Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The thread where we post with interesting users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Ghost boy's mom was the spookiest character this year.

The phrase "twatty milk" was impressively good at making me laugh and gag at the same time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

#diaplife

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the opening segment with just Rob. The rest of the episode was a bit hard to get through.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The idea that Chris Matthews' favorite movie is The Secret of NIMH seems oddly plausible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Zeke Nicholson, he was great this week, too. I think he's one of my favorite new guests of the last year or two.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Adomian should always be the last guest because he is 100% guaranteed to steamroll everyone who comes after him. Not that Nicole Byer's character was that great, but jeez Adomian is incapable of not being the center of attention for 30 seconds.

My favorite example of this was in the episode from 6 or 7 years ago when Tim and Eric were on, and Adomian started doing a really obnoxious Dr. Bronner soap salesman, and they just were not having anything to do with it.

I haven't listened to every single episode but that's the only one off the top of my head where the guests just completely refused to engage with a character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

da beeper king BABY posted:

I think it's an exaggeration to say Tim always just stonewalls everyone else, if you watch that video episode with him and Paul Rust and Jon Daly he's obviously having fun and participating. He's also brought some all-time classic bits like his The Who merch and Woody Allen's "Ching Chong Matinee".

E: somehow I got beat to all of these points

Tim once in a while did actual characters, too - he was Nick Nolte at least once. I forget if he ever did Rock and Roll Gary on CBB or if that was only on the Poundcast.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did they cover Campbell's racism and anti-semitism? Admittedly I'm not a huge expert on him but from what I've read it seems like that was a big part of his personal beliefs but is not widely known (much like Roald Dahl).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hamm is maybe the best big-name guest. He really gets into it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ArtVandelay posted:

Well, this has got to be the most disappointingly terrible anniversary/holiday episode the show has done so far. It seems like that's what Scott was going for, so good for him?

Yeah, I have to agree... I like Zeke and Ego's characters, but weren't their best ones. And as much as I like PFT and Lauren Lapkus, they were kind of lowballing it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm so glad PFT made a point of clarifying that Manson never personally killed anyone.

I did laugh really hard at, "Finally, we can rest assured that Charles Manson got a happy ending!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

It is insane how good Tommy boy is on CBB.. And to get that to of performance or if Raj, whooooo baby

I think you mean, Hee hee heeeeeeeee!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think my favorite part of today's episode was PFT's audible sound of disgust in the background when they look up the picture of Edward Penishands eating pasta.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also loved Scott's introduction of him this episode. "Speaking of stewing in your own filth, our next guest probably doesn't do that."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bath Tubs posted:

Okay the Bane bit that Gil Ozen does on episode 567 is the most i've laughed at at a CBB bit in a long time for some reason.

For some reason, I always burst out laughing when he would constantly pepper his responses with the "Yesss!" in the Bane accent.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

We had a dog named Milo last episode!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Apparently Zouks has a small role in Wreck-It Ralph 2 as a character named Hey Nongman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know it's a long way off, but when the Pokemon movie comes out next year, I really hope we get to hear Dash Grabum's take on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like PFT and Lauren's morning news radio duo, from a few years ago when the Orphan Black people were the guests.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Laterite posted:

But then that in itself is because of Scott's insistence on maintaining "continuity" on all these characters for some reason. I imagine that's why we don't hear from Cake Boss, JW Stillwater, etc. anymore. It's exhausting just to listen to a five minute recap of a character's backstory, it's probably excruciating to remember as a performer.

It's probably harder for the performers now also, since the CBB Wiki is less obsessively updated than it was a few years back when pretty much everything about a character was put on there so the actors could just read the entries and get reminded of what it was they had said a year or two prior.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One episode that sticks out particularly from this year is the one with Jon Hamm as a guest where Dash Grabem is also introduced. I liked the Wajatta one, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I think 2013-15 or so was the high water mark for the show. Though I agree with the above poster that 2017 was a solid year, too.

Strange to think that Heynong Man originated in mid-2015. Feels way older than that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope Bobby Moynihan's Batman and Gil Ozeri's Bane encounter each other in a future episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I didn't realize until this episode that Morpheus is supposed to be the character from The Sandman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I wonder if he gets angrier and angrier in his performance of it each year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Now I miss the 2017 theme even more than I did during 2018.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Edit: Wow, Scotty 2 Naughty does an erectile dysfunction ad in the latest CBB. Noice!

There have been some odd adds recently. HDTGM has had some really bizarre Skittles adds that I'm not sure were just Paul reading them as written or trying to make something incoherent up on his own.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really hope to see the Joker edited into Rushmore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

PFT coming in hot with the Alimony Tony stuff was great, loved the change in pace to the start of the episode. Whoever wrote that catchphrase must've been loving it.

Is this the first time a character has been invented from the catchphrase?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Joker talk in this episode made me think that there's been an awful lot of Batman-related characters or discussion in the show recently.

Still hoping we get to see Batman and Bane together.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was actually waiting for Patton Oswalt to bring up Jonah Hex.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really laughed at Besser's impersonation of Jackson Maine's impersonation of a B-52s song.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think he actually revealed the name of his character (Tick-Tock Man) for the first time on a CBB episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Peter Griffin and Jessica McKenna this week? Sold!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ArtVandelay posted:

The payoff of Tim actually secretly recording his annoyed and bored wife absolutely destroyed me.

These were my favorite parts. Especially the second one about the title of the show. "Honey, I named it that so at the club people would say 'I think you should leave with Tim Robinson.'" "Okay."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm only about two hours into it but this is already one of the best in a long time. Andrew Lloyd Webber's bit was great. The phrase "T. S. Elliot phone home" is such a simple joke but had me laughing for a long time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A bit before the 5 hour mark, Scott mentioned how a few guests had walked off the show angrily over the years... did that ever actually happen, or was it just a joke?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ArtVandelay posted:

I just made it to Martin Sheffield Lickely and I've never been so happy.

His might have been my favorite part, too. Though I also really liked Chelsea Peretti/Adam Scott and Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.

One thing I noticed, I think they messed up once in the editing - I think John Lennon should have been before Rudi North, since Scott mentions something to Rudi North about his conversation with Lennon.

Overall it's one of the all-time faves for me, the huge mix of characters and styles and the occasional heartfelt moments made it such a great condensation of the show as a whole. Also, very happy that next week's #600 will also be something exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I would really like it if CBB did another episode like the early years where Scott's out and a new host has broken in and taken over the show, but with The Boys.

Wasn't there an episode a few years ago where they did this, but just for one segment?