Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's really not as development-heavy as you might expect. It really covers pretty similar ground to The Talk Show, at least as far as tech topics go. And even when they talk about development topics, it's usually about high-level strategy kind of stuff, and not nitty-gritty coding details. I don't enjoy it as much as Hypercritical, The Talk Show, and Back to Work but I still think it's worth listening to if you like those shows.

I just sat in the B&A chatroom for the first time because I was interested in the reasoning behind the enormous mute switch debate.

I now see why they call them jackals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

patricius posted:

Either way, the total lack of comment from either of them is only fanning the speculation fire. Curious to see what info, if any, emerges in the next week or so.

I've always been confused at this silent strategy when dealing with professional drama. It's one thing when the cat is still in the bag: keep quiet and hope no one notices.

But when everyone knows something has changed, pretending it's just business as normal is transparent as hell and accomplishes nothing. Would Hacker News comments be any more of a cesspool if one of them was up-front and honest about what happened? No.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things who gives a poo poo, just gossiping.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

Do these people really need to scramble and be dicks for money? Every single one of them has a following large enough - even if only in the design/development world - that they will never want for opportunities as long as they are alive. Gruber could today quit blogging and podcasting and t-shirts and be hired by any number of companies just by telling them his name.

John rambles on his blog about corporate strategy, but for himself, he couldn't leave 5by5 gracefully?

he1ixx posted:

My worry is that Merlin (who also knows Monteiro from the early web design boom), Dalrymple, Siracusa and others leave 5by5 out of allegiance to John. I doubt it because Dan seems to have actual relationships with those folks but money speaks volumes.

Merlin seems to put more his genuine personality out there than other hosts; I can't imagine him wasting his time with these drama games. Are all these guys drama queens?

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I hope the "cultural" focus of 5by5 will include something other than comics. Ihnatko talks about comics half the time, ditto for Moises and even Merlin now, and there are two whole shows just about comics. gently caress – talk about movies, or food, or anything else, please.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

Suck posted:

Anyway, thanks for listening to my show, and I hope you'll try whatever I attempt next in podcasting.

I'll watch this thread for a while and respond to questions if you want.

Thanks for the show, Marco! It's been a highlight of my week.

• Locked thread