Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

is threedom something you can just jump into, or do you need to start from the beginning to keep up? I tried listening to a random episode and the first 10 minutes or so were so dense with what i assume are inside jokes and references to previous episodes that i found it a bit impenetrable, but maybe I just got unlucky and picked a bad one to start with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

is threedom something you can just jump into, or do you need to start from the beginning to keep up? I tried listening to a random episode and the first 10 minutes or so were so dense with what i assume are inside jokes and references to previous episodes that i found it a bit impenetrable, but maybe I just got unlucky and picked a bad one to start with

I started from the beginning but I feel like it's kind of a crapshoot, some episodes aren't as bad as others but it's hard to tell. Sometimes the inside jokes are truly inside jokes that aren't even from the show so there's no getting past those.

That said, it is a fun one to start from the beginning, there's some talk about what's going on because obviously why wouldn't there be the last few years, but it doesn't feel crucial to the show.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started listening sometime this year, and there definitely are some running jokes, but I think it was pretty easy getting into it. A fairly recent episode titled boop was absolutely hilarious, so maybe give that one a listen to

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think you need to catch up on anything for Threedom, especially if you're familiar with Scott/PFT/Lauren from CBB.

It's possibly my favorite show these days, always glad to see it pop up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is better to listen from the beginning because they can't repeat old stories like many other long running podcasts. If they do they get a spanking

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That gets more and more challenging the more they continue to make episodes. Just listen and enjoy. You may miss an occasional joke because of some reference. If you really start to enjoy the show enough, you'll want to go back and listen all on your own. It's what I did with Teacher's Lounge.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Old slobs know!

Threedom is good even without the context of older episodes. The hosts will let you know when they are going over stuff again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll give it another try, thanks; I think I must have picked a particularly dense episode, there are CBB episodes that i imagine must be the same way if you try to listen to them as your first episode, I'll try a different one and see!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Keep in mind that Threedom came after a long live tour that they all went on, plus years of CBB. The inside jokes are thick from the start.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Anyone else's CBBWorld countdown Part 4 RSS shut off about 20 minutes before the end? I had to go to earwolf to listen to the last 20 or so minutes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ArtVandelay posted:

Anyone else's CBBWorld countdown Part 4 RSS shut off about 20 minutes before the end? I had to go to earwolf to listen to the last 20 or so minutes.

Yep it was rather... bad

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm going back through my backlog now, and between the best ofs and the holiday special, I'm really appreciating how funny Will Hines is, his characters always bring such a great energy to an episode.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was glad PFT kept shouting out Lily Sullivan, because I think she's the best regular who's been added to the rotation in the last couple years. Honestly I'm happier to see her name on an episode description than just about anyone.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Lily is super funny. Her book club CBB Presents episodes have been a highlight too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Her appearance as Carissa in the 12th anniversary episode is maybe the hardest I've laughed at CBB in a while. Just the idea of Randy Snutz getting really amped up after being on the show is so good.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but if you find Lily Sullivan and Tim Baltz funny then she has an Instagram story worth checking out called #CheckBit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm continuing with the best ofs and oh my god PFT coming in as The Grizz is the hardest I've laughed in a while

I was already laughing every time they said Grizz before he came on so that just pushed me over the edge

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok I gave threedom another chance and it's very funny, I'm glad I did. Did you say boop?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dr. Sweetchat the Small-Talk Robot helped make this a strong start to two-oh!-two-two.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
"we do this the beginning of every year"
"ever year, you and I get together"
"yeah [laughs] and nothing is different this year"
"nope!"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Chairman Capone posted:

Dr. Sweetchat the Small-Talk Robot helped make this a strong start to two-oh!-two-two.

I shut it off after a minute or so, that robot effect was WAY too hard to listen to. I listen to almost every episode of CBB but I have a low tolerance for extremely goofy voices.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FBS posted:

I shut it off after a minute or so, that robot effect was WAY too hard to listen to. I listen to almost every episode of CBB but I have a low tolerance for extremely goofy voices.

The voice made it funnier because no one could understand it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Me as the listener desparately guessing what the robot was saying was key to a very funny character. But I found the vocodered nonsense pleasing to listen to anyway, I would have skipped if it was auditorily grating.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mr. Squishy posted:

"we do this the beginning of every year"
"ever year, you and I get together"
"yeah [laughs] and nothing is different this year"
"nope!"

Man I feel bad for Ben with both Middleditch and Sanz turning out to be scummy people.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Me as the listener desparately guessing what the robot was saying was key to a very funny character. But I found the vocodered nonsense pleasing to listen to anyway, I would have skipped if it was auditorily grating.

Yea I found it funny, I think some of my favorite moments in the show are when bits just start to fall apart and Scott points that out. The actual bit was actually a bit weak though, it was funnier with the guests trying to figure what he was saying.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 3, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like when my best friend Scott is laughing. But yeah that robot voice was too much.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This discussion is just reminding me how loving funny Victor and Tiny's podcast sample on CBB was.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

LesterGroans posted:

This discussion is just reminding me how loving funny Victor and Tiny's podcast sample on CBB was.

Might be a top five CBB moment for me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Besson posted:

Absolutely.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DWUq1AXmk

"It's not all good news, though..."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 4, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I listened to the episode with Potato yesterday, I liked Potato.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Besson posted:

I think I literally almost choked laughing at that yeah. I was already in tears and then the buzzing came back and i simply died

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

God even just remembering that moment has me laughing. Whatever happened to Brendon Small? He hasn't been on CBB in a while right?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

feedmyleg posted:

Absolutely.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DWUq1AXmk

"It's not all good news, though..."

A little buzz? What is this, toy story?

Also I was crying laughing at Dr sweetchat the small talk robot

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 4, 2022

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think the robot was funny and I'm glad he's in the plug bag song. The whole episode was good, the Best Ofs reminded me of how good this show can be, so I'm gonna try to listen every week again, and this was a strong start.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
between this thread's reaction to Potato and Dr Sweetchat, I genuinely don't understand what you're listening to CBB for if you're put off by those characters. Is it just so you can hear scott talk to Interesting People?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm upset that no one is using Potato's full name: Ugums.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I set aside my dislike for Pardo to hear Uggums the Potato, and even though Pardo was still insufferable, Uggums was great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I think the robot was funny and I'm glad he's in the plug bag song. The whole episode was good, the Best Ofs reminded me of how good this show can be, so I'm gonna try to listen every week again, and this was a strong start.

Yeah I haven't listened to CBB all year, but the best ofs were just as good as I remember the show being, so I'm picking it back up again and working backwards.

The holiday special was amazing, this jimmy pardo interview is not (i don't need to know that you don't like the sound of your wife chewing, that isn't my business), but I'll try skipping ahead to see what's up with this potato figure you're all talking about before bailing on that ep

Threedom has been a treat though, thank you all for encouraging me to give that another shot

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Finally listening to this week's episode and stunned to learn that anybody had a negative opinion about Dr. Sweetchat. Just incredible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking about the best ofs made me remember “wonderful dotters”, which has to be one the smartest dumbest jokes I’ve ever heard

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I didn't like Potato, but loved the small talk robot. As usual, none of this matters and we should shut the gently caress up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can't tell if what I loved more, Dr Sweetchat or Scotts reaction to him.

My one cbb complaint is when Scott immediately dislikes a character, so I liked when he played along with Dr Sc and Uggums.