Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

neurotech posted:

This isn't really 5by5 related, but does anyone know the name of the song used for the intro to each Roderick on the Line episode?

I don't know the name of it, but I believe it's actually an unreleased Long Winters song. They talked about it a little in one of the early episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Marco is really whiny/annoying. I finally unsubscribed from him when I realized the only thing I enjoyed about his podcast was the server chat from Instapaper/Tumblr.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
I'm starting to see why some people hate Marco.

@marcoarment posted:

Adobe patched CS5: helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/s… Now I'm upgrading to CS6. (I objected on principle, not because I didn't want to upgrade.)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone been keeping up with the new Talk Show? Worth a shot?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

cbirdsong posted:

Has anyone been keeping up with the new Talk Show? Worth a shot?

It's fine - pretty much the same as the old one except some of the guests add to the show. I love Dan Benjamin, but it can be interesting to hear some of the things Gruber's guests have to say.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
The show has stabilized after some initial jitters. The first couple episodes were really hard to listen to because Gruber was so bad at being a host and reading the sponsor messages. The rambling is part of the show's charm, but there have to be limits. The most recent episode did a better job of chatting while still having enough structure to keep things moving.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I've been enjoying it. Gruber's definitely getting more comfortable as a host.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, I've been enjoying it. Gruber's definitely getting more comfortable as a host.

Holy poo poo! The first 30 seconds of today's Back to Work is amazing (assuming you listen to the show regularly).

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if you like Merlin in Back to Work and Roderick on the Line, definitely check out You Look Nice Today. It will also clue you in to the jokes about "Sandy" in Back to Work.

http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/schadenfunny
http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/opn%E2%99%A5wde

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Definitely. You Look Nice Today is a completely different beast than Merlin's other podcasts, but it's one of the funniest things on the internet. It doesn't have a lot of posts, but there's a thread for You Look Nice Today too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475634

I've also though about starting a thread for Roderick on the Line, but :effort:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mad Wack posted:

Marco is really whiny/annoying. I finally unsubscribed from him when I realized the only thing I enjoyed about his podcast was the server chat from Instapaper/Tumblr.

He really seems like an unpleasant dude. I listen anyway because I enjoy his insight about app development, etc, but his constant scorning of everything really starts to grate, especially when he does his douchey laugh.

John Siracusa on the hand, despite also complaining about lots of things, seems like an incredibly likeable guy. I want to go for a beer with him.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Lexicon posted:

He really seems like an unpleasant dude. I listen anyway because I enjoy his insight about app development, etc, but his constant scorning of everything really starts to grate, especially when he does his douchey laugh.

John Siracusa on the hand, despite also complaining about lots of things, seems like an incredibly likeable guy. I want to go for a beer with him.

I agree he's great, but I don't think he could go for a beer unless you give him months of lead time to determine which beer is the best.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Bah! John Siracusa does not alter his consciousness, don't be absurd.

Totally agree about Marco. I don't know if he's getting worse or if I'm just picking up on his douchisms(?) but yeah, that forced laugh of his often makes me turn off his show. He's super smart, interesting and, as far as I can tell, a pretty ethical, honest person but man he's smug sometimes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Bah! John Siracusa does not alter his consciousness, don't be absurd.

Totally agree about Marco. I don't know if he's getting worse or if I'm just picking up on his douchisms(?) but yeah, that forced laugh of his often makes me turn off his show. He's super smart, interesting and, as far as I can tell, a pretty ethical, honest person but man he's smug sometimes.

Agreed. I find that I'm still too interested in what he says to stop listening, but I have been finding him a lot more annoying lately.

Huge Siracusa fan though. I avoided his show at first because I didn't think I'd enjoy listening to a lot of negativity, but I got over that misconception of what the show would be like a long time ago, and Hypercritical is now definitely my favorite show on the network.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I still enjoy Build and Analyze, but the development topics are starting to get stale because Marco uses the same tools and techniques that he did three years ago.

He's constantly talking about how he needs to eventually drop PHP or start using more advanced iOS features, but he never does. It's odd to have a development focused podcast in which the host never tries new things or explores change in the iOS platform.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Siguy posted:

I still enjoy Build and Analyze, but the development topics are starting to get stale because Marco uses the same tools and techniques that he did three years ago.

He's constantly talking about how he needs to eventually drop PHP or start using more advanced iOS features, but he never does. It's odd to have a development focused podcast in which the host never tries new things or explores change in the iOS platform.

No kidding. On the most recent show he was going on about how he doesn't feel the need to use ARC, a major new memory management system that was brought in with iOS5.

I guess at the end of the day, his app is pretty straightforward, at least conceptually: it downloads text from a server and displays it. The hard part is the backend services needed to support this, plus, of course the design that makes it enjoyable to use. I take my hat off to him - it's an impressive product, and I use it constantly.

I don't know why I subject myself to his podcast though; the annoyance he generates usually exceeds my interest in his topics. Even my non-techie girlfriend who usually tunes out my podcasts when I'm listening in the apartment or car once remarked "Good God that guy has an obnoxious and annoying laugh".

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
In the most recent episode, Marco revealed that he used to frequent SA.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

He's mentioned this a few times before actually. I can see him as a goon.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So what you're saying is... he could be any one of us... in this thread.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Maybe even you.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
I have to say that I'm getting really sick of the weeks of App.net coverage, and if there was an easy way to skip it, I would. It's hard because it's often interspersed with other show topics I'm actually interested in. And it's not that it isn't intelligent commentary, because it is, but it is the first major topic in my year+ of listening to 5by5 that I just don't have any interest in... I'm not a Twitter person, so all this emotional investment in it on the hosts' parts is hard to relate to, and it feels like a continuous rehash of the same points. Also, app.net is a terrible name and I don't think they should let any opportunity to comment on that go past. I think that's a big part of why it grates on me--every time I hear the name I cringe.

Siracusa is amazing and I'd listen to him talk about anything. (Even app.net.) I agree that his show is easily misperceived because of the name and the framing... it's kind of unfair to call it "complaining," because it's more than that. It's really insightful critique that often makes me think about an issue in a different way.

I am also loving the latest run of B2W on the grit topic and hope they continue to revisit it.B2W is the only 5by5 show I listen to now where Dan feels like a true co-host rather than a moderator and guide, and the best episodes are the ones where he and Merlin are both fully on, which applies to the past two, for sure.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I nobody else will make the Merlin and Dan Bathroom Peril Text Adventure, and I sure as hell will.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone care to explain the appeal of B2W? I've tried listening several times, and it came across as nothing but the ravings of a mental case. I honestly don't think a coherent thought was expressed at any point by Merlin in the times I listened.

What am I missing?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe even you.

How could it be me - at no point in my posts have I tacked on unnecessary and unrelated snark about android.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone care to explain the appeal of B2W? I've tried listening several times, and it came across as nothing but the ravings of a mental case. I honestly don't think a coherent thought was expressed at any point by Merlin in the times I listened.

What am I missing?

The early episodes are a lot more focused and actually have topics. The current incarnation is basically a venue for Dan and Merlin to share in jokes and go on rants. Now they're both quite good at rants, but Merlin has two other shows (Roderick on the Line and You Look Nice Today) which are much better showcases for his comedy and attitude. At this point, Back to Work feels like a weaker version of those two shows, so I don't bother listening to it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Siguy posted:

The early episodes are a lot more focused and actually have topics. The current incarnation is basically a venue for Dan and Merlin to share in jokes and go on rants. Now they're both quite good at rants, but Merlin has two other shows (Roderick on the Line and You Look Nice Today) which are much better showcases for his comedy and attitude. At this point, Back to Work feels like a weaker version of those two shows, so I don't bother listening to it.

Maybe I should try again - in the portions of the few episodes that I listened to, there wasn't anything that could even charitably be described as a "rant" - it was seriously Merlin just making bleeps and bloops in between unrelated non-sequitur sentences, with a few occasional laughs from Dan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

As much as I love Back to Work, I can't imagine it being very accessible to people who haven't listened to every episode from the beginning. And some people just aren't going to like Merlin's style.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Lexicon posted:

What am I missing?

Here's Merlin's list of good "starter" episodes: http://merlinm.com/b2w-starter/

The one that personally got me hooked was Episode 17. The beginning has some funny jokes, but they get on topic pretty fast and they stick to the topic really well for the rest of the episode. And it's a really interesting episode about what it really means for a given task to be a "priority".

Episode 42 is pretty solid, too. I even typed up and saved what I thought was a great quote:

quote:

Merlin: Are you asking the right question? Are you stuck in life? Maybe the solution to your job is going somewhere else and not being at that job.

Dan: People hate that answer.

Merlin: They should hate that answer, because the harder and more annoying an answer is, the more likely that it's something useful. Because if it were easy, you'd already be doing it. You're waiting for some answer that's going to solve this whole constellation of problems that you've concatenated into one thing you call 'the problem'. Maybe there's not one answer, maybe there's not 14 answers, maybe there's something much deeper and getting to those right questions helps.

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2012

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Other than deviations like the bathroom episode, I think almost all of the B2W episodes follow the same formula: 20-30 minutes of nonsense and in-jokey stuff followed by 60-90 minutes of (relatively) serious discussion of the week's topic. Some are more focused than others, but I don't really feel like it's degraded much over time.

I do agree that it's probably hard to get into it if you aren't either (a) familiar with Merlin (I've been listening to him since he was on MacBreak in 2006) or (b) familiar with the show from episode 1. His style isn't for everyone, admittedly, and you're going to slam face-first into it with that first 20-30 minutes, but I think there's a lot of good stuff in there.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Weird, I entered this thread for the first time because I kept reading about the possibility of interesting things being discussed on Back To Work, but every time I try to listen to it it's just the worst rapid-fire hope-this-reference-sticks aging hipster garbage. I guess start from the beginning? I know I've heard some good stuff from Merlin before, but it seriously makes me want to bunker up and wait for the next startup bubble to pop. Like if thirty minutes in is the sweet spot I don't know what anyone is doing.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Hypercritical is easily the best show on 5by5 - Siracusa may have seem a little tyrannical sometimes in his adhering to his standards regarding show titles, show format and well, everything but drat it he's a tyrant I could get behind.

And I guess I'm not the only one getting a bit tired of Marco. As others have said, he's got plenty of interesting things to say, but if he could hold the constant victim complex re: his competitors (Instapaper is great, but the only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner), and his truly awful tittering (which Dan never laughs along with).

There's even a format to it: Sneak in a snarky remark -> Laugh at his own joke -> "Anyway".

I dunno. Is this what people tune in for?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The early B2W shows definitely have a clearer focus on 'helping people' (I think episode 7 is the one they tout as their best). More recently, there has been a lot more joking / general chit-chat, especially in the first half of each show (which I still really enjoy but personally could do with a little less of the X-Men stuff). When Merlin gets 'serious', though, he's really great. His perspective on advice, if you can call it that, generally focuses on asking yourself the *right* questions and accepting that, if you want something, you're probably gonna need to work for it. A few tricks / hacks might help you along but, y'know what? There are no easy answers. I was made redundant shortly after the 'golden era' and I'm certain that I dealt with it 99% more sensibly that I would have done had I not been listening to B2W.

Siracusa's show is by far my favourite, though. He's great. The best moments on 5by5 are when Dan bursts into laughter when John starts fully going for it. He's really likeable and funny.

I've always wondered what Dan's problem with the chatroom was a while back - a Gruber thing? I imagine a lot of trolls follow that guy wherever he goes. Think he might've even mentioned it was only 'certain people' or 'certain shows' that caused an issue.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

(which I still really enjoy but personally could do with a little less of the X-Men stuff).

Christ yes. I know way more than I'd like to know about the X-men thanks to B2W. I even heard Merlin say he approved of an X-men tattoo.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

King of Gulps posted:

Weird, I entered this thread for the first time because I kept reading about the possibility of interesting things being discussed on Back To Work, but every time I try to listen to it it's just the worst rapid-fire hope-this-reference-sticks aging hipster garbage. I guess start from the beginning? I know I've heard some good stuff from Merlin before, but it seriously makes me want to bunker up and wait for the next startup bubble to pop. Like if thirty minutes in is the sweet spot I don't know what anyone is doing.

Quit!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Quit! Is an amazing episode because of how incredibly inscrutable it is. Also, practical sleep advice.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Quit! Is an amazing episode because of how incredibly inscrutable it is. Also, practical sleep advice.

I thought Quit! was great, and I'm looking forward to the actual show of the same name. Also, the number of people who fell for the last episode thing, while predictable, is still pretty funny.

Did anyone catch the impromptu episode this afternoon? I listened to it a little bit live at work, but wasn't able to catch too much. What I did hear was sort of like the Apple News Show thing they were riffing on.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I caught about a half hour of it. I think they're not able to do it next week due to The Game Changers, so they're getting 91 in now.

It was pretty neat, and the only time I've been able to really use the 5by5 Radio app (which works great, even in the car). They talked a lot about the decisions that go into upgrading to new hardware.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Count me in the % that rates Quit! as best episode ever. What a great bit of opening banter.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Has anyone else listened to The Frequency yet? I like it a lot so far, newsy stuff plus jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

clockwork sundial posted:

Has anyone else listened to The Frequency yet? I like it a lot so far, newsy stuff plus jokes.

I want to like it, but I'm struggling. Two complaints:

- It's a bit ad-heavy. It's more a podcast of ads, than a podcast with ads.
- The girl, Haddie or whatever, is a bit grating. She has this annoying habit of repeating, in a silly voice, a substring of whatever sentence Dan has just said.

e.g.:
Dan: "Apple has just launched the iPad Mini"
Haddie: "theeeee eyyePaddd Mini!"

She does that through the whole show - all the while not really contributing much discussion.

I really, really like Dan Benjamin as a "radio personality" so I'll stick it out for another week, and likely unsubscribe after that.

• Locked thread