Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Gelman story from this history of the UCB is awesome. Lots of CBB guests in here, should be of interest to regular listeners!

http://nymag.com/print/?/arts/comics/features/upright-citizens-brigade-2011-10/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I'm with you, although the conclusion of the game with Jimmy Pardo recently almost made up for my usual disdain for it.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I think Jimmy Pardo said they should pack the game up forever because that was the best it would ever get, and I think he was right.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

ClaytonClaw posted:

That reminds me; I was listening to an old episode (ep 82) a couple of days ago with cyber thug as a guest and he mentioned he was getting his own show on earwolf.

Did anything come out of that? I can't find it on earwolf.com and it didn't sound like a joke.

Also I just checked and that was his last appearance on the show.

They did 2 episodes (3?), the next one got delayed, and then all Cyberthug podcast mentions disappeared from the Earwolf site. Some random comedy site interviewed Miles Archer, and he suggested that they had a slightly less than amicable disagreement over what rights the Earwolf network would have over him and the podcast.

edit: Found the interview! http://www.opplol.com/milesarcher.html

quote:

Miles Archer: "The show stopped because Earwolf felt they needed us to sign a contract that, we felt, was very limiting as far as what we could profit from the show and any potential future endeavors. Basically, they wanted to keep the overwhelming majority of the advertising revenue that would be generated and have control over any projects that could have spun off from the podcast.

The language in the contract they offered us was a bit contradictory, we felt, and when our lawyers gave them a counter proposal that would have made us equal partners in our ad revenue (after agreeing to let them recoup their initial cost/overhead first) they became uninterested & told us they wouldn't be able to go forward.

The funny thing is, we would've done the show without a contract just based on the personal relationships that everybody involved has had with each other. We would have even continued to do episodes while we continued to negotiate the terms, but that isn't how it worked out. Once it became about making a serious business move, the whole energy of the relationship, for me, became kinda 'Us against Them' and we felt like we got involved with you guys in good faith and now you're offering a contract that we'd be crazy to sign and telling us to 'take it or leave it.'

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 1, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

New Analyze Phish today? Be still, my @twittels podcast loving heart!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The first week with Yo La Tengo, did Scott say it was a September-only deal? And presumably, this was recorded before the end of September? Because I agree, I miss the weirdo comedy songs.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

..and that weird racist song by Burt Bacharach and that "Mulatto" song and that weird "I'm A Happy Boy" song and so many more.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

MACHISMO!

The episode that made me *get* CDR/CBB was Nick Kroll/Paul Scheer, and one of the very first things I heard and liked on the show was his Earwolf callsign recording, so El Chupacabra will always be my favourite.

THE WOLF DEAD.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Cacahuate posted:

Well... when I go to Queens I HAVE A GOOD TIME!! :nyd:

You know how it is to get a song stuck in your head? That happens to me with this phrase at least once a week.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm tempted to continue responding to every mention of cake boss with "(cake boss!)" but don't worry, I won't.

I briefly met PFT at Just For Laughs Montreal (his one man show), quickly giving him props before signing off with a "Cake Boss!". He chuckled, and I'll thank you not to make me consider the possibility it was forced, like the early stages of people quoting the Rick James sketch to Dave Chappelle.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Even though I don't like that game, the Jimmy Pardo / Auckerman moment was an all-time classic.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

A great list, but I'm still hoping we can Womp It Up.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

So read to Womp It Up!

edit: ugh, "ready"

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 16, 2012

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Or "Scott, Harlequin! Said the TicktAukerman".

I want a partial credit on that.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Hey Ottawa buddies! I am also bummed about no JFL CBB, very jealous of the Boston goers.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Wrong podcast! It originated on season 6 or so of Never Not Funny, as best I know, as a Scott anecdote about a trip to a convenience store.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

PFT's semi-off-mike reaction to the Marc Mar-ron! destroyed me.

Got to see/meet him, Todd Glass, James Adomian (also saw him at a disappointingly underattended show in Ottawa - he was amazing), and several other CBB favourites a few times over at the Just For Laughs festival in Montreal this past week, and it took away some of the pain of not being able to make the CBB live tour (as does being able to buy the live tour downloads).

James did the Sheriff of Nottingham at the festival closing alternative comedy showcase hosted by Andy Kindler, and the friends who I had brought along who had never heard of him before were instantly won over. Really stoked for his standup CD (apparently on sale with the tour, before hitting the Earwolf site August 13), and I'd be surprised if his standup and character work doesn't blow up in the year to come.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 30, 2012

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

ohshititsric posted:

poo poo when was Adomian in Ottawa?

Sunday the 22nd, it was run by a group of well-meaning Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa comics (I think) who runs shows under the name "I Heart Jokes" (recently - Doug Stanhope, Kyle Kinane). The Montreal/Toronto shows always seem decently promoted, but the Ottawa shows less so, and this one was a borderline secret gig. Plus there was confusion around the event timing, and the 15-20 who showed up were evenly split between thinking the show started at 8PM and 10PM.

It was kind of borderline to go or not, but they went, and Mr. Adomian killed - while busting on the organization and crowd size.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

And the best-ofs which follow are usually pretty amazing, too.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

A couple of news sources are reporting the passing of Huell Howser, which only caught my attention because Comedy Bang Bang taught me who he is.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

So was Schall serious when she was talking about her special not airing? For some reason the whole thing sounded kind of real and sad.

Yeah, definitely - and Scott kept on it for a bit, which was a little awkward. What went weird with the special taping, I wonder?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

If I understood Brody Stevens on You Made It Weird (he referred to a show "over there" after talking about Scott Aukerman and having to play a character) he recorded an episode that never aired because it got "too serious". Another lost episode!

Pete Holmes talking about CBB as a show "you'd have to play a character on" reminded me that he's never been on CBB.

edit: grammar

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 13, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I wonder about that too, although Scott has sort of drawn the net of who comes on tighter since the first 100 episodes, and a Pete Holmes appearance seems like something that would have happened in that range. (Like Kumail and Kyle Kinane and Jimmy Pardo).

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

No B-B-Bonus episode this week (yet?), but Pete Holmes dropped a minor "my wife" into his Jeff Garlin episode which will have to sustain me. :mad:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I think I know too much about his overall worldview to read that tweet the way people want to read that tweet in isolation, so the whole thing is kinda :psyduck:.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I will miss the first part of the show with the end of the Chappelle show and hustling over from Place Des Arts, but this is the closest a CBB show has ever come to Ottawa, so what the heck.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

JFL42 in September would be a good opportunity. Wish the Montreal show had been announced sooner - I'd have planned around it instead of fitting it in.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Although JFL also had a dude named Loyiso Gola who hosts their Daily Show equivalent - him or Trevor, also at JFL.

Chappelle let out wickedly late, so I missed the entire CBB show! :(

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I got mine off ticketmaster immediately after the announcement. Front row!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

It's worth mentioning that Jen Kirkman is also great when shes's on The Crab Feast.

Took me a while to get to an episode of the Crab Feast, but having only listened to episodes with people I liked, they do a pretty good job of getting new and interesting stories and banter out of people I've heard a lot before.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Toronto had PFT as Alan Thicke and Sean Cullen, from Corky and the Juice Pigs, which lead to a surprise story about the time he filled in for Stephen Page of BNL at a benefit.

(IT'S BEEN!)

Posted a couple of pictures here since we were in the front row. PFT was resplendent in his suit, like a comedian bird of paradise.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKy7sqi

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

There was an RO Manse track (maybe Santa?) that had a guest who sounded a lot like Aziz to my early comedy fan ears, but I'm sure I'd be embarrassed to hear who it actually was.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

suitably Bob Ducca, and he even started to read a list, although he couldn't because it's a half hour long show not a 1.5 hr show

Planned Parenthoodie was pretty great, but I was so excited to see Bob Ducca read a new list on TV (especially with the great premise of Shark Tank products), and felt like Charlie Brown with the football yanked away when they cut that short. :(

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

urk the quack posted:

That background laughter really takes whatever podcasts he's on and ramps it up a notch.

He and James Adomian should record laugh tracks.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I watched it, and can still barely believe it exists. How can they ever follow that?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Apparently funnyordie.com is #1 source of referrals to healthcare.gov right now (or so says @healthcaretara).

Man, Hot Saucerman.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

That's so fly, definitely one of the top shows on TV. I just hope they can keep the quality and laughs per minute up (that show is pretty relentless and obviously has a bunch of thought put in to it).

Yeah, that's my only concern - it's so much more 'handcrafted' or something, it seems harder to mass-produce episodes than something like @midnight.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Kinda funny to see Scott joke-railing against Obama here knowing he'd meet him for Between Two Ferns.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

It's impressive he was able to talk in his outraged voice for the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Shots fired at Feral Audio.