyone else start speaking a bit like them in real life? I always find myself using Seth's 'sound effects', like 'bowsch', or his his kind of whooshing one. Plus 'Nope!'.

I've used "wicked" since like 7th or 8th grade, but I definitely started using it way more thanks to hearing it nonstop from Seth.

Also, I love the recent introduction of "Bowsch!" It gets a laugh out of me every time. "You Bowsch me, I Bowsch you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Al! posted:

Because part of their job is taking photos of the ATM site to report to the bank, including of receipts to check receipt quality.

I'd ask why not just take the physical receipts, but listening to it again Jah says he didn't notice what he did with them after he took the photos. I can accept that it's a job, but the way they're going about it sounds really weird. Also maybe their employees should wear uniforms and gloves instead of just walking around with a spray bottle hidden in a bag while wearing "Full loving motorcycle regalia."

Anyhow, can you blame me or Jah for being suspicious? Remember, this is the show that brought us the story about the guy walking around a supermarket spraying women with his own jizz in a bottle.

Riptor posted:

I love Seth because he grew up in Haverhill, MA which is the town next to my hometown so we sound similar accent-wise, and I pick up on a ton of references that I'm sure don't mean anything to anyone.

What can you tell us about the Egg Wars?

Asnorban posted:

I have a hard time listening to that fight. Jah sounded legit raged.

Cannot listen to the fight episode at all. The whole thing is too weird - but the reveal years later that Seth's apartment The Studio had a gas leak that night was an incredible turn of events.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bango skank posted:

Speaking of the clips on youtube, what happened to all the video they took? If I remember correctly, they filmed the entirety of episode 100, and then on a couple episodes after that they made reference to the film crew being there, but they haven't released any full episodes on video. There's a few clips of bits on youtube that look like they're from different episodes based on changing attire, is that all they put up of the rest of the episodes that were filmed?

Episode 100 is a full video episode, split in two parts. It's on the RSS feed, I believe. The YouTube videos are all segments from when they had the crew in, somewhere around 120-129. Those also happen to be some the funniest episodes that stand up to repeat listenings.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SullivanPRIME posted:

Yeah, but I've been wondering, they probably recorded the whole entire episodes and then cut them up in to the clips, so where are the full master recordings of the eps?

EDIT: Not that I actually expect you to know, just asking rhetorically

Good question. I always wondered if they filmed a few episodes in an attempt to put together a pitch for a television series. It was while they were sponsored by HBO, after all.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DangerDummy! posted:

They abandon doing bits like that somewhere down the road, and it's too bad. I'm still a big fan of the show (I'm at 249 right now), and they don't stop funny, but I thought a couple of structured bits peppered throughout the show made it a bit more fun.

They've recently begun to revisit some old segments that had fallen by the wayside, like Country/Hip-Hop song of the week. My fingers are crossed for a return of "Who's _____in' Harder" to the regular rotation.

Yanni Estacado posted:

ep 20 where that came from might be my favorite. that and the "pick up a couple of bobcats" bit rule

"Bobcat" is, to me, one of the funniest slang words they've accidentally come up with. Seeing a day laborer driving an actual Bobcat even more so.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"I'm sports, I'm shiatsu, I'm sensual."

Can anybody remember which episode this is from? I just listened to it recently but can't remember the episode, and very surprisingly it's not on the UYD Wiki.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Was super excited by their call for early meth docs this week. I bought a 22 year old issue of "Spin" magazine on eBay a while back with a crazy article about crystal meth's growing presence as a party drug. I scanned it this morning and emailed it in, I really hope they read parts of it on the air - the quotes from users are absolutely loving ridiculous and would sound great in Seth and Jah's spoiled California party kid voices (i.e., Miss X, a 21-year old with a steady job who has been using since age 13, describes her Friday night: "I did some crystal, around $10 worth, then a friend came over and we did four more lines of speed. I topped that with a quarter hit of LSD. When we got back to my house around 2 in the morning we did another quarter hit of acid, a huge line of speed and, of course, some beers. We were hoping for some pot, but it never showed.")

Asnorban posted:

Episode 8? I am going solely off of a Google for that quote and UYD, and one of the descriptions showed up with "Shiatsu" in it, but not the others.

He says "Sports, shiatsu, sensual" in that one, but it's not the occurrence I'm thinking of, when he follows it up with "I'm red roses on a Tuesday..." and something else that sounds like he pulled it straight from a country song. (Afterwards, Jah says that if Seth posted that on Craiglist or an online dating site, he'd definitely get laid.)

Remember: James Bond is a secret agent who gets mad laid. His catchphrases are "I'll be back," and "Fuggedaboudit!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Found these while browsing YouTube a few months back - UYD transcripts run through XtraNormal. The flat computer voices reading Seth and Jah's freeflowing conversations verbatim somehow makes them even funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VwbiA1tWs

"It's definitely something. Five grown men, with a video camera, jerking a dog off. That's not nothing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-5ZcbqnUk

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Anybody interested in giving the show a shot should probably just listen to the range of 120-129, which is the span where most of the YouTube videos are pulled from. For whatever reason I think those are some of the easiest episodes for first-time listeners to get into. Those have so many strong rants and raves, a couple stand out stories like Jah's "You would look a rasta in the eye" confession, a wicked strong series of Craigslist readings and some other great pieces. If you like those, the show is like that pretty much all the time.

Biodome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xluqh7SdMLc&t=123s

My wife's missing two things. Thumbs? Balls.

I am not into games or drama.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

fuf posted:

This is my favourite podcast and I listen to it all the time, but does anyone else sometimes get sick of how loving dumb Jonathan is?

Sometimes, but it's not so much as "he's loving dumb" as much as it is "he can't properly organize his thoughts." I've got no problem listening to his hippie'd out ideas, but it does get tiresome when he's trying to say the same thing for five minutes and failing to do so. That's why Seth is always there to move things along or burn him at the most opportune moment (See: The 70's aura film.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The wiki itself is pretty drat comprehensive, their search engine just blows. Aside from the "Sports, shiatsu, sensual" thing I don't think it's ever let me down in finding a bit.

"You know what I would've said? I would've said, 'THANKS FOR THE TICKET, BRACE-FACE' and I would have driven off."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CortezFantastic posted:

I think Seth proves even with no acting talent

Uhh, excuse me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzsCYMDhRM

Acting enough to keep getting those sweet residuals. PAPER CHAAAAAAAAAASE!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Remember, when they say "Smooth Italian" they really mean "Mexican."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fun Times! posted:

Is it pedophile or peedophile?

"Take or administer?"
"Stay or live?"

From the end of one of my absolute favorite segments, Seth's rant about Dren from episode 133. Few people could probably read an entire bodybuilding supplements catalog out loud and make it interesting, but I think Seth could pull it off.

"Is that him sleeping in bed?"
"That's him sleeping in bed, because this makes you grow while you sleep. It's a nighttime anabolic muscle activator."

"Look at this guy, look at how happy he is! His eyes are glowing yellow!"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 31, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drewsky posted:

Edit: Seth's sobriety rants are amazing in 137.

"Y'know sometimes it's just better to just NEVER EVER leave your own reality EVER once NEVER sixandahalfyears and just look at life the way it is, and never ever escape to a dreamscape of peace and happiness."

Stay strong, Seth.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drewsky posted:

I like the one in the 200s better where Jah reads the fact that drinkers usually live longer than totally sober individuals. Seth says something like, "When you crawl up in this head, and stay there, it ain't right dog," and goes on another similar rant. That episode came out a little after I started listening and it might honestly be the moment I was hooked.

Episode 234.

"I'm going to go die, 12 years earlier than the people having fun, by having no fun and being a square. Hey, loser. In the corner. Dying. Slowly."
"Quickly."
"Quickly, prematurely."

"What about your dreams? You still have your dreams?"
"My dreams? My dreams, now...they're not nightmares in a traditional sense..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 9, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drewsky posted:

When was this?

The most recent episode, 296. Seth details his crazy system to keep bugs from getting on him while he's asleep.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yannick_B posted:

A listener working as an english teacher in korea had his class send postcards to UYD. The results are as amazing as you imagine.

This is loving all-time classic right here. "It is a car of sincerity. How to know your car? That's secret."

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This and Jah reading the Taco Bell reviews are definitely my favourites for this week.

:mad: One star. This is not authentic Mexican food.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Lil Jon Galt posted:

YOU LOVE FRIESSSS DONT YOUUUUU???

And I just walked out, and now that kid is gone forever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dan Didio posted:

"I've eaten with this rear end in a top hat four times in the last month; he had cheese at every loving meal!"

"'I'm Vegan.' What's that cheeseball in your mouth? That's like, way wicked more than just cheese, those are, like, triple cheese! 'I'm Vegan. gently caress Doritos, I'd never eat a Dorito.' I've seen you eat Doritos! 'It's an exception, I always give myself an exception. One...or two.'"

Episode 127, one of the best in my book. You go straight from that to their hilarious bit about the last issue of Playgirl.

"I'm gonna get a Snickers Charged, with the Taurine, some Newports, aaaaaaaannnnnd a Playgirl. Hey, do you have matches? Because then I'm gonna light it all on fire."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SullivanPRIME posted:

Or when Jonathan posited whether or not it would be better to molest a regular young girl, or a mentally retarded one and Seth says "Thats a bold, psychotic statement you've made there. But go on."

Reminds me of the recent bit where Jonathan was saying that his dad once said all sexual predators should have their skin dyed blue, which made Seth wonder if that was such a good idea. "I'm sorry, what did five-time Emmy award winning actor Jonathan Larroquette say?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Half of Dracula posted:

This is Uhh Yeah Dude, episode number 300. I'm Gerard Butler, and this is Gerard Butler.

When I saw this post, I thought maybe they actually got him to give a shout-out somehow. Seth's little rant was probably even better, though.

"I know you had that movie with Jennifer Aniston that looked wicked bad. Somebody gets put in a trunk? I don't know, I couldn't watch the trailer, because that makes me uncomfortable. I don't like elevators. Anyway..."

edit: Ask Amy/Jah-Jah is the best segment they've introduced in ages. Both of the letters this week were absolutely insane.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drewsky posted:

I wonder why Seth hates it so much.

Probably due to fretting over the amount of pre-pro he's gotta do to look on point for the cameras.

I mean hair like that doesn't just happen, you gotta have a regimen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dan Didio posted:

Dren

DID YOU TAKE TWO? YOU CAN ONLY ADMINISTER ONE A DAY!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Alfajor posted:

Word to that. You know at least Jah is high too. Doesn't he say something about rolling up a doobie before each show, on ep 300? I think he does... but... I forget :420:

He really angrily said that he wasn't smoking weed during tapings in an early episode...but then later Seth clarifies that a noise we heard "was a marijuana pipe falling to the ground" to Jah's protestations...I think the only real way to tell what's up is how long his hippie rants go on in an episode, and how out there they are.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Hey dog. You dead dog.

"I ain't even playin. Your kids, too."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hey now, just a little pre-pro.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drewsky posted:

Where's that pic from?

And oh poo poo Seth's mom is back in the new ep.

Via this awesome Tumblr. If you check the Flickr account there are more pics of Seth hitting up some Seattle spots (like the original Starbucks) as well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I just listened to this segment (Episode #214, about 40 minutes in) a day or two before I saw this. It really is phenomenal.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 31, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Human Tornada posted:

Seth looks sad in all those pictures.

His body is reacting to not being in beautiful, sun-soaked LA.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Safeco Field placed 3rd in PETA's 2008 list of the top 10 vegetarian ballparks:

PETA posted:

Safeco offers veggie burgers, veggie dogs, baked potatoes, veggie sushi, fruit salad, pasta with marinara sauce, PB&J, edamame, veggie burritos, and veggie taco salad.

The real question is if he ordered the dog with or without speaking.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

How to make a good podcast

First you take a podcast

Combine it with milk

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mcvey posted:

How the gently caress is Seth still sober

Jah said at one point he wouldn't do the podcast anymore if Seth fell off the wagon.

Plus I get the sense that wherever Seth was before he got sober (Not physically, which was riding the Merry-Go-Round at an LA street carnival, calling Jonathan in tears saying he was really going to do it this time,) it was bad enough that it put him off the sauce for good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slotducks posted:

Can anyone find me the version of Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger that they used for the outro in episode 303?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHdboNjPnRs

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The discussion of Ouija boards in Episode 168 slays me. They make a lot of good points, primarily:

"What else even hints at the concept that you could buy something in a Toys 'R Us and talk to dead people with it?!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's definitely his cover of Margaritaville.

Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Lookin' for my...shoes and my wife
Everybody told me this was a long, long road
But I know
I'm gonna find it somehow

Is this your refrigerated carton milk?
Pretty sure I saw it somewhere else
I think my sister's gonna come into town
In a month
About a month or so

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Song For The Deaf posted:

I was surprised that he so readily admitted to taking Ketamine.

Ten years sober is a feat, though.

Oddly, no matter how guarded Seth is about his real personal life, he's incredibly candid about his past drug use. His K story was awesome because not only was it a very straightforward, open story about doing K, when he drops the circumstances of it the entire story moves to another level.

Seriously, though, what kind of rear end in a top hat gets sober on 4/20?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dan Didio posted:

Oh god, episode 175.

Human-animal hybrids legislation.

Tigerman.

"He wants to stop Future Tigerman."
"It's in their dossier, called 'Tigerman will attack within the United States'."

The first time I heard that was probably one of the hardest laughs they've ever gotten from me. Something about "Future Tigerman."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 8, 2012

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I still haven't checked out You Look Nice Today. Do you think it's something that might appeal to UYD listeners in general?

It's a jokier show without UYD's topicality but it has a lot of funny moments. The three hosts don't have personalities nearly as distinct or engaging as Seth and Jah, but they're all quick-witted and have good, natural repartee with one another. There's also a surprising number of weird "man I was messed up when I was young" stories as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You guys remember that story that Jah told about chasing a dog all over a neighborhood on his bike and finally rescueing it, only to have Lou Farrigno pull up to him in a huge truck to say "Hey (thumbs up) GOOD JOB"

Yes, and it was incredible. My favorite celeb story is still Jonathan seeing Snoop Dogg leaving The Great Western Forum in the mid '90s.

"Yeah, yeah. Odelay 'n poo poo."

Biodome posted:

Hope Seth brings back his stories of who he sees holding hands while out at whole foods or whatever.

I'd like to thank Seth for bringing "laughing and slapping" to my vocabulary. At first I just thought of it as a funny euphemism for "homosexual," but that is about the perfect summation of any playful flirtation between any two people of any sexual orientation.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 13, 2012