Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

wooger posted:

Cool, which one?

It's called Duckfeed.tv, and most of our shows are about video games, with a few straight-up comedy shows.

Edit: Crap, I didn't mean to start a page with a plug. For content... I enjoy the travel talk on Back to Work, but they've dedicated about 5 episodes in a row to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I enjoy Back to Work, but they have a tendency to stay on a topic for way too long. The travel stuff is just the latest instance of that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

For any Siracusa fans who missed it, he was a guest on this week's IRL Talk and it was amazing: http://www.irltalk.com/episodes/003

Naturally, the episode ended up being two-and-a-half hours long rather than its usual 45-60 minutes.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Diabolik900 posted:

For any Siracusa fans who missed it, he was a guest on this week's IRL Talk and it was amazing: http://www.irltalk.com/episodes/003

Naturally, the episode ended up being two-and-a-half hours long rather than its usual 45-60 minutes.

I realized John Siracusa is my spirit animal after he talked about the Halloween candy social experiments on ATP and the tremendous helicopter vs submarine rant on IRL Talk.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If Siracusa existed in attractive female form, I'd marry her in a minute.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

In Beta is "ending" after the next episode, 76. I put that in quotes because they say it'll continue, just not with Gina and possibly Kevin.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Has anyone listened to the new feed, "The Best of 5by5"? It's okay. :shrug:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

So John Siracusa was on the Debug podcast (http://www.imore.com/debug) and of course it spanned two episodes. Merlin was also on Unprofessional: http://www.muleradio.net/unprofessional/69/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There was some interesting stuff in those two Debug episodes, but there were just way too many people in it, which lead to a lot of crosstalk and dragged it out to about twice as long as it had to be. It gives me even more respect for how well Jason Snell is able to run/edit The Incomparable.

geera
May 20, 2003
Has anyone been listening to Bionic? I tried it out after it was mentioned on last week's ATP and I have to say, it's pretty funny. It's as close to podcast ADD as I've ever heard, but the two hosts just click together and it makes for some pretty entertaining listening.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I listened to a few episodes back around the time the show moved to 5by5 and I didn't really enjoy it but it sounds like the show has totally changed since then so I probably need to check it out again.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

geera posted:

Has anyone been listening to Bionic? I tried it out after it was mentioned on last week's ATP and I have to say, it's pretty funny. It's as close to podcast ADD as I've ever heard, but the two hosts just click together and it makes for some pretty entertaining listening.

I used to like it back when it was actually about tech, but recently it's gotten utterly moronic, at least in my opinion. I seem to be in the minority on this though... I get the impression it's more popular now than ever.

geera
May 20, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

I listened to a few episodes back around the time the show moved to 5by5 and I didn't really enjoy it but it sounds like the show has totally changed since then so I probably need to check it out again.
I started at episode 51, since that's what the hosts recommended for people who found them recently via ATP. You can tell that they turned a corner from being two random guys talking about technology, to being two random guys talking technology and also going off on the most bizarre tangents ever.

Lexicon posted:

I used to like it back when it was actually about tech, but recently it's gotten utterly moronic, at least in my opinion. I seem to be in the minority on this though... I get the impression it's more popular now than ever.
I'm about 5 months behind the latest episode, but I can see this happening. I think I need a little moronic humor every now and then though (I mean, it's pretty much what attracted me to SA).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

geera posted:

I started at episode 51, since that's what the hosts recommended for people who found them recently via ATP.

Ok, I finally just did this myself and loved it.

It's interesting to compare Bionic to Back to Work. Both shows spend a lot of time going humorously off-topic, but I think I've noticed a key difference. On B2W they always seem to eventually get the show on track and devote a decent amount of time to the actual topic of the show. Bionic, on the other hand, doesn't seem to mind completely going off the rails and never getting back to technology discussion.

I like both shows, but honestly the "on-topic" portions are probably my least favorite parts, so I like the direction Bionic has gone. I can see how other people might have exactly the opposite reaction.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Holy poo poo Bionic 52, reading Amazon reviews of baby chew toys.

Diabolik900 posted:

I like both shows, but honestly the "on-topic" portions are probably my least favorite parts, so I like the direction Bionic has gone. I can see how other people might have exactly the opposite reaction.

On-topic Back to Work is soooo tedious and repetitive, or at least it was awhile ago when I stopped listening. If you picked any contiguous five episode block and filtered for ostensibly on-topic content then the only distinguishing feature would be who's advertising. Some of the off-topic stuff is fantastic though.

I've only listened to two episodes of Bionic so far but I can't see them coming up with novel insights into the tech/gadget industry. Condensing the same blogs I already read isn't interesting. The off-topic stuff has been great so far.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

On the latest episode of Quit, Dan announces that Moises is leaving and taking all his shows minus Critical Path with him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Moises's role has always seemed kind of weird to me because I knew he had a bunch of shows on the network but I've never listened to any of them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pokeyman posted:

I've only listened to two episodes of Bionic so far but I can't see them coming up with novel insights into the tech/gadget industry. Condensing the same blogs I already read isn't interesting. The off-topic stuff has been great so far.

Mike Hurley is totally unlistenable for me; partly the tran-atlantic accent, mainly that he just seems to not know anything about what he's talking about. Mobile market analysis from someone who seems unaware of anything other than the iPhone is very tedious.

Malloreon posted:

On the latest episode of Quit, Dan announces that Moises is leaving and taking all his shows minus Critical Path with him.

Jesus, Dan is not doing too well in retaining talent is he?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

wooger posted:

Mobile market analysis from someone who seems unaware of anything other than the iPhone is very tedious.

Funny enough, this sounds a lot more like Dan than Myke to me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

wooger posted:

Mike [sic] Hurley is totally unlistenable for me; partly the tran-atlantic accent, mainly that he just seems to not know anything about what he's talking about. Mobile market analysis from someone who seems unaware of anything other than the iPhone is very tedious.

That's what I mean about not holding my breath waiting for insight. When he's just loving around he does great, and every time he says "haitch" I giggle. There's also the possibility that he talks about this stuff on four other podcasts each day and doesn't save any of it for Bionic (good, I don't care either).

quote:

Jesus, Dan is not doing too well in retaining talent is he?

I remember Dan saying for years (years! Sounds crazy) that he believed podcasting was coming into its heyday, about to overthrow radio, and he wanted to be part of that. If you think of 5by5 as a farm team for podcasting talent, it's been very successful.

If you think of it as a stable of shows, well, they seem to leave fairly quickly don't they.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pokeyman posted:

every time he says "haitch" I giggle.

Sheesh, where I'm from pronouncing the letter H like that is a sure sign of a lack of intelligence. Bugs the heck out of me.

See also people who say "pacific" instead of "specific", or "asterix" instead of "asterisk".

wooger fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 31, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bionic is so worth starting with whatever episode it started going wrong (51?) and catching up.

"The soft Matt"
*suspense accent*

What a strange show.

edit: Any new 5by5 shows worth checking out? Have there been new ones recently?

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I like The Prompt, if that still qualifies as new.

This recommendation might seem a little out of left field, but I stumbled across two episodes of Scriptnotes, a podcast about screenwriting, that might interest 5by5 listeners even if you don't care about screenwriting.

http://johnaugust.com/2014/the-one-with-the-guys-from-final-draft
http://johnaugust.com/2014/period-space

In the first one, the hosts talk to the makers of the screenwriting software Final Draft. I thought it was a fascinating look into the mindset of a software company that was absolutely dominant in their field for decades, but is now (maybe) beginning to be disrupted by smaller startups. The second episode has the hosts following up with their response to the interview.

moises
Feb 21, 2014
I registered an account so that I could reply to this thread. Hello! I apologize that my first post at SA (after lurking for ages) is self-promotional in nature, but you'll find it's also 100% on-topic, so please be kind in not reporting me for breaking any rules.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have taken both of my 5by5 shows (minus Critical Path) and launched a mini-network of my own with them, called ESN (Electric Shadow Network).

I've added a Customer Service show that I previously had done a pilot for on 5by5. The general format across the board is panel shows with guest combinations and caliber along the lines of (the seemingly-defunct) CrossOver on 5by5, which is the original way both my 5by5 shows were pitched. The predominant focus is on putting together shows and guest combos that no one else is doing. All three main shows are in New & Noteworthy as I post this, and things are going pretty drat well.

Even if you weren't aware of my shows when they were on 5by5 (whether or not due to a complete lack of cross-promotion), if you follow this thread, they might be your sort of thing:

Electric Shadow
movies (mostly), TV, and games: analysis and discussion
ep1: Horace Dediu & Guy English on the future of TV and content consumption
ep2: Merlin Mann, Matt Zoller Seitz, David Loehr on Wes Anderson and Fantastic Mr. Fox
ep3 (not yet posted): Adam "Sandy" Lisagor, Guy English, (schedule-depending) John Gruber

Thank You For Calling!
customer service: horror stories and how we fix and prevent them
ep1: Brent Simmons on Network Solutions and indie support
ep2: John Roderick, Jim Dalrymple, Lex Friedman, Brent Billings on airlines (part 1 of 2)
ep3 (not yet posted): part 2 of the above

Giant Size
giving people "jumping-on points" for reading comics, guests include comics pros
ep1: Merlin Mann on X-Men
ep2: David Marquez, Josh Ryan, Tara Rhymes on 3D comics (incl the one they made) and how they got in as fans
ep3 (not yet posted): David Sparks and Casey Liss on getting into comics as an adult

Upcoming guests and panelists include hosts from MPU/ATP/iMore/MacWorld/The Prompt/IRL Talk/You Look Nice Today and the like, geek-leaning celebs like Richard Dreyfuss, Peter Weller, Patrick Stewart, and a bunch of others.

My reasons for leaving are stated in a few different places already, but I would add that I echo the sentiments put out there by Marco regarding his departure. I appreciate Dan for getting me into podcasting, but the time came for me to go do it on my own.

I don't know if any of you would have questions, but I'd be happy to answer if you have them.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Electric Shadow Network is a badass freakin name.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I listened to the first episode of Electric Shadow last week and really enjoyed it. Guy and Horace made for an interesting combination of guests, and I'm glad to see you're planning to keep that kind of thing up. I'll definitely check out more.

Edit: Oh and also, I'm much more interested in Giant Size now that I know the premise. I was under the impression it was just general comics discussion, but as someone who reads very few comics, the actual premise seems much more interesting.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2014

moises
Feb 21, 2014

Diabolik900 posted:

I listened to the first episode of Electric Shadow last week and really enjoyed it. Guy and Horace made for an interesting combination of guests, and I'm glad to see you're planning to keep that kind of thing up. I'll definitely check out more.

Thanks! I have some really diabolical stuff planned there.

Diabolik900 posted:

Edit: Oh and also, I'm much more interested in Giant Size now that I know the premise. I was under the impression it was just general comics discussion, but as someone who reads very few comics, the actual premise seems much more interesting.

When I got back into comics, I found that all of the comics podcasts out there one of two things: either a guy interviewing people for three hours, or a neckbeard roundtable that was way over my head. The first three episodes of the "all-new" Giant Size are a perfect cross-section of the types of episodes to expect, and none require any previous comics reading experience by design. Hope you dig it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Best of luck with the new venture Moises. I don't think a ton of your interests overlap with mine (e.g. I'm not a comic book guy), but where they do, I've really enjoyed your work - especially Screen Time and of course The Critical Path.

moises
Feb 21, 2014

Lexicon posted:

- especially Screen Time and of course The Critical Path.

Many thanks! The former (as it transformed) is now Electric Shadow, with "Screen Time" turning into the uncut "talent interview" feed. On the CP front, I have something that may start in Q2 that would interest you in that "vertical", so stay tuned.

moises
Feb 21, 2014

Filburt Shellbach posted:

Electric Shadow Network is a badass freakin name.

I'm doing more with the "braaand" beyond just podcasting, so I'm glad you like it! It originated for another purpose, which will hopefully become part of the "portfoooolio" this year.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is it just me, or has there been a real lack of 5by5 show episodes, especially those involving Dan, in the past month or two?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just looked at the site and you seem to be correct about Dan-hosted shows at least. Back to Work and The Ihnatko Almanac are the only ones that seem to be sticking to a fairly regular schedule. I'd imagine he's just been busy with the behind the scenes work. Dan-hosted shows are a much smaller percentage of the network's catalog these days anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

On this week's Back to Work, do Dan and Merlin ever move on from talking about hotel and airplane cleanliness? I listened to the first twenty minutes and there's no way I can take another hour of this.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Lexicon posted:

Is it just me, or has there been a real lack of 5by5 show episodes, especially those involving Dan, in the past month or two?

From his twitter it sounds like they're preparing to launch something so he's probably busy with that.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If they're opening up the CMS, I'll be very, very happy. Squarespace works great, but it breaks down when you're running a network.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

If they're opening up the CMS, I'll be very, very happy. Squarespace works great, but it breaks down when you're running a network.

Probably a smart move. Everyone and their dog runs a podcast network these days - smart for Dan to focus on the advertising aspects more (that's what it seems like he's doing, anyway).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

On our old favorite topic, shows leaving 5by5, I wouldn't be surprised if The Incomparable leaves before too long. They basically have their own network of shows now at http://www.theincomparable.com and then this happened last night.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

On our old favorite topic, shows leaving 5by5, I wouldn't be surprised if The Incomparable leaves before too long. They basically have their own network of shows now at http://www.theincomparable.com and then this happened last night.

The Incomparable didn't start on 5by5 did it? Might be the first show to bounce off of it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They were independent for a while before joining 5by5. Not sure what you mean by "the first" though (see thread title).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

They were independent for a while before joining 5by5. Not sure what you mean by "the first" though (see thread title).

The first to join 5by5 (as opposed to launching thereon) then subsequently leave.

Probably not an important milestone, just couldn't think of any others.

• Locked thread