Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

pokeyman posted:

It's pretty impressive. I don't think he crams for it either, I think it's just an excellent working knowledge of whatever subject (by "working knowledge" I mean knows a lot from a user's perspective) combined with a heightened sense of self-examination. I don't think he is comfortable saying "I like/dislike X but I can't really say why, I just do".

Also he's been carrying even more weight than usual on that show the past couple weeks.

Yeah, I agree with all of this, as another Siracusa fan.

He used to do tons of research for Hypercritical, and I think one of the reasons he stopped was because it was taking up too much of his time. (I seem to recall him discussing it, maybe on the last episode?) He's not going to do a half-assed job on a topic, so if he was going to discuss something on a show he'd have to research it. Throw the OS X reviews and his day job into the mix and it's an untenable position.

On ATP the focus is a bit more laid back, plus Marco and Casey don't let him go to those lengths. I think it's a good balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've also noticed that Siracusa'll go pretty quiet for entire topics. Usually he's just waiting for the other guys to finish so he can tell them they're wrong, but occasionally (and I think he's even pointed it out) it's because he's got nothing to add. The guy's great.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I've also noticed that Siracusa'll go pretty quiet for entire topics. Usually he's just waiting for the other guys to finish so he can tell them they're wrong, but occasionally (and I think he's even pointed it out) it's because he's got nothing to add. The guy's great.

Funny enough, on the latest episode of Analogue, Casey mentioned that this is something he's had to learn is ok. At first, he felt like he always had to chime in with something on every topic they discussed, but he's realized over time that it's ok to just say nothing when he has nothing to add.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I agree with all of the Siracusa praise, but you can catch him in inconsistent ideas when he ventures out of his domain of knowledge. Specifically if you listen to him talking about movies and television. He has strong opinions about all the stuff he watches but he does not have a background in storytelling, so he'll occasionally say something about a TV show or a writer that rings false if you know more about the subject than he does.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Siracusa says some pretty dumb uninformed stuff sometimes but he just overwhelms with detail and states things authoratively so he sounds knowledgeable. The recent episode where he talks about Swift he is basically 100% wrong

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

the talent deficit posted:

Siracusa says some pretty dumb uninformed stuff sometimes but he just overwhelms with detail and states things authoratively so he sounds knowledgeable. The recent episode where he talks about Swift he is basically 100% wrong

I confess I wasn't listening very closely, but I remember him sharing some opinions about Swift but didn't catch anything that he presented as factual. What'd he gently caress up?

There definitely is that problem of sounding authoritative though. Like if someone with a great newsreader voice says total bullshit, it sure sounds legit for a minute.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pokeyman posted:

I confess I wasn't listening very closely, but I remember him sharing some opinions about Swift but didn't catch anything that he presented as factual. What'd he gently caress up?

I don't want to put words in his mouth but if I get a chance I'll go back relisten and take notes this time

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Attention Bionic fans: http://www.blog.relay.fm/blog/2014/10/30/bonanza

moises
Feb 21, 2014

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, but that was ages ago and he remained a host of TCP. Only this week he vanished from it, and nothing was mentioned.

Hey, I'm obviously months behind checking in on this. A friend mentioned this interchange to me yesterday.

I was in for sticking around as long as it worked for Horace and our schedules could gel. He took a job with the Clayton Christensen Institute, and needed to pivot the show more toward being part of his work there. Absolutely zero hard feelings involved, and if/when there are major topic areas related to my primary fields of expertise, I'll make return appearances.

Horace and I were going to do our last one together live after the Apple Event that would've coincided, but my plans had to change at the last minute and I couldn't fly out. We were going to record something together to go in the feed to note the handoff, but neither of our schedules would make that possible before the show needed to keep plowing along. Nothing weird or untoward happened here, just lousy "hey audience, here's what the deal is" sort of stuff. Not my network, not my show.

In addition to the headline shows I launched on my network...

I've added two shows with Rich Stevens from Diesel Sweeties: Night Moves, where he and I talk about the paranormal and weird without it getting too technical or C2C-level expert (or serious), and Coffee & Cider, where he and Danielle Corsetto (from Girls With Slingshots) talk about getting work done.

A Twin Peaks retrospective/rewatch show called Fire Talk With Me started in July.

The feed is fresh for a Criterion Collection-focused "micro-show" I'm trying out called Criterion Collected, which is actually starting within the next 24 hours.

Probably a little bit more new stuff before end of year, too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Cool - thanks for the update!

moises
Feb 21, 2014
Monday 24 November, 8am Central:

Watch Twitter for the announcement of something.

moises
Feb 21, 2014

moises posted:

Monday 24 November, 8am Central:

Watch Twitter for the announcement of something.

The announcement was that Systematic and Overtired are both done at 5by5 and resuming/rebooting on ESN.

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

Doing your part to keep this thread's title fresh and relevant.

Overtired looks interesting - somehow I'd missed checking it out before now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a representative episode, or is it one of those "start at the beginning" podcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Systematic can be amazing depending on guest. The 4-5 part John Roderick series was great, a touch more serious than 'Roderick on the line', but still cool.

Ha, just listened to the latest systematic - the guest is Lex Friedman, of the podcast ad network Midroll.

Brett made a point of asking Lex about podcast ad sales in the last year.

Lex said everything is booming, hundreds of % growth year-on-year, Serial is changing the market.

Brett said (paraphrasing): Oh, that's the exact opposite of what I've been told recently.

I wonder if this is referencing the 5by5 exit, could be a bone of contention.

wooger fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread