Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with Scott pushing caution on jokes more lately? He told Gino not to say bitch because "the optics were bad" on the show. What the hell does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's been on pretty much every episode this year where he's stepping on jokes because they're too much. I didn't know if it was the new producers or co-owners or whatevwr's happening at Earwolf now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gino: *talking about his mom haveing sex* That bitch is constantly in heat.

Scott: Hey, no, we can't say that anymore.

Gino: Oh, sure, we can't say that.

Scott: No, the...Optics on the show are...bad....

Gino: Oh, well, I wouldn't want to upset the bad show optics. Of anyone, I feel like you should be able to call your own mom a bitch.

Three minutes later Gino starts talking about his mom and step-father fingering each other.

It's weird to step on the joke of him saying his mom is a bitch in heat, and clarifying that he's talking about a bitch in a canine capacity, but then let him talk about his parents fingering each other in a bathroom.

Again, it's been happening in a lot of recent episodes, and doesn't feel like Scott trying to wear a joke out or play straight man. But I could be wrong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

Listened to the first live SXSW show on howl. Bob Odenkirk is a guest on the first one, does his usual spectacular job of playing to while simultaneously hating the premise of the show. Jess McKenna kills it as always. And Seth Morris has a vey Seth Morris-y character. A great ep.

I loved Bob's appearance as the parody character Neil Silverblatt. I wish it would come back, it was hilarious and short lived.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Which is weird as hell, since Scotty was making most of those jokes for the first few years. During the video episode with Gilly and Garry Marshall and the plastic baby, Awkwardman gleefully keeps trying to finger the baby's rear end in a top hat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but, dude, she's so hot bro.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I think Mantzoukas and Daly can be fun together, but as impressive as Daly playing all the characters in the crossover was, it was still a pretty dire episode imo, and I feel like that would have been a good time to stop trying to create a Dalyverse. Even beyond Daly, I think worrying too much about continuity is a big part of where a lot of the established characters on CBB have gotten bogged down.

This, and spending twenty minutes to review their absurd backgrounds (and still getting them wrong). I like callbacks, Scott, not discourses on silly stories devoid of the context that makes them funny.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PerilPastry posted:

This is probably my least favorite Andy Daly appearance so far for that very reason. August being a wide eyed pretzel maker with an absolutely unquenchable enthusiasm for wherever he goes and whatever he experiences really is the charm of the character to me.

Hell, on "The Andy Daly Pilot Podcast Project" I think Daly and Gourley explicitly discuss August being one of the only guys on the show who's not a violent sociopath.

Same. August Lindt was my favorite character for how enthusiastic he was about everything, especially suicide via hanging from the Hollywood sign.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Garth_Marenghi posted:

Holy Crap, I totally forgot all his vacations were suicide attempts. I knew something was off on this appearance.

It's one of the few times Todd Glass's straight man has been great, sounding completely concerned about August's well-being and trying to talk him out of this suicide.

To which August would grow more enthusiastic about hanging from the Hollywood sign.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I laughed at most segments, especially the key change song. The only one that fell flat for me was the Kenny G battle, Samberg needed to dial back the silly. I understand that my opinion isn't the popular one, as most people loved that sketch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I now need this for every episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm aware of VPN, I just don't really like it. It defeats the whole concept of theater of the mind, as dumb as that may seem.

Awkwardman: Wait, so your beard is actually made of a million little spiders?"
Me watching: Scott, Mike Hanford doesn't have facial hair.

Who Charted and Getting Doug with High work for VPN pretty well. I4H's YouTube segment obviously works better on VPN, too, but that's about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This guy gets it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He's openly smoked weed on a bunch of podcasts, not really surprised.

Poor bro

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sounded like Comic chat lasted much longer than we actually heard and it got edited down drastically.

Which is a shame, I actually really enjoy Scott's comics digressions, it was great in the early days of CDR/CBB.

Why isn't there an Earwolf comic book podcast?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

Everyone doing podcasts works and lives in LA so they think everyone loves reality TV.

I actually just tweeted to Scott and Gerry about an earwolf comic podcast and Gerry messaged me back saying it'd be fun, so maybe it isn't too far-fetched.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I would love some kind of reality show show

They have more than one already.

The Ape of Naples posted:

That's a darn good question.

"U X-plainin' X-men to Me?"

"U Talkin' Uatu To Me?"

I like "X-Plainin'", though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
gently caress, beat me. Mine's slightly different, though.

U Watchin' Uatu 4 Me?

Great minds think alike, SpacePig. :hfive:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It probably only saw a release because of Jane Lynch. It's not like she ever comes in to record episodes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because the first joke is about how the beginning is the peak of the episode and it's all downhill from there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked Drew Tarver's character and thought he was really funny, but the first act was either really poorly chosen straight character bits or a bunch of people that don't get the joke and are kind of assholes anytime Scott tries.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
She's really funny in Role Models, Best In Show/A Mighty Wind and her one scene in Walk Hard.

She works best as a straight character who matter-of-factly veers into dark material with nonchalance, but she pretty much phones it in now that she's got her Glee money.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It really is. I usually don't go for Middleditch's characters, but this has been one of the best he's done, and it's the best episode featuring the lovely lads from SillyCone Valet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping they'd get the cast of the new MST3k reboot, and today my wish was granted!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Garth_Marenghi posted:

I'm afraid to listen, like my childhood will be destroyed if it's a bad episode. I still can't bring myself to watch the new episodes.

What the hell? The new eps are some of the best ever, and this CBB is pretty funny

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, they played Would You Rather

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I like that even Scott has a dislike for Kevin's creepy picture taking habits.

I missed this joke.

Overall, great episode. It sucks we had to deal with a soft run of not-good episodes, but the last few have been great. I love Zouks and Gino together, ALW is just icing on the cake.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I'm so glad Scott pointed out the use of the phrase "close to the chest" in The Dark Knight because the weird stilted dialog is what bothers me the most about that series (eg. "mob dealers", the forced and awkward use of "rises" in TDKR)

I know he's brought this up a few times before, but this is the first time the guests jumped on it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How Did This Get Made wastes Scott on the Sharknado series when he'd be much better at comic book and superhero movies or really dumb things in nerd culture.

One of my all-time favorite CBB bits, and I mean top 5 bits, is Scott, Victor, Tiny and Alex Borstein (ep. 320 "Charging Kids") reenacting Star Wars in 10 minutes when Scott comes in near the very end with a silly voice: 'Hey guys. It's me. Luke. How's it going. Remember when I was a moisture farmer on Tatooine? That was weird, right? Moisture farmer?'

I can't find a clip, but it gets me every time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me why Todd Barry is roasting the hell out of Brendan Walsh on Twitter for being a hack?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

boxcarhobo posted:

theyve been doing that on twitter for years

e: for reference

https://storify.com/mobab/brendon-walsh-todd-barry-best-frenemies

Thanks! I found that after I looked deeper, I just didn't know if there was more context other, like maybe actual beef between them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
drat, this is a great episode. I love Gino.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's Right, GUMSHOES!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what Mary Holland is trying to do, but she broke everyone and it's hilarious

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ming is best. Regina Crimp is second best. Chief is 3rd best

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a hard time finding a reason why this episode shouldn't be in my top 10 CBB episodes. I know that's crazy, but that many guests in a podcast over 3 hours long should not have managed to make me laugh through the entire run time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

"I try everything I can to find Carmen Sandiego."
"What have you tried?"
"Huh?"

I laughed so hard tears (for fears) fell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Ming is one of my favorite characters, and I'm honestly not sure why people dislike him so much. Also, this entire episode was great, and Bone Queef was the only character that didn't quite land for me, and I feel like she was only funny in that Chief wasn't going along with a lot of setups.

Also, the funniest part of the show was Lapkus flat-out refusing to do more of P'Nut.

His first appearance, when he was a sports journalist who didn't really know sports or anything about journalism, was okaynot funny. He's much funnier when he's defensive and refusing to be anyone's fool. He's no one's buster.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Ming is an interesting character because his ethnicity has 0% to do you do with the jokes he makes.
"Raise your hand if you're a woman."

Yeah, that's why I think it's fine. Same with Victor and Tiny, the joke is never about their ethnicity, the closest it does is with Victor's speech impediment.

It hasn't been mentioned, but I really loved Gino and PFT ragging Scott for his "Jewy" name and Scott just trying to roll with the punches.

Is there any other good Mary Holland episodes that aren't behind a pay wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With her milky white breasts!